Knicks will get trade exception for Minny

iSaYughh

Starter
Isnt Dalembert on the Kings?

My bad, partial self ownage. Still don't see Sac just dumping him. Especially when our need is so obvious, and the aura of desperation is back (especially if there is any credence that Dolan is getting cocksure and more hands on, as well as Isiah)

teacher

Rookie
Hi.
I can think of: Dalambert, Murphy, Jamison, Kaman. As far as we are concerned of a big man that can rebound and play D.

iSaYughh

Starter
Isnt Dalembert on the Kings? Nevermind I gotcha. Imagine if we could snag Marc Gasol? Highly highly doubtful

Griz win the war for Gasol, but thatd be great. I cant imagine how beefy a salary he will command tho. They have been gearing up all season to make the biggest push to retain him. And we don't have the assets to really make a compelling offer.

Jordan really is the promised land. Better fit for us, arguably; definitely cheaper, and we might be able to make a legit move for him given his somewhat-still under the radar status, and the Clips maybe hanging onto Kaman.

If those guys fizzle...Glen Davis. Solid fit. Solid, pretty versatile big. Unrestricted. And better chance BOS pushes to hang onto Perkins above all else given how they play.

moneyg

Starter
Griz win the war for Gasol, but thatd be great. I cant imagine how beefy a salary he will command tho. They have been gearing up all season to make the biggest push to retain him. And we don't have the assets to really make a compelling offer.

Jordan really is the promised land. Better fit for us, arguably; definitely cheaper, and we might be able to make a legit move for him given his somewhat-still under the radar status, and the Clips maybe hanging onto Kaman.

If those guys fizzle...Glen Davis. Solid fit. Solid, pretty versatile big. Unrestricted. And better chance BOS pushes to hang onto Perkins above all else given how they play.

Looks like we wont be getting it.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta..._Player_Exceptions_One_A_League_Record_$1715M

SlimChin

Rookie
Thats ALOT bro, that explains it very well. So this is just an added bonus to acquiring a top player in the game and dumping Currys contract. Hopefully they will use it on a big man like others have already posted (Camby, Kaman, etc.).

Once again, thanks for the info.

I think Camby has to have knee surgery again.

la2ny

Starter
What are you reading? It says Denver gets the trade exceptions.

Goddamn!! Denver made out like bandits. They should get Executive of the Year.
When I first read it, it said nothing about us loosing a player exception. Now it does. Must have been edited.

Either way Donnie stated the Knicks aren't done trying to acquire a big. Whether through 10 day contracts, d-league, or trades. We could still trade Brewer, though I'd like to keep him, and Azubuike. I listed some bigs in the other thread we could acquire who are cheap and fit what we need in the rebounding department, defensive department, and just being a 7 footer. Which guy would you like? Maybe a Ryan Hollins, Jeff Foster, Nazr Mouhammed, etc?

STAT1

Starter

The Knicks will not receive a traded player exception from Minnesota. Eddy Curry and Anthony Randolph are absorbed by the Wolves using their cap space and by sending Corey Brewer to New York in exchange.

Denver was over the cap and this is why traded player exceptions were necessary. Because the Knicks were under the cap, they received no exceptions from Minnesota.

That's a damn shame! That trade exception really could have been a huge asset for us.

mafra

Legend
Seems like everyone made out on this deal. Minny got the player they wanted (randolph) and Denver made out for sure.

People bash Melo, but look at how he hooked his old team up. Think Cle or Tor would like something akin to what Den just got?

Folks bash the players, the precedent now established and the current system... But why shouldn't they exercise their rights.

For every Carmelo there are 10 Feltons. How did owners treat him? Just tossed him out with the garbage.

I just hate a system where paper trades have to match salaries. Like when a team owns the rights to a player (Curry, Van Horn, Big Z) and trade that player, when everyone knows they won't go or be wanted. These exemptions stink as well.

Dolan gave up everything. Min and Den played us... But we really couldn't afford to go anu other way.

Melo was going to sign with NJ.

We get Billups, Melo, Williams, Brewer. This 4 is better than the 4 we traded. We still have a first this year. We have cap space after 2011.

All we need is 1 C and a backup PG. We should be able to scrounge this up in the Summer. Then get a PG after 2011.

We got Carmelo and Amar'e. If somebody told me when Walsh was hired that he would deliver these 2 HOF players in their prime, and this was plan-B, I would have traded the entire team to make it happen. He did it and we got fields and billups, and shawne williams and corey brewer. Let's go.

iSaYughh

Starter
What are you reading? It says Denver gets the trade exceptions.

Goddamn!! Denver made out like bandits. They should get Executive of the Year.

The sad thing is...it's new jack amateur hour over there....Or was.

Nothing beats sharpening a young front office's fangs like making a deal with the Knicks, when Isiah and Dolan are involved in any meaningful way.

But shit, all these "role players" aren't necessary that we traded...Toss em all in and just get the deal done, dont let another second go by.

Except....they are the exact pieces necessary to make us a legit contender in this day's NBA, and are the exact players we will not be able to afford, save for extremely shrewd drafting/pickups, or a windfall.

Of which, Walsh is prolly capable of executing. But will he even be around? And if he is, will he even be in peak form, or encumbered by Dolan/Isiah?