Lin apparently signed $40M offer sheet from Houston. NY have 3 days to match

What should the penalty for racist behavior be on here?

• Ban

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Temporary ban

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warning

• Scolding

• Whatever! I'm sure we can just ignore it.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
This is an EXCELLENT deal for the Knicks.

It is only a guaranteed 3-year option, if they don't want him for the fourth year, whatever. Couldn't have gone any better.

I think it goes 5.25 for the first year, 5.5 for the second year, 9.5 (that's the big one) for the third year, and 9.5 for the fourth year but the fourth year is a team option year.

Good deal overall.

STAT1

Starter
This is an EXCELLENT deal for the Knicks.

It is only a guaranteed 3-year option, if they don't want him for the fourth year, whatever. Couldn't have gone any better.

I think it goes 5.25 for the first year, 5.5 for the second year, 9.5 (that's the big one) for the third year, and 9.5 for the fourth year but the fourth year is a team option year.

Good deal overall.

Question:

Do the Knicks necessarily have to match that exact contract, or can they spread the dollars out evenly or even frontload the contract over those same 3 years w/4th year team option for the same overall dollar amount? So let's say they frontload the contract to be $9M in each of the 1st 2 seasons, then it goes down to $5M per over the last 2 years when the luxury tax penalties become harsher? Is that feasible or is that not allowed under the current CBA?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
easily being matched. Theres a club option for the 4th year, so if lins a perennial allstar by then, then 9 mil is a bargin if not he's coming off the books his 3rd year--so do STAT, MElo and Chandler--so that helps us. at the end of year 3 we look at our roster and see whos worth coming back and whos not. rockets did us somewhat of a favor i think.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
We just freed ourselves of Isiah overpaying point guards. Remember "STARBURY"? How about Stevie Franchise? Remember the losing seasons that followed? PG are a dime a dozen. Our money is invested in the front court where it belongs. Now that's good business.:)

If our star-studded front court was balling according to their salaries, we wouldn't be needing Linsanity to make it into postseason. In fact, after the failed PG experinments, shouldn't we be more appreciative of the importance of a true PG?

Give Lin what he wants. It's not like Dolan hasn't overpaid before. Comparing to what he paid for STAT and Melo, Lin's asking price is only average. Stuckey made 8.5 mil last season. Felton made 7.5 mil. I'll take Lin over both of them.

Wargames

Starter
easily being matched. Theres a club option for the 4th year, so if lins a perennial allstar by then, then 9 mil is a bargin if not he's coming off the books his 3rd year--so do STAT, MElo and Chandler--so that helps us. at the end of year 3 we look at our roster and see whos worth coming back and whos not. rockets did us somewhat of a favor i think.

they owed us for that damn T Mac deal...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
$#%@*&

I don't think he's earned that much cash yet. I would like to see more from him. Most times dudes get lazy, become too relaxed after getting a fat paycheck. I like Lin but I don't think he's worth that gamble yet, especially after he's had knee surgury...which I'm sure might affect a big part of his game, that nice first step he had might be gone.

I'll take a chance with Felton, Billups, Sessons and/or maybe a unsigned PG to dish dimes to Stat, Melo, Chandler, J.R. We don't need a scoring PG right now. We need defense, passing to our lead scorers, tuffness...and most of all experience...if we're fortunate enough.

You honestly believe that Lin's not worth that contract to this franchise that'll pay the tax anyway? A contract that has an option (apparently) for the team in the last season anyway. Is it the c(r)ap, in your mind that makes this seem excessive?

He's up for grabs, he's played with this team's core and coach, his penetration game is at a very high level, his defense is respectable, AND, as we've all been saying, Dolan's gonna pay through the nose because he'll get it all back anyway.

Add Kidd to the fray, and you have a championship mentor to guide Lin through his tutelage at 24 (25 by season's start) years of age, combined with the right ethic, approach and a highly capable mind.

And you'd prefer to see more from a player before he's signed to a new contract. Doesn't really work that way, does it? You follow it up with a generalization about him following the suit of failures and becoming lazy. His injury was minor, barely even debilitating, but the correct precautions were taken at a professional level.

You then, amazingly, go on to refer to a group of names that were outclassed by Lin last season (including Billups, who had a far worse injury than Lin last year and is going on 37) as suitable, if not more fitting replacements.

CONGRATULATIONS! You're a nitwit. :eek:hboy:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
No idea why the Rockets did this, but this is a deal I won't lose sleep over.

Only disappointing news today is that we're apparently gonna use the mini-mid-level on Kidd. I wanted Kidd on the Knicks (posted about it this morning) but I wanted to preserve the mini-mid and use it on an underrated big like Jason Thompson.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
No idea why the Rockets did this, but this is a deal I won't lose sleep over.

Only disappointing news today is that we're apparently gonna use the mini-mid-level on Kidd. I wanted Kidd on the Knicks (posted about it this morning) but I wanted to preserve the mini-mid and use it on an underrated big like Jason Thompson.
Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
well looky here: “@HowardBeckNYT: Also in my story tonight: Knicks trying to arrange sign/trade for Kidd. http://nyti.ms/MMB36n”

Crazy⑧s;240191 said:
You honestly believe that Lin's not worth that contract to this franchise that'll pay the tax anyway? A contract that has an option (apparently) for the team in the last season anyway. Is it the c(r)ap, in your mind that makes this seem excessive?

He's up for grabs, he's played with this team's core and coach, his penetration game is at a very high level, his defense is respectable, AND, as we've all been saying, Dolan's gonna pay through the nose because he'll get it all back anyway.

Add Kidd to the fray, and you have a championship mentor to guide Lin through his tutelage at 24 (25 by season's start) years of age, combined with the right ethic, approach and a highly capable mind.

And you'd prefer to see more from a player before he's signed to a new contract. Doesn't really work that way, does it? You follow it up with a generalization about him following the suit of failures and becoming lazy. His injury was minor, barely even debilitating, but the correct precautions were taken at a professional level.

You then, amazingly, go on to refer to a group of names that were outclassed by Lin last season (including Billups, who had a far worse injury than Lin last year and is going on 37) as suitable, if not more fitting replacements.

Lol...you waited until all the details come b4 responding. I too dont see this deal being as bad as it initially was( knowing kid is now in the mix). Damn near everyone was feeling iffy about lin and this deal. He was waived twice. Rode the bench and cruse the D league. We No one knew crap about him before he was thrown into the mix out of desperation.
I still want to see if hes healthy and can improve. He isn't the only dude that had a few great games until the league adapted. Can he adapt again? Do we really know who JLin really is? Just from a few games...after surgery? Haha seriously.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
we should match it. we're already over the cap in 2014 so we dont need to worry about that. it'll be a luxury tax hit but we'll quickly compensate with the money lin reels in. i was under the impression that if we brought in felton; its more likely than we'll let lin walk and if we get kidd; its more likely that we'll keep lin to be mentored by him

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;240191 said:

I'd say there is an argument against thecontract looking at it from a basketball perspective only. He has 1/2 a year of real NBA experience, and while he put up good numbers, there is the turnover issue, injury problem, and a lot of question marks. Worst case scenario you could see a guy whose body can't take a full NBA season at the minutes the knicks were playing him.

However, if barrea is worth 4/19mil, calderon is worth 5/45 mil, conley 5/40mil, afflalo 5/40, etc...4/30 might not be too bad given his potential to be the glue for this team.

Then there is the whole Linsanity factor....He is a $$$$ machine for the Knicks, who will get back every dollar they pay in luxury tax on him as long as he can stay as the starting point guard (they will do everything in their power to keep him there). It's not just the Knicks... he would bring in cash for any team that he is on, since his fans are loyal to him. I would bet almost anything that if the Knicks wanted to move Lin after signing this contract, but before the luxury tax penalty kicks in, plenty of teams under the cap would take the 2/20 million option, and not look back. Bottom line is this contract situation isn't a huge risk/deal.

Last edited:

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Marc Berman ‏@NYPost_Berman
#Knicks spent lot of day working on sign and trade with Dallas to preserve mini midlevel but couldn't complete. Confident though.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The luxury tax isn't an issue because James Dolan literally does not give a ****. He does not give a ****. He literally paid 40 million dollars in luxury tax during the 2009-2010 season. The luxury tax means jack **** to the Knicks.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Lol...you waited until all the details come b4 responding. I too dont see this deal being as bad as it initially was( knowing kid is now in the mix). Damn near everyone was feeling iffy about lin and this deal. He was waived twice. Rode the bench and cruse the D league. We No one knew crap about him before he was thrown into the mix out of desperation.
I still want to see if hes healthy and can improve. He isn't the only dude that had a few great games until the league adapted. Can he adapt again? Do we really know who JLin really is? Just from a few games...after surgery? Haha seriously.

The timing of the details was purely circumstantial. Feel free to be convinced otherwise. But in the end, the results could have only been different by a certain amount. Are you just grumpy about Nash not joining, or are you really that unimpressed by Jeremy Lin?

And damn near everyone my anus.

You seem to be awfully convinced about your detraction, BTW. It was more than a few games, and dropping 38 on the Lakers is no small feat. Yes, he was thrown in to the mix out of desperation, but that doesn't change the fact that he lead this team out of the doldrums of underachieving. We have all seen what he's capable of. On top of that we know that he's capable mentally of just as much, if not more, than he is physically. Adaptation, though it's not a given, presumably will not be an issue for Jeremy Lin.

There are a myriad of better point guards out there, but the list of alternatives you provided doesn't match your being unconvinced that Lin's not worth the contract - regardless of whether or not it's a monetary issue. Ramon Sessions :lol: for instance, was maligned for his underachieving in LA when it counted, but you'd still prefer him over Lin?

To quote orangeblobman, 'that's whack sauce'.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Bingo. We don't even know if this boy's body can endure the rigors of an entire NBA season. The kid came from Harvard. There is a reason he was in the D-league. Was it a nice story last year? Yes. Is it worth matching Houston's offer? No. J-Lin fatheads and t-shirts sales should have nothing to do with this decision. I repeat, you don't need a 10 million dollar a year PG to win an NBA title. This has been the case now for about two decades. Not since the bad boy pistons has a PG heavy team won a title. Remember "STARBURY?" It just doesn't work. Let Lin walk, find another guy in the D/summer league that can do the same job, and keep it moving. Shump will be back as well before it's over. This is MELO's team now. We don't need an injury-prone, overpaid, rookie that shoots to much running point.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman 3h Sources: #Knicks will match Jeremy’s $28.8M deal with Rockets. "He's their guy,'' said person debriefed on plans. nyp.st/MNIJ8C

Status
Not open for further replies.