Mozgov should be getting consistent minutes..

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Mozgov should get minutes but the benching was good for him. It doesn't do him any good to get jeered by the Garden crowd for dropping passes and fouling excessively.

On the bench he could let Amar'e/Felton/etc. get the brunt of the NY Media attention while he worked on his game and improved. And his work ethic paid off - sources were raving about how he worked his ass off to become a better player.

We can only hope that Randolph used the opportunity equally well.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Mozgov should get minutes but the benching was good for him. It doesn't do him any good to get jeered by the Garden crowd for dropping passes and fouling excessively.

On the bench he could let Amar'e/Felton/etc. get the brunt of the NY Media attention while he worked on his game and improved. And his work ethic paid off - sources were raving about how he worked his ass off to become a better player.

We can only hope that Randolph used the opportunity equally well.

same page bro...same page

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I don't get all this shit about how we should've been playing Mozgov the entire time, etc.

Doesn't it make the slightest bit of sense to some here that allowing a raw and undeveloped player to get significant minutes and make a ton of mistakes might actually be damaging to his psyche and confidence?

Is it really good for Randolph/Mozgov to be booed by the Garden crowd for missing shots? Let's face it the Garden crowd is a pretty harsh one and it doesn't tolerate players who play weak as shit, which is what Mozgov was doing earlier in the year, dropping easy passes, getting dunked on by Beast Griffin, and accumulating 4 fouls within 6 minutes.

It's the same reason you don't let a pitcher who's given up 6 runs already just stay in there and take a beating for the sake of saving your bullpen (if he's a young up and coming guy, that is). You take him out so his confidence doesn't get shattered.

Mozgov getting too much playing time could very well have ruined his confidence. It also could have earned him some ire in the locker room - this is the ****ing NBA, not high school ball. You have to earn a starting spot. You don't just get one because you're the only 7 footer on the roster. You have to prove that you're ready to play, and Mozgov was raw and thus not ready to be playing.

Furthermore, he can't concentrate on working on his game if he's expected to play. He'll have those pre-game jitters and be worried about performing and not getting booed at the garden, and that'll lead to him not being able to focus in practice. If he knows he's not going to play and that he's in the doghouse so he can work on his game and improve, then that eliminates any distractions and allows him to take some time and really just become a better player and work on the basic skills (ie ENGLISH) that players need rather than have him worry about whether or not the media is going to blast him to hell for dropping another high pass from Raymond Felton.

I don't get all this shit about how we should've been playing Mozgov the entire time, etc.

Doesn't it make the slightest bit of sense to some here that allowing a raw and undeveloped player to get significant minutes and make a ton of mistakes might actually be damaging to his psyche and confidence?

Is it really good for Randolph/Mozgov to be booed by the Garden crowd for missing shots? Let's face it the Garden crowd is a pretty harsh one and it doesn't tolerate players who play weak as shit, which is what Mozgov was doing earlier in the year, dropping easy passes, getting dunked on by Beast Griffin, and accumulating 4 fouls within 6 minutes.

It's the same reason you don't let a pitcher who's given up 6 runs already just stay in there and take a beating for the sake of saving your bullpen (if he's a young up and coming guy, that is). You take him out so his confidence doesn't get shattered.

Mozgov getting too much playing time could very well have ruined his confidence. It also could have earned him some ire in the locker room - this is the ****ing NBA, not high school ball. You have to earn a starting spot. You don't just get one because you're the only 7 footer on the roster. You have to prove that you're ready to play, and Mozgov was raw and thus not ready to be playing.

Furthermore, he can't concentrate on working on his game if he's expected to play. He'll have those pre-game jitters and be worried about performing and not getting booed at the garden, and that'll lead to him not being able to focus in practice. If he knows he's not going to play and that he's in the doghouse so he can work on his game and improve, then that eliminates any distractions and allows him to take some time and really just become a better player and work on the basic skills (ie ENGLISH) that players need rather than have him worry about whether or not the media is going to blast him to hell for dropping another high pass from Raymond Felton.
Great post

Man, these have to be the best straw man arguments ever concocted in the history of the internet. I've never seen so much disregard for the facts in my life. (double facepalm)

OK. Someone that has played sports please answer this honestly for me. Someone that had some sort of talent on the field, court, diamond or rink. If you played only because your dad or your uncle coached your HS team no response necessary.

What would build your confidence more playing in a game or practicing against your team mates?

Also.

What would make you lose confidence more quickly, being benched or actually getting some PT?

moneyg

Starter
same page bro...same page

i dont care what anybody says... i still think t moz is a 10-12 min per game players at this stage.. maybe 15.. with chandler and williams and a healthy turiaf.. we are better like that

turiaf should start and tmo shoul be the back up.. simple as that..

im not goin off of one game...aight

in the end...when players get minutes.. they have to force the coach not to sit them.. the proble is gettin the minutes and when.. im not talking about garbage time minutes...

there has been a few cases.. not alot but a few.. where i thought our coach should have inserted him.. even for a few minutes..

Red

TYPE-A
i dont care what anybody says... i still think t moz is a 10-12 min per game players at this stage.. maybe 15.. with chandler and williams and a healthy turiaf.. we are better like that

turiaf should start and tmo shoul be the back up.. simple as that..

im not goin off of one game...aight

in the end...when players get minutes.. they have to force the coach not to sit them.. the proble is gettin the minutes and when.. im not talking about garbage time minutes...

there has been a few cases.. not alot but a few.. where i thought our coach should have inserted him.. even for a few minutes..

No... because he was busy "practicing" and gaining confidence with every DNP-CD. Then when the time was right, and the situation was perfect, and only after we sustain injuries and are fatigued from logging more minutes than anyone at our respective positions...

Then and only then will we choose to release the tsunami of pent up energy and full of practice knowledge we paid $9mil for!

That's what a genius would do. Maybe even put him back in the box and wait to pull him out and strike against our most unaware opposition. They won't know what hit'em...

We know exactly what we have in Moz... we we're just waiting for the perfect time to strike

In fact we was just gonna give him more minutes the next game..this is just a conicidence..

Don't let the previous 10DNP_cd's fool you!

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$

again, same page brother...you understand the game

moneyg

Starter
No... because he was busy "practicing" and gaining confidence with every DNP-CD. Then when the time was right, and the situation was perfect, and only after we sustain injuries and are fatigued from logging more minutes than anyone at our respective positions...

Then and only then will we choose to release the tsunami of pent up energy and full of practice knowledge we paid $9mil for!

That's what a genius would do. Maybe even put him back in the box and wait to pull him out and strike against our most unaware opposition. They won't know what hit'em...

We know exactly what we have in Moz... we we're just waiting for the perfect time to strike

In fact we was just gonna give him more minutes the next game..this is just a conicidence..

Don't let the previous 10DNP_cd's fool you!

so why even start him in the begining of the season?why... so ur saying its a coincidence that guys got hurt and he got mot playin time... come on red

our coach said he was surprised by his play.. ..

turiaf.. wrapped up knees
stat.. sore knee
william suspended
chandler ..calf

i think donnie had alot to do with this move

stop overworkin our franchise player....

Toons

is the Bo$$
what is the goddamned arguement here?????

we all agree that he plays 10-15 mins
we know he sucked early on
we all agree that from what he showed he is ready to be a role player

i strongly believe benching him after his failures was good first for the team, secondly for moz. I believe the coaching staff worked on his rebounding, (which was aways his weak point) and that he has come a long way.
i believe don nelson and danotni know why randolph is not ready to log big minutes more than anyone on this forum. I believe randolph has the potential...but at 21, it is what it is...potential. I believe in our system, and that with the addition of carmelo and a back up pg, our unorthodox uptempo system WILL produce a ring in NYC. I believe that our system is built for the playoffs with the right personel (its not like phx never won a playoff series, they never won a ring, only one team wins it all). I believe mike dantoni teaches defense, but his specialty is on offense. As a basketball player, its only so much motivation a coach can give you. I believe our defense improved from last in the NBA to 16th because of 10 new players. Our coach is the same. I BELIEVE IN FACTS. if u wanna hate, then hate. I bleed orange and blue. fukk what ya heard!

pat

Starter
turiaf.. wrapped up knees
--> played very little minutes to begin with, so he never was at 100 per cent
stat.. sore knee
--> banged knees with whatsisname
william suspended
--> no injury here
chandler ..calf
--> How should Chandler's and Mozgov's minutes influence each other. Please explain.

i think donnie had alot to do with this move stop overworkin our franchise player....

How come you know this? Maybe, and just maybe, MDA saw that Detroit might be the kind of opponent the Gov needed to get it going. Maybe he saw that there front court was so weak that he could actually insert him for a few minutes without hurting our chances to win and it turned out much better than expected. You cannot become -- and stay for so long -- an NBA head coach with the IQ you believe MDA has.

CoolClyde

i strongly believe benching him after his failures was good first for the team, secondly for moz. I believe the coaching staff worked on his rebounding, (which was aways his weak point) and that he has come a long way.

i believe don nelson and danotni know why randolph is not ready to log big minutes more than anyone on this forum. I believe randolph has the potential...but at 21, it is what it is...potential. I believe in our system, and that with the addition of carmelo and a back up pg, our unorthodox uptempo system WILL produce a ring in NYC. I believe that our system is built for the playoffs with the right personel (its not like phx never won a playoff series, they never won a ring, only one team wins it all). I believe mike dantoni teaches defense, but his specialty is on offense. As a basketball player, its only so much motivation a coach can give you. I believe our defense improved from last in the NBA to 16th because of 10 new players. Our coach is the same. I BELIEVE IN FACTS. if u wanna hate, then hate. I bleed orange and blue. fukk what ya heard!

:agreed:
good post Toons.
ya gotta believe!

moneyg

Starter
--> played very little minutes to begin with, so he never was at 100 per cent

--> banged knees with whatsisname

--> no injury here

--> How should Chandler's and Mozgov's minutes influence each other. Please explain.

How come you know this? Maybe, and just maybe, MDA saw that Detroit might be the kind of opponent the Gov needed to get it going. Maybe he saw that there front court was so weak that he could actually insert him for a few minutes without hurting our chances to win and it turned out much better than expected. You cannot become -- and stay for so long -- an NBA head coach with the IQ you believe MDA has.

ah yo pat.. what the fizuk r u talk bout...im mean really

turiaf is a 20+ minute a game player.. when u see a player with his knees wrapped like that on the bench.. not at the end of a game.. he done for the night.. aight

stat was questionalbe for the detroit game... because someonefell on his knee not because he banged it in that game..

when chandler is playin the PF and amare center .. any injury affects all...

r we watchin the same game or r u watching the highlights of the game

the simple fact is that if not for 4 player hurt/out/limping/limited.. what ever u want to call it..

t moz would not have pplayed.. but i seriouslty think walsh talk to our coach abouyt overusing stat once he got injured the game before..ok the game before stat got injured... aight...he banged the other knee.. againsrt detriot... the microfracture one..

jeez

moneyg

Starter

ur right .. my argument is we would not have senn tmoz for 40 minutes if we were not short handed...and thats the facts

MusketeerX

Rotation player
MoneyG is right. Timo would never have made it off th epine if it were not some fluke injures/suspensions/foul trouble.

D'Antoni is an idiot.

For anyone that disputes the facts that only top ten defensive teams have won championships for the last ten years -- look it up.

D'Antoni's offense pushes gaudy numbers, but it doesn't make players the best they can be. To suggest that Steve Nash is no longer the player he once was because of Antoni's absence is ridiculous -- the guy is just older and has a bad back. Plain and simple.

The question is -- after Mozgov's performance against Detroit -- how long has he been ready to play? If he could have done this a month ago, or even two weeks ago (before the 6 game slide), which I'm willing to bet he could... then D'Antoni messed up big time.

Randolph had 5 boards (four of which were offensive) in 7 minutes, and the poor kid won't get off the pine. You only learn by doing. Practice is not enough.

D'Antoni needs to go...

MoneyG is right. Timo would never have made it off th epine if it were not some fluke injures/suspensions/foul trouble.

D'Antoni is an idiot.

For anyone that disputes the facts that only top ten defensive teams have won championships for the last ten years -- look it up.

D'Antoni's offense pushes gaudy numbers, but it doesn't make players the best they can be. To suggest that Steve Nash is no longer the player he once was because of Antoni's absence is ridiculous -- the guy is just older and has a bad back. Plain and simple.

The question is -- after Mozgov's performance against Detroit -- how long has he been ready to play? If he could have done this a month ago, or even two weeks ago (before the 6 game slide), which I'm willing to bet he could... then D'Antoni messed up big time.

Randolph had 5 boards (four of which were offensive) in 7 minutes, and the poor kid won't get off the pine. You only learn by doing. Practice is not enough.

D'Antoni needs to go...

^^^^:agreed:
I like this guy :D

Welcome to the KO.com

Toons

is the Bo$$
"You just got to be professional," Randolph told HOOPSWORLD. "They pay you a lot of money to do what you do, so you just got to go with the flow and keep on working. Hopefully when you get your opportunity you've done enough to be prepared for it."

Randolph got a small chance on Sunday, following Shawne Williams' one-game suspension. In nine minutes of action, he missed one field goal but still managed to grab five rebounds as the Knicks beat Detroit 124-106. Of course, that was the game that Timofey Mozgov exploded for 23 points and 14 rebounds, so Randolph's second appearance in the month of January wasn't necessarily big news.

But that could change tonight against the Dallas Mavericks. If the Knicks want to showcase Randolph for if Sunday's performance holds any merit, Randolph could start to see some court time.

"If I'm able to play, when I'm out there, I just have to play hard and earn my way back into the rotation," Randolph said.

He's also quick to point out that he doesn't mind playing center. Former Warriors coach Don Nelson put him at the 5 last year, and he reportedly wanted to go back to forward. Now, however, he has no preference.

"I will play anything as long as I get to play basketball," he said. "I just miss playing, that's all."

Randolph has appeared in only 15 games this season and has played more than 15 minutes in a game only once.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18653#ixzz1Cqp0iExy

today's quote from randolph....

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
It's messed up D'Antoni doesn't know how to use this kid. He CLEARLY wants to be out there & IMO he can definitely contribute.