NBA Summer League 2018

mafra

Legend
?It should come as no surprise that Wendell Carter Jr. and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who were among the picks for the best rookie in summer league in our 5-on-5 on Monday, crack the leaderboard. But when it comes to exceeding expectations, they can't quite match New York Knicks second-round pick Mitchell Robinson.

Despite a relatively strong projection based on his effective play in the 2016 Nike EYBL, Robinson still leads all rookies on this list by virtue of the best per-minute win percentage for any player in summer league this year. Robinson made 67 percent of his 2-point attempts, pulled down more than a quarter of all available offensive rebounds and swatted one in every seven opponent 2-point attempts. He's the early favorite for steal of the draft.

Incidentally, if you're wondering about Robinson's teammate Kevin Knox, his advanced statistics didn't quite match up to the hype he generated in Las Vegas. Because he shot just 17-of-49 (35 percent) on 2-point attempts, Knox's improvement over his projection ranked just 54th of the 93 qualifying players.?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24116543/can-nba-summer-league-predict-surprise-stars

tiger0330

Legend
I commented when CLE selected Sexton at 8 that the highlights they showed of him was worthy of an 8th pick, Nits not so much. This will be a pivotal year for him where the Knicks find out what position he's best suited to play. Looking at that one summer league game he played well, he may be better off the ball getting his shot off against smaller guys on fade aways and turnaround jumpers or post moves like he did in that game. I don't think he'll ever have the ability to break down a defense like a Sexton or DM. Also disappointing that his body didn't hold up enough to play more games and he's had similar issues in the past when we were calling him fragile Frank. The Knicks will most likely pick up his 3rd year option this Nov so he's got some time to develop while a Knick, it would be huge for us if he develops into a starter to complement our young core.

mafra

Legend
NY_KnicksPR

@NY_KnicksPR
Kevin Knox was named to the All-NBA Summer League First Team after averaging 21.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists over four games.
3:33 PM - Jul 17, 2018

Yes, our beloved Knox, along with Wendell Carter Jr., Collin Sexton, Christian Wood and Summer League MVP Josh Hart, was given the very important distinction of being one of the five best players to compete in the summer basketball classic this year.

The All-NBA Summer League Second Team is composed of Phoenix Suns center Deandre Ayton, Trail Blazers guard Wade Baldwin IV, Memphis Grizzlies forward Jaren Jackson Jr., Lakers forward Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Young.

So, on the second team, you have Ayton (14.5 points/10.5 rebounds/1 block per game) and Jackson Jr. (11.2/8.2/3.8), but not Robinson (13/10.2/4). I think the Russians hacked the voting to keep the Knicks down. It?s the only possible explanation for such a glaring omission. This will easily go down as one of the most egregious award snubs in NBA history. Shame on the voters!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.postingandtoasting.com/platform/amp/2018/7/17/17583946/kevin-knox-made-the-all-nba-summer-league-first-team

Broadway

All Star
There?s nothing given here... Knits might never be as good as Hart is right now.

Still, if we would?ve grabbed Hart after his sophomore year at Villanova and tossed him in the SL... he would probably resemble what Knits is right now.

There?s nothing to suggest Knits will ever gab anything by the reigns... but Hart is almost 4 years older... that makes a big difference.

I?m gonna wait and see what Knits is like at 22, then compare that to what Hart is right now.

What else can we do? But, again, Hart played 4 years of college ball... heavy minutes... he?s 4 years older (meaning his body and mind and confidence is 4 years fully more mature).

Knits supposedly ate up younger competition, in international games, when pitted against peers his age. He defers on offense right now bc If his youth (hopefully).

PG really tough for teenagers against NBA talent. Not many have excelled as teenagers.

Knits was playing against Pros for 2yrs while Hart wasn't, therefore the 4yr gap in college isn't what it's metric out to be. I'll give you body but once again Knits size and length was supposed to be a tipping point against the field in which he could've displayed this in two Summer Leagues with dominance but hasn't. Sexton is a baby himself and looks like he can start for the Cavs tomorrow

mafra

Legend
Knits was playing against Pros for 2yrs while Hart wasn't, therefore the 4yr gap in college isn't what it's metric out to be. I'll give you body but once again Knits size and length was supposed to be a tipping point against the field in which he could've displayed this in two Summer Leagues with dominance but hasn't. Sexton is a baby himself and looks like he can start for the Cavs tomorrow

As a 16/17 year-old Knits played 35 games... never started... averages 8 minutes per game. The next year, he played 32 games and averages 18 minutes per contest.

34,36,40,36 games played freshman-senior years for Hart. 21-35-31-33 minutes per game for Hart his 4 years at Villanova.

6 points per game and 3 assists per game in 21 mpg for Knits this year.

8 points per game and 1 assist per game in 21 mpg for Hart this year.

As you see, despite playing a lot more... for 4 years at Villanova... Hart basically posted the same offensive numbers as Knits their rookie campaigns, and Knits did this at 19 (with hart being 23)...

I?m not making much out of a good 2 weeks in Las Vegas. Is it an indictment inn knits? On Euro play? I don?t think so...

As you saw, 2 years as a role player in a French pro league had Knits pretty much on level with Hart, who played heavy minutes, for 4 seasons, at NCAA?s highes level.

Fans see a guy who scores 20 points but does little else as a better player, than a solid team guy who score 10 a game but does a lot of other things... AAU just prepares these kids to be selfish and score. Their games, for most part, are limited to that.

So, when NBA arrives... these kids know how to score... perhaps better than the Euro. But Knits played better defense, and had same peripheral stats... half as many rebounds tho... but again... 4 year difference.

mafra

Legend
Sexton probably would?ve been my choice over both Bridges. Would I take Knox over him, probably bc of roster need ...

But Sexton is a basketball junkie... Sexton and Knits would?ve been fun.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
A lot of times Euro players are projects because even though they're playing in pro European leagues, those leagues are very big on seniority. It's common for young players in Europe to just rot on the bench and get zero playing time. Most of the time they only get playing time their last season in the league before they come over.

For example, Kristaps played for Sevilla (in the Spanish league, best league in Europe) for 3 years and for the first year he only appeared in 7 games. For his second season he only averaged 14.9 minutes per game, and then in his 3rd season he averaged 21.7 minutes per game.

Doncic had the same thing. He played for Real Madrid (same league) for four years. 1st year he's in 5 games, second year he's averaging 12.9 minutes, 3rd year 19.8 minutes, 4th year 24.3 minutes.

Compare to a guy like Kevin Knox who played 32.4 minutes per game in his freshman year. Or a guy like Hart, who averaged 21.4 minutes per game as a freshman and 33.1 minutes per game as a senior, going up every year. And STILL came into the league barely better than a guy like Ntilikina who has much less experience and is younger.

I'm not saying we know Knits will be amazing but we also have no idea what he could do. Summer League is a small sample size - remember when Josh Selby threw down in Summer League in his 2nd year, only to become a nobody afterwards? The important thing is he's gotten stronger - hopefully he keeps working on his outside shooting. If he can become a reliable 3-and-D player, that's a valuable commodity in this league

tiger0330

Legend
A lot of times Euro players are projects because even though they're playing in pro European leagues, those leagues are very big on seniority. It's common for young players in Europe to just rot on the bench and get zero playing time. Most of the time they only get playing time their last season in the league before they come over.

For example, Kristaps played for Sevilla (in the Spanish league, best league in Europe) for 3 years and for the first year he only appeared in 7 games. For his second season he only averaged 14.9 minutes per game, and then in his 3rd season he averaged 21.7 minutes per game.

Doncic had the same thing. He played for Real Madrid (same league) for four years. 1st year he's in 5 games, second year he's averaging 12.9 minutes, 3rd year 19.8 minutes, 4th year 24.3 minutes.

Compare to a guy like Kevin Knox who played 32.4 minutes per game in his freshman year. Or a guy like Hart, who averaged 21.4 minutes per game as a freshman and 33.1 minutes per game as a senior, going up every year. And STILL came into the league barely better than a guy like Ntilikina who has much less experience and is younger.

I'm not saying we know Knits will be amazing but we also have no idea what he could do. Summer League is a small sample size - remember when Josh Selby threw down in Summer League in his 2nd year, only to become a nobody afterwards? The important thing is he's gotten stronger - hopefully he keeps working on his outside shooting. If he can become a reliable 3-and-D player, that's a valuable commodity in this league
His outside shooting is not there yet, I think it's absolutely critical for him improve it if he wants to avoid being a Brandon Jennings type of bust.

Broadway

All Star

Maybe we shouldn't have drafted him then if this is the case for Euro lack of definition Knits 3yrs there. I always stated he should've shown more over there to not be coming off the bench only playing 20min/gm or thereabouts. He was pedestrianly used offensively even while on the court in that league

Summer League is an opportunity to show improvement and an installment provision to continue layering hope in a player. If he's stronger, he should learn to play through pain and/or recover quickly to get game reps in. Not have him sit out because we're scared he might revert back to a bad game and/or tweak himself. SL play is not a declaration of how good a player will be so let's not take this out of context but surely it's a right of passage to the next stage in a career

Take for instance didn't Knox show us enough to peg him as a "starter" instead of coming off the bench? Without playing the amount games he played would we know this? And no we're not going to wait 4yrs on Frank to see if he's worth his chops you can best believe that

Kiyaman

Legend
Sexton probably would?ve been my choice over both Bridges. Would I take Knox over him, probably bc of roster need ...

But Sexton is a basketball junkie... Sexton and Knits would?ve been fun.

Wow! Sexton's all-around 2-Way performance in summer-league ball proved to be 1 or even 2 notch better than all the PG selected in the 2017 Draft Class .. after watching Sexton in the summer leagues games i would take Sexton's high IQ over Knox without a 2nd thought.
Sexton n Knits would've made a great young back-court duo for the Knicks the next few years.

Broadway

All Star
I don't have a problem where our guys are ranked but I do have a couple issues with others

Another thing that was great about Summer League play was how many Top Prospects actually competed in the tournament instead of coming in all hollywood as if they didn't have to or looking at it as beneath them.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I don't have a problem where our guys are ranked but I do have a couple issues with others

Another thing that was great about Summer League play was how many Top Prospects actually competed in the tournament instead of coming in all hollywood as if they didn't have to or looking at as beneath them.
Nice post B. Massive jump for our guys Knox and Robinson, Robinson a lottery pick from 36 and Knox only 18 with all that upside yet looking like a starter already. Its only SL but how can Knicks fans not be excited by these 2 along with Trier.

I hope SAC made the right pick with Bagley, not enough of a sample size to judge him but if the Kings can't turn the ship around this season they should dump Vlade and Peja.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Nice post B. Massive jump for our guys Knox and Robinson, Robinson a lottery pick from 36 and Knox only 18 with all that upside yet looking like a starter already. Its only SL but how can Knicks fans not be excited by these 2 along with Trier.

I hope SAC made the right pick with Bagley, not enough of a sample size to judge him but if the Kings can't turn the ship around this season they should dump Vlade and Peja.

Kind of crazy to think what they could've done differently. Vlade arrived in March of 2015...

2015 ~ Kings missed on Booker.

2016 ~ Kings had 3 1st round picks(13, 22, 28) in a draft that didn't have a lot of meat on it's bones. Probably should've packaged those picks for guys like Bobby Portis/Russell/Randle/WHG/Nance Jr./Looney/Harrell/Rozier or for future prospects and dumped a little salary.

2017 ~ Kings did very well from a talent perspective but the results haven't shown. He did flip Cousins into Hield/Jackson/Giles/Mason III I believe to add with Fox

2018 ~ Kings draft Bagley

I mean he has rebuilt with good talent, if you put Kings in the East they could be a surprise team!

tiger0330

Legend
Kind of crazy to think what they could've done differently. Vlade arrived in March of 2015...

2015 ~ Kings missed on Booker.

2016 ~ Kings had 3 1st round picks(13, 22, 28) in a draft that didn't have a lot of meat on it's bones. Probably should've packaged those picks for guys like Bobby Portis/Russell/Randle/WHG/Nance Jr./Looney/Harrell/Rozier or for future prospects and dumped a little salary.

2017 ~ Kings did very well from a talent perspective but the results haven't shown. He did flip Cousins into Hield/Jackson/Giles/Mason III I believe to add with Fox

2018 ~ Kings draft Bagley

I mean he has rebuilt with good talent, if you put Kings in the East they could be a surprise team!
Add WCS, you would think they should be knocking at the door of the playoffs but so far more lottery picks. Maybe Vlade won't get fired in that new building if the attendance holds up but I've been saying they would be a borderline playoff team and they wind up being a bottom of the barrel lottery team.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Maybe we shouldn't have drafted him then if this is the case for Euro lack of definition Knits 3yrs there. I always stated he should've shown more over there to not be coming off the bench only playing 20min/gm or thereabouts. He was pedestrianly used offensively even while on the court in that league

Summer League is an opportunity to show improvement and an installment provision to continue layering hope in a player. If he's stronger, he should learn to play through pain and/or recover quickly to get game reps in. Not have him sit out because we're scared he might revert back to a bad game and/or tweak himself. SL play is not a declaration of how good a player will be so let's not take this out of context but surely it's a right of passage to the next stage in a career

Take for instance didn't Knox show us enough to peg him as a "starter" instead of coming off the bench? Without playing the amount games he played would we know this? And no we're not going to wait 4yrs on Frank to see if he's worth his chops you can best believe that

I mean, I agree. Thus far he's been a disappointment. More worthy of a late-lottery pick than the #8. We just have to *hope* that Clarence Gaines was right when he thought Ntilikina was worthy of that pick. No use in complaining about it. But also no need to read too much into Summer League. I mean, let's look at previous seasons' Summer League MVPs:

2014: Glen Rice Jr., Top Scorer: Also Glen Rice Jr.
2015: Kyle Anderson, Top Scorer: Seth Curry
2016: Tyus Jones, Top Scorer: Trey Lyles
2017: Lonzo Ball, Top Scorer: Donovan Mitchell

Not exactly a group of superstars there. You're harping on the fact that he missed a game, but he probably would've played in the game if it were a regular season game. No use playing guys too much in SL because again it doesn't matter that much. He had a bad game and a good game. That's about all you can say.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Add WCS, you would think they should be knocking at the door of the playoffs but so far more lottery picks. Maybe Vlade won't get fired in that new building if the attendance holds up but I've been saying they would be a borderline playoff team and they wind up being a bottom of the barrel lottery team.

No I subtracted WCS on purpose because they who they passed on Booker for...:teeth: To be fair to Vlade in his first yr I think the Kings were having a hard time getting top prospects in to workout...they were having major issues with Boogie at the time. Remember he and Karl were at Summer League ready to come to blows?

Broadway

All Star
I mean, I agree. Thus far he's been a disappointment. More worthy of a late-lottery pick than the #8. We just have to *hope* that Clarence Gaines was right when he thought Ntilikina was worthy of that pick. No use in complaining about it. But also no need to read too much into Summer League. I mean, let's look at previous seasons' Summer League MVPs:

2014: Glen Rice Jr., Top Scorer: Also Glen Rice Jr.
2015: Kyle Anderson, Top Scorer: Seth Curry
2016: Tyus Jones, Top Scorer: Trey Lyles
2017: Lonzo Ball, Top Scorer: Donovan Mitchell

Not exactly a group of superstars there. You're harping on the fact that he missed a game, but he probably would've played in the game if it were a regular season game. No use playing guys too much in SL because again it doesn't matter that much. He had a bad game and a good game. That's about all you can say.

I'm not reading too much into Summer League "at all" the rebuttals here are reaches. I used Knox as a pinpoint example of what I'm talking about. As far as Hart being the other example look he didn't have to receive that award to validate what appears to be improved play by him. Heck Bleacher Report just released a Draft Re-Order based on Summer League play and all you can do is look at these guys for what they're showing you and go from there.

Knits didn't leave me with any impression he's ready to be a starter at Point Guard for our team but he could have made a convincing argument had he played every game in SL and possibly been a major reason we played more than 5 total. No need to exaggerate for counter argument.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
No reason for him to play every game it's summer league

Most likely his injury was minor and he could've played through it and would've played through it were it the regular season but the team held him out because, again, summer league

Kid played 78 games last year I'm not sure why missing a summer league game is such a big deal

mafra

Legend
?Michael Porter Jr. has undergone surgery of the lumbar spine at The Carrell Clinic in Dallas,? the Nuggets said in a press release. ?The procedure was performed by Dr. Andrew Dossett. There is no timetable for his return to basketball participation.?