Official 2015 NBA Playoff Thread

tiger0330

Legend
I was saying to myself during the NCAA tournament that Justise Winslow reminded me of Jimmmy Butler, similar builds and defensive stoppers coming out of college that needed improvement on the offensive side of the ball, though Winslow is much more heralded coming out of college than Butler.

I said I was afraid if the Knicks picked 5th they would pick WCS for need instead of Winslow who was the better player. The Knicks should get Winslow if its a choice between the two, much higher upside than WCS.

Broadway

All Star
I was saying to myself during the NCAA tournament that Justise Winslow reminded me of Jimmmy Butler, similar builds and defensive stoppers coming out of college that needed improvement on the offensive side of the ball, though Winslow is much more heralded coming out of college than Butler.

I said I was afraid if the Knicks picked 5th they would pick WCS for need instead of Winslow who was the better player. The Knicks should get Winslow if its a choice between the two, much higher upside than WCS.

We definitely could use a player like him. But you see the issue here, every time we see a good player perform well we tend to look at the draft and make the best case scenario comparisons to current players. Much like you did here in which I have no problem with. I've also heard him compared to Kawhai

So let's go with some others say 1-7 of the names that get tossed around as high picks including Justise

Okafor best case = Al Jefferson maybe Duncan

Towns best case = Rasheed maybe Aldridge

Mudiay best case = Westbrook, D-Rose, Wall, maybe Wade

Russell best case = Kidd maybe Steph Curry

Winslow best case = Butler, Kawhai, Harden, maybe Roy

WCS best case = Birdman maybe Camby

Frank best case = Brad Miller maybe Dirk

So no matter who we pick in any scenario, our player must reach their peak while all the others turn out to be more bust-like because look at the potential upside, characteristics all of them may have. There are other players projected to be picked much lower with high upside comparisons....

Such as Devin Booker possibly Gordon Hayward-Klay Thompson esque. I'm not a big comparison type of fan but they will be made as a basis to judge what one initially sees based on eye tests.

This is why we need to get 2 picks in this draft as we can surely bet several of these players are closer in talent than not. Otherwise other teams are getting equal if not greater talent than we are, therefore closing gaps in competition becomes even greater a challenge.

Let's not forget some teams getting lottery talent back next yr with high upside comparisons such as

Bucks - Jabari Parker = "A Melo"

Lakers - Julius Randle = Zach Randolph

Sixers - Joel Embid = Bill Russell Hybrid

It's gonna be hellish either way we slice it, unless something drastic changes

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
We definitely could use a player like him. But you see the issue here, every time we see a good player perform well we tend to look at the draft and make the best case scenario comparisons to current players. Much like you did here in which I have no problem with. I've also heard him compared to Kawhai

So let's go with some others say 1-7 of the names that get tossed around as high picks including Justise

Okafor best case = Al Jefferson maybe Duncan

Towns best case = Rasheed maybe Aldridge

Mudiay best case = Westbrook, D-Rose, Wall, maybe Wade

Russell best case = Kidd maybe Steph Curry

Winslow best case = Butler, Kawhai, Harden, maybe Roy

WCS best case = Birdman maybe Camby

Frank best case = Brad Miller maybe Dirk

So no matter who we pick in any scenario, our player must reach their peak while all the others turn out to be more bust-like because look at the potential upside, characteristics all of them may have. There are other players projected to be picked much lower with high upside comparisons....

Such as Devin Booker possibly Gordon Hayward-Klay Thompson esque. I'm not a big comparison type of fan but they will be made as a basis to judge what one initially sees based on eye tests.

This is why we need to get 2 picks in this draft as we can surely bet several of these players are closer in talent than not. Otherwise other teams are getting equal if not greater talent than we are, therefore closing gaps in competition becomes even greater a challenge.

Let's not forget some teams getting lottery talent back next yr with high upside comparisons such as

Bucks - Jabari Parker = "A Melo"

Lakers - Julius Randle = Zach Randolph

Sixers - Joel Embid = Bill Russell Hybrid

It's gonna be hellish either way we slice it, unless something drastic changes
If it means getting 2 non-lottery picks say between 17-30 I wouldn't be for it but for the number 1, say we can get the 5 and 20 I would say you have to think about it. We'll have to wait until the lottery on May 19 because I think the 76ers are the only team we could pull off a deal like that with so we need to either get the number 1 or have Philly fall to 6th and we get no worse than 3 to enter into a discussion like that with them.

I think there is also going to be a lot of pressure to keep that number one because the player selected might be that once in a generation player that can turn around the Knicks.

Nice post btw.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
If it means getting 2 non-lottery picks say between 17-30 I wouldn't be for it but for the number 1, say we can get the 5 and 20 I would say you have to think about it. We'll have to wait until the lottery on May 19 because I think the 76ers are the only team we could pull off a deal like that with so we need to either get the number 1 or have Philly fall to 6th and we get no worse than 3 to enter into a discussion like that with them.

I think there is also going to be a lot of pressure to keep that number one because the player selected might be that once in a generation player that can turn around the Knicks.

Nice post btw.

The player actually has to be better than we think they're going to be, in the mode of a Anthony Davis type good or better(if anyone could fathom). It's no longer about having the #1 pick versus figuring out who that player is or which one is it or thinking there's only 1. Just because we could end up with the #1 overall pick doesn't mean there aren't multiple generational franchising type talent in this summer's pool.

So if anyone sees a Jimmy Butler or Kawhai in this draft then you almost need to see Duncan, Anthony Davis in someone else.

For the record Jimmy Butler was picked several spots lower(30th) in his draft in comparison to Rose(1rst), both strong drafts.... yet Butler looks like he could be their best player right now even if Rose was healthy. Good grief we picked Shumpert(17th) the same draft Butler was in, Mirotic same draft picked(23rd).

Kiyaman

Legend
We have no shot at Jimmy Butler dude is the Bulls best player right now. Although in a pretend world if we signed him he'd be the best Knicks player

The Bulls are playing the coach of the year (Jason Kidd) who turned a 17 win season Bucks into a .500 team. However .... The Bucks, Celtics, and Nets are not playoff teams they are teams in a weak-weak-weak eastern conference .. all 3 teams should get SWEPT 0-4.

Noah is/has been the best player on the Bulls the past 3 seasons.
Jimmy Butler just found his groove to start playin outstanding in coach Thibs twin-tower system.
I dont see the Bulls giving Butler a max contract, without the Bulls going to the Finals.

Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post

Justise Winslow has more in his package then he showed in his freshmen year .. future NBA Star!
The role we seen Winslow perform in college with teammate Okafor, u can compare their role to Portland's "LaMarcus Aldridge & Brandon Roy" tandem.

Last edited:

Pricey

Rotation player
Justise Winslow has more in his package then he showed in his freshmen year .. future NBA Star!
The role we seen Winslow perform in college with teammate Okafor, u can compare their role to Portland's "LaMarcus Aldridge & Brandon Roy" tandem.

Yep, Winslow has star all over him. His work ethic is incredible going both ways. One of my fave Duke players in many years. If we were unlucky enough to fall to the 5th pick i would be all over him if available.

tiger0330

Legend
Yep, Winslow has star all over him. His work ethic is incredible going both ways. One of my fave Duke players in many years. If we were unlucky enough to fall to the 5th pick i would be all over him if available.
I think he may go as high as 4 over either Mudiay or Russell. He plays the same position as Melo and PJ has said he wants a big defender in the draft so WCS might be the pick if we go 5th. It would be a mistake IMO but its the Knicks.

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah, I'd say that Rondo trade backfired on them. Kiya loves the guy but to me he's overrated. Still the Lakers are said to be interested in signing him to a max deal but I don't think he's worth it.
Well Rondo had his second on-court incident with the Mavs, just wasn't interested in playing in a playoff game. I see he was on the list of FA's the Knicks can get, so if Phil wants him he can get him at a Dollar store discount.

This Rondo isn't the Celts championship season Rondo, if the Lakers want to live in the past let 'em. The Knicks should pass.

tiger0330

Legend
Scotty had a good run but he took them as far he could, it was time for a change. If DFish didn't have a job here I think he would have been in the running for the job.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well Rondo had his second on-court incident with the Mavs, just wasn't interested in playing in a playoff game. I see he was on the list of FA's the Knicks can get, so if Phil wants him he can get him at a Dollar store discount.

This Rondo isn't the Celts championship season Rondo, if the Lakers want to live in the past let 'em. The Knicks should pass.

Owner Cuban shouldve kept PG-Calderon and PG-Jameer Nelson who like the idea of coach Carlisle calling offensive-plays from the bench 80% of the time.
Mavs coach Carlisle was not going to get any effort out of Rondo, when teammates Ellis, Parson, and Dirk are known for not playing DEFENSE, but the trio want the ball to score for 33 mpg.
Rondo's BIG-3 scorers in Boston played hard relentless defense to win a title.

The Houston Rockets defensive-players are scoring at will on the Mavs, plus the Rockets tandem Josh Smith & Howard scored at will embarrassing Mavs tandem Dirk & Tyson throughout the 2nd half of the game.
I agree with Shaq, Rondo had nothing to do with the Mavs 2 losses to the Rockets.
The Rockets DEFENSE vs the Mavs no-defense = Rockets 4-0 SWEEP over Mavs

Phil better hand Rondo a offer-sheet at 9am on July 1st.
The Knicks need a hard veteran PG like Rondo to controll ISO-Melo ballhoggin
Phil should be on the phone talking to Rondo's camp today.

Kiyaman

Legend
We were a yr too soon

Durant would not have won the MVP, or made it to the 2nd round last season without teammate Derek Fisher team-leadership.
Westbrook looked lonely the last 11 games of the season fighting to win 5 games out of 11 games to make the playoff.

The two super-stars (Durant & Westbrook) be battling each other in a game on who is the best player on OKC.
The OKC Thunders were nice to watch when OKC had 3 young-players battling each other for highlight performances in a game, while staying on the same-page for Scott Brooks

Broadway

All Star
Owner Cuban shouldve kept PG-Calderon and PG-Jameer Nelson who like the idea of coach Carlisle calling offensive-plays from the bench 80% of the time.

Mavs coach Carlisle was not going to get any effort out of Rondo, when teammates Ellis, Parson, and Dirk are known for not playing DEFENSE, but the trio want the ball to score for 33 mpg.

Rondo's BIG-3 scorers in Boston played hard relentless defense to win a title.

The Houston Rockets defensive-players are scoring at will on the Mavs, plus the Rockets tandem Josh Smith & Howard scored at will embarrassing Mavs tandem Dirk & Tyson throughout the 2nd half of the game.

I agree with Shaq, Rondo had nothing to do with the Mavs 2 losses to the Rockets.
The Rockets DEFENSE vs the Mavs no-defense = Rockets 4-0 SWEEP over Mavs

Phil better hand Rondo a offer-sheet at 9am on July 1st.
The Knicks need a hard veteran PG like Rondo to controll ISO-Melo ballhoggin

Phil should be on the phone talking to Rondo's camp today.

Naaaah the Rondo gate is something we should stay away from and I appreciate Rondo as a player.

Kiyaman

Legend
Naaaah the Rondo gate is something we should stay away from and I appreciate Rondo as a player.

If we didnt have individual ISO-Melo hoggin the ball for the next 4 seasons, I also would be saying stay away from Rondo.
Rondo could average 4 to 6 dimes per game from Melo scoring, plus improve Melo fg%.
Rondo at the point, and one yr experience coach Fisher calling the shots is a step-up at improving the so-call triangle-offense we played this season.
Rondo didnt want to be apart of the Celtics getting swept in the first-round in 2012 .. The Mavs first game vs Houston Rockets showed the Mavs getting swept.
Rockets over Mavs in 4 games.

Brooklyn Nets came up a bit short in crunchtime the 2nd game vs Hawks 91-96.
Nets Jarret Jack is playing hard to win 1 game vs Hawks
Deron Williams b.ball level dropped to a mediocre-backup PG
Hawks over Nets in 4 games

The Mean Memphis Grizz are taking no Portland hostages ..
Zach still holding a grudge over Portland for trading him to the Knicks?
Grizz over Blazzers in 5 games

Clippers made a HUGE mistake letting Spurs win in overtime 2nd game .. Big Clippers mistake!
Spurs vs Clips .. will be won in 7 game by ???

Cleveland vs Celtrics .. BORING!!!
Cavs over Celitrics in 4 games

Bulls vs Bucks ... coach Kidd has to get a playoff win tonight or Saturday for his young players
Bull over Bucks in 5 games

Kiyaman

Legend
New Orleans PELICANS .. Peli What?
Great heart-TAKEN LOSS .. NO Pelicans up by 20 pt in 4th qtr. to lose in overtime.
GS Warriors over Pelicans in 4 games

tiger0330

Legend
If we didnt have individual ISO-Melo hoggin the ball for the next 4 seasons, I also would be saying stay away from Rondo.
Rondo could average 4 to 6 dimes per game from Melo scoring, plus improve Melo fg%.
Rondo at the point, and one yr experience coach Fisher calling the shots is a step-up at improving the so-call triangle-offense we played this season.
Rondo didnt want to be apart of the Celtics getting swept in the first-round in 2012 .. The Mavs first game vs Houston Rockets showed the Mavs getting swept.
Rockets over Mavs in 4 games.

Brooklyn Nets came up a bit short in crunchtime the 2nd game vs Hawks 91-96.
Nets Jarret Jack is playing hard to win 1 game vs Hawks
Deron Williams b.ball level dropped to a mediocre-backup PG
Hawks over Nets in 4 games

The Mean Memphis Grizz are taking no Portland hostages ..
Zach still holding a grudge over Portland for trading him to the Knicks?
Grizz over Blazzers in 5 games

Clippers made a HUGE mistake letting Spurs win in overtime 2nd game .. Big Clippers mistake!
Spurs vs Clips .. will be won in 7 game by ???

Cleveland vs Celtrics .. BORING!!!
Cavs over Celitrics in 4 games

Bulls vs Bucks ... coach Kidd has to get a playoff win tonight or Saturday for his young players
Bull over Bucks in 5 games
Toronto huge fail with home court and letting the Wiz run all over them in their building.

The first round is nothing like it was last year, where 5 of the 8 series went 7 games. Looks like the only series in question will be the Clips/Spurs.

Glad to see DRose back, didn't think he was coming back this year despite what the Bulls GM said when he got his knee surgery. I said it may be a three horse race in the East with DRose playing well and it would not surprise me if they get to the NBA finals.

Great win by the Warriors, I actually fell asleep before it ended but I said to myself looks like the Pelicans got the W at home when they had that big lead.

Mavs are in trouble not just in getting eliminated by Houston but they gave up a lot to get Rondo. I really don't think they can afford to just let him go particularly if they think he's still a good player. If I was Cuban I would think about parting company with Carlisle if that's what it takes to keep Rondo.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Pels gave that game away because they couldn't rebound and execute down at the other end. Lived up to being the young inexperienced team cracking under pressure not handling being an 8 seed vs 1 seed properly. Horrific ugly loss one of the worst I've ever seen in any sport Sans Sox vs Mets