Official Free Agency Thread

Broadway

All Star
To be fair Maf...THJR might be moveable in the vein of Demarre Carroll or Ryan Anderson or Crabbe where you take back a way overpriced contract for a washed up player Kevin Loveish or you have to give up assets(picks) to move it or a player who'll never put on a uniform to waive(which is about as best one can hope)

mafra

Legend
THJR is not scoring 23ppg with #kporzee being the focal point, maybe 16-17ppg. He might score that if bodies start dropping and we start tanking harder than ever but it wouldn't necessarily be indicative of how good he is vs circumstantial situation. He might be a classic case of, okay stats on a bad team

Of course in the most rose colored glasses optimistic way of looking at it sure but this isn't The Wizard of Oz or Alice In Wonderland here. THJR contract comes with a $8mil kicker if we try to entertain such a move. We would only want to move him because he's not working out...just more puke when thinking about it realistically.

Big difference with THJR and Crabbe, while Crabbe's deal is an unattractive contract get this...he was moved to the team who offered it to him originally. Nets gave him that offer sheet, PDX matched like dums dums. Now ask yourself who gave THJR his contract outside of us? Now if there was another Dolan and another Knicks in this league, no question we could move this albatross anchor sinking contract

I guess Crabbe is on his way to 23ppg too? I doubt it, the Nets are idiots here but their uphill climb is even more challenging than ours

THJr trending upwards, based on his production as soon as he was injected into the starting lineup. He averaged closer to 20 (whereas Crabbe averaged 10)....

Point is, Nets and POR established precedent and Crabbe's contract set the market for what was necessary if a team was looking to siphon away a RFA from another team. Both players are wing snipers.... although THJr showed a more overall game end of last season.

The Knicks certainty overpaid, but they view THJr as a starting SG and an emerging player about to blow up in his prime years.

They're probably wrong.... but Crabbe deal shows yiu the logic behind the numbers.

I just hope NY snag Harkless, Caleb and a pick from Melo now tha POR is making deals.

Broadway

All Star
Surprised he didn't wait to see where his buddy Melo would land first before signing there. He returned to Orlando, must have liked it there

Broadway

All Star
THJr trending upwards, based on his production as soon as he was injected into the starting lineup. He averaged closer to 20 (whereas Crabbe averaged 10)....

Point is, Nets and POR established precedent and Crabbe's contract set the market for what was necessary if a team was looking to siphon away a RFA from another team. Both players are wing snipers.... although THJr showed a more overall game end of last season.

The Knicks certainty overpaid, but they view THJr as a starting SG and an emerging player about to blow up in his prime years.

They're probably wrong.... but Crabbe deal shows yiu the logic behind the numbers.

I just hope NY snag Harkless, Caleb and a pick from Melo now tha POR is making deals.

Crabbe's and THJR's deals show me no logic at all. It shows me two teams making incredibly idiotic decisions to take on salary. We can always find a bad example to make light of another bad example. Always high standards in how I look at things, We didn't even need THJR. We could've started Lee like we did last yr, have Dotson back him up and build value in both players...keep in mind we still have Kuz here who on some nights will outplay all of them including THJR.

mafra

Legend
After signing a four-year, $71 million offer sheet to join the Knicks, guard Tim Hardaway Jr. was still surprised that New York offered him such a significant deal, according to ESPN's Pablo Torre.

"Tim Hardaway Jr.'s first words after signing that contract: 'Man, that's crazy,' " Torre said, according to NBC Sports' Dan Feldman.

The Knicks' offer was approximately $25 million more than what Hardaway was projected to earn, according to SB Nation's Phil Veasley. Knicks president Steve Mills said the team needed to be "aggressive" when pursuing Hardaway, a restricted free agent with the Atlanta Hawks, because he felt Hardaway had a lot of potential.

"We felt like there are not that many opportunities in free agency that you have the opportunity to go after a 25-year-old," Mills said. "We made the decision that if you want to pry a restricted free agent away from the incumbent team, you have to be aggressive. So we made a decision to be aggressive."

Hardaway, who played his first two seasons with the Knicks before they traded him to Atlanta in June 2015, averaged a career-high 14.5 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 79 games with Atlanta last season. Over his four seasons in the league, he has averaged 11 points and 2.1 rebounds.

While he said he is optimistic in his and the team's potential in the 2017-18 season, he told the New York Post's Steve Serby he felt he was worth the contract, which also includes a 15 percent trade kicker.

"I think so. I know so," Hardaway said. "I know how much work I've put into the offseason, I know how much work I put in during the season, and I don't think it's a mistake at all."

Atlanta offered Hardaway a $4.6 million qualifying offer at the end of the season, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Chris Vivlamore, which Hardaway declined.

Broadway

All Star
lol the shenanigans with us connected to this guy, this move is so bottom of the barrell

Oh and this is Kyrie's backup not Knits mentor...lol

Rose was only here for a brief Session

mafra

Legend
Makes you want to vomit! Just wasting money for spending sake. Why do we need a vet PG? Isn't that something IT and Hornachek can do? Provide guidance.

Why give Baker all that cash if he isn't starting? We want to lose as much as possible.... 1 win bc of RS is bad.... like Ndour hitting that's shot bAd

mafra

Legend
Sessions, 31, averaged 6.2 points and 2.6 assists in 50 games last season for the Hornets.

----

So, unless we're trading my Ntikilina it appears we're out of KI trade and Melo deal to HOU won't involve a PG.

Broadway

All Star
Makes you want to vomit! Just wasting money for spending sake. Why do we need a vet PG? Isn't that something IT and Hornachek can do? Provide guidance.

Why give Baker all that cash if he isn't starting? We want to lose as much as possible.... 1 win bc of RS is bad.... like Ndour hitting that's shot bAd

If he can't lock up Baker and a collossal retread like Sessions(who played us on one of his contracts) and start fairly quickly like by December then what would this tell us? Really just make him the starter Game 1 and let him fall flat on his face if it happens, otherwise he can only go up

mafra

Legend
If he can't lock up Baker and a collossal retread like Sessions(who played us on one of his contracts) and start fairly quickly like by December then what would this tell us? Really just make him the starter Game 1 and let him fall flat on his face if it happens, otherwise he can only go up

That's what i like about Cashman, for the Yanks.... when a middling role player type plays Ny and signs elsewhere.... his memory is long and next time.... Yanks won't even sniff the player.

Screw Sessions. He turned us down before, when we thought we were halfway decent and needed a PG.

The last thing I want to do as a fan now is watch this bum run around MSG wearing a NYK uni. I hope they boo him from day 1.

It's worse enough we suck and have for a long time. So, not only do we have to endure more losing.... but now we have to watch Sessions? And he's making 2.5 mil!!!! Argh!!!!

These are Walsh signings that costs us Curry and Westbrook.

and1

Rotation player
i'm not the biggest sessions fan - ramon sessions that is, i'm definitely NOT a jeff sessions fan haha - but i'm definitely not hating on him either. he is a veteran, and don't we want a vet PG to mentor nitty?
also, is it possible to now include him in a trade with melo, whether it's straight up with just 1 other team or maybe a 3 way kind of thing?

Broadway

All Star
i'm not the biggest sessions fan - ramon sessions that is, i'm definitely NOT a jeff sessions fan haha - but i'm definitely not hating on him either. he is a veteran, and don't we want a vet PG to mentor nitty?
also, is it possible to now include him in a trade with melo, whether it's straight up with just 1 other team or maybe a 3 way kind of thing?

Sessions is a BUM, he used us to get a deal back in 2012 in Charlotte. I think Warkentein was extremely high on him. May be why he's here now. We only had a partial MLE to offer and he accepted essentially a full MLE short deal with Charlotte.

Since that time he's played for Milwaukee/Sacramento/Washington/Charlotte because he's such a wonderful great backup/vet mentor

and1

Rotation player
Sessions is a BUM, he used us to get a deal back in 2012 in Charlotte. I think Warkentein was extremely high on him. May be why he's here now. We only had a partial MLE to offer and he accepted essentially a full MLE short deal with Charlotte.

Since that time he's played for Milwaukee/Sacramento/Washington/Charlotte because he's such a wonderful great backup/vet mentor

alright. well if he is that much of a bum then...
it's just a 1 year deal. a rental. for not much money at all. so if he is that bad then we're sure to get a top draft pick next year anyway. that's kind of what everybody's been going for anyway, right?
i really don't see how this is a terrible thing, if he does in fact turn out to be as awful as everyone is claiming he is.
i mean, would you have preferred signing deron williams? lmao

Can't trade Melo. Overpaid THJ and Baker. And signing Ramon Sessions to a vet minimum contract for 1 year is what gets people the most upset this offseason? Wow.

tiger0330

Legend
alright. well if he is that much of a bum then...
it's just a 1 year deal. a rental. for not much money at all. so if he is that bad then we're sure to get a top draft pick next year anyway. that's kind of what everybody's been going for anyway, right?
i really don't see how this is a terrible thing, if he does in fact turn out to be as awful as everyone is claiming he is.
i mean, would you have preferred signing deron williams? lmao

I mentioned DWill as a possibility, vet PG who can still light it up on occasionally, he had a 30ppg for the Cavs but was terrible in the playoffs for them. Haven't heard any rumors about teams showing interest in him which is strange for a former all star. Jennings going to China, DRose signing a vet min deal, DWill still unsigned, I thought the NBA was a guard oriented league

tiger0330

Legend
Can't trade Melo. Overpaid THJ and Baker. And signing Ramon Sessions to a vet minimum contract for 1 year is what gets people the most upset this offseason? Wow.

The problem is Sessions may be the best PG we have. If he is the best we got he should help with the tank so guys shouldn't complain but paying Ron Baker more than even him shows how dumb Mills is. Can't give credit to Perry for signing Sessions to the most reasonable contract you can give a player because that's all they could sign him for.

Last edited:

and1

Rotation player
I mentioned DWill as a possibility, vet PG who can still light it up on occasionally, he had a 30ppg for the Cavs but was terrible in the playoffs for them. Haven't heard any rumors about teams showing interest in him which is strange for a former all star. Jennings going to China, DRose signing a vet min deal, DWill still unsigned, I thought the NBA was a guard oriented league

not for nothing, but there really isn't anything strange about it. you want to talk about bums? dwill exemplifies that pretty accurately. the guy mailed it in as soon as he signed that big contract with the nets.
it's about as strange as the situation with sessions, how he was unsigned this long.
neither of these guys is the ideal solution for the vet PG role, but i tell you what, a 1 year contract for sessions should inspire him to put up the best performance he can. we'll see.
i wouldn't trust that with dwill.

mafra

Legend
Danilo Gallinari - F - Clippers
Danilo Gallinari went to the hospital for a medical evaluation after punching an opponent in the face during a friendly EuroBasket game.

It sounds like there's a chance Gallinari fractured his right hand, in which case, he'd obviously be done for the rest of the EuroBasket tournament. We should have official word from Team Italy soon enough, but even if he did mess up his hand, he still has plenty of time to get ready for the 2017-18 season. Click the link below if you'd like to see the punch for yourself.
Source: Eurohoops.net on Twitter Jul 30 - 4:22 PM

Rotoworld

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Danilo Gallinari - F - Clippers
Danilo Gallinari went to the hospital for a medical evaluation after punching an opponent in the face during a friendly EuroBasket game.

It sounds like there's a chance Gallinari fractured his right hand, in which case, he'd obviously be done for the rest of the EuroBasket tournament. We should have official word from Team Italy soon enough, but even if he did mess up his hand, he still has plenty of time to get ready for the 2017-18 season. Click the link below if you'd like to see the punch for yourself.
Source: Eurohoops.net on Twitter Jul 30 - 4:22 PM

Rotoworld
Your initiation to becoming a Clipper is punching somebody's face.