Randolph is not a Center!!

nyk_nyk

All Star
How difficult is it to understand that what makes AR a good defender is his ability to chase down and block shots? People think just because he gets blocks and he's tall he should play center...NO. AR is not the same when he is forced to play POST DEFENSE. He's very athletic and thus defending on the PERIMETER plays to his strength.

If he were to defend in the post it would require more positioning and physical strength rather than quickness. If AR played the 5 he'd be in foul trouble all the time.

Perimeter and post defense are two totally different things. AR only excels at one of them. He's either a 3 or 4, that's it.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Then why were there so many here that wanted Camby as our Center?

They're roughly the same size and have the same frame. Both are very good at weak side defense/help and not good post defenders against the bigger Centers in the league.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Then why were there so many here that wanted Camby as our Center?

They're roughly the same size and have the same frame. Both are very good at weak side defense/help and not good post defenders against the bigger Centers in the league.

I tend to fall in the middle of this debate and see pros and cons at playing him at the 5. That said, people are solely focusing on defense and ignoring how perfect he is on the offensive end within Dant's system.

We have gone like 10 years without a competent post defender but now all of a sudden when we have a young prospect who can play weak-side D he is not good enough? Makes no sense...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Here's the thing.

We're in the Eastern Conference. What teams in the Eastern Conference have centers that have the offensive ability to school Anthony Randolph?

AR might not be all that strong and a good post defender but he's plenty good enough to stop most of the centers in the Eastern Conference, I'd guess.

Paul1355

All Star
Here's the thing.

We're in the Eastern Conference. What teams in the Eastern Conference have centers that have the offensive ability to school Anthony Randolph?

AR might not be all that strong and a good post defender but he's plenty good enough to stop most of the centers in the Eastern Conference, I'd guess.
that's what im thinking, i mean if you have some big dude post him up and no one helps then yea he might be vulnerable, BUT give him a little help and your sure he will stuff the shot or cause a miss with his long arms and hops.

Maybe Randolph as a 3 is deadlier because no SF is 7 feet that I can think of. The closest ones are Gallo, Rashard Lewis and Lamar Odom at 6'10.

Since Phil Weber suggested Randolph at the 5 and it does sound cool, it might happen. To start Jeffries at Center for half the season is retarded and he was over matched so I think Mike D doesn't see Randolph as over matched as people here think.

Amare and Randolph KILLS Lee and Jeffries.....

Blas

Benchwarmer
Could someone actually post clips where AR has played ANY D in the post? I'm pretty sure you cannot find one or make a clip from his games.

And who is going to teach him how to play post D?

It isn't a skill that is easy to learn, especially when a lot of it is a guessing game. I mean AR has to have descent Bball IQ (which he lacks at the moment) to find the tale tell signs of which move a post player is going to pull on you.

And actually I have to disagree with members here who say Camby is a bad post defender. I think he is a good one; especially, when you compare him to all of the other centers in this league.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I tend to fall in the middle of this debate and see pros and cons at playing him at the 5. That said, people are solely focusing on defense and ignoring how perfect he is on the offensive end within Dant's system.

We have gone like 10 years without a competent post defender but now all of a sudden when we have a young prospect who can play weak-side D he is not good enough? Makes no sense...

In our case, post defense is especially important. Having STAT and Randolph play against other team's bigs is not an appealing idea to me. Most people are aware of their offensive talents, but that isn't good enough. It's funny how you mention that we haven't had a post defender in the past 10 years. And we were horrible for those 10 years.

And these comparisons with Camby are not really feasible. They have completely different skill sets. Looking at Randolph's physical strength, defensive skills and even offensive skills, the last thing I think is "man, he would beast down low" or "he will dominate other centers." The only reason he is considered to play the 5 is because, well, we don't have a center. Turiaf is the closest thing, so I rather start Turiaf, especially against the better teams. Howard, Bogut, Perkins, Lopez are centers and will dominate him. I don't want someone to play center if we will have to constantly double team in the post. Now that makes no sense.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
^^

For the most part I agree with you but lets not pretend like not having a post defender was the reason we sucked for 10 years. We did not have a competent floor general or true star to carry us.We could have had Mutumbo in his prime and still stunk up the last decade with the rest of our rosters.