home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksPhiladelphia 76ers
Mitchell Robinson - Ankle (QUEST)Joel Embiid - Knee recovery (QUEST)
Julius Randle - Right shoulder surgery (OUT)Robert Covington - Knee (OUT)
Bojan Bogdanovic - Left foot and wrist surgery (OUT)-
Duane Washington Jr. - Knee (OUT)-
Charlie Brown - Concussion (OUT)-

Game Preview

Knicks eager to clean things up, put 76ers away for good

The decision not to intentionally foul late in Tuesday's dramatic loss hangs over the head of the New York Knicks and coach Tom Thibodeau as they prepare to take on the host Philadelphia 76ers on Thursday night in Game 6 of an Eastern Conference first-round playoff series.

The 76ers have fought an uphill battle throughout the best-of-seven set, losing twice in New York to open the series before later dropping Game 4 at home.

But seventh-seeded Philadelphia has managed to bounce back from its setbacks, first taking Game 3 125-114, then, in improbable fashion, living to see another day with a 112-106 overtime victory in Game 5.

On Tuesday, the second-seeded Knicks were 15.3 seconds away from advancing to the Eastern Conference semifinals when Josh Hart stepped up to the foul line with New York up 96-94.

However, Hart made just one of his two free throws, failing to make it a two-possession game, and the Knicks, instead of fouling to prevent a potential game-tying shot, then watched Tyrese Maxey bury a 35-footer that led to the extra session and the 76ers' season-saving win.

Afterward, Thibodeau seemed to blame his players for not fouling rather than a personal philosophy.

"What you have to do is: They're out of timeouts, so they are going quick. But you also have to read what's happening," Thibodeau said. "Is (Hart) making both? That puts you up four. Is he making one? That puts you in a different situation. If he misses both, that puts you in a different situation.

"So you're communicating that to your players, but ... you've got to make sure that that's being communicated to people (waiting to rebound) on the (free-throw) line, too. That's where our communication has to be better. ... Everyone's got to be aware and alert to what's going on."

Reaction from Knicks involved ranged from player blunder to uncontrollable situation.

"(The miscommunication was) an error on the guys on the court. We've got to make sure we know what the situation is," Hart said.

Noted Miles McBride, who was screened near the center circle as he attempted to defend Maxey, "When he's coming at you full speed, he hit a close-to-half-court shot, it's not much you can do. You don't want to take a chance where he might go into a shooting motion. Probably should've been up on him a little bit more. But you just learn from it."

The Knicks learned from their previous loss in the series, securing a key Game 4 win at Philadelphia on Sunday, when Jalen Brunson (47 points) nearly single-handedly outscored 76ers stars Joel Embiid (27) and Maxey (23).

Maxey said he's learned from failure in the series as well. He shot 2-for-8 overall and 0-for-2 from 3-point range in the fourth quarter of the Game 4 setback, a game the 76ers felt they let slip away by scoring just 16 points in the final 12 minutes.

"I wasn't in rhythm, I didn't play well, I wasn't aggressive," Maxey said. "I refused to let that happen (in Game 5) and I came out aggressive as soon as the fourth quarter started."

Game 7, if necessary, is scheduled for Saturday in New York.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Wasup Rady .. Thanks for the Game 6 Thread .. Our coaching-staff issss subject ..
When do coaches tell their players to foul ??? It's the final seconds of the game .. it's the postseason, where coaches & players step up their performance. JVG would've got 2 Techs if a opponent grabbed Patrick Ewing leg while jumping.

Why did I believe we could 4-0 sweep the injury-prone EmBiid's 76ers, or 4-1 them?
Will HC Thibs finally play Precious at his original NBA position for the WIN?
Hartenstein and OG could really use Precious talent to dominate their lineup, plus center Mitch is a better winner having Precios Big-Forward talent in his lineup.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
No Achiuwa so far but the Knicks are on a 28-9 start.
Brunson 10 pts, DiVincenzo 9 pts

Sixers owners buying 2000 tickets for the home fans and giving free chicken for back to back free throw misses.

Kiyaman

Legend
Indiana Pacers beat Bucks 4-2 in Series .....

End of First Quarter .. Knicks 36 - 76ers 22
We played a 6 man rotation in the 1st Qtr.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
We're up 36-22 at the end of the 1st. An 11-0 Sixers run cut by Hart with a three pointer.
Knicks with 7 offensive rebounds!

rady

Administrator
Staff member
a 22 point lead stripped to 5
Knicks shooting 1-10 from the field this quarter

Kiyaman

Legend
Our 14 point lead dwindle down to a 5 pt lead 41-36 .. 6 min remain in 2nd qtr.
Why do we have a little-people lineup with Mitch on the court?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Knicks getting hammered 32-15 in the second quarter
Anunoby missing a wide open dunk.
Sixers bench on fire with 30 pts. Ours has yet to produce
Knicks down 54-51 at halftime

mafra

Legend
Knicks go up 33-11 to start the game. Embiid heads to locker room. In a nanosecond lead is cut in half, Embiid returns, and PHI ends half on a 43-18 run.

As soon as Buddy entered game, and Knicks allowed him to drain 2 quick 3s… I knew game was over and it’s off to Sat night. Series is heading to Game 7. Buddy 5-7 from downtown in 1st half and outscored Brunson.

Embiid/Maxey/Buddy is too much offense for Knicks to guard or overcome. NY has 0 points from the bench. So glad I turned it off with 3 left in 1Q.

As a long-suffering NyK fan, we know how this ends. With PHI celebrating at MsG Sat night.

Knicks had a shot to knock PHI out… but they choked away Game 3. They took a good shot at PHI tonight, going up 22 quickly… but they pissed that away quickly and played as if they were behind instead of up big.

It’s tough to knock out a team facing elimination. Knicks got as close as they possibly could, but too many injuries and too many mistakes. Missed FT from Hart and brain burp not fouling up 3 will sting until OCT.

Good year but yet another brutal, disappointing and let’s face it… historical playoff collapse. Only R1 and they probably would lose to Indy anyway… so who cares!

Good night. Let’s enjoy watching a game 7. But be prepared for the ending… like watching the Titanic movie… you know what’s going to happen.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
As a long-suffering NyK fan, we know how this ends. With PHI celebrating at MsG Sat night.

That’s what scares me most. Meanwhile the Knicks cut an 11 point lead to 4
80-76

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
Half Time .. Knicks 51 - 76ers 54
No Precious !!!
Did we play TIRED the final 5 minutes before half time? Yes!
Our passes were tired, our effort was tired, our shots were tired, and our Dunks were tired.
We played a 7 man rotation in the 2nd quarter.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Tied at 83 at the end of the third, Anunoby tied it with a huge corner 3.
We’re basically playing a 6 player rotation with Robinson subbing for Hartenstein . McBride played a few minutes in the 2Q and missed three shots. 0 bench points

Kiyaman

Legend
End of 3rf Quarter .. Knicks 83 - 76ers 83
Knicks still playing a 7 man rotation, and McBride 6 min is the 7th man

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks 4th quarter charge got the lead 92-88
I'm glad Brunson threw the ball straight to Mitch, instead of the teams bounce passes to Mitch

Kiyaman

Legend
Philly using their 9 man rotation vs our 7 man .. McBride with the 3 ball, and Embiid 2 on the other end Tied score at 95 .... 6 min remain in Game 6

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Back to back threes Brunson
Knicks up 101-95

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Brunson stepping on the gas pedal, Knicks up 107-99
3:26 left