The Knicks try to do damage control with Gallo

Is it just me, or is Gallinari only good when his few good moments are "mixed?"

• Total voters

Kiyaman

Legend
I think people are making excuses for Gallinari. Gallinari is a sophomore.
He's 21 years old, going on 22 in August.
  • <LI class=firstli>Danilo Gallinari
  • Forward
Born: Aug 8, 1988
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/danilo_gallinari/index.html

Brook Lopez and Eric Gordon are about the same age as Danilo Gallinari, and they're producing better numbers than he is.
Brook Lopez: 19.1 ppg, 8.9 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.9 blocks
Eric Gordon: 17.4 ppg on 46% fg, 2.8 assists, 1.1 steals
Danilo Gallinari: 13.8 ppg on 41.7% fg, 1.6 assists, .9 steals

People use the double standard of how he played against top competition in Europe, but when it doesn't convert to quality production at the NBA level, they make excuses for him.

I'm going to give Gallinari one more chance.
If he can't turn it around, in the 2010-2011 season, then I will consider him a complete bust. As of right now, I consider him an overrated role player with
3 point range, but if he improves, I'll give him credit. And if he continues to suck next year, I'll call him a bust.

41.7% fg for a 6'10 player is horrible. Bottom line.
Those are Quentin Richardson-like field goal percentages. Gallinari needs to block shots and post up, before I give him any credit. He doesn't have to rebound, because I understand he plays small forward, but defense and post up moves are the least he should be able to provide, at #6 in the 2008 draft.
Especially considering how fast Brook Lopez and Eric Gordon have developed their games.

This is all true, no matter how much the truth hurt all the "Gallo-Fans".
It's real B-Ball talk.
Everything that 7.0 Brook Lopez gave to the Nets in his rookie season, is what this Knick team needed from 6.10 Gallo this season.

All this talk about Gallo hitting the wall is bull....Gallo is not a 30 minute player.
After 20 minutes of playingtime Gallo was worthless, this was proven and showed in every one of the (Knicks worst start in franchise history) 1-9 start this season (Gallo never showed up in the 4th qtr.).
It's nice to have a 3-point clutch shooter....but the team needs this type of player at the end of games (not the beginning). Which Gallo has been the Knicks weak-link in all their crunchtime games.

Making Gallo a "STARTER" over Harrington was a RED-FLAG!
Making Jefferies & Douglas a "STARTER" over Hughes was a RED-FLAG!
Letting Duhon keep starting after the 1-9 start was a RED-FLAG!

At the start of the Knicks 2009-10 season, 6.10 Gallo knew nothing about the NBA competition he was facing, his only focus was on posting-up for the 3-ball, he was clueless on scoring the 2-ball or scoring in the paint, he did'nt know how to screen defenders off his teammates, while oponents steady screen Gallo to score on him, his defense was non existent, his rebounding was poor, he never showed any hustle or put-backs, and Gallo had to be the worst dribbler on the Knicks, even Eddy Curry can dribble the ball better than him.
However, Gallo was the Knicks 32 mpg Starter.

I'm just a fan comenting, imagine one of Gallo's teammates commenting on these same things...

clumsy

Rotation player
Gallo needs to stop hanging out with Wilson Chandler/Lamar Odom.

I'm kinda thinking he'll never be a #1 option...doesn't have the alpha male mentality. Nice roleplayer is how i see his career will pan out.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
This is all true, no matter how much the truth hurt all the "Gallo-Fans".
It's real B-Ball talk.
Everything that 7.0 Brook Lopez gave to the Nets in his rookie season, is what this Knick team needed from 6.10 Gallo this season.

All this talk about Gallo hitting the wall is bull....Gallo is not a 30 minute player.
After 20 minutes of playingtime Gallo was worthless, this was proven and showed in every one of the (Knicks worst start in franchise history) 1-9 start this season (Gallo never showed up in the 4th qtr.).
It's nice to have a 3-point clutch shooter....but the team needs this type of player at the end of games (not the beginning). Which Gallo has been the Knicks weak-link in all their crunchtime games.

Making Gallo a "STARTER" over Harrington was a RED-FLAG!
Making Jefferies & Douglas a "STARTER" over Hughes was a RED-FLAG!
Letting Duhon keep starting after the 1-9 start was a RED-FLAG!

At the start of the Knicks 2009-10 season, 6.10 Gallo knew nothing about the NBA competition he was facing, his only focus was on posting-up for the 3-ball, he was clueless on scoring the 2-ball or scoring in the paint, he did'nt know how to screen defenders off his teammates, while oponents steady screen Gallo to score on him, his defense was non existent, his rebounding was poor, he never showed any hustle or put-backs, and Gallo had to be the worst dribbler on the Knicks, even Eddy Curry can dribble the ball better than him.
However, Gallo was the Knicks 32 mpg Starter.

I'm just a fan comenting, imagine one of Gallo's teammates commenting on these same things...

Your post is a ...RED-FLAG!

Lol I didnt read it, but I couldn't help myself.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Or start really ragging on him next year. Hopefully when defenders aren't blowing past him.

You know, I was actually just about to say - while Gallo's shooting has been in a slump and he seems to be wearing down offensively, he's been playing better defense as of late. Who knows, maybe he'll turn out to be a quality player after all.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
The Hype Machine is on full throttle

More damage control on the Gallo-D'Antoni nepotism pick.

I am starting to see where you all get your Gallo-is-a-rookie argument. It is being burned into your brains by the Knicks media machine. I also see why you believe him to be imbued with this off-the-charts basketball IQ. Again, the Knicks media machine is that good.

Good luck guarding the best player on G-State, Gallo. Whatever happens, the Knicks media machine will find a way to spin it in your favor.

Gentleman, ladies, enjoy this great piece of comedy, by the hilarious Mike Slain...

http://www.nba.com/knicks/features/gallinari100401.html

Impressive Gallinari Just Keeps Getting Better and Better

by Mike Slane, nyknicks.com

Danilo Gallinari is developing his overall game right before our eyes. He recovered nicely from a disappointing offensive stretch in February, he has asked to guard the opposing team?s best player for the remainder of the season and he even took responsibility for a recent loss.

That?s just the type of stuff Mike D?Antoni wants to see from the second-year forward, who the coach often refers to as one of the cornerstones of the franchise alongside Wilson Chandler.

?This is the first year that he has really played all these games and you can see him rebounding from the little dip he had a couple months ago,? D?Antoni told MSG before the Knicks? loss in Portland on Wednesday. ?And I?m excited about what he can become.?

That ?little dip? would be the wall most rookies hit around the All-Star break. Gallinari was limited to just 28 games during his rookie season due to a nagging back injury, but has played in 73 of the Knicks? 74 game this season, averaging 14.3 points on 38.1 percent shooting from three-point range entering Friday night?s road matchup against the Golden State Warriors.

Despite his impressive offensive numbers, Gallinari took the blame for the Knicks? defeat in Utah on Monday after shooting 3-for-10 from the field, although he probably didn?t need to. He showed signs of maturity by focusing on defense while his shot wasn?t falling, helping turn the game around by slowing down Deron Williams following an unbelievable first quarter from the Jazz?s All-Star point guard.

?He wants to win and you could see that,? D?Antoni said. ?I?m just really pleased with the way he?s played defense and everything. Like I told him, I played with his dad and he didn?t make a shot in eight years, so I?m kind of used to Gallinari not making shots. So I?m OK with it.

?But it?s good he cares. He?ll make shots. I?m not worried about that part of his game. He?ll get that. But what?s really good is he takes the challenge of guarding the best guy. He changes the game around.?

Much has been made of Gallinari?s request to defend the opposing team?s best player over the final stretch of the season. As a result, he has gained valuable experience by matching up against the likes of Denver forward Carmelo Anthony, Phoenix point guard Steve Nash, Utah?s Williams and most recently Portland?s Brandon Roy.

?He?s 21 years old and he?s taking a big responsibility,? D?Antoni said. ?Probably the most important thing is, can he play defense? Can he do that? And that?s what he?s showing he can do. The rest of the stuff he?s going to do it. I have no doubt his offensive game is going to be really good as we go forward.?

Gallinari will have to continue to play a big role for the Knicks in their final eight games as the team deals with injuries to two key players. Reserve forward Al Harrington missed the second half of the Knicks? previous game and Chandler will miss the remainder of the season with a left groin injury, the team announced.

?We?ll see how Al is. He turned his ankle and I don?t know how quickly (he will return),? D?Antoni said immediately after the 118-90 defeat against the Blazers. ?Our bigs are a little bit depleted right now but we?ll just have to fight.?

D?Antoni won?t have to worry about lack of fight from Gallinari. That?s for sure.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The Knicks media machine? Come on man! They get horrible press. Further you did not disprove anything they asserted but merley attacked the messenger.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
The Knicks media machine? Come on man! They get horrible press. Further you did not disprove anything they asserted but merley attacked the messenger.

In general, I might say you are right about the Knicks media machine: it is usually ineffective, especially with non-Knicks fans.

As far as Gallo is concerned, however, people rant and rave over how great the guy is, all over MSG and the local media. People on here often parrot their BS comments, e.g., "Gallo is practically a rookie," "Gallinari is where Nowitzki was as a rookie," "draft for the best available player, not a need."

I'm assuming you watch Knick games. If you do, you know that they have been running an unprecedented set of commercials, one infamous example interpolates scenes of Nowitzki's offensive moves with plays made by Gallinari.

And if you look at the pic on the page linked to my previous post, you will see a picture of Gallinari with the phrase "2010-2011 starts here" in captions, at the bottom. If that isn't propaganda and hype, I don't know what is.

Moreover, when Gallinari is playing at such a crappy level, it bears the the assertion being posed here: that the Knicks are continuing to use the MSG media-wing to present Gallo, in the face of evidence to the contrary, as our future. Either that or Mike Slain is acting on his own, to create web ads, articles and commercials, ridiculously biased in Gallo's favor.

300x250_2010-11_renewals.jpg

KBlack25

Starter
In general, I might say you are right about the Knicks media machine: it is usually ineffective, especially with non-Knicks fans.

As far as Gallo is concerned, however, people rant and rave over how great the guy is, all over MSG and the local media. People on here often parrot their BS comments, e.g., "Gallo is practically a rookie," "Gallinari is where Nowitzki was as a rookie," "draft for the best available player, not a need."

I'm assuming you watch Knick games. If you do, you know that they have been running an unprecedented set of commercials, one infamous example interpolates scenes of Nowitzki's offensive moves with plays made by Gallinari.

And if you look at the pic on the page linked to my previous post, you will see a picture of Gallinari with the phrase "2010-2011 starts here" in captions, at the bottom. If that isn't propaganda and hype, I don't know what is.

Moreover, when Gallinari is playing at such a crappy level, it bears the the assertion being posed here: that the Knicks are continuing to use the MSG media-wing to present Gallo, in the face of evidence to the contrary, as our future. Either that or Mike Slain is acting on his own, to create web ads, articles and commercials, ridiculously biased in Gallo's favor.

300x250_2010-11_renewals.jpg

But how much of this is done by necessity? Who else should the Knicks media put up there?

David Lee? There's a solid chance he won't be here...
Al Harrington? Ditto.
Tracy McGrady? (see: Lee, David)
Chris Duhon?
Sergio Rodriguez?
Eddy Curry?

Maybe guys like Bill Walker and Toney Douglas would do, but from a marketing standpoint...the casual fan does not know Bill Walker/Toney Douglas and does not know what they look like.

In my opinion it's equal parts trying to make this guy not seem like a bust (or "damage control" as you state) and marketing the one guy on the team that will definitely be there next year that casual fans can recognize.

The fact is MSG has to promote the Knicks one way or another, and right now outside of marketing guys that may wind up leaving in a couple of months, there is no real option outside of Gallinari. They have a product that they need to sell...and right now Gallinari is the best way to go about it.

If the Knicks sign a top-tier free agent, or resign Lee, you will see the number of Gallinari commercials drop and the number of Lee/Free Agent X commercials increase...but right now the marketing team's only viable option, as I see it, is to promote the hell out of Gallinari if only for the fact that he is recognizable to the casual Knicks fan and he will be in a Knicks uniform next year.

Rookie
the finished saying that Gallinari is not worthy of this team?
Instead of criticizing him blame the other players who have not do anything different

jimkcchief88

All Star
Get ready to have this SAME conversation guys....some dumb ass franchaises NEVER learn and that's why we are league cellar dwellers

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Get ready to have this SAME conversation guys....some dumb ass franchaises NEVER learn and that's why we are league cellar dwellers

this is just how a lot of knicks fans react.. very little patience for young talent, but pure worship for false stars and aging overpaid players...

I was always a big gallo fan and hated the trade from day one.. who knows how good porzingis is going to be, the difference now is that the knicks have been bad so long, we don't have a pick next year, so we need to get this one right. Even if porzingis is just a good player, we still need to develop him and let him be good in a knicks uniform...

Broadway

All Star
this is just how a lot of knicks fans react.. very little patience for young talent, but pure worship for false stars and aging overpaid players...

I was always a big gallo fan and hated the trade from day one.. who knows how good porzingis is going to be, the difference now is that the knicks have been bad so long, we don't have a pick next year, so we need to get this one right. Even if porzingis is just a good player, we still need to develop him and let him be good in a knicks uniform...

Good point TKF will Porzingis make it past his rookie scale contract or will he be included in a trade to land 34yr old point guard CP3 with extra sides of Blake Griffin after his second major knee surgery, because we get desperate for Postseason noise?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Good point TKF will Porzingis make it past his rookie scale contract or will he be included in a trade to land 34yr old point guard CP3 with extra sides of Blake Griffin after his second major knee surgery, because we get desperate for Postseason noise?

Oh God...that'd be a real Knick move.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Keep being a Gallo fan all I have to say to that is WOW. Typical KNIcKs fans also hate on "overpaid, aging" players that have actually done something in the NBA. Go figure. My prediction is that the Melo haters will finally get thier wish when Melo gets fed up, waives his no trade clause, and asks PJAx to be dealt to a contender. Then we will be back to the Van Horn days with the Zinger leading the way. Oh joy:(

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Keep being a Gallo fan all I have to say to that is WOW. Typical KNIcKs fans also hate on "overpaid, aging" players that have actually done something in the NBA. Go figure. My prediction is that the Melo haters will finally get thier wish when Melo gets fed up, waives his no trade clause, and asks PJAx to be dealt to a contender. Then we will be back to the Van Horn days with the Zinger leading the way. Oh joy:(

As opposed to Melo's...great leadership and ability to make a team better that he's consistently shown thus far?

Melo is a complimentary piece to a championship roster, not a centerpiece. He's a good #2 option to have alongside an actual superstar. But expecting Carmelo Anthony to lead your team to the promised land is like expecting to bang a hooker in Vegas and NOT catch an STD

Tkf

Benchwarmer

no need for wow, gallo is a good player, plays the game the way it should be played. both sides of the ball and unselfish..

if you think we will be back to the van horn days without carmelo then that means you have no faith in phil.. well then why have faith that he can get anything done with carmelo here..

see a lot of fans expose their feelings.. they are more of a fan of the player than the team it seems? Is it ok with you that that knicks may win and do well without carmelo here.. or does it only work for you if he is here being the man jacking up 28 shots a game at his usual 43%?

Tkf

Benchwarmer
As opposed to Melo's...great leadership and ability to make a team better that he's consistently shown thus far?

Melo is a complimentary piece to a championship roster, not a centerpiece. He's a good #2 option to have alongside an actual superstar. But expecting Carmelo Anthony to lead your team to the promised land is like expecting to bang a hooker in Vegas and NOT catch an STD

yea, the problem is some fans don't want it that way.. they want the knicks to win with carmelo leading the way shooting 30 times a game... we have a lot of historical data on carmelo and if you look at things objectively you pretty much come to the same conclusion that you just did, and i will go one step further, maybe not even a 2nd option for carmelo.. but just a gunner.. he is a one dimensional player.. let him play the role of a jamal crawford, or a JR smith.. ride him when hot, sit him when not...

jimkcchief88

All Star
no need for wow, gallo is a good player, plays the game the way it should be played. both sides of the ball and unselfish..

if you think we will be back to the van horn days without carmelo then that means you have no faith in phil.. well then why have faith that he can get anything done with carmelo here..

see a lot of fans expose their feelings.. they are more of a fan of the player than the team it seems? Is it ok with you that that knicks may win and do well without carmelo here.. or does it only work for you if he is here being the man jacking up 28 shots a game at his usual 43%?

Uhhhh newbie....the fact I remember the Van Horn days should tell you something. The fact I joined this board almost a decade ago should tell you the same thing: I'm a Knicks fan that is one of the few that appreciates Melo's game. He is a pure scorer and is beautiful to watch with the ball in his hands. The untrained eye can't appreciate what Melo does. Kobe jacks up just as many shots, but he's the kind of help Melo has NEVER had to win Championships

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Uhhhh newbie....the fact I remember the Van Horn days should tell you something. The fact I joined this board almost a decade ago should tell you the same thing: I'm a Knicks fan that is one of the few that appreciates Melo's game. He is a pure scorer and is beautiful to watch with the ball in his hands. The untrained eye can't appreciate what Melo does. Kobe jacks up just as many shots, but he's the kind of help Melo has NEVER had to win Championships

newbie? I was moderating sites much bigger than this before you knew there were knick forums.. the van horn days? to me that is recent history, I still have ticket stubs when michael ray richardson was a knick.. Please don't come with this newbie mess.. the fact that you remember the van horn days tells me you know very little about knicks history if that is the best you can do..

The fact that you wax on poetically about carmelo just tells me you are a carmelo fan more than you are a knick fan.. LOL.. a pure scorer, please tell me what does that mean? what is a "pure scorer" as opposed to an "unpure scorer"? and beautiful to watch is a matter of opinion, especially if you appreciate a guy who takes 23 shots per game and only shoots 43%

Kobe won rings because he is twice the player carmelo is... talk about untrained eye.. how about the untrained basketball mind? it seems as if you are more interested in And 1 ball play as opposed to winning basketball....

maybe kobe IS the kind of help teams need to win championships..

again, we have another carmelo apologist... wow