The science behind Donnie Walsh ( please read, put alot of time into this one )

DOnnie walsh, the godfather, the pinnacle of professionalism and patience.
took what some would say was an impossible job and turned it into a probable winner for the next half decade perhaps further. Itemize his moves, and itemize fellow eastern conference champions, and you have the making of a true eastern conference power house for the next 3-7 years.

I provide you with this empirical evidence

1) The boston celtics will have a salary of 72 million next season, dropping to a low 27 million in 2013, will probably resign ray allen and garnett pending on their success this year and next, rondo is locked up until 2015 and pierce 2014; essentially leaving their two highest paid players over the next 4 years being an aging pierce and a top ten pg, with the only available superstars to replace garnett and allen being locked up by teams around the league; therefore the celtics will be mediocre if not a low level lottery team by the 2014 season.

2) The orlando Magic will have a salary of approximately 75 million dollars during the 12-13 season, with their highest paid player being a ghost of his former self arenas at 22 million dollars in 2014, a 12 million dollar contract of turkoglu which has a player option in 2014 and no contract set with dwight howard past 2011-12.

3) Chicago bulls, does any one else realize that carlos boozer is already , or has been already falling apart as he ages at the PF position, probably the most under rated lynch pin position in the league to getting to the finals regularly i.e.Dirk, Aldridge,Josh smith, garnett, bosh, amare, horford, hansborough ( who I include because he has proven to be an effective big game player with the pacers based on how he finished the season and how he played in the playoffs) point being he is owed up to 17 million dollars going into the 2014-15 season, plus deng is owned up to 14 million dollars up to the 2013-14 season, plus noah is owed up to 14,200 up until the 2015-16 season, and with the new CBA can some one please tell me unless you trade one or two of these contracts how you plan on signing Derrick Rose ? i think I have said enough here, being that no one wants an aging boozer, or a bloated contract in deng, and the bulls have already refused to trade noah;;;;; they kinda look stupid now not trading noah for melo eh ? cuz then you use that deng money and noah money to resign both melo and rose moving forward.

4) The miami heat.... the BIG 3 or thread headed idiots will keep the heats salary at a number of 51 mil, 57 mil, 60 mil, 65 mil over the next 4 seasons. with a new CBA they will find themselves attaching a new ensemble of scrubs every single year, with no assests to trade for high picks to build with, with a winning record to keep them in the late first to mid second round of every draft going forward. I could honestly see bosh being traded for some picks and a serviceable center or poing guard being that regardless of lebrons passing ability and wades ability to penetrade, after those two they are one of the worst 2 minute end of game drill teams in the league due to a lack of shot blocking in the middle and a lack of orchestration from the back court. This will eventually lead to consistent 56-62 win seasons, and consistent game 6-7 losses to teams who have deeper benches, and better pg play.

5) Mil, NJ, Philly, Det, Tor, Wash, Indiana, Atl, Charlotte and CLV... as far as atlanta Joe johnson max contract, Josh smith max contract, whatever they give horford and enough said; resigning joe johnson has kept their integrity in tact due to having their leader there until he fades into the darkness, which you saw a glimpse of this year with his injury prone regular season. NJ Deron Williams better get a move on his hype machine in bringing another star to the barclays because I swear the russian as my witness brooke lopez has amazingly declined and moved into eddy curry 2007-8 status with his 19 ppg 6 rebounds per gm status. Philly will have the cap space available, but it will involve dismantling the entire team being that by 2013-14 they literally have no players under contract. So this up and coming team will either have to resign their role players, or bottom out and rebuild again after not even rebuilding this time around. Toronto, washington, detroit, mil, charlotte , indiana, and clev are going to take the enxt 5 years trying to figure out a way to even matter; although indiana will provide alot of teams a run for their money; but similarly to the hawks their are no stars out there anymore to pick up in the off season; and I would beg to guess dwight howard and chris paul arent looking to shack up in french lick any time soon.

6) now the NEW YORK KNICKS.

lets put it like this and start off simple.

by 2013-14 the knicks have only two players locked up, AMARE and MELO.

let me repeat

only two players Locked up

our best players.

we do not have one bad contract on our team right now, which in terms of flexibility gives us space to do what no other elite team playing in the east right now can do, go after more significant role players and need players to fill out around our superstars. So basically the HEAT who many would agree are our biggest rivals going forward, would have to trade one of their big 3 before they can even enter the flexiblity we have moving forward. Its as if we have 2 of a big 3 and can use that 3 to either get a chris paul or deron williams, or add multiple pieces plus our draft pick this year who donnie walsh magically gave us despite moving half our roster around.

In conclusion, the evidence is there, Walsh is smarter than the rest, and has patiently pieces together what seems to be the future of the eastern conference. We are filled with youth, in douglas, fields, walker, williams, Melo, we have a legitimate top 5 maybe even top 3 PF in the league, and the best all around scorer in the league. SO we are younger, more financially sound, more fresh, and superior in management in comparison to every other team in the eastern conference.

and we can thank

the science of
Donnie Walsh.

Wargames

Starter
I like everything you said but the celtics will probably move some of their pieces this year if they don't win it all. Miami is very likely going to move bosh if they don't win it all and the bulls will have to do get rid of some contracts before time to resign rose.

The Knicks are in a good position but they're not an automatic lock for best overall value Yet. If anything I believe they are a cusp team like okc and ironically enough the pacers (damn hibbert). Depending on these next moves they could either become a contender or a mid round and out team.

The good news is your right the knicks have moved to put themselvesin the position to become a contender. Now the question is do they go for depth like the lakers/celtics/mavs/bulls or do they go for a three star system like the heat? It all depends on the cba. I doubt the league creates a low hard cap because that would screw all the big market teams but if they do the Knicks are in trouble. In all other scenarios we are golden though so I think they have a chance to win it all soon.

I like everything you said but the celtics will probably move some of their pieces this year if they don't win it all. Miami is very likely going to move bosh if they don't win it all and the bulls will have to do get rid of some contracts before time to resign rose.

The Knicks are in a good position but they're not an automatic lock for best overall value Yet. If anything I believe they are a cusp team like okc and ironically enough the pacers (damn hibbert). Depending on these next moves they could either become a contender or a mid round and out team.

The good news is your right the knicks have moved to put themselvesin the position to become a contender. Now the question is do they go for depth like the lakers/celtics/mavs/bulls or do they go for a three star system like the heat? It all depends on the cba. I doubt the league creates a low hard cap because that would screw all the big market teams but if they do the Knicks are in trouble. In all other scenarios we are golden though so I think they have a chance to win it all soon.

that was definitely my main point, we are literally promised success for some time now, even if amare fades away, all that does is gives us another 15-20 million dollars to play with, there are no steve francis, steph marbury, eddy curry, jerome james, jared jefferies, vin baker, allan houston retirement funds to sweat out of our roster.

its legitimately constant building upon building

same reason why in indiana the davis brothers and smits and miller faded away and were easily replaced with steph jax, artest, tinsley, jermaine O and won divisions for a few years before the brawl pretty much demolished that team.

the bottom line, is we can be the next spurs, jazz, lakers, blazers, just year after year after year over the span of a good decade and further financially be managed well enough to put a team on the floor every year that can compete with the best of them.

thats donnie walsh baby

that was definitely my main point, we are literally promised success for some time now, even if amare fades away, all that does is gives us another 15-20 million dollars to play with, there are no steve francis, steph marbury, eddy curry, jerome james, jared jefferies, vin baker, allan houston retirement funds to sweat out of our roster.

its legitimately constant building upon building

same reason why in indiana the davis brothers and smits and miller faded away and were easily replaced with steph jax, artest, tinsley, jermaine O and won divisions for a few years before the brawl pretty much demolished that team.

the bottom line, is we can be the next spurs, jazz, lakers, blazers, just year after year after year over the span of a good decade and further financially be managed well enough to put a team on the floor every year that can compete with the best of them.

thats donnie walsh baby

ok ?

significant post ?

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
good post it will be interesting to see what he does this off season... or if he waits till next year... either way he has leverage over the other teams... looks like with a little luck the best days are ahead for this team.. go knickerbockers

CoolClyde

pringle on donnie's mind

nice post. looking forward to Donnie's next movements...

walsh_pringle.jpg

KBlack25

Starter
Good post - it's true. The flexibility Donnie gave us when he came in here with 2010 in mind is great. You can tell this guy knows how to run a team, getting rid of impossible contracts and having us to where I honestly thought we never would be...

Except J-Smoove does not have a max deal - my bet WAS, before this run in the playoffs, that JSmoove would be traded - but I'm not sure anymore. That Joe Johnson deal is going to be a back breaker in two years, thank God we didn't land him.

Hopes are higher, but Knicks are not ready yet.

Good post. A lot of conjecture though and too bad the game isn't played on the court by contracts.

It is nice to have Amar'e and Carmelo under contract but Walsh has yet to figure out what type of team to build. His biggest test will be building a team around those two stars -- a team that can play with the coach he selected. Does he decide to build a team that can and will play well on both sides of the ball or does he accommodate D'Antoni's system?

Walsh must get us a couple of point guards (one starting), a center, another defensive athletic power forward (with considerable height and weight) and a couple of effective two guards. Th best of these must come cheaply and through the draft. Can Walsh do that or did he put us in a position that diminishes our ability to maneuver for cheap labor.

While I have little confidence in Danny Ainge, he has learned how to GM and picking up Jeff Green for Perkin's contract was a smart move. He will probably extend Pierce's life-span. If he can find a better guard than West to run the offense, a solid big to replace the O'Neal's and an eventual heir to Allen's spot, I wuld not count them out. The Spurs, Grizzlies and Thunder have proven that teams are not built on contracts alone but a smart mix of labor that fits on the court as well as financially.

The Knicks have not convinced me that we are ready for a championship run yet.

Good post - it's true. The flexibility Donnie gave us when he came in here with 2010 in mind is great. You can tell this guy knows how to run a team, getting rid of impossible contracts and having us to where I honestly thought we never would be...

Except J-Smoove does not have a max deal - my bet WAS, before this run in the playoffs, that JSmoove would be traded - but I'm not sure anymore. That Joe Johnson deal is going to be a back breaker in two years, thank God we didn't land him.
They should of just waited for Dwight Howard, he probably would sign since its his hometown and their a pretty good team. Horford is an undersized pf and they have absolutely no flexibility to sign a center or anyone really.

Wargames

Starter
They should of just waited for Dwight Howard, he probably would sign since its his hometown and their a pretty good team. Horford is an undersized pf and they have absolutely no flexibility to sign a center or anyone really.

It's funny you said this because I think Atlanta still has the best chance to get Howard. If they trade josh smith and hinrich and some picks for Howard and duhon both teams aren't being robbed. And Howard would be with a team that could win it all and Orlando would have enough players to entice teams to take bad contracts or trade for picks.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
It's funny you said this because I think Atlanta still has the best chance to get Howard. If they trade josh smith and hinrich and some picks for Howard and duhon both teams aren't being robbed. And Howard would be with a team that could win it all and Orlando would have enough players to entice teams to take bad contracts or trade for picks.
I would love to see, if traded, Howard play for the Hawks. It'd be great since it's his hometown.

KBlack25

Starter
I see D12 pulling a Carmelo - refusing to sign an extension unless he is traded to the team he wants to go to...who that team would be? Not sure - but LAL could make a Bynum/Odom/multiple 1sts offer...

I've been known to be a bit of a capaholic lol,

I understand where the OP was going and I'm a huge Donnie fan.

But realize your going out to 2013 season and our big two will make 47.8 mil.

Now we have no idea about what the cap will be but lets say its 60MIL, Billups comes off the books after this season so Donnie will no doubt go for the bank in 2012.

Lets face it he came here and preached 2010, its now 2011 and we are looking forward to FA in 2012.

So lets all hope that toast CP3 made was an omen as we either get him at the trade deadline or wait for FA.

Then Donnie will have given us our own big three and hopefully can fill out the roster.

I also see Howard going to LA, Miami being a problem, and Chicago with Rose always being a problem.

But from where we were to where we are is simply great.

I've been known to be a bit of a capaholic lol,

I understand where the OP was going and I'm a huge Donnie fan.

But realize your going out to 2013 season and our big two will make 47.8 mil.

Now we have no idea about what the cap will be but lets say its 60MIL, Billups comes off the books after this season so Donnie will no doubt go for the bank in 2012.

Lets face it he came here and preached 2010, its now 2011 and we are looking forward to FA in 2012.

So lets all hope that toast CP3 made was an omen as we either get him at the trade deadline or wait for FA.

Then Donnie will have given us our own big three and hopefully can fill out the roster.

I also see Howard going to LA, Miami being a problem, and Chicago with Rose always being a problem.

But from where we were to where we are is simply great.

what you fail to realize is i did go out to 2013 and beyond

the whole point of the OP was not to isolate the knicks cap situation going forward, but compare it to every other competitive team with stars in the eastern conference, and the truth is

by 2015 we will have the most flexibility in comparison to every one else

I dont need to go out to 2013 for the knicks, because I made the point about every other team being dredged in cap hell until 2014 or further.

re-read the OP and realize I was comparing, not pointing out the knicks.

I was showing every one that Donnie has put the knicks in place, to consistently every year for the next 5-7 years go after pieces to retool and rework their franchise, the only other team I would say currently is run in a similar fashion, is the Lakers, and the Mavericks. Those teams for a decade now have been able to add and pluck pieces here or there to continue their 55 plus win seasons, hold onto their stars and contend year after year

funny thing is

both those teams are in the west.

what you fail to realize is i did go out to 2013 and beyond

the whole point of the OP was not to isolate the knicks cap situation going forward, but compare it to every other competitive team with stars in the eastern conference, and the truth is

by 2015 we will have the most flexibility in comparison to every one else

I dont need to go out to 2013 for the knicks, because I made the point about every other team being dredged in cap hell until 2014 or further.

re-read the OP and realize I was comparing, not pointing out the knicks.

I was showing every one that Donnie has put the knicks in place, to consistently every year for the next 5-7 years go after pieces to retool and rework their franchise, the only other team I would say currently is run in a similar fashion, is the Lakers, and the Mavericks. Those teams for a decade now have been able to add and pluck pieces here or there to continue their 55 plus win seasons, hold onto their stars and contend year after year

funny thing is

both those teams are in the west.

Okay I see your point but till the new CBA is made we have no idea.

Donnie did a great job, there is no question there, but if all goes to plan and he gets another top FA in 2012 we are capped out.

The key to me with many teams is will there be a MLE or not.

Miami gets an MLE they will land a center for sure and be even stronger.

The new CBA will make things very interesting.