Walsh Said Leeway!!!!

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
All u David Lee Haters.....I have not forgotten all the Laydum and Isiah traded players u gloated over....but that was the past.

Hypothetically writing, if the Knicks did get Lebron James what position would he let Gallo play alongside of him?

I know what positions Lebron James would have Lee, Nate, & Chandler play alongside of him for 30 mpg, bc we all know their best talents.
And those 3 players talents over match the talents Lebron had on his 66 win team.

Diablo Kiyaman are you serious?

Better than Mo Williams, Delante West, Daniel Gibson? Better than Ilgauskas, Varejao, Joe Smith?

sealy23

Rookie
Looking at all the starting PF in the league the last two seasons, and all the top contender teams that could use the services of David Lee, makes me real angry (upset) when I read a Knick-Fan write David Lee is worth $6M or $7M.

David Lee would actually average 30 mpg on the Celtics (we better hope like hell the Celtics dont pull off some em to get Lee this offseason).....Lee may not be worth the $15M bracket in the league b/c he was drafted by a confused Knick organization who only had one decent bigman (Dale Davis) since Lee was drafted to tandem with in the frontcourt.

But for anyone to think that David Lee is not worth $9M to $12M his 5th season in the NBA need to only watch college ball and Euro-League B-Ball (semi-pro).
Earning $10M per in the NBA is not All-Star or Star status but it is Horry, Ginobli, Odom, Prince, Richard Jefferson, and that guy Larry Hughes on the Wizards between Jamison & Arenas, which is the middle man to boost the team to the next level.
Lee's hustle in the paint and "pick n role" with Duhon or Nate makes him a pure 3rd option on offense alongside of 3rd option Nate & Chandler.
Now take this so-call 2010 plan and get a first option SG or Center.

How many strong rebounding Bigmen did Duncan have in his rotation for each of his Championship Rings?
KG would still be in Minny if Dum Dum Mchale would've drafted David Lee.

The Knicks finally drafts another Bigman that can rebound alongside of David Lee & Chandler to give Knick opositions just "one shot" at the basket, and all u silly 2010 Fans dont think the top "double double" player last season dont deserve half of the salary that Amare & Bosh will demand.

Well, if we lose David Lee and all our oponents have 2 and 3 chances to make a shot this season and in the 2010-11 season b/c we were not able to convince a rebounder to sign for $15M it will be on all u so-call Fan Favorites dont know the value of NBA B-Ball.....u guys are willing to give Amare & Bosh $20M, but not Lee $10M.

U so-call Knick-Fans Disgust a hard nose 40 year Knick-Fan (Kiya)...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I agree to a certain extent with what your saying, but it all comes down to whether or not Lee really wants to remain in NY. He has to understand that he is a Horry, Odom, Prince supporting cast player and the current market for him is not as high as it has been in the past. For example, Artest just received a 3 year 18 mill dollar deal. I think we all can agree he is worth much more than that, but he wanted to be in LA. Gordon is getting 10 a year bc he can take over a game on offense and Detroit had the $ to overpay. We do not.

I would love to keep Lee, but if he wants max money then good luck to him and I hope we can get something of value in return.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I'm not certain how you figure out a player's value but I'm pretty sure that it's not by rebounding alone. If a player can rebound the ball and is inconsistent scoring wise that player typically wont get the highest paying contract. Lee is a good role player and he should get the salary of a good role player. Let's face it, not that many players can play on a Labron or Kobe level but there are many players that can play on David Lee's level.

Sorry to break it to you but Lee is expendable. Walsh was right on this one, if Lee can get more money let him prove it, then Walsh can decide if he wants to match the offer.

ANU

Starter
I'm not certain how you figure out a player's value but I'm pretty sure that it's not by rebounding alone. If a player can rebound the ball and is inconsistent scoring wise that player typically wont get the highest paying contract. Lee is a good role player and he should get the salary of a good role player. Let's face it, not that many players can play on a Labron or Kobe level but there are many players that can play on David Lee's level.

Sorry to break it to you but Lee is expendable. Walsh was right on this one, if Lee can get more money let him prove it, then Walsh can decide if he wants to match the offer.
exactly.i don't now how you can be a "fan" of a team, when you're getting into a tizzy about what a player on that team might get paid, knowing it can compromise possibly adding the best player in the world, who makes us an instant championship contender.smh, it's like this team hasn't won shit in such a long time, "fans" are content with rebounding titles, and 8th playoff spots.anybody that calls what the knicks reportedly offered mistreatment is an absolute fool, or is an incredibly rich douchbag.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
exactly.i don't now how you can be a "fan" of a team, when you're getting into a tizzy about what a player on that team might get paid, knowing it can compromise possibly adding the best player in the world, who makes us an instant championship contender.smh, it's like this team hasn't won shit in such a long time, "fans" are content with rebounding titles, and 8th playoff spots.anybody that calls what the knicks reportedly offered mistreatment is an absolute fool, or is an incredibly rich douchbag.

Some people just don't get it! Totally agree with you on this, they just don't understand basketball. Enough said.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Why is Lee all of a sudden being bashed by almost the entire board?I'm not saying he's not tradeable or anything, but it seems like people are making him out to be a D-League player now that it's the offseason and trading season...

ANU

Starter
lol.bashing? he's a very good rebounder, good pick and roller, and his defense sucks butt.we've known this for some time.nobody is saying anything different than what's been said about him before.bashing? no.that's the god honest truth.stop overreacting.

moneyg

Starter
:smokin:lee aint goin nowhere.... to be honest .. in todays economy he is only worth about 8 mil per and i think most teams that could have signed him will only sign him up to a four year deal... kidd will not be in ny...he used the knicks to drive up his price.. while the knicks used him to show other teams that we are willin to go more than one year (nate) for the right player ... not sayin kidd is the right one...lee would be folish to sign will okc.. and i dont believe they will spend more than that on him... i dont see him in portand either... they have oden, prizbella, aldrigde and just drafted a couple of PFs....

lees best bet sign a one year with us or take the qualifyin offer... we aint doin no sign and trade for lee or nate... cury to houston.. i luv it... jefferies to washington.. i like this too.. dont care what we get back as long as the contract expire in 2010....

umynot

Benchwarmer
Walsh did say Leeway........... and I know but wont talk about it much!!

This has to mean Curry or JJ somehow gone!!

Heard MDA saying he loves jj game... and him as a player and person!
I say really? Gotta be holding firm on a deal for him. Kenny Thomas rumor works for me!! He has proven to like the run and gun type offense and his deal expires this year so we stick to the plan!!

Would love this Tracy for Curry and Mobley to be for real..... Tracy injured helps us more then Curry and Mobley for sure and 23 million off the books!! Again win win for everyone!!

I hope and Pray for Rubio though more then anyone!! He is gonna be the next great PG in this league thats for sure!! NY deserves Rubio!!

Us as fans should demand this to happen!!

Overpay if you have to just get it done!!

Larry Hughes next to Flynn with Al and Love up front or maybe Harrigton With Love and Al ........... Give them both!!

Would love to keep Chandler but if he gets us Rubio I'll wish him well!!!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
lol.bashing? he's a very good rebounder, good pick and roller, and his defense sucks butt.we've known this for some time.nobody is saying anything different than what's been said about him before.bashing? no.that's the god honest truth.stop overreacting.
lol Well maybe I haven't read enough here, but it just seemed like it.Also seemed like his flaws have been pointed out too much lately too instead of also pointing out his positives.Didn't mean to sound like I was overreacting though.

Red

TYPE-A
The leeway is Dolan gave Donnie permission to buy out Curry or Jeffries AFTER all possibilities are exhausted. Dolan is sold on the 2 superstar idea and knows the winning and revenue will off set the loss. He was convinced when the season ticket orders for 2010 were through the roof do to Donnie selling his 2yr plan to fans. Good job Donnie. We know what's up. Curry and/or Jeffries will be gone regardless but only after he exhausts all posibilites.

The leeway is Dolan gave Donnie permission to buy out Curry or Jeffries AFTER all possibilities are exhausted. Dolan is sold on the 2 superstar idea and knows the winning and revenue will off set the loss. He was convinced when the season ticket orders for 2010 were through the roof do to Donnie selling his 2yr plan to fans. Good job Donnie. We know what's up. Curry and/or Jeffries will be gone regardless but only after he exhausts all posibilites.

Sounds about right and it just shows how commited they are to the plan.

Exciting times ahead.

dpryde

Benchwarmer

wait but even after we buy them out they'd still be affecting our cap, am i missing something? i think so :/

Oldtimer

Rotation player
They Still Count Against the Cap

"Buying out" Curry and Jefferies will not help. Their full 2010-11 salaries will still count against the cap. We have got to get somebody else to take them. I still see Houston and T-Mac's $23M expiring contract in the picture.

dpryde

Benchwarmer
"Buying out" Curry and Jefferies will not help. Their full 2010-11 salaries will still count against the cap. We have got to get somebody else to take them. I still see Houston and T-Mac's $23M expiring contract in the picture.

yea thought so, im still confused on what the leeway is then?

CoolClyde

The Leeway is the Rightway

Earning $10M per in the NBA is not All-Star or Star status but it is Horry, Ginobli, Odom, Prince, Richard Jefferson, and that guy Larry Hughes on the Wizards between Jamison & Arenas, which is the middle man to boost the team to the next level.
Lee's hustle in the paint and "pick n role" with Duhon or Nate makes him a pure 3rd option on offense alongside of 3rd option Nate & Chandler.
Now take this so-call 2010 plan and get a first option SG or Center.
The Knicks finally drafts another Bigman that can rebound alongside of David Lee & Chandler to give Knick opositions just "one shot" at the basket, and all u silly 2010 Fans dont think the top "double double" player last season dont deserve half of the salary that Amare & Bosh will demand.u guys are willing to give Amare & Bosh $20M, but not Lee $10M....
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Agreed Kiyaman, I'd say Lee is worth $10M compared to $20M for Amare or Bosh. However, those middle men (ie: Ginobli, Horry, Jefferson, Prince) can light it up from outside, and may be worth an extra couple mill for what they contribute offensively.

IMO, $8Mill is fair for DLee, but I'd hope DW tries to find a (Lee) way to pay him more if another team offers comparable bucks. Finally, we have a player the entire town LOVES (aside from a few DLee haters), we got leaner and meaner with Hill, Darko and Tony, and we're gonna lose one of our best players for a couple million? That's why I hate to see $5M offered for Grant Hill's 1-year services... we paid Eddy Curry $10M to eat fries on the bench, Jerome James $6M to sit and s*hit, Stephon $20M to hang out... it makes me so mad.

DLee haters: with Mike No-D'Antoni running the team, how can you get on a player's case by weighing his cons (no defense) over his pros (guaranteed double double, pick n roll, amazing outlet passes, positive attitude and hustle)?

As Kiyadude says, let's sign DLee, and get ourselves a true SG and center, and we're ready for 2010. oh yeah, maybe a true PG too.

I can't see us losing DLee AND N8... not only would this suck royally, but I don't wanna change my avatar... I love those guys!

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Agreed Kiyaman, I'd say Lee is worth $10M compared to $20M for Amare or Bosh. However, those middle men (ie: Ginobli, Horry, Jefferson, Prince) can light it up from outside, and may be worth an extra couple mill for what they contribute offensively.

IMO, $8Mill is fair for DLee, but I'd hope DW tries to find a (Lee) way to pay him more if another team offers comparable bucks. Finally, we have a player the entire town LOVES (aside from a few DLee haters), we got leaner and meaner with Hill, Darko and Tony, and we're gonna lose one of our best players for a couple million? That's why I hate to see $5M offered for Grant Hill's 1-year services... we paid Eddy Curry $10M to eat fries on the bench, Jerome James $6M to sit and s*hit, Stephon $20M to hang out... it makes me so mad.

DLee haters: with Mike No-D'Antoni running the team, how can you get on a player's case by weighing his cons (no defense) over his pros (guaranteed double double, pick n roll, amazing outlet passes, positive attitude and hustle)?

As Kiyadude says, let's sign DLee, and get ourselves a true SG and center, and we're ready for 2010. oh yeah, maybe a true PG too.

I can't see us losing DLee AND N8... not only would this suck royally, but I don't wanna change my avatar... I love those guys!

I've go mixed feelings on your post. On one hand I agree with you. On any other team Lee would get some kind of reasonable offer because he's consistent and rebounds. Or he would be traded for someone of equal value. But the fact that he's not a consistent scorer and Walsh expects 2010 to be the year of the chosen one makes all of this impossible.

On the other hand I don't think Lee is 'not' worth 10 million per year. He's only had one really good season and we didn't make the playoffs. Had he help lead us there, different story. Being a decent player on a bad team isn't enough to get a max contract.

Red

TYPE-A
maybe the "leeway" is Eddie Curry lost 50LBS!!! He was clocked at a 4:40 and improved his vertical 6inches. Walsh plans on keeping him and pairing him with Lebron for years!!!!!! LOL yeah right who knows???