Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Terry Porter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul Silas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
As much as I like Marc Jackson, he has no coaching experience. Hiring Jackson over Williams who has seven years of coaching experience would be a slap in the face. If anything Jackson should be hired as an assistant coach but at this point nothing more.

metrocard

Legend
It doesn't matter how long they been coaching or who they are.

Just give the position to a man who will enforce work ethic in and out the gym, commands respect for the team and the organizations, and preaches unity within the teammates. You don't need the most talented team in the NBA to win the title, you just need a group of individuals who work together and feel comfortable under their head coach.

Who ever this guy is hopefully the Knicks personnel make the right decision and grab him instead of just grabbing the biggest name out there and making the same mistake we always do. (Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas, etc)

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Sure it matters how long they've been coaching! Larry Brown was right and we were all wrong. Curry is lazy and Marbury isn't the floor general we need to say the least. Herb is a proven coach under adversity. We saw that when he took over for Lenny Wilkins (Firing Wilkins, another dumb move by Thomas). Give Herb full control over coaching personnel and three years to turn it around.

New New York

Quiet Storm
It doesn't matter how long they been coaching or who they are.

Just give the position to a man who will enforce work ethic in and out the gym, commands respect for the team and the organizations, and preaches unity within the teammates. You don't need the most talented team in the NBA to win the title, you just need a group of individuals who work together and feel comfortable under their head coach.

Who ever this guy is hopefully the Knicks personnel make the right decision and grab him instead of just grabbing the biggest name out there and making the same mistake we always do. (Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas, etc)

I agree mostly with you, but Larry Brown preached hard work, and respect for playing the game "the right way". He loved The Knicks, but wasnt a good fit. I agree that these should be qualities we search for in a coach, but just anyone who comes in with that philosophy isnt an instant success. Bob Knight would bring those same principles, but I think you and I can agree he would not be a good fit for The Knicks. But again you are right about needing respect, work ethic, etc.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
What about Clyde? As an assisstant anyway. Apparantly he wants to help.

'CLYDE' TO THE RESCUE
KNICK LEGEND EAGER TO TEACH DEFENSE

By MARC BERMAN

April 1, 2008 -- MILWAUKEE - All James Dolan has to do is ask.

Knicks legend Walt Frazier, who has avoided coaching to date, told The Post he is eager to serve as a part-time defensive instructor next season when president-in-waiting Donnie Walsh is expected to make a full scale purge.

"Clyde," a Knicks' Hall-of-Famer, can envision attending training camp and periodic practices to teach defensive fundamentals - an area he believes doomed the soon-to-be-vanquished Isiah Thomas Era. Frazier was named to the NBA's first team All Defense seven times.

"I'd be delighted to help," Frazier said after watching another miserable defensive outing in Sunday nights 114-109 loss in Atlanta. "(But) they've never asked me to do anything with the team."

Frazier, the team broadcaster for 21 years, said he is surprised he, Earl Monroe, Bill Bradley, Willis Reed and other members of the 1970 and 1973 championship teams have never been invited to training camp to work with the players. Last season Patrick Ewing was unemployed but wasn't asked to help out either.

"We have a legacy," Clyde said. "Usually I would think when they go to training camp, they'd bring some of the Knick guys down to perpetuate the legacy of the team. You have Hall-of-Fame players."

Frazier's broadcasting role could be further reduced when Walsh comes in. The Pacers have one of the game's best color commentators, Clark Kellogg, who also works national college games.

Frazier sensed three years ago the club was trying to phase him out but heard Thomas stood up for him.

Frazier still has no aspirations to be a full-time head coach, but his vast knowledge is being wasted on the airwaves. He is such an unassuming person, it is doubtful he would get in the way of the new coaching staff.

"I see a lot of things I can help guys with, especially defense," Frazier said. "That's my forte. I really love defense."

The Knicks are dead last in defensive field goal percentage (47.3 percent) and blocked shots (2.6 ppg). Frazier does not agree with Thomas' defensive system.

If the Knicks were a little sturdier on defense, Frazier said he feels this season's catastrophe could have been avoided.

"To me, it's defense," said Frazier, who turned 63 Saturday. "That's the quick fix, if you want to turn your team around quickly. You look at Toronto, Orlando, teams that have improved in this league, they began playing better defense. They're not a good team because they're at the bottom in steals, worst in the league in blocked shots."

According to Frazier's attorney, Maged Riad, the Mavericks were interested in Frazier for an assistant's position seven years ago when Don Nelson was the coach. But a firm offer never came.

The Knicks current assistant staff is a hodgepodge, remnants from Don Chaney's staff (Herb Williams), Larry Brown's staff (Dave Hanners) and Isiah's handpicked guys (Mark Aguirre and George Glymph). Only Williams - and possibly Brendan Suhr because of his draft acumen - figure to survive the Walsh purge.

Williams likely will be interviewed for the head coaching job, but would need to hire a veteran X's and O's coach in the Dick Harter mold, an ingredient the current staff does not have.

Frazier said he is content with his 65-game broadcast schedule, which allows him his in-season trips to his home in St. Croix. As the players can't wait for the end of the season, neither can Clyde.