Would u be ok with missing the playoffs if that was the only way MDA would be fired?

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
I would love to make the playoffs, but honestly lets be real.....

Basketball IS PREDICTABLE.....or I should say the NBA is predictable. When is the last time you have been shocked at who won the Finals? It doesnt happen, this is NOT THE NFL where ANYONE that makes the playoffs has a shot, and it sucks that we are still pretty far away from being a team with a REAL chance.

Now, I still want to make the playoffs, it would be great and a nice change from sitting home watching other teams instead, but the goal is becoming a true contender and championship caliber team, not a middle of the pack team that might win a series before going home and thats there ceiling. IMO, a team without D will NEVER win a title, its just not going to happen so if MDA doesnt change up his style it is pointless to keep him around.

Problem is, there is no guarentee that he gets fired is we dont make the playoffs. In the end, its up to the Owner to realize what is best for the team and make the moves needed to get us where we need to be. I cant root against the Knicks, I will root for them from here on out as usual, but I just hope our owner gets us to the point in the next year or two where we are a TRUE CONTENDER.

knicksin60

Starter
Crazy⑧s;168085 said:
Sacrificing playoffs?

Are you mental?

I don't believe that the players on the roster should tank the season in order to jeopardize D'antoni's job but if the only way for D'antoni to get replaced by a better coach is for the Knicks to miss the playoffs, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Judging by the way the Knicks have played in the past few weeks against teams like the Cavs and the Pacers, they would get demolished in the first round.Unless they take defense seriously, they won't make it to the second round.If D'antoni is coaching this team next year, I wouldn't expect a different result.Do Knick fans really want to see the Knicks waste another year without getting closer to becoming a championship contender?

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;168085 said:
Sacrificing playoffs?

Are you mental?

Haterade is a powerful juice.

I do see what he's saying tho, or trying to get at. I still don't want MDA shitcanned anytime soon regardless, so i obviously disagree, tho.

End justifies the means, step back to move a few forward, etc etc.

It's like a political party staying in power bc some highly publicized issue goes well for whatever reason not truly associated with them...Incidental.

Then they ride it to stay in power another 4yrs.

smokes

Huge Member
I would love to make the playoffs, but honestly lets be real.....

Basketball IS PREDICTABLE.....or I should say the NBA is predictable. When is the last time you have been shocked at who won the Finals? It doesnt happen, this is NOT THE NFL where ANYONE that makes the playoffs has a shot, and it sucks that we are still pretty far away from being a team with a REAL chance.

Now, I still want to make the playoffs, it would be great and a nice change from sitting home watching other teams instead, but the goal is becoming a true contender and championship caliber team, not a middle of the pack team that might win a series before going home and thats there ceiling. IMO, a team without D will NEVER win a title, its just not going to happen so if MDA doesnt change up his style it is pointless to keep him around.

Problem is, there is no guarentee that he gets fired is we dont make the playoffs. In the end, its up to the Owner to realize what is best for the team and make the moves needed to get us where we need to be. I cant root against the Knicks, I will root for them from here on out as usual, but I just hope our owner gets us to the point in the next year or two where we are a TRUE CONTENDER.

While I agree to some extent it's predictable I don't think it's ever a forgone conclusion.

Chicago took the NBA champion Boston Celtics to a 7 game series with a rookie Derek Rose. Oklahoma had a legit shot of taking out the Lakers last year. As did Denver the year before.

Ok yes it has been the usual suspects going to the finals for several years now and most teams that reach the finals who weren't expected to don't win (1999 Knicks for example) but still, that is the essence of sports. The best teams will usually win... But NOT always :thumbsup::gony:

NY17

Benchwarmer
I am not a fan of D'Antoni at all, but I'm a Knicks fan. No way I would root for my team to fail unless we were tanking for the number 1 pick and rebuilding, which we aren't.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
While I agree to some extent it's predictable I don't think it's ever a forgone conclusion.

Chicago took the NBA champion Boston Celtics to a 7 game series with a rookie Derek Rose. Oklahoma had a legit shot of taking out the Lakers last year. As did Denver the year before.

Ok yes it has been the usual suspects going to the finals for several years now and most teams that reach the finals who weren't expected to don't win (1999 Knicks for example) but still, that is the essence of sports. The best teams will usually win... But NOT always :thumbsup::gony:
Yeah, I just feel frustrated watching the Knicks lately (even though it was nice to get a W tonight) and just cant stand when teams dont play D.

While the 90s Knicks never won a title, I felt like they always had a TRUE SHOT at winning a title year in and year out because they played hard, tough D. Yes, they would eventually lose to Chicago, but watching those series were great, loved the competition and fight the Knicks had, even though it was heartbreaking at the end and I just miss that.

While I dont think MDA is a horrible coach, he just reminds me of a good coach but not the type to win titles, more the type to put together an entertaining O and get your team to a certain level, but is not the guy to get you to the next level as a true championship team.

I hope I am wrong and he proves me wrong, I want to root for the guy as he is the coach of my team, but I will say this.......IF I knew missing the playoffs would guarentee us a new coach that COULD get us to the next level, then so be it. We have waited long enough for a true winner, whats another year? Better than being stuck in the middle and wasting years on being a good team but never a team with a true shot at winning a title.

In the end, I just want what everyone else here wants, a Championship.

First I like to mention that this is a thread for those people who want Mike D'antoni gone.This is not a thread for D'antoni defenders to give 101 reasons why he should keep his job as the coach of the NY Knicks.

There is no doubt that the Knicks aren't going to win a championship with him coaching them nor will they ever become an elite team.His flaws as a head coach have been evident for the past 3 seasons and in order for the Knicks as an team to take a step forward in the right direction they need to get rid of him and hire a coach who can at least teach them the value of playing defense.

Since there is a great chance that D'antoni will be coaching this team next season if they make the playoffs, and since the Knicks will continue to be a mediocre sub five hundred team that only cares about offense, would you want the Knicks to miss the playoffs this year if it was the only way for D'antoni to be given the door?

I know it seems bizarre for any fan to hope that his team misses the playoffs but I'd rather see the Knicks miss the playoffs one time if it could lead them out of mediocrity in the long term.Not that it is a guarantee that the Knicks will all of a sudden become an elite team with a new coach.But if the Knicks go another season with Mike D'antoni, it could delay them another year of becoming a championship team.

BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!! Look I'm not on board with this coach trying to change his ways. 99.999999% of real NBA fans know in order to win a chip you have to play both ends of the court, WELL. Personally, for me I'm not looking for just one chip. I'm greedy. I want three before STAT and MELO ride off into the sunset. At least THREE. MDA seems like a very nice person, but I'm not with him coaching the Knicks beyond this season.

GOTTA GO, GOTTA GO!!!

iJoe

Rotation player
Way to be anti fans. You should root that all our players get injured and we lose every game so we can get a higher draft pick too. GTFO

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Way to be anti fans. You should root that all our players get injured and we lose every game so we can get a higher draft pick too. GTFO

I have a friend that does that with the Sixers. He calls its sacrificing for the greater good.... HAHA. I tried to tell him at the beginning of the year his team was better than he thought.

His responses was: "They stink. They should lose every game."

When they started doing better, I told him: "See, they are a good team."

His response: "Great, stuck in mediocrity with two guys take up most of our money. I'll give you Andre Igudola and Elton Brand for a second round draft pick and a bag of rice."

KingofNy

Starter
Given the fact we could still miss the playoffs, I would trade not making the playoffs this season to fire Antoni in a heartbeat. This team has been hard to watch. I could live with losing the last 2 years knowing that we weren't playing with much but it's become evident during those years that Antoni couldn't coach his team to play defense if the opponents offense only had 2 players. We're not going to go anywhere with that fool this season anyways... I don't know how you guys are happy having a coach that turns away and/or outcasts most bigs and anyone else that doesn't PERFECTLY fit his system.

We've all seen what happens when Antoni's boss picks up a player that Antoni doesn't like...They're gone after one year and most never even make it to the court (AR, Brewer, Shaq, ect.) This is why we're never going to be better than 2 and done in the playoffs under Antoni. Well, that and Antoni is nothing better than a decent offensive assistant let alone a head coach. Don't bring up his time in Phoenix because he's never won $hit that mattered.

Do you guys honestly think we're gonna get out of the first round anyways? If you do you guys are delirious... We'll be lucky to win more than a game with the way our defense has played ALL season for the last THREE years. The guy CAN'T COACH DEFENSE. PERIOD. Get this fool out of here at all costs so we can finally build a championship caliber team with a good defense and even better HALF COURT OFFENSE. Bring on JVG AT ALL COSTS!

TakMan

Rotation player
Does that stand for, "Glorify the Front Office"?

If it does, you left out an exclamation mark.

And no, I will not glorify or worship the front office until they give D'antoni his walking papers.

Dunno about everyone else, but I was impressed with the team's defensive display for most of the game. To be fair, it was a pretty easy win by the end of it. Let's not forget Memphis is theoretically a much tougher opponent than Indiana and Cleveland. Yet we've beat them twice. Beat the Bulls and the Heat also. In fact we've recorded quite a few wins against top teams this season. The team will gain in consistency sometime soon (hopefully ASAP), but I think once everyone's role on the court is more clearly defined and more sacrifices are made by our top players in favour of the team's overall performance, that many will be pleasantly surprised by this team.

Or bitterly disappointed judging by some of the comments here.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
one-star_design.png

Quoted for truth. This is up there with the Stat fraud thread. Anyone who would want to miss a chance at a title run for the sake of getting rid of our coach is more filled with hate for our coach then love for our team. SMFH...

iJoe

Rotation player
Does that stand for, "Glorify the Front Office"?

If it does, you left out an exclamation mark.

And no, I will not glorify or worship the front office until they give D'antoni his walking papers.

GTFO and yes it pertains to my feelings towards you.

The extreme hatred towards one person leading towards you rooting against your own team is sickening. Its not even like an Isiah Thomas who was clearly not even trying and had scouts throwing their notepads in disgust as he never called a single play.

This is a brand new team that you all expect to suddenly run like a group of Vets that have been together for years. You honestly think changing coaches will turn us into a top defensive team? Maybe the other teams scoring will go down, but I guarantee you that we'd be losing the same or more. This team is just not built for slow down ball yet.

Every single damn flaw you see is somehow all attributed to the coach. You think thats new? Theres a reason why almost every single coach of the year gets fired within two years of winning the award. Its the easiest and cheapest thing to blame the coach. There are so many different things that factor into a team. If one person is messing everything up, trust Walsh to fire that person yesterday.

Its one thing to wish for a different coach (I don't even want Dantoni). Its a totally different thing if you're rooting for your own team to lose. Like I said before.... might as well just tank every season until you get your perfect draft picks and dream players before even trying to win then. I think your vagina is bleeding now, you should learn to man up.

KBlack25

Starter
No. I do not want to miss the playoffs to fire the head coach, as bad as some think he is, to let our incompetent owner go find another coach on the cheap.

Blas

Benchwarmer
You play to win the game.

As much as you want to justify tanking, it cheapens basketball and its a poor attitude to have especially as an athlete.

Did Jordan or Kobe "tank" games in order to get the perfect coach/cast surrounding them?

Never.

They always worked hard and always tried to win no matter what.

They are winners.

Your suggestion is for losers. And following it will always make a loser still a loser.

p0nder

Starter
Why miss out on giving guys like Toney Douglas and Landry Fields a chance to run in the playoffs and get some experience in high pressure situations?

Playoffs this year is essential to the growth and development of the team. It will do a lot for the chemistry and team defense if we get a chance to play some playoff basketball. I think this experience is essential regardless of your views on MDA. They need time to gel and work out together. This post season is a great opportunity to bring their game to the next level. I don't know if we'll see them in the finals or anything this year, but just getting to play in a playoff series, against a conference foe would be an amazing thing for the young team we have right now.

Why are you guys jumping all over the O P? This is a Knick team that hasnt made the playoffs since ma left pa. Its pretty much agreed that MDA and his style wont win you a chip. What should be the goal here? Getting playoff experience for our young guys or putting together a coaching staff that is capable of winning a ring? Not one but possibly multiple rings. The options given in the OP should lead any Knick fan to choose whats best for the team. An early exit this year as opposed to the possibility of winning multiple chips? I mean really is there truly a decision to be made here?