Earl says Melo can wear 15 if He Wants

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Earl Monroe says Carmelo Anthony can wear No. 15 if he wants

Kurt Helin
Mar 5, 2011, 1:30 PM EST
carmelo-knicks3.jpg

When PBT talked to him last week, Knicks legend Earl “The Pearl” Monroe was raving about these New York Knicks. He likes what he sees. He likes what Carmelo Anthony brings.
And if Anthony wants to unretired Monroe’s No. 15 jersey, Monroe is good with that, he told the New York Post.
Anthony wears No. 7 because the No. 15 jersey he wore in Denver for seven seasons (and one at Syracuse) had been retired by the Knicks not once, but twice.
Monroe’s 15 was retired in 1986 and again for Dick McGuire in 1992. McGuire passed away last year.
“[Carmelo] talked to me on the podium after the press conference and I told him I’m fine with it but he’d have to ask the McGuires,” Monroe told The Post. “Fifteen, it’s just a number to me. I’d be honored if he wore it.”
If a player wants to wear a new jersey number next season he has to apply by March 1 to the league. Anthony did not meet that deadline. So he will be No. 7 next year.
The Knicks would probably be good with him switching numbers in a few years. Right now his No. 7 jersey merchandise is flying off the shelves at Madison Square Garden. A number change in a couple years and people have to buy all new stuff again… nah, nobody would ever be that crass at marketing. Right Kobe?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if I am 100% on board with this. I mean, 'Melo would look much better in 15 than he does in 7- But, why ruin History and the retiring of the number? If he'd like to honor him he could do many other things, like looking up at his retired 15 before games or something. I don't see anything absolutely wrong with this, but I think I'd rather 'Melo just stick it out with 7.

I don't see anything wrong with this, but I hope Carmelo is the type of person to say thank you Earl, but no thanks; & keep #15 retired. Melo can one day have his very own jersey # of 7 retired as a Knick. Also, I loved the thought of Melo sporting #7. #7 has always been my favorite number. My mother always had strong faith in god & 7 has always been her favorite lucky number as well. I guess the #7 has always hit close to home for me; I enjoy watching Melo represent #7 as a Knick.

knicksin60

Starter
When D'antoni teaches Melo how to play defense like Earl "the Pearl" Monroe then he should be allowed to use number 15.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Just another reason to dislike Melo. What a tool. What an ego on this guy. Demands we give all our assets, draft picks and depth so he can get more money and everything he wants and now, after being here less than two weeks, he's trying to take Earl the Pearl's RETIRED number?!?! Everybody realizes we're never winning a championship with this guy, right? Out here in Colorado, everybody is happy he's gone.

KnicksFan17

Benchwarmer
I'm not buying his jersey until he decides on a number. I personally think he should keep 7 or just pick a number that no one ever wore.

finestrg

Rotation player
Gracious offer by Earl but it can't possibly be allowed..Alan Hahn mentioned it in today's Newsday: what would stop everyone else here on in from taking down retired numbers and wearing them? Melo's gotta show the respect for the game and its history and just move on..Fresh start..Brand new beginning right here in NYC! He should be thinking about playing his ass off and having #7 retired someday at the Garden..

p0nder

Starter
Melo will stay #7 but it's good to see Earl being so generous and hopeful for the knicks. Melo is a class act and has a lot of respect for NY ball and the history of the game. i'd feel comfortable buying his #7 jersey.

It's great to see these Knicks players getting along. I was worried that some of Melo's teammates may resent him. Doesn't seem to be the case now.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Don't immitate, innovate.

It's great to want to be someone when you're a kid but you're not dreaming anymore, you're living the dream now. I want to sit here 20 years from now with the Knicks having drafted some kid who wants to wear number 7 because Melo was his hero.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Agreed #7 is a good number. Hopefully he'll immortalize that # as a Knick for the next 4 years.

more then 4 years, i see him hanging up those laces as a knick; cant envision him or stat playing anywhere else really