Defense? The Knicks Hit a Record 20 3-Pointers

It's the same story time and time again. Even Clyde and Mike Breen seem to be tired of it. They kept repeating themselves yesterday about 5 times that we suck defensively (especially STAT - who is one of the 3 worst defenders in the league).

Jeffries, Douglas, Balkman, Carter and Turiaf are good defenders - the rest is only talking the talk but not walking the walk.

Red

TYPE-A
We did hold them to under 100 so...

Yup, can't complain about that.

And please posters (not u Trill) STOP looking into individual stats and realize defense is a TEAM concept. With our lineup:
Billups Vet defender
TD ACC DPOY
Fields SF 6'7 playing against SG's
Amare 6'10 Athletic
JJ, Turiaf, Williams Role players with some def savvy

Plus more like Mason

There's no reason we can't compete defensively when working as a cohesive unit, and this and other games prove it.

Consistency is the key. Scouting the enemy is a close 2nd.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Add... the 1-3-1 & 3-2 zone have potential.

The weakness in a zone or those zones are corner jumpers.
How to beat the zone is to force the zone to colapse, move the ball to the open shot.

To prevent this and be effective in a zone defense, players must anticipate, rotate, and CLOSE OUT on players quickly.

The help defense HAS to be there as well as communication. Our squad should be able to excel at this with time.

Anticipate, Reaction, Timing = the art of playing individual defense and the trick is where to keep your eyes. Clyde says keep an eye on your defender and the ball (which is a guards mentality).

What the true trick is is keeping your eye on the offensive players Number or Belt line. This prevents being faked by the pump, body movement, or ball fakes as the mid-section can only be manipulated so much as opposed to watching the ball, where many things can be made to happen and fake defensers out. Basketball 101.

Anyone playing, try this on defense. Keep your defender moving towards their weak side, keep'em in front of you, arms extended, and keep your eyes on his/her midsection. Let your peripheral vision and senses (like sound) work to know where the ball is while playing your man.

That's the simple way of knowing "Who knows how to play defense". When I see a player constantly getting pump faked, or poor timing on shots and blocks, it indicates poor defensive fundamentals, and unfortunately I have to blame coach.

By centering on a players midsection you train your impulse and reaction time to be quicker and mirror a players movements. When we see good defenders that's what they do.

Simpley put, in reality a defnder withou the ball should be QUICKER than a player forced to dribble. There is no excuse to be beat around when playing d except for screens and picks.

Add, to determine "what position a player should play", it should be determined by "who or what position he can guard" NOT necessarily if he/she can shoot.

Sometmes I don't think MDA realizes this and inadvertantly creates poor matchups for us.

Last edited:

Toons

is the Bo$$
Add... the 1-3-1 & 3-2 zone have potential.

The weakness in a zone or those zones are corner jumpers.
How to beat the zone is to force the zone to colapse, move the ball to the open shot.

To prevent this and be effective in a zone defense, players must anticipate, rotate, and CLOSE OUT on players quickly.

The help defense HAS to be there as well as communication. Our squad should be able to excel at this with time.

Anticipate, Reaction, Timing = the art of playing individual defense and the trick is where to keep your eyes. Clyde says keep an eye on your defender and the ball (which is a guards mentality).

What the true trick is is keeping your eye on the offensive players Number or Belt line. This prevents being faked by the pump, body movement, or ball fakes as the mid-section can only be manipulated so much as opposed to watching the ball, where many things can be made to happen and fake defensers out. Basketball 101.

Anyone playing, try this on defense. Keep your defender moving towards their weak side, keep'em in front of you, arms extended, and keep your eyes on his/her midsection. Let your peripheral vision and senses (like sound) work to know where the ball is while playing your man.

That's the simple way of knowing "Who knows how to play defense". When I see a player constantly getting pump faked, or poor timing on shots and blocks, it indicates poor defensive fundamentals, and unfortunately I have to blame coach.

By centering on a players midsection you train your impulse and reaction time to be quicker and mirror a players movements. When we see good defenders that's what they do.

Simpley put, in reality a defnder withou the ball should be QUICKER than a player forced to dribble. There is no excuse to be beat around when playing d except for screens and picks.

Add, to determine "what position a player should play", it should be determined by "who or what position he can guard" NOT necessarily if he/she can shoot.

Sometmes I don't think MDA realizes this and inadvertantly creates poor matchups for us.

lmao @ u thinking we can play 1-3-1 with no centre.
lmao @ u thinking we can play 3-2 zone when we have capable perimeter defenders....unless u meant 2-3 zone....

small teams dont play zone.....they play box in 1 or a man (a lot of effort).

i love a zone, but thats when we had mozgov in the middle.

lmao @ u thinking you know how to teach NBA players to play defense. These are professionals....that host basketball clinics for kids....the beltline? jersey number? lmao....these guys study film and play toward player tendencies as well as just playing off of instinct. Many players (kobe,melo) if you jump a split second too late, its a score.

"That's the simple way of knowing "Who knows how to play defense". When I see a player constantly getting pump faked, or poor timing on shots and blocks, it indicates poor defensive fundamentals, and unfortunately I have to blame coach."

^^
really? the coach is responsible for TEAM defense, and STRATEGY.....not individual defense. The team trainers IMO are more responsible for developing player reaction/timing/and defensive fundimentals.
I feel if the world comes to an end, it would somehow be mike dantoni's fault.

"Simpley put, in reality a defnder withou the ball should be QUICKER than a player forced to dribble. There is no excuse to be beat around when playing d except for screens and picks."

stupidest thing i ever heard. bruce bowen, shane battier, ron artest and whoever else would get beat off the dribble from john wall or derrick rose if they are all in their jersey. Most players are ambidextrous, so there really is no weak side, just honest d. There is no excuse? Mismatch, faster players, offensive moves aka crossover/spin etc. Its about developing a strategy AFTER the initial man gets beat, the rotation to the open man, the switch, THIS i can blame coach for.

"Add, to determine "what position a player should play", it should be determined by "who or what position he can guard" NOT necessarily if he/she can shoot."

sooooooo.....
who guards howard? kobe? durant?
all the elite players that essentially beat themselvs on bad games by forcing it. What about all the complaints about Mike consitently changing the lineup to find something that works? damn, its like this guy cant do anything right.
Im a long time poster here, i honesly read almost everything posted here, i have turned my opinion around because of the knowledgeable fans here to an opinion that a defensive coach is NEEDED (and thats only because i feel we will neve rget a centre with dantoni) BUT, its not fair to put EVERYTHING on coach, just because you want him fired.

Red

TYPE-A
lmao @ u thinking we can play 3-2 zone when we have capable perimeter defenders....unless u meant 2-3 zone....

lmao @ u thinking you know how to teach NBA players to play defense. These are professionals....that host basketball clinics for kids....the beltline? jersey number? lmao....these guys study film and play toward player tendencies as well as just playing off of instinct. Many players (kobe,melo) if you jump a split second too late, its a score.

"That's the simple way of knowing "Who knows how to play defense". When I see a player constantly getting pump faked, or poor timing on shots and blocks, it indicates poor defensive fundamentals, and unfortunately I have to blame coach."

^^
really? the coach is responsible for TEAM defense, and STRATEGY.....not individual defense. The team trainers IMO are more responsible for developing player reaction/timing/and defensive fundimentals.

"Simpley put, in reality a defnder withou the ball should be QUICKER than a player forced to dribble. There is no excuse to be beat around when playing d except for screens and picks."

stupidest thing i ever heard. bruce bowen, shane battier, ron artest and whoever else would get beat off the dribble from john wall or derrick rose if they are all in their jersey. Most players are ambidextrous, so there really is no weak side, just honest d. There is no excuse? Mismatch, faster players, offensive moves aka crossover/spin etc. Its about developing a strategy AFTER the initial man gets beat, the rotation to the open man, the switch, THIS i can blame coach for.

"Add, to determine "what position a player should play", it should be determined by "who or what position he can guard" NOT necessarily if he/she can shoot."

sooooooo.....
all the elite players that essentially beat themselvs on bad games by forcing it. What about all the complaints about Mike consitently changing the lineup to find something that works? damn, its like this guy cant do anything right.
Im a long time poster here, i honesly read almost everything posted here, i have turned my opinion around because of the knowledgeable fans here to an opinion that a defensive coach is NEEDED (and thats only because i feel we will neve rget a centre with dantoni) BUT, its not fair to put EVERYTHING on coach, just because you want him fired.

Lol at you thinking WE DON'T PLAY A 1-3-1 ZONE or 3-2, because that's exatly what we play. Wake up.

+ Laugh out loud at you thinking a player who (is obligated to participate) in youth camps equates to know how.

I'm really crying so hard at your attempt to diminish the fundamentals of the game and assuming because a player is in the NBA he must know the fundamentals of defense.

And your rep looks shakey when you make statements about needing a center to emplore a zone, when usage of the zone is based on being undersized.

You must have not noticed the Mozgovs and Nash's of the world. Stop kidding yourself and trying so hard to embarrass yourself by making these poor assumptions and directing your comments towards me based on your inability to analyze.

My G, MY EXPERIENCE speaks for itself. I've played with real NBA players, coaches and college athletes. For your info, you'd be surprised how little fundamentals some actually have. Grow 6'5+, run and jump and you have a chance in the league. Don't know how to rely on fundamentals

And you look like another over paid, over hyped David Lee getting abused ala your weak a$$ reply. Good try, but far frm good enough. Be gone.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A

^^

sooooooo.....

Opps I forgot to address the rest of your bullsh*t.

So who guards Kobe etc...
The f*ck are you talking about? Huh? If you are referring to my post regarding "how to determine what a position a player should play" it had to do with realizing using a players offensive skill set vs their defensive abilities.

Coach plays based on offense when if he considered a players defensive ability he would notice how his choice really affects matchups.

And really, you need to stop reading KOL and do your research, then get back to us. Your in the MINORITY pal.

Were you underthe impression a coaches skills can't be analyzed over several years. That's dumb of you.

I bet you think we can only evaluate a coaches skills when he has certain players, not realizing his/her evaluation is independent of their roster.

Keep reading, but make better choices on your material.

And that line about putting everything on coach, cut the emotional drama out yo! No one is putting everything on him, but knowledge and deductive reasoning along with analitics dictates the weaknesses we crave to be rid of is most affected by him or a posible replacement.

Btw anytime you feel the need to question me or my analysis, just ask me to show you what I mean, I'll find a video as an example, and link you. But don't embarras yurself by making stttements that illustrate your predisposition for MDA while illuminating your lack of bb knowledge.