Looks Like Paul Is Going To Boston

mafra

Legend
Celtics still pushing hard to land Chris Paul

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

As the Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State Warriors appear unwilling to include their young stars in a trade for Chris Paul, the New Orleans Hornets were redoubling their research of Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo as a possible centerpiece of a blockbuster deal, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Celtics have relentlessly pursued Paul and have presented the Hornets with as many as eight different scenarios that would bring them some combination of Rondo, Jeff Green, two future No. 1 picks and additional talent from third teams, sources said.

Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers believe they can sell Paul on re-signing with Boston for the long-term and desperately want him as the franchise star of their post-Big 3 era.

“Danny is a risk-taker,” one league official involved in the talks said. “He’s willing to gamble on Paul, because he believes you win championships with stars, and he’s going to get another one to rebuild his team around.”

The Hornets had been hopeful they could choose between Clippers and Warriors packages that included Eric Gordon and Stephen Curry, respectively, but New Orleans GM Dell Demps has been told those players are off limits. This has brought the Hornets back to Rondo and the Celtics’ offer, which, as currently constituted, could be the most attractive to the Hornets.

The Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers are intriguing to Paul, who has ultimately championed a free-agent deal with the New York Knicks. Nevertheless, Ainge and Rivers believe they can convince Paul to stay with the Celtics beyond this season. That’s why Ainge has been so relentless on the phones, trying to secure the players beyond Rondo and Green that New Orleans would want for Paul.

The Celtics had discussions with the Indiana Pacers about the framework of a deal that could’ve sent Paul to the Celtics, Rondo to Indiana and a package, including former Hornet Darren Collison, Tyler Hansbrough, Brandon Rush and draft picks, to New Orleans, sources said.

New Orleans would have keener interest in small forwards Danny Granger or Paul George, but Pacers president Larry Bird has declared those players “untouchable” in trade talks, sources said.

Boston has gone to multiple teams in recent days trying to assemble a deal, but ultimately needs direction from the Hornets about what specific trades appeal to them. “New Orleans just won’t commit to a package,” one league source said. In the meantime, Boston has tried to juggle the potential involvement of third teams while the Hornets continue to deliberate their potential deals.

The background calls on Rondo cover the usual territory with him: his relationship with coaches, teammates and stubborn disposition, sources said. The Hornets hadn’t had the most favorable impression of Rondo, clearly preferring packages with Curry and Gordon over him. As the Hornets realize teams are growing more hesitant to give up assets out of fear Paul will be simply a four-month rental, they’ve come to realize that Boston’s offer could be the best on the table.

It appears unlikely the Clippers and Warriors will change course on including Gordon and Curry in a deal. In fact, Clippers management reached out to Gordon in recent days with a personal assurance that he wouldn’t be included in any trade packages to New Orleans, a league source told Y! Sports.

The Hornets have only six players under contract, and had hoped they could find a trade for Paul – who has told them he will leave as a free agent after the season – before the start of Friday’s training camp. That scenario looks less likely, because, as one executive in the talks said Thursday, “They’re bringing in more teams, more scenarios, when we thought they wanted to narrow it down.”

The Lakers are still lurking for Paul, sources said. A possible deal with the Lakers would likely focus on Andrew Bynum. Paul and Kobe Bryant have talked by phone in the past week, sources said.

Golden State is willing to offer guard Monta Ellis and young forward Ekpe Udoh as part of a package for Paul, but the talks are unlikely to progress if the Warriors continue to refuse to part with Curry. Golden State’s new owners are fond of Curry, see him as a future face of the franchise and the prospects of moving forward without Curry or Paul after a 66-game regular season is too frightening for the franchise to face.

The Warriors are still courting free agent Tyson Chandler, and appear to be finalists with the New Jersey Nets for the center. No one will count out the Dallas Mavericks from making a late push to retain Chandler, but Paul has indicated the addition of Chandler to the Warriors’ or the Clippers’ roster could play a part in Paul deciding to stay with either of those teams beyond this season.

mafra

Legend
"The Celtics have relentlessly pursued Paul and have presented the Hornets with as many as eight different scenarios that would bring them some combination of Rondo, Jeff Green, two future No. 1 picks and additional talent from third teams, sources said."

Look, if BOS is offering this package to RENT Chris Paul, then NY is sh^! out of luck. Simple as that really.

Why would BOS do this? WHY NOT.

They see the writing on the wall, folks. If they don't act quickly, don't do something bold, then they can kiss the next 6-8 years GOODBYE. NY, their chief rival, will end up with Paul and they'll have to endure another lost decade akin to the 90s.

Ainge is going to do anything & everything to prevent that. Not to mention his big-3 have a window of like 1 year. KG-ALLEN-PP are aging fast. Dusk is setting. You don't build around Rondo.

Rondo & Jeff Green are certainly expendable. GONE. Even just to rent Paul. At worst, they hope to raise one more banner before they shut out the lights in BOS. At best, they convince Paul to stay on and compete with the aging big-3, with Rivers, with the hope to attrack Howard or something.

SURE... this could end up helping NY. BOS would be buried if they roll the dice here, make this trade, and then Paul leaves next July and signs with us anyway. BUT, really... If Paul ends up in NY... What's Rondo-Green going to do to stop us, or MIA, anyway. Right?

At least, if they win it all this year... The trade is worth it.

Finally, LAK might be driven to trade Bynum to rent Paul too. Trying to block BOS. And if LAC or GSW sign Tyson Chandler, and Paul agrees to an extension... Then those teams will make a deal too.

Basically, it's not looking good for Paul to NY this year (and looking bleak that he comes at all ever).

mafra

Legend
What happened to sending CP3 to a small market team? SMH

Simple really. Stern wont do something out of spite to hurt NO. If LAC & GSW refuse to give up assets to rent Paul, he's not going to force the issue.

Lakers v Celtics Finals is a ratings boom. Plus he still gets to force Paul to make a decision: Get what you want, leave BOS as a free agent and lose money or accept the fate NO decided for you, and resign in BOS.

Not to mention, with MIA & NY & CHI, BOS is doomed after this season anyway. Giving them Paul just keeps another big market in the mix for the next few years.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Simple really. Stern wont do something out of spite to hurt NO. If LAC & GSW refuse to give up assets to rent Paul, he's not going to force the issue.

Lakers v Celtics Finals is a ratings boom. Plus he still gets to force Paul to make a decision: Get what you want, leave BOS as a free agent and lose money or accept the fate NO decided for you, and resign in BOS.

Not to mention, with MIA & NY & CHI, BOS is doomed after this season anyway. Giving them Paul just keeps another big market in the mix for the next few years.

Dude you were just saying yesterday how Stern wouldn't send Paul to a big market team lol

mafra

Legend
Dude you were just saying yesterday how Stern wouldn't send Paul to a big market team lol

Well obviously things change.

For example, like I wrote above... If small market teams wont trade a player worthy for Paul a big market team gives NO a valuable package... Then OF COURSE Stern wont screw NO.

I guarantee you... If GSW offers Curry, or LAC offer Gordon, Stern would send Paul there over BOS. BUt Stern wont do that to NO, just to prove a point. Besides, sending Paul to BOS still forces him to leave money on the table if he leaves for NY.

BOS-NO already agreed on a trade, but Paul said he wouldn't extend so BOS pulled out. Ergo, that's when I wrote that Stern wants to send a message here, and deal Paul to a small market... BUt that's only valid if all things are equal. Obviously, he wont trade Paul for Kamen & Amini when he can get Rondo + Green + more.

Why am I even bothering to explain myself to you?

So, either stay on point & contribute to the conversation, or go to your room and utter: "Nah-nah-nahnha-Nah" to yourself.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The point of all this is we should forget about CP3 for now. He won't be a Knick in the 2011-12 season. Nothing has changed! He either comes here as a FA or he doesn't come here.

Its really not that complicated.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Well obviously things change.

For example, like I wrote above... If small market teams wont trade a player worthy for Paul a big market team gives NO a valuable package... Then OF COURSE Stern wont screw NO.

I guarantee you... If GSW offers Curry, or LAC offer Gordon, Stern would send Paul there over BOS. BUt Stern wont do that to NO, just to prove a point. Besides, sending Paul to BOS still forces him to leave money on the table if he leaves for NY.

BOS-NO already agreed on a trade, but Paul said he wouldn't extend so BOS pulled out. Ergo, that's when I wrote that Stern wants to send a message here, and deal Paul to a small market... BUt that's only valid if all things are equal. Obviously, he wont trade Paul for Kamen & Amini when he can get Rondo + Green + more.

Why am I even bothering to explain myself to you?

So, either stay on point & contribute to the conversation, or go to your room and utter: "Nah-nah-nahnha-Nah" to yourself.

I did contribute. I pointed out how posters, like yourself, who sound like they have it all figured one day can look a lil silly as things develop and change the next.

This is all hinges on Paul's desire to play for any of these teams.

He's being diplomatic in the media, but behind closed doors he's vetoing these trades by saying he won't resign.

Paul is in the drivers seat Mafra. Stern knows it. Demps knows it. Logical posters on the forum know it.

These guys that keeping spouting off about how all these teams have better packages still don't get two things:

1. It's all about where he wants to play.

2. No team is going to rent him while giving up valuable assets.

These are the biggest factors in this whole situation.

mafra

Legend
I did contribute. I pointed out how posters, like yourself, who sound like they have it all figured one day can look a lil silly as things develop and change the next.

He's being diplomatic in the media, but behind closed doors he's vetoing these trades by saying he won't resign.

Paul is in the drivers seat Mafra. Stern knows it. Demps knows it. Logical posters on the forum know it.

These guys that keeping spouting off about how all these teams have better packages still don't get two things:

No freaking D'uh dude. BUt, like the entire point of this thread... IT APPEARS BOSTON IS WILLING (and desperate enough) to rent Chris Paul for this season. So, Paul's desire matters not in this case. If BOS decides to deal Rondo-Green + more... Paul will be playing in BOS. Sure, Paul doesn't have to resign if he doesn't want to...

And, as to looking foolish:

1) Predictions are obviously contrigent on many factos, and most often you're wrong. Guessing right 60% of the time qualifies as being an expert.

2) How as I wrong? The first 2 teams NO (led by Stern) went to are teams like Golden State & Clippers. What can Stern do if those teams refuse to part with anything valuable enough to convince NO that it's worth turning down a better offer from elsewhere?

But, as is your MO on these boards... You constantly name-call with your passive-agressive nanny-esque style of verbal banter. Most words you type have nothing to do with basketball, or the topic, but are just nonsensical dribbling that attack a poster's OPINION (which should never be construed as fact in the first place).

LOGICAL posters should be aware that NO has already agreed to send Paul to BOS. Celtics backed out b/c of fact Paul said NO to resigning. But ainge is desperate enough that he might to the deal anyway. IF he decides to do it, then Knicks are playing against Paul this season, as he wears Celtic green.

And, I may stillbe vindicated. If Tyson Chandler signs with the Warriors, they may still pull off a trade for PAUL.

nyk_nyk

All Star
It's all about where he wants to play.

This is basically it right here. Some teams may be willing to take a gamble but either way he will end up playing for who HE wants to play for. We can't compete with any other team in terms of tradeable assets but we do have one valuable asset that no one else has... MELO. Paul's basketball BFF.

mafra

Legend
This is basically it right here. Some teams may be willing to take a gamble but either way he will end up playing for who HE wants to play for. We can't compete with any other team in terms of tradeable assets but we do have one valuable asset that no one else has... MELO. Paul's basketball BFF.

EXACTLY. Ultimately, where Paul plays in 2012-2013 is totally up to him. It's just that the team he's on come dec 31st can offer him about 20-25 million more than a team who'll grab him in free agency. Well, if that team eventually agrees to a sign-&-trade, then I believe it's only about 10-15 mil less.

Will Paul turn down 10-15 million? Maybe. I hope so. I want him in NY (even though I prefer Dwigh Howard).

mafra

Legend

Interesting. New Orleans works out a pretty good deal. Team might have been better (Okafor, Scola, Martin, Ariza w/ Odom as 6th man, plus getting NYK's 1st rounder - given away in the Hill-Jeffries deal)... And STERN steps in and squahes deal?

I wonder why he did that?

Was it because he doesn't want a small market losing player to a big market?

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
Interesting. New Orleans works out a pretty good deal. Team might have been better (Okafor, Scola, Martin, Ariza w/ Odom as 6th man, plus getting NYK's 1st rounder - given away in the Hill-Jeffries deal)... And STERN steps in and squahes deal?

i dont kno how the Hornets agreed to that deal, it's not good fiancially....

Stat4mvp

Benchwarmer
LA will be pissed if the owners approve a trade to Boston but not LA.

But as said above, it's is all about where Paul wants to play, and I would nothing more than for him to get traded to Boston and then leave for New York in the summer leaving the celtics in shambles.

But in all honesty, with all this controversy, the league owned hornets should just sit on Paul. Let him finish his contract and do whatever after the season, training camp hasn't even started and there is a circus already. Yea NO will get nothing if they sit on CP3 but thats the price they should pay for declaring bankruptcy. honor the contract they signed with Paul and avoid the circus and conspiracy theories.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

Or maybe because the owners didn't want it to happen.

I think stern could care less.

Let it go mafra I don't feel like arguing.

mafra

Legend
Or maybe because the owners didn't want it to happen.

I think stern could care less.

Let it go mafra I don't feel like arguing.

"Dude you were just saying yesterday how Stern wouldn't send Paul to a big market team lol"

"I pointed out how posters, like yourself, who sound like they have it all figured one day can look a lil silly as things develop and change the next."

^^^^^^

Those are all your words. Of course you want to bury last night's happenings under the rug, b/c it's just another example of how you ultimately end up being the one looking foolish.

You chuck out a girly "LOL" (of course all in jest, right, devoid of even a tinge of prickiness).

Then go on to lump me in with a bunch of phantom posters who go around spouting out nonsense & changing our minds on a whim.

In other words, as is your MO... You just like to prick people and call people names. Rarely do you stick to basketball. You throw out homer remarks all the time. Your posts are far from profound. I'm sick of it quite frankly.

AND NOW that you're the one proved to look foolish, you withdraw to the thin ice of semantics. OH, well "David Stern didn't want to do it, owners did."

BLAH BLAH.

NOw who is the one who 'sounds like they have it all figured one day and looks a lil silly as things develop and change the next?

You never let anything go. All you seek to do is argue. You take everything personal. You act like another posters opinion is personal, and treat opinions as if these are statements of facts.

But I'm done doing this with you. This is like the tenth time. Be a man. Admit I was right. You were wrong (once again).

I never said that David Stern has a personal gripe w/ big markets, or hates the Knicks, Lakers & other big market teams. I never said this was a case of Stern wanting to make sure Paul didn't get what he wanted.

I even added that he would be objective here. I'm sure he was fine with the deal. It's a great deal.

But like I stated in another thread, the one you called me out on, that as COMMISH and acting in cocnert with the hardline small market owners (probably all 5 of the ones who voted against CBA ratification called Stern), that DS would be in a position where he would be forced to prevent Paul from being dealt to a big market team.

NOw that you look like a fool for laughing at me for having the notion, now you want to say well... Stern's mindset & reasoning for doing it are this, not that?

Please. Sure, I'll drop it. You like to drop things when your wrong. I'll stop it if you promise to stop pestering me every time I post soemthing you don't agree with. Understand... your opinion carries no weight with me.

This will be my final response to you. When you argue with a fool, someone looking on from a distance might not be able to tell the difference.

Enjoy the Knicks. We're finally worth watching. Let's root for a title. Have a good life. Merry Christmas. Happy New Year.

mafra

Legend
Cavs owner "Comic" Dan Gilbert sent a hilarious email to David Stern requesting he stop the Chris Paul trade, asking if Stern would "just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals."

We had to read it once, then twice, then a few more times before we stopped laughing and/or shaking our head in disgust. Not only was the trade for Paul fair, it was by far the best deal the Hornets could have gotten. The people of New Orleans, struggling to keep their team, were essentially overlooked by a group of owners with designs on showing players who is boss. After LeBron James orchestrated the biggest PR disaster we've seen in years, only a herculean effort could have made him look like a saint. Dan Gilbert everybody.

(According to Rotoworld)

Next time I'll try to explain myself in greater detail. Still, I had a feeling Stern - yes, it was ultimately his decision to squash the deal regardless of why he did it - would pull some stunt. NBA being compared to something between NASCAR & WWE.

NOW NO, b/c Gilbert was a tool (and probably a criminal running his countrywide financial company) the Hornets have to suffer the next 3-5 years?

Funny, Gilbert is turning the Generals into the Wash Generals by killing this deal.

I like the line how DG is now exposed, and Lebron should emerge from this looknig good again.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Dan Gilbert is still stewing over losing James and sending his franchise into obscurity! Gilbert is directing his anger at the wrong people, he should be angry at himself and his front office for letting James walk away for nothing! But to throw a hissy fit because LA was able to work a deal to land Paul and the Hornets were smart enough to protect the franchise, just makes Gilbert look like a wining baby and not very professional. Nothing is stopping Gilbert from going out and using his picks and young guys to try to land a replacement star. He has cap room now, so Danny boy go out and over pay for a player like the rest of us do! Get your franchise back on track and stay out of other teams business; if they beat you to the punch then address your deficiencies within in order to stay competitive and informed on the state of the players.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
"Dude you were just saying yesterday how Stern wouldn't send Paul to a big market team lol"

"I pointed out how posters, like yourself, who sound like they have it all figured one day can look a lil silly as things develop and change the next."

^^^^^^

Those are all your words. Of course you want to bury last night's happenings under the rug, b/c it's just another example of how you ultimately end up being the one looking foolish.

You chuck out a girly "LOL" (of course all in jest, right, devoid of even a tinge of prickiness).

Then go on to lump me in with a bunch of phantom posters who go around spouting out nonsense & changing our minds on a whim.

In other words, as is your MO... You just like to prick people and call people names. Rarely do you stick to basketball. You throw out homer remarks all the time. Your posts are far from profound. I'm sick of it quite frankly.

AND NOW that you're the one proved to look foolish, you withdraw to the thin ice of semantics. OH, well "David Stern didn't want to do it, owners did."

BLAH BLAH.

NOw who is the one who 'sounds like they have it all figured one day and looks a lil silly as things develop and change the next?

You never let anything go. All you seek to do is argue. You take everything personal. You act like another posters opinion is personal, and treat opinions as if these are statements of facts.

But I'm done doing this with you. This is like the tenth time. Be a man. Admit I was right. You were wrong (once again).

I never said that David Stern has a personal gripe w/ big markets, or hates the Knicks, Lakers & other big market teams. I never said this was a case of Stern wanting to make sure Paul didn't get what he wanted.

I even added that he would be objective here. I'm sure he was fine with the deal. It's a great deal.

But like I stated in another thread, the one you called me out on, that as COMMISH and acting in cocnert with the hardline small market owners (probably all 5 of the ones who voted against CBA ratification called Stern), that DS would be in a position where he would be forced to prevent Paul from being dealt to a big market team.

NOw that you look like a fool for laughing at me for having the notion, now you want to say well... Stern's mindset & reasoning for doing it are this, not that?

Please. Sure, I'll drop it. You like to drop things when your wrong. I'll stop it if you promise to stop pestering me every time I post soemthing you don't agree with. Understand... your opinion carries no weight with me.

This will be my final response to you. When you argue with a fool, someone looking on from a distance might not be able to tell the difference.

Enjoy the Knicks. We're finally worth watching. Let's root for a title. Have a good life. Merry Christmas. Happy New Year.

You sound like you need a hug and a tissue. You want to cry a little more??

I wasn't wrong dude. This whole thread is wrong, from the title to much of the nonsense you've posted.

I wanted to stop talking about this cause we're just going around in circles at this point and nothing productive is being said. But if you want to keep going I'll be happy to take the gloves off.

Listen, Stern doesn't care where these players go. I think he'd prefer dominant teams in big markets for obvious reasons. We've seen this before, nothing new.

It's the owners who've called foul here. Not Stern. You said Stern would send him to a small market team. As it stood yesterday you we're wrong. Chris Paul was on his way to the Lakers. Then, on the strong objection of many small market owners, Stern squashed the deal, which I'm not even sure is legal.

Stern almost got away w that deal for NO. The NBA owns the the Hornets right??

They pulled the reigns on a deal they themselves were about to get away with lol! Kind of ridiculous when you think about it.. But that's todays NBA.

Demps is just a puppet in my eyes.

So you were wrong on two counts.

One - about him going to a small market team.. and

Two - on your erroneous assessment of where Stern actually stands on deals of this nature.. and

Now you're all butt hurt

Apply some Desitin and stop crying to me Mafra..

And what am I constantly wrong about?? I don't make very many predictions. When i do I tend to be right a decent portion of the time. When I'm wrong I can admit it.. unlike some people.

And I don't name call. I didn't call one name in any of my posts to you. Do you know what name calling is??

I did assess you're current posting and the way you sound as if you're so sure of things at a time when it's obvious how difficult it is to tell what will happen.

If I hurt you're feelings/ego I apologize.

If my tone rubs you the wrong way I don't what to tell you..

Post better maybe

Last edited: