How many of you are upset that Chris Paul didn't go to the Lakers?

knicksin60

Starter
David Stern and the NBA just to a major hit to their reputation by not allowing the Chris Paul trade to go through. As basketball fans are you disappointed that the integrity of the NBA has diminished due to David Stern blocking this trade?

quiggle

Starter
oh please Knicks fans stop being hyporcrites, NBA rigged the 1985 draft to benefit us and screw Indiana so dont lash out on the NBA for getting in the busy of this. but the good thing about CP and D12 not going to LA is that we wont have to wake up to seeing illegal immigrant Hispanic gangstas burning cars down in south side LA if the Lakers won the titles for years to come.

knicksin60

Starter
oh please Knicks fans stop being hyporcrites, NBA rigged the 1985 draft to benefit us and screw Indiana so dont lash out on the NBA for getting in the busy of this. but the good thing about CP and D12 not going to LA is that we wont have to wake up to seeing illegal immigrant Hispanic gangstas burning cars down in south side LA if the Lakers won the titles for years to come.

Your Miami Heat would have been no match to the Lakers had Los Angeles acquired Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.

knicksin60

Starter
He's no longer on our radar so I could care less where he plays. I do believe that stopping the trade from happening is a bad look for the NBA. The owners having a shared interest in an NBA team is bad enough.

I wonder if James Dolan was one of the owners that protested the CP3 to LA deal

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
It bothers me quite a bit, actually. As much as I have always kind of despised Adrian Wojnarowski for his self-righteous, phony dramatic flare, I think he hit the nail on the head with regards to David Stern. The guy is an Emporer and his arbitrary, biased decisions over the years are what has hurt the league more than anything else.

And btw, I hate ****ing Lakers

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
On the flip side, I think it's very debatable how much better that trade really makes the Lakers. I think you could actually argue that it would have made them worse

quiggle

Starter
stop hating the Lakers, especially with the jealousy that they are smartly run and dont throw entire rosters away for one player prematurely just to raise ticket prices. just shows the respect the rest of league has and the fear. now thats mamba for you.

LeFlume

All Star
Yeah I'm upset. After all this is America. He is stopping someone from making money because Dan Gilbert is a crybaby. :boohoo:

David Stern should step down.

fender0577

Rotation player
I thought it was a great trade for all parties, what was the problem?And it was more than just dan gilbert crying that stopped this thing.I think we should be patient and see what's really going on.

Not at all, they had every right to make that decision, regardless of whether or not it was a good one, because they own the Hornets,

In my view it was a good trade but, again, for the Hornets, they should have the final say.

la2ny

Starter
I'll just copy & paste this from another forum, but It's ridiculous how this went down:

The owners didn't vote for this, enough complained (see Dan Gilbert),but, this was Sterns' decision. The league said last year they were just taking care of the Hornets financially while they put a caretaker in place and Demps could handle roster moves, basically now they are going back on that and are putting 3 franchises in flux. This isn't just the Hornets, this basically is saying because the league has to review EVERY trade then how can any star go anywhere anymore via trade? If Stern can override it then who's to say he can't say Dwight must stay in Orlando? Or New Jersey can't acquire him because of "basketball reasons?"

And wtf does "basketball reasons" mean? You telling me the league couldn't come up with a better excuse? Come on man. The deal to get Pau to the Lakers if anything was highway robbery at the time, this time the Lakers actually made a fair deal that has potential great and bad benefits. And if this was going to be a problem, why didn't anyone say anything to the Hornets before hand? Why wait till the damn deal was done? Obviously you can't send him to Boston now because of "basketball reasons", Knicks either, Clippers too(LA also remember), GS not giving up Curry and they lost out on Chandler, so what now?

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
How many people are upset that the Nets are gonna have Dwight Howard and Deron Williams and will officially start their coup of New York City?

la2ny

Starter
Stern:

`The decision was taken that Chris Paul in New Orleans was more valuable than the trade that was being discussed,David Stern tells Bloomberg

As for other trades, Stern says ``I?ll leave that to the team as the discussion goes on.??

Stern: ``I don?t want to speak on the basketball side, but that particular one was weighed against Chris Paul?s continued presence in NO.??

also:

RT @Mike_Bresnahan Lakers can?t appeal to NBA office about Paul trade block b/c league considers deal to have been nixed by N.O., not NBA.

LMFAO, and there you have it

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
am I the only one who doesn't mind that Stern vetoed the CP3 deal, not on the basketball side, but on the financial side? Luis Scola is owed 38 million for the next 4 years, Emerak Okafor is owed 39 million for the next 3 and Kevin Martin is owed 24 million for the next 2. All I heard is how New Orleans is bankrupt.

I dont care if "oh they got 4 starters and a draft pick". They have no star, no guy who sells tickets and they're broke, they would have taken on more salary burden. I'm shocked that all of ESPN is panning this veto by Stern, it's not a good deal financially. Scola and Kevin Martin don't sell tickets.

finestrg

Rotation player
To be honest, I was kinda relieved when I thought the CP3 deal to LA was done. I didn't want Amar'e going anywhere, even for Paul. Then to hear that he was rejected by NO. I mean **** them man, seriously. They would've been lucky to get STAT back in a deal..This guy was the league MVP 3/4 of the season last yr...F New Orleans -- they could lose CP3 to free agency for NADA now for all I give a shit..

Unless Grunwald ever trades him, Amar'e's my man here now, sink or swim. This is and will always be his team. He's the one who came here and turned it around. People wanna say we were the only ones willing to shell out the money for him, OK whatever man...This guy came in in great shape (as always) and embraced the city and everything that came with playing here -- the responsibility, the leadership..EVERYTHING! It gets built around him now as far as I'm concerned. I want Amar'e to win a chip here now. Just how I feel.

And just for the record, if given a choice, I'd rather role with Amar'e, Melo and Tyson than Melo, CP3 and Tyson, but that's just me.

-----------------------------------

Just trying to digest everything that's gone on here the last 24 hrs. My head is still spinning. LOL. A couple of questions:

1) Looks like Chandler's gonna be a Knick within the next day or two. I don't wanna be a buzz-kill, believe me, but I just can't see giving this guy $60M over 4 yrs. I mean, if we're really gonna amnesty Billups (which I don't even know is the right move -- like some, I have a big problem amnestying an expiring contract -- here's hoping they can work out a deal for Chauncey instead), does Ty Chandler really feel like a $15M dollar a year player to you? He doesn't to me...Believe me, I know exactly what he provides -- experience, legit C size, some rebounding, a little shot-blocking. And most of all, certainly above his career number WHICH AREN'T GREAT, just his presence alone will make a difference for us. I get all that. Still, if we're gonna jettison Billups and free up his money, I just feel in my gut there are better ways to spend $60M bucks...Looks like he's coming and when the time comes, I'll warm up to it but for some reason I just can't swallow it totally right now. Awful lot of money to give this dude, man. I mean what if Dallas doesn't win the championship last year? What if they fell short? Does this guy get $60M now? Does JJ Barea get payed what he'll wind up getting paid, which I'm sure will be inflated? Certain Dallas players are really gonna milk this one championship boy, all the way to the bank..

2) Someone please explain to me how the amnesty process really works. I'm just thinking about a guy like Baron Davis for a sec. Looks like he wants to come and I'll take him, but I don't think it's as easy as that. Keep reading we're targeting him, but doesn't he have to clear waivers or something first before we get a crack at him? I know there's something here, I just don't know what exactly. Something to do with non-tax teams being given first crack at amnesty players or something?? Please someone fill in the blanks here for me...Sounds like Dan Gilbert might keep him anyway --- reading this morning that Clev. may want to keep him and use him as trade bait later on in the season. Report saying Gilbert has a hard time paying a bulk of his salary only to see him help another team..I can definitely see that. The report also mentioned that Gilbert doesn't want Miami getting their hands on Davis under any circumstances. He doesn't want to help LeBron win anything..I can understand that too. How would he feel about us getting him and assembling a team to beat LeBron though? I mean would he care if we got Davis?? Big question though: would Miami have a shot at his services ahead of us? How does this process work exactly? I know if a guy is amnestied, there's a process. Some teams get first crack. What teams are those? Anyone know? I mean I'm not even gonna put the time and energy into getting excited about adding Davis if we don't have a realistic shot at him..All I know is we better have a plan in place for a legit PG if and when we unload Billups...People wanna say Tyson Chandler has championship experience -- yeah, well so did Billups and he drove the bus. He's the floor general, not Chandler. It's a little different.

3) As of right now, what are the most realistic destinations for Turiaf in a trade? I'm hearing he has to go along with Billups in order to make room for Chandler. Is that right? I'm hearing he's going to Denver, maybe for Andre Miller. What's the latest on this?

4) What's the latest on the backup 3 situation? Rumor has it that Grant's going back to PHX -- 1 yr, $6.5M. I thought he was coming? LOL. Are we prepared to move on Shawne Williams now for more than the $980,000 we supposedly had on the table yesterday?

5) Hearing a rumor that even if we ink up Chandler, we still may be able to get Paul as long as he rides out the season in NO and becomes a FA. Supposedly, there are some rules in the new CBA saying that (a) players can renegotiate (lower) their contracts a certain amount in order to make room for another player(s) and (b) that there's even more flexibility with money being sent in a trade...I still think it's at $3M max but there's something even more flexibile about it now. This is minor but could help---forgot where I read this..Anyone know the particulars?

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
1) Chandler is the 2nd Best defensive Center in the league he's 29, hes worth his contract

2) After the Cavs use the amnesty on Diddy, he goes to waivers, I doubt teams pick him since everyone under the cap is set at PG so then he's a UFA and free to sign anywhere, he's interested in New York and is a better fit than Billups with O'Antoni as our coach

3) Turiaf could get traded to Denver for a 2nd why? they have to add salary to meet league requirements and dont have many options, he's expiring so it wont hurt and we free up room for TC

4) Grant Hill got offered like 5.5mil more than we offered him I'd take it too, Shawne Williams is still an option but 1 good year is not enough for a multi-year deal

5)If CP3 becomes a FA, STAT, Melo and TC can restructure their deals, well add a year and split the total by the years left and make less money over a longer period freeing room for CP3 if they want him

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
dumb move by the NBA, sure small markets are pissed but get over it it was a fair deal it wasnt all roses for the Lakers; they lost A LOT of size up front and were real slim. so its unfortunate and how will all these people feel if CP3 leaves to L.A via free agency?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
dumb move by the NBA, sure small markets are pissed but get over it it was a fair deal it wasnt all roses for the Lakers; they lost A LOT of size up front and were real slim. so its unfortunate and how will all these people feel if CP3 leaves to L.A via free agency?

Yep. That pretty much sums it it all up nicely.

Stern should have just let the deal go through. If the salaries match then what the hell was the problem.

The owners want to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted a season, but they also want to keep players like Paul from manifesting their destiny.

It's BS. Paul gave NO what 7 yrs, they're still average and now he wants to leave. How can you hate on that?