Spike Lee filming special on the Knicks Triangle offense

Kiyaman

Legend
New York Knicks practicing high school fundamentals

For the first time in years the New York Knicks decided to move their training camp back to West Point with hopes that the team would gel during the bonding experience.
Such won?t be known until the season kicks off though reports out of the New York Knicks? camp suggests the team is doing well. Part of that might be due to the fact head coach Derek Fisher has stripped down the Knicks? offense as he implements the triangle, which includes practicing basic high school fundamentals like the chest pass.

?It?s unbelievable how many small things we?ve been going over,? J. R. Smith said. ?It?s all stuff we?ve heard. It?s just stuff we haven?t done in so long.?

While practicing something as simple as a chest pass may seem rather trivial, it?s clear that Fisher is doing what he can to erase the selfish, ball pounding style of basketball the New York Knicks have played in previous seasons and is focusing more on the basics of the game.

Power forward Amare Stoudemire seems to think the drills are pretty easy though seems more than open to working on the core of the game.

?These fundamentals we?re learning, I feel like I can teach my son them.?

While he?s probably right, most would likely agree that many in the NBA (especially on the Knicks roster) could use a refresher course on the basic skills of basketball which is why Fisher and company have decided to include them during training camp.

Include Spike Lee's "depth of the TRIANGLE" too, being part of Knicks team going thru basic-fundamentals at practice.

The Knicks rookie coach Fish wants a .500 (or above) season from the "fundamentals" of practice ..
making sure the big-men receive chest-passes down-low adds 10 to 20 points to inside scoring.

CoolClyde

there's absolutely nothing wrong with going back to basics, especially with a new coach, 1/2 new squad playing together for first time, and new offensive strategy. i applaud Phil and the Fish for a return to basketball knowledge, including the physical elements that will in turn lead to a mental state of efficiency.

Kiyaman

Legend
there's absolutely nothing wrong with going back to basics, especially with a new coach, 1/2 new squad playing together for first time, and new offensive strategy. i applaud Phil and the Fish for a return to basketball knowledge, including the physical elements that will in turn lead to a mental state of efficiency.

:agreed:
A new head coach showing how everything starts from the basic fundamentals:
A new President = a new head coach = a new style = a change of setting = a new system (Triangle)

Remember this is James Dolan Knicks organization, how much will Dolan let Phil and Fisher change his Knick team?

CoolClyde

:agreed:
A new head coach showing how everything starts from the basic fundamentals:
A new President = a new head coach = a new style = a change of setting = a new system (Triangle)

Remember this is James Dolan Knicks organization, how much will Dolan let Phil and Fisher change his Knick team?

Dolan has no say in how to run the team itself, he let Zeke run rampant with sh*t trades and signings way back when; it's still up in the air if he's going to stick his no-nothing head into negotiations, he said he won't, but that's as far as his meddling has gone in the past; why would he f*ck with Phil and the Fish in their first year? I assume Dolan will be hands off this year, with a "wait and see" attitude towards 11 rings of knowledge.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
my question is this. why don't man NBA teams use the triangle?

Next question is the triangle has been around for a while, teams like the bulls and lakers have won using the triangle and having some of the greatest players in history use this offense.. why is spike all of a sudden making a story of this now? because the knicks are using it?

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Dolan has no say in how to run the team itself, he let Zeke run rampant with sh*t trades and signings way back when; it's still up in the air if he's going to stick his no-nothing head into negotiations, he said he won't, but that's as far as his meddling has gone in the past; why would he f*ck with Phil and the Fish in their first year? I assume Dolan will be hands off this year, with a "wait and see" attitude towards 11 rings of knowledge.

I don't think he is hands off at all... I think he told phil that he had to bring carmelo back at all cost. otherwise phil looks like a fool bringing up the pay cut in the media, and then basically giving carmelo that ridiculous contract along with the no trade clause and trade kicker..

something smells fishy here..

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Include Spike Lee's "depth of the TRIANGLE" too, being part of Knicks team going thru basic-fundamentals at practice.

The Knicks rookie coach Fish wants a .500 (or above) season from the "fundamentals" of practice ..
making sure the big-men receive chest-passes down-low adds 10 to 20 points to inside scoring.

yea if you have hakeem or duncan in the post.. I mean do you really believe that?

and why are we talking fundamentals with a team full of vets 3 of them making GDP of most small countries...

Kiyaman

Legend
my question is this. why don't man NBA teams use the triangle?

Next question is the triangle has been around for a while, teams like the bulls and lakers have won using the triangle and having some of the greatest players in history use this offense.. why is spike all of a sudden making a story of this now? because the knicks are using it?

Good question .. a lot of NBA teams do use the triangle-offense here n there throughout a game, headcoach Kerr used it twice in the 4th quarter to win two preseason games, the Spurs Parker & Ginobli will switch to 3 or 4 different systems in a blink of an eye for a win, and the Heats Big-3 used 5 different systems to make it to the FINALS 4 straight seasons.

The Triangle system Phil Jackson use with the outstanding athleticism of MJ & Pippin had many different styles, and a mix of different types of systems mainly the Princeton offense with all the highlights that came from just one game.
And when Phil added stars Harper & Rodman their creative athleticism gave the triangle 4 stars plus, which made it easy for the Chicago Bulls to win 3 championship rings without breaking a sweat. That was the best exciting TEAM of basketball on offense/defense in the career of the NBA.

The Knicks two 35 mpg players Melo & JRsmith only know one system (just like Marbury) the isolation, one on one, individual offensive system. The kind of system a high school coach use to star his best player throughout a game.
The two veteran players have been a bad influence on rookie THJ last season when THJ found it hard to pass the ball or play defense.

Kiyaman

Legend
Spike Lee gave Knicks-Fans the basic out look of a triangle-offense, which is easy for any college team to learn.
However, what made Phil Jackson Triangle system so worldwide famous was the "TEAM Defensive-effort", plus having a few of the league top 10 defensive players on the roster. Without the outstanding defense Phil wouldn't have won a ring as a coach.

Example: Phil Jax Triangle-defense always had two-players to defend the passing-lane into the paint that lead to a steal and a fastbreak highlight basket .. MJ & Pippin, Kobe & Fox, and Kobe & Odom.
If u notice its the SG & SF GELLIN on defense to stop the passing lane.
Will Phil Jax get that type of defensive-effort from Melo & JRsmith???

Phil was not happy about Spike Lee documentary on the triangle offense. Herer's Phil quote:

Phil Jackson absolved James Dolan for all the dysfunction and losing that has characterized the Knicks for nearly 15 years, claiming that the Garden Chairman was forced to become involved in the day-to-day operations of the club.

"He had to meddle" Jackson said, "because of the (poor) decisions that were made."

Previously, Dolan and the Garden have gone to great lengths to dismiss the notion that Dolan meddles in the basketball operations. Jackson reiterated that Dolan gave him assurances that he'll allow him to run the team.

Jackson was a featured speaker at The New Yorker Festival on Sunday in Manhattan. The moderator, Ben McGrath, asked Jackson questions on a variety of topics from Spike Lee's basketball acumen, coaching Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant to whether he would advise Carmelo Anthony to follow his lead and experiment with LSD.

"No, it's not one of the prerequisites," Jackson joked.

The Knicks president also took a dig at Spike Lee, who is doing a documentary on the triangle offense, the system that Jackson made famous. In explaining that spacing and ball movement are crucial in the triangle, Jackson concluded: "It's not that complicated. It's not rocket science."

When the conversation turned to Lee, the director and famous Knicks supporter, Jackson had the crowd inside the SVA theater on West 23rd laughing when he stated: "Spike is an avid Knicks fan who doesn't know anything about basketball."

Dolan has famously said that he's not a basketball genius. However, Jackson, who is being paid $15 million annually by Dolan to resurrect the Knicks, was kind to his controversial boss.

"He has this tremendous, competitive drive," he said.

Jackson said of Carmelo Anthony "has just touched the surface of his greatness."

He also mentioned returning to the Garden two seasons ago to honor the Knicks 1973 Championship team.

"Hopefully we won't have to wait many more years before we have another celebration here," he said.

tiger0330

Legend
Who saw this and what did you think? My main take from it was PJ picked a good head coach, DFish looks like a seasoned head coach and not a rookie teaching the triangle to the Knicks. Seems pretty comfortable in the games as well, its early but I think he's going to excel as a coach.