Bucks & Detroit Trade...Hoopshype

Broadway

All Star
Via Wojo Twitter/Yahoo

Illyasova for Butler and Shawne Williams. Bucks just freed up some cap...

Bucks a team that will be difficult to deal with next year if they sign any decent free agent.... along with Jabari and a mid first round pick coming next yr.

tiger0330

Legend
Well I guess you can pencil in Greg Monroe's name as the starting PF/C for the Knicks now.

The Bucks traded him for nothing but it's a good move by the Bucks, not so much for the Pistons Monroe is better than Ilyasova.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Well I guess you can pencil in Greg Monroe's name as the starting PF/C for the Knicks now.

Good move by the Bucks, not so much for the Pistons Monroe is better than Ilyasova.

Detroit now has leverage to drive his price up to ensure whoever signs him pays the full max. Detroit also has essentially the same chance to land a stud as we do in the draft.

Illaysova=$7-8mil

Monroe=$16-17mil

Give me the cheaper guy. SVG is about to turn Illyasova into peak Hedo(maybe better). If we sign Monroe we might get Derrick Coleman(not a bad player at all just doesn't move the needle enough at that price tag)

tiger0330

Legend
This also may affect the Knicks pick in the draft. If the Knicks have Monroe as their top FA why draft a big, it'll be interesting if Okafor is there at 4 with Monroe seemingly out of Detroit and available to the Knicks.

If it was me I would still get Okafor and pick up a wing or PG in FA. Sorry Greg.

Broadway

All Star
This also may affect the Knicks pick in the draft. If the Knicks have Monroe as their top FA why draft a big, it'll be interesting if Okafor is there at 4 with Monroe seemingly out of Detroit and available to the Knicks.

If it was me I would still get Okafor and pick up a wing or PG in FA. Sorry Greg.

lol #SorryGreg

Detroit now has leverage to drive his price up to ensure whoever signs him pays the full max. Detroit also has essentially the same chance to land a stud as we do in the draft.

Illaysova=$7-8mil

Monroe=$16-17mil

Give me the cheaper guy. SVG is about to turn Illyasova into peak Hedo(maybe better). If we sign Monroe we might get Derrick Coleman(not a bad player at all just doesn't move the needle enough at that price tag)

7 to 8 million for a guy who played a little more than 20 minutes per game last year and averaged 11 points and 5 boards.

16 to 17 million for a guy who played a little more than 30 minutes per game last year and averaged 15 points and 10 boards.

Both are overpaid. At least Monroe is 3 years younger and has a little more room to grow, but man, the PF market is so deep most years with plenty of more productive veterans available that you'd like to think that you could do better than either of those value propositions.

CoolClyde

I still like Monroe. bear in mind he was playing second fiddle to Andre Drummond, who assumed center duties, relegating Monroe to PF/C. I think Monroe being a full-time center will bring out his potential to score more, rebound more and block more shots. hopefully Knicks won't have to pay max, and won't if another team will #SorryGreg

mafra

Legend
I still like Monroe. bear in mind he was playing second fiddle to Andre Drummond, who assumed center duties, relegating Monroe to PF/C. I think Monroe being a full-time center will bring out his potential to score more, rebound more and block more shots. hopefully Knicks won't have to pay max, and won't if another team will #SorryGreg

I think Greg Monroe is the perfect fit; the exact type of player we need to target - a young guy entering his prime. With that said, I won' break the bank... actually, I only reel him in if it's on my terms.

Either he gambles on himself, signs a 1-yr deal.. To prove he's max worthy, and then next year when he cap increases significantly... and we have Bird Rights (to go over cap t sign our own), he'll get 18-20 mil per ...OR... If he covets security, he accepts a reasonable deal in the 10-12 mil range per year, with player option/opt out.

Monroe is a nice piece but he's not a difference maker. He needs to be 1 of 3 free agent hauls this summer, if the Knicks are both shrewd & serious about winning.

Show Greg the blueprint. The high draft pick, 3 integral free agents this year, complimented by 2 more next year. Rounded out with our kids, Melo & the MLEs.

If he just wants to be paid... Let him get a near max deal elsewhere. Between this summer & next, Knicks need to convince 2 difference makers and 2 rotation players to play at MSG.

Broadway

All Star
7 to 8 million for a guy who played a little more than 20 minutes per game last year and averaged 11 points and 5 boards.

16 to 17 million for a guy who played a little more than 30 minutes per game last year and averaged 15 points and 10 boards.

Both are overpaid. At least Monroe is 3 years younger and has a little more room to grow, but man, the PF market is so deep most years with plenty of more productive veterans available that you'd like to think that you could do better than either of those value propositions.

Very true, but we're essentially in the market to sign Monroe because "OUR OPTIONS ARE LIMITED" not because "WE SHOULD" or because "HE'S EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED"

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It would be ironic if the Bucks pursue him in FA. He'd be an upgrade to Pachulia and that team might appeal to him more than the Knicks.

That's the thing about NY, there are dozens of reasons not to come to NY and only one reason to come, to get paid. I doubt he comes here for less than max money but he may take a shorter 3 year deal.

Broadway

All Star
It would be ironic if the Bucks pursue him in FA. He'd be an upgrade to Pachulia and that team might appeal to him more than the Knicks.

That's the thing about NY, there are dozens of reasons not to come to NY and only one reason to come, to get paid. I doubt he comes here for less than max money but he may take a shorter 3 year deal.

He's not waiting another yr to get paid and I doubt he takes a 1yr or short deal from anyone, too much at risk. This is his summer to do so and do so he will.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

So true .. bout the dozen reason not to be a Knicks n only 1 reason to be a Knicks (Get $$$ twice their worth.)!
The Detroit Pistons past two losing seasons of 29 n 32 win seasons were mainly associated with Greg Monroe poor defense .. Illaysova defensive performance had combine well with Pachulia to give the Bucks a .500 season n playoff birth.

The Illaysova trade to Pistons show they werent interested in resigning Greg Monroe.
The only Detroit Piston worth paying max money to for the Knicks are PG Reggie Jackson ..
because Fisher n R.Jackson had a 60 n 59 win season as teammates.