Robin Lopez.....what do you think?

DrB

Benchwarmer
It has gotten to the point that his appearance on the floor sickens me. I know Jackson tried unsuccessfully to get a premiere center but after a 17 win games last year it was not doable. Nevertheless, this CLUTZ was supposed to be a rim protector and a player to be a defensive anchor....NOT. He never wins the tip and should not jump. Porzingus is far better defensively.
1. He can't dribble
2. His hook shot is unreliable because his shooting form is flawed.
3. He shoots foul shots well
So should we start Seraphin....can't. That puts ROLO in with second unit. Bad idea. His stats are 7-10 points per 21-24 minutes and 7-8 rebounds.
My wife the KNICK Queen gets nauseated by his over all play. Your thoughts on this 52 million dollar disaster might calm us down.
And while you are at your thoughts on ISO MELO relapse would be interesting. He's out of the flow again as seen in the 76er game. We were fine against HOUSTON without him. Not saying we don't need Melo but he plays like his stats come before playing in the flow.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
It has gotten to the point that his appearance on the floor sickens me. I know Jackson tried unsuccessfully to get a premiere center but after a 17 win games last year it was not doable. Nevertheless, this CLUTZ was supposed to be a rim protector and a player to be a defensive anchor....NOT. He never wins the tip and should not jump. Porzingus is far better defensively.
1. He can't dribble
2. His hook shot is unreliable because his shooting form is flawed.
3. He shoots foul shots well
So should we start Seraphin....can't. That puts ROLO in with second unit. Bad idea. His stats are 7-10 points per 21-24 minutes and 7-8 rebounds.
My wife the KNICK Queen gets nauseated by his over all play. Your thoughts on this 52 million dollar disaster might calm us down.
And while you are at your thoughts on ISO MELO relapse would be interesting. He's out of the flow again as seen in the 76er game. We were fine against HOUSTON without him. Not saying we don't need Melo but he plays like his stats come before playing in the flow.

When Phil made all these signings I am sure he took into account the rise of the scary cap the next 2 years.....everything is relative so take about 20% off all current contracts to get what the market value will be next year and years to come....so Yes he took a shot with lopes but truth is a guy like lopez at 13 million ( relative terms will be about 10 per ) will be traceable as will every other player he signed......not every move will be a winner but he has definitely assembled a group of players that play hard every night.....Fisher needs to weed out the keepers and who will be traded........even better if you guys battling for their minutes........but yes at some point fisher needs to set a line-up...

first opportunity you need to trade Melo.....the guy plays how he plays and thats not trading.......with Dolan now seeing he has a superstar for years to come as long as there is no injury he might allow phil to pull the trigger.....

the question is who wants melo and what can we get for him.....

DrB

Benchwarmer
Thanks for the information on the salary cap rising. I think Fisher knows that ROLO can't be on the floor at crunch time and he has not been. So it seems it was LOPEZ or nobody and Jackson took a gamble. The price was very steep and with tonight's game it will be interesting to see the 20 million dollar BROOK against the 13 million dollar ROBIN. I want to say we have a watchable team that on any given night is capable of a win. But after watching OKC vs. MIAMI last night , not the top tier, but good teams I see how far away we are. Yes this group has chemistry, and not to continue to bash Fisher if he uses the players better with proper rotations we could see a 35-40 win season. Fisher is afraid to seat MELO down as Melo has a lot more power with his no trade contract than Fisher. No one wants MELO's contract as they know knee problems only get worse . Melo like ROSE has lost his lift.

While there are not a on of members here the ones that post know their stuff.

tiger0330

Legend
He's having a sh**ty year as well. His 36 minute numbers particularly on the offensive end suck, his fg% is down about 10% from his career avg. and is scoring about 3 pts below his 13.7ppg 36min career avg. It could be worse we could be stuck with Roy Hibbert, I was watching a Laker game and Hibbert sucks looking lackadaisical out on the floor.

I think Rolo tries but he doesn't have innate athleticism and talent, paying a guy 14M because he's 7ft and takes up space in the paint so his teammates can get a few more rebounds doesn't make sense to me. Mafra pointed out the Knicks are in the top 10 in defensive FG% and attributed that to Rolo/KP6 but I wonder how KP6 would fare out on his own the floor, I would love to see KP6 start with Seraphin along side and Lopez coming off the bench with Quinn to see what KP6 rebounding looks like w/o him. I think those lineups make more sense also providing more balance having a 7ft'er on the floor at all times.

This is a great site since Rady overhauled it. The Forums don't look much different but the home page is a wealth of Knick information and I hope it attracts old members back to post like Skisloper.

Last edited:

DrB

Benchwarmer
He's having a sh**ty year as well. His 36 minute numbers particularly on the offensive end suck, his fg% is down about 10% from his career avg. and is scoring about 3 pts below his 13.7ppg 36min career avg. It could be worse we could be stuck with Roy Hibbert, I was watching a Laker game and Hibbert sucks looking lackadaisical out on the floor.

I think Rolo tries but he doesn't have innate athleticism and talent, paying a guy 14M because he's 7ft and takes up space in the paint so his teammates can get a few more rebounds doesn't make sense to me. Mafra pointed out the Knicks are in the top 10 in defensive FG% and attributed that to Rolo/KP6 but I wonder how KP6 would fare out on his on the floor, I would love to see KP6 start with Seraphin along side and Lopez coming off the bench with Quinn to see what KP6 rebounding looks like w/o him. I think those lineups make more sense also providing more balance having a 7ft'er on the floor at all times.

This is a great site since Rady overhauled it. The Forums don't look much different but the home page is a wealth of Knick information and I hope it attracts old members back to post like Skisloper.
Great post as usual. You nailed t. Lopez has no athletic ability. I set unrealistic goals but your point of starting Seraphen is spot on. I guess the pressure to play LOPEZ is enormous. I can't keep throwing things because of Lopez. Nice passing by the Frenchman last game. GO KNICKS.

Kiyaman

Legend
So far in 20 games Robin Lopez has turned out to be a great big man tutor for our rookie KP-Zingis ..
I want Rolo & Quinn (10 yr experienc combine) in the same lineup for 8 straight minutes twice in a game, both players play the C/F spot well.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I think Lopez is struggling because so much of his game is about chemistry, complementing his teammates and not about individual numbers. Give him some time. He is still turnover prone especially when the defensive intensity is high, but I hope this will get fixed in practice, and as he learns how to pass to his teammates in those situations. He seems to be rushing when he gets in trouble, he could use some Zen (hint). Think of him as sort of a rookie right now, because almost all of his teammates are new to him.

The same thing is going on with Calderon, who looked awful earlier in the season, but is also starting to come around: ten assists against the Nets!! That is a big deal, as are the 24 team assists, granted against a sub-par defense.

Also, Seraphin is an amazing passer. Afflalo and Grant are showing real progress. Kyle O'Quinn will get a real chance later in the season, when one of the bigs is out for a week or two. Thomas really has worked on his jump shot. I really like this team at 12-14 and I am curious who will end up being #15 by the end of the season.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Rolo is made of teflon and immune to criticism. He got 1 rebound, was a team worst -25 and the Bucks got 60 pts in the paint and the the guy that catches the heat is Lance Thomas because he scored 17 pts and didn't do anything else. He's the 2nd highest paid player on the team, is he a bust or not?

mafra

Legend
I hope part of the allure of signing ROLO is that he can be traded at the deadline (this year or next). People always looking for big men.

In theory, getting a rim protector and a PG who can hit the 3 and possess elite assist:to ratio should work...
But it is obvious... Melo and the triangle do not mix. So, if we don't have a legit star...
Having role players means nothing... Doesn't help.

I believe Lopez is hurting bc of the new system and the fact that Melo is basically Wilson Chandler right now. On top of that, our guards can't stay in front of anybody....

So, what little value Lopez has (fitting a role) is negated.... With that said... He is underwhelming and not living up to his contract. The quicker we trade him to a team who can benefit from having this sort of role player... All the better.

tiger0330

Legend
This comment from a NY Post blog made me laugh. I guess it was the Hunchback of Notre Dame comparison. I said when we signed him I'd rather have Moose at 3 yrs. 50M than Lopez's 4 at 54 and I haven't changed my mind, if people thought Moose wasn't worth the max you can be damn sure Rolo isn't worth 13.5M.

DEFINITELY. FROM DAY THE MAN HAS BEEN A ZERO. NO MOBILITY. PLAYS LIKE THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, NO BALL HANDLING SKILLS. CANNOT DRIVE TO THE BASKET. I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN HIM RECEIVE THE BALL AND STAND UP RIGHT AND PASS THE BALL. DID MR JACKSON EVER LOOK AT FILMS ON MR LOPEZ? EVIDENTLY NOT. IF MR LOPEZ IS AROUND AFTER THE TRADE DEADLINE MAYBE HE WOULD SPEND SOMETIME WITH MR HAKEEM OLAJUWON.

Robin Lopez is regularly in a starting lineup with 4 shooters (Melo, Porzingis, Afflalo, and Calderon). Why is there so much talk about his offensive game? His offensive game should be set screen and crash offensive boards. Every time we run a play through him, it makes me cringe, especially since we seem to have such a hard time getting the ball to Porzingis on most nights. Are we really still running that much of the triangle offense that we need Lopez to have the ball so much?

If people want to criticize Lopez's defense, which has been very up and down, or his rebounding, which has been very underwhelming so far, I can more understand it.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Robin Lopez is regularly in a starting lineup with 4 shooters (Melo, Porzingis, Afflalo, and Calderon). Why is there so much talk about his offensive game? His offensive game should be set screen and crash offensive boards. Every time we run a play through him, it makes me cringe, especially since we seem to have such a hard time getting the ball to Porzingis on most nights. Are we really still running that much of the triangle offense that we need Lopez to have the ball so much?

If people want to criticize Lopez's defense, which has been very up and down, or his rebounding, which has been very underwhelming so far, I can more understand it.
Ok , then his defense sucks and Fisher never has him on the floor in crunch time. I do agree there were no QUALITY BIGS for the 5 available. The triangle has to GO.