Instant backcourt upgrade

finestrg

Rotation player
They won't do it, not Phil's kind of players, but I'd love to see this:

(1) Sign Elliot Williams with the open spot we've had all along.

(2) Buy out Sasha V. Maybe add him to the coaching staff if he's willing. If not, sayonara--I want that spot open for a backcourt talent upgrade.

(3) Sign Russ Smith.

Imagine the speed and firepower of Russ Smith and Elliot Williams together with Derrick Williams on that 2nd unit. WOW.

tiger0330

Legend
The Jazz signed one of your guys finestrg, Erick Green, to fill in for Neto who has a concussion. I think it's going to take some kind of injury to make Phil sign or trade for anyone.

finestrg

Rotation player
The Jazz signed one of your guys finestrg, Erick Green, to fill in for Neto who has a concussion. I think it's going to take some kind of injury to make Phil sign or trade for anyone.

Wow, I didn't see that. Well, there goes another quality option off the board. Green's solid, he should help them. I think the Nuggets signed Sean Kilpatrick several days ago. Yet another possibility off the board.

I think you're right. While they can't possibly be that na?ve to think they don't have backcourt problems, I think they are saving that spot open in case of injury or for some other unknown purpose (maybe they're trying to make it through the season with only 14 players--maybe trying to eliminate a cap hold for next yr in an attempt to squeeze out every oz of cap space? I have no idea). I don't agree with it, though, I can tell you that. I'd like to see Phil be a little more proactive and address some weaknesses here. What if a little inexpensive tinkering in the backcourt could mean the difference between being a .500 team/slightly under .500 team and not making the playoffs and being a team 5 games over .500 and getting in? Not to mention possibly uncovering a quality young guard or two we could retain for next year..

I've always liked Russ Smith. Sure he's a shot taker/maker first and foremost, but he's also one hell of an underrated passer as well imo. This guy progressed nicely at Louisville and improved in so many areas by his senior year. Lightning quick, great handle, quick hands on D (compiles lots of steals), aggressive (gets to the line a ton), good outside shooter. Brings top speed and ability to break guys down off the dribble/push the ball in transition (all of which we're lacking from our couple of lead ball-handlers). He could be a real game changer for us and we could get him for nothing right now. Compare him to Ish Smith of the 76ers for a sec., a guy everyone's been talking about --- I think Russ Smith is the superior talent between those two, just like I feel Elliot Williams is a similar albeit superior talent over Tony Wroten. Williams is available once again btw--Memphis never offered him a 2nd 10-day contract. All he's done is put up two monster games since going back to the DL -- 36 & 48 pts!

I know they won't even consider cutting Vujacic because of their prior relationship but at what point do they finally come to the conclusion that they're living in the past with Sasha and that his roster spot could/should be put to better use?

I'm tellin' ya--if they wanted an instant backcourt upgrade, they'd buy out/waive Sasha (maybe re-hire him as a coach or find a front office spot for him?), sign Elliot Williams AND Russ Smith, and try to work on a minor deal to pry Spencer Dinwiddie away from Detroit (he was just told he'd be playing the rest of the season in the DL per Rotoworld. Supposedly took it in stride but you know he can't be happy about that. Seems like DET doesn't know what to do with this guy. I like his size and versatility A LOT. This guy Dinwiddie could be our new Alexey Shved).

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star

He's the guy they gave up rights to Denver for and Denver waived in favor of Papoose(smh). Good pickup for the Jazz and these are the kind of signings we should be making. Toney Wroten is still out there I believe.

tiger0330

Legend
Wow, I didn't see that. Well, there goes another quality option off the board. Green's solid, he should help them. I think the Nuggets signed Sean Kilpatrick several days ago. Yet another possibility off the board.

I think you're right. While they can't possibly be that na?ve to think they don't have backcourt problems, I think they are saving that spot open in case of injury or for some other unknown purpose (maybe they're trying to make it through the season with only 14 players--maybe trying to eliminate a cap hold for next yr in an attempt to squeeze out every oz of cap space? I have no idea). I don't agree with it, though, I can tell you that. I'd like to see Phil be a little more proactive and address some weaknesses here. What if a little inexpensive tinkering in the backcourt could mean the difference between being a .500 team/slightly under .500 team and not making the playoffs and being a team 5 games over .500 and getting in? Not to mention possibly uncovering a quality young guard or two we could retain for next year..

I've always liked Russ Smith. Sure he's a shot taker/maker first and foremost, but he's also one hell of an underrated passer as well imo. This guy progressed nicely at Louisville and improved in so many areas by his senior year. Lightning quick, great handle, quick hands on D (compiles lots of steals), aggressive (gets to the line a ton), good outside shooter. Brings top speed and ability to break guys down off the dribble/push the ball in transition (all of which we're lacking from our couple of lead ball-handlers). He could be a real game changer for us and we could get him for nothing right now. Compare him to Ish Smith of the 76ers for a sec., a guy everyone's been talking about --- I think Russ Smith is the superior talent between those two, just like I feel Elliot Williams is a similar albeit superior talent over Tony Wroten. Williams is available once again btw--Memphis never offered him a 2nd 10-day contract. All he's done is put up two monster games since going back to the DL -- 36 & 48 pts!

I know they won't even consider cutting Vujacic because of their prior relationship but at what point do they finally come to the conclusion that they're living in the past with Sasha and that his roster spot could/should be put to better use?

I'm tellin' ya--if they wanted an instant backcourt upgrade, they'd buy out/waive Sasha (maybe re-hire him as a coach or find a front office spot for him?), sign Elliot Williams AND Russ Smith, and try to work on a minor deal to pry Spencer Dinwiddie away from Detroit (he was just told he'd be playing the rest of the season in the DL per Rotoworld. Supposedly took it in stride but you know he can't be happy about that. Seems like DET doesn't know what to do with this guy. I like his size and versatility A LOT. This guy Dinwiddie could be our new Alexey Shved).
Russ Smith, native New Yorker born at the same hospital as my son. Phil sign him up.

finestrg

Rotation player
Russ Smith, native New Yorker born at the same hospital as my son. Phil sign him up.

Cool! I was a big fan of Russ Smith's coming out of Lousiville. He got better every yr and had a stellar senior season there. Had a special bond with Rick Pitino--Pitino loved him. I think this dude gets a bum rap for being just a scorer--it's just not so. Not sure where that comes from. Yeah he's a scorer and a good one but he's a willing passer as well. Excellent passer in fact.

Just chatting with a buddy who knows his hoops--he's not feeling Russ but I'm convinced this is our guy. Some guys are talking about acquiring a draft pick and targeting guard help in the draft which does look to be very deep with guard prospects all the way into the 2nd round. That's great but that's this summer. Cross that bridge when we get to it... In the meantime, what can we do to improve the club now, specifically the backcourt, and make the playoffs?

Russ Smith = everything we should be looking for and don't have out of our primary ball-handlers: speed, ability to slash and get all the way to the basket and finish, drive deep into the lane and dish off/kick out, speed in transition, he's a big-time underrated passer and I forget he's actually quite the little ballhawk defensively. I mean what else is there? Was just watching some video on him in a DL game matched up against Seth Curry -- Curry had so much trouble taking the ball up against Smith. He kept taking the ball right away from him. Reminded me of Derek Harper.. I never even considered this kid, I thought someone still owned his rights (New Orleans, Memphis?). Turns out he's a FA who resurfaced in the DL a handful of games ago, now just waiting for a callup. I think this kid would be terrific here. Electric--a real game changer.

I think Phil and co. get a little tunnel vision in their search for talent, esp. guards. You get the feeling they're really only looking for old school type guards that fit the triangle. I wish Phil would reconsider this. Gotta expand his search a little. Let's get some faster/quicker/higher-end talent in here, at least in the backcourt. Anyone can learn the triangle. Russ Smith couldn't learn the triangle? Why not? We don't even run 100% triangle anyway. Sometimes we're looking to run off a missed shot etc., we just don't have the backcourt personnel to do it consistently. It'd be great if we had at least one quicker, more explosive guard that can get out in transition AND break guys down off the dribble... Look at Derrick Williams -- this dude's not really a triangle player. Surprised Phil even went after him but it's worked out well. Let's try to add even more speed/athleticism to go along with him now. There's no question in my mind Russ Smith can play in the NBA. All he needs is a chance. We could use everything he brings to the table.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
finestrg... More likely if the Knicks do something it'll be for a vet like Jeff Teague that Ian Begley tweeted about. Kiyaman made a good point about Teague not fitting their style of play right now but I sure hope it happens, I think the Knicks would adjust if he comes to NY.

finestrg

Rotation player
finestrg... More likely if the Knicks do something it'll be for a vet like Jeff Teague that Ian Begley tweeted about. Kiyaman made a good point about Teague not fitting their style of play right now but I sure hope it happens, I think the Knicks would adjust if he comes to NY.

I saw that. Teague's OK. I don't love him, he's having a down yr, but he's better than Calderon, that's for sure. If we could get this dude for Calderon (Teague's making $8mm this year and next; Jose's contract is practically the same--Calderon would have to be included to make it work) + a Seraphin or Cle Early, I'd do it (I don't even know if I'd give them Lance Thomas, he's Fish's guy and he's become way too important). Calderon + Grant I'd have to think long and hard about--but that's absolutely as high as I go. I understand you gotta give to get--Teague's young enough and he was an all-star last year...I'm OK parting with Grant in the right deal, just not sure Jeff Teague is it. I'm on the fence there...But definitely no future pick. Drawing the line--not dealing away any more future 1st round picks. I wanna start stockpiling picks. And no cash involved either--I wanna keep our full cash allotment available for the draft... If we offered Jose + Grant, I'd tell ATL, 'look, you already got Hardaway Jr. for Grant on draft night--he's essentially included in this deal if you think about it.' Maybe Phil could parlay it like that to limit ATL's greed.

Or maybe we say to ourselves--Teague's not great. Let's hold onto our assets, make a minor move for Russ Smith on a 10-day contract and go from there. Or, we pull the trigger on Jose/Grant for Teague AND add Russ Smith to replenish the Grant asset. Teague/Russ Smith > Calderon/Grant. I'm just real partial to adding Russ Smith. Posted the idea on the Realgm Knicks board and got laughed at. LOL. That's OK -- I know the idea's sound and Smith could work out here. Surprised at that reaction, frankly. Our PG situation is weak to say the least--here's a young guy who played real well his senior yr in college against good competition (Smith had very similar college numbers to Jeff Teague at Wake Forest), excelled in SL and is currently dominating the DL with obvious talent pouring out of his ears. I mean, honestly, WTF? Beggars can't be choosers, come on...What's Teague good for, about 15 & 7 on a good year, right? I bet ya anything Russ Smith could equal or surpass that production in the NBA somewhere in the right situation.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
A couple of other things on this Teague idea --

(1) Some are saying Dennis Schroder may also be available. Talented and younger than Teague--would Schroder be the better PG to target of the two? I don't know if I really love Schroder enough to trade assets for either, though. And again, Russ Smith is out there and wouldn't cost us a thing.

(2) Read Lance Thomas actually has a no-trade clause. Wow, who knew? How the hell did he get Phil to give him that?? Some speculation out there that ATL might be interested in Thomas or Derrick Williams as a wing to take over the DeMarre Carroll role. Not really interested in moving either guy. Thomas has really improved his stock and become a quality reserve and D-Will's just scratching his surface--I'd really like to add more firepower and athleticism to go along with him on that 2nd unit.

(3) If the price is too high for Teague, I might turn my attention to Darren Collison or Ty Lawson. Two comparable talents--maybe we could get a better deal for one of these guys. Ideally, I'd prefer Collison. I like Lawson but he's got some baggage now, is having a terrible year and is on the books for over $13.2mm next year. Don't know if it would be wise to add that much salary for next yr with everything else we plan on doing -- resigning Afflalo, D-Will and LT, signing a top FA (Nick Batum?), signing Willy Hernangomez... Collison, by comparison, is only set to make approx. $5.2mm next yr. I read a couple of weeks ago that Steve Mills is real high on the idea of trying to acquire Collison.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
I don't think there's anything here with this Teague thing. He's good enough to the point where they'd want a top haul in return for him. They're not taking Calderon and Grant and that's it. Why would they do that? As of right now they're 27-20 good for 3rd in the EC. Calderon and Grant doesn't make them any better. They'd want Grant, D-Will, LT, a pick, maybe multiple picks...We can't give up half the team for Jeff Teague. Can't get fleeced on this. I'd just assume stay the course and looking into smaller solutions, i.e. a 10-day contract or two for a top DL guard(s).

I don't understand why we can't take a flier on Russ Smith. Dude's by far our best option right now in terms of adding ability we don't have at a position of need, negligible cost (even if he were to be retained for next yr), along with an ultra low risk factor. I mean if he doesn't work out, cut him. No harm, no foul..

Some "expert" on Realgm told me the following: (1) Smith used to be a top defender but who knows where his mind's at now as far as playing D; (2) just because he's shooting over 50% and putting up 25 a game in the DL doesn't mean he'll be able to do that in the NBA and (3) implying Smith is the answer to our PG problems "is a bit nuts."

Now if I even cared to rebut this guy I'd say this:

(1) I'll tell ya where his mind's at: working his ass off in the DL putting up over 2 steals a game, trying to get back in the show, that's where! What, he all of a sudden doesn't play defense anymore? Prove it. I'll prove otherwise.. Dude has played D at every step of his career--college, SL and DL--and he's put up stats to back it up. Absurd response #1. Next..

(2) Sure it doesn't guarantee anything but it is a good enough indicator? I mean come on...This kid's shown decernible results at every level, on both sides of the ball no less. If the tangible results Russ has had recently don't warrant a closer look on a 10-day contract, then what does?

(3) Ok, so I'm nuts. Been called a lot worse. But what's your idea, fella? That's what I'd like to know. Typical arrogant message board poster--your idea is complete **** and you're an idiot but I offer no idea of my own. Just reminds me why I choose not to post much on message boards anymore...And this dude said he's even a Louisville Cardinals fan. Hard to believe that the way he automatically poo-pooed the idea. Beggars can't be choosers, man. Simple as that..The kid's a very talented, ultra low cost/low risk option to try to see if we could improve our team at a very weak position. How could anyone be opposed to taking a flier here? Isn't this exactly what 10-day contracts are all about?

Last edited: