Derek Fisher Fired.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
Those in the know saying Luke Walton seen as ideal candidate by Phil Jackson to be next head coach of the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
Hiring Walton bc of his success in GSW would be a mistake! They are champs and have best team in NBA. Bring back thibideau!

knicksin60

Starter
Could you imagine the racial card that Stephen A.Smith will pull if the Knicks replace Fisher with Walton or Thibodeau?

Broadway

All Star
Hiring Walton bc of his success in GSW would be a mistake! They are champs and have best team in NBA. Bring back thibideau!

I think Walton has some positives but he is more the Vanilla hire. I like the idea of Thibs or Jackson with Patrick as a lead assistant

mafra

Legend
I think Walton has some positives but he is more the Vanilla hire. I like the idea of Thibs or Jackson with Patrick as a lead assistant

I wouldn't be opposed to it... But why wouldn't you hire him instead of DF 2 years ago? I'm just saying I wouldn't let the GSW stint cloud my judgement... It factors in.... but make sure you do your due diligence here.

I think this is a really good sign. Firing the head coach after a terrible one and a half plus seasons is what a normal franchise would do. I said recently I thought firing Fisher wasn't possible because of our PJ-centered Front Office, but obviously I was wrong.

The sheer concept that we could end up with Tom Thibodeau as head coach is amazing to me.

tiger0330

Legend
I agree, Fisher could have led that team to the Finals, Thibs or JVG are my picks. But I think if Phil is still here this summer it's not going to happen they're not triangle offense coaches and as long as he's around the Knicks are going to run the triangle. If Rambis can turn the ship around and we start to see Porzingis and Grant develop he may go from interim to HC.

Fisher's psycho babble about the playoffs don't matter only the process mattered and him backing up his words losing the last 9/10 is what got him fired in the end. Nobody is going to feel sorry for him, he was overpaid by about 3M a year making one of the highest salaries as a head coach let alone a rookie head coach and he's now got a 3.5 year vacation at 5M per. Wish I could get a job like that.

mafra

Legend
The one hope for hiring Thibbs is the fact that he doesnt care of offense... He let guys in CHI freestyle and do what they wanted on offense if they bought in to his defensive system. I think he would run the triangle, if necessary, bc he would be brought in to maximize the talent, coach defense, and make the whole better than the sum of its parts.

KP and LT play defense. LG tries to play defense... And, remember, Phil loves defense...

Now, is it liely to happen? Does Dolan still hold a grudge? Typical NYK decision is coming... Here we have a top 5 NBa HC sitting there... Perfect for kP... Has ties to the building, in a city that loves defense....

If we hire Brian Shaw I may puke.

tiger0330

Legend
Those in the know saying Luke Walton seen as ideal candidate by Phil Jackson to be next head coach of the Knicks.
The Pelicans tried that hiring Gentry from the Warriors and it's not working out, I'm not for it.

In the Charlotte game PJ Hairston was chewed out by Clifford and after the game he said that got him fired up. I'd like to see someone fiery and feisty and hold the players accountable. In fact I think Clifford was on JVG's staff so he's probably from that school of coaching.

DrB

Benchwarmer
The one hope for hiring Thibbs is the fact that he doesnt care of offense... He let guys in CHI freestyle and do what they wanted on offense if they bought in to his defensive system. I think he would run the triangle, if necessary, bc he would be brought in to maximize the talent, coach defense, and make the whole better than the sum of its parts.

KP and LT play defense. LG tries to play defense... And, remember, Phil loves defense...

Now, is it liely to happen? Does Dolan still hold a grudge? Typical NYK decision is coming... Here we have a top 5 NBa HC sitting there... Perfect for kP... Has ties to the building, in a city that loves defense....

If we hire Brian Shaw I may puke.
Remember that RAMBIS did a great job in the few games that Fisher was absent. I think he can do an excellent job here.

Broadway

All Star
Here's his press conference.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2016/02/08/1454957101763-160208phil-hd-720p.mov-280072

Some things to take away...

- When asked about Thibs he was kind of annoyed(he's not a candidate)

- Hated the Brooklyn loss without Melo

- Liked the way the team looked in games without Melo and thought November was a really good showing of potential in this system

- Brought up that calls sometimes don't a go a team's way but it's part of basketball and something that should be overcome(What I've said over and over)

- Has the instinct to coach but will not coach this team

- Will be open for business during the deadline but our roster is not desirable

- Fisher did not mesh well with the veteran coaches

- Likes Rambis and feels confident he'll bring more fun to the environment

- Melo has a no trade clause and it's no secret(that was a lowkey jab) when asked about taking him off the table of trade talks

- 9 of 10 games resulting in losses and lack of developing the players to play as a unit effectively in this system with starts and finishing(Fisher's death null)

- Ha Ha he'd prefer Melo take it real chill during All-Star weekend nd expects Ty Lue to not do him dirty...lol

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I personally am happy on two fronts...good bye to Fisher and happy about Kurt Rambis as the interim coach and maybe into next season unless the triangle is history.

getting rid of a crappy driver who drove a crappy car, still leaves you with a crappy car...

Even adding a good driver, still leaves you with a crappy car..

I am not sure fisher was crappy, but we know he wasn't really good....

Its similar to the pilot of a small plane saying they can't take off because there is too much weight and some one tosses out a cell phone...

I don't think fisher is the big problem here..