Jackson reveals his biggest mistake as president of Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
There are plenty of Knicks fans that haven't been all that happy with Phil Jackson's decisions since taking over as president in 2014. Hiring Derek Fisher as head coach and an undying loyalty to the triangle offense are just a couple of examples, but Jackson doesn't believe either of things to be his biggest mistake in his time running the team.

In an interview with longtime confidant Charley Rosen, Jackson revealed the decision he regrets the most.

"I don't consider hiring Fish a mistake because he worked hard and got the guys to stay as positive as possible while the losses piled up. I think the biggest mistake I made was actually this...One of the first deals I engineered when I came back to New York was to trade Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas for Shane Larkin, Jose Calderon, Wayne Ellington, Samuel Dalembert, plus a second-round pick that the Mavs owed to the Celtics. In talking with Boston, I was given the option of taking that pick or else taking Jae Crowder. I liked Crowder but I thought he wouldn't get much of a chance to play behind Carmelo, so I took the pick which turned out to be Cleanthony Early."

In Jackson's defense, Crowder had not yet blossomed into the solid two-way player he became last season, when he averaged a career-best 14.2 points and 5.1 rebounds while starting 73 games for the Celtics. At the time, a future second-round pick may have seemed more desirable, even though it can be extremely hard to predict how players selected that late will ultimately turn out.

Crowder's a nice player for sure, but the hiring of Fisher -- who embarrassed the team with a domestic incident involving current NBA player Matt Barnes during training camp, and was then fired in March after compiling a record of just 40-96 in his two seasons with the team -- was arguably a far worse decision.

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil Jackson took a 37 win season Knicks team and reduce them into a Knicks LOTTERY 17 win season team.
1- Trading Tyson Chandlor and Felton for LOSERS were the start of Phils mistakes.
2- Resigning a QUITing (2013-14) Carmelo Anthony were biggest mistake!
3- Not hiring Steve Kerr as assistant manager, and not hiring Mark Jackson as Head Coach, and not hiring Derek Fisher as assistant coach were Phil's BIGGEST mistake!
4- There are a lot more BIG mistakes Phil Jackson made as Knicks President ...

tiger0330

Legend
Crowder would have been a nice piece, not sure he would still be here since LT and a 2019 second rounder are all that remain after the trades of Chandler, Felton, JR and Shump.

Unlike the experts I like the look if this 2017 Knicks team. Really don't remember guys putting in the work together from the pre PJ teams but this Knicks squad seems to be putting in the work together in the preseason.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Crowder would have been a nice piece, not sure he would still be here since LT and a 2019 second rounder are all that remain after the trades of Chandler, Felton, JR and Shump.

Unlike the experts I like the look if this 2017 Knicks team. Really don't remember guys putting in the work together from the pre PJ teams but this Knicks squad seems to be putting in the work together in the preseason.

Crowder vs Lance Thomas .. both equal successful from the teams they were on, Lance has veteran experience over Crowder.
PLUS ....
The Tyson Chandler n Felton trade to Dallas never was suppose to go down, especially not in June on draft night when Melo was going FA in July. That trade were a Dolan/Phil RED-FLAG of incompetence!

Today im wondering ...If Phil or Dolan knew they had a 60% chance of signing Joakim Noah in the offseason during the month of June .. if so then why would Phil or Dolan make a idiot move in TRADING our best big-Man Robin Lopez plus our other upcoming rookie that like to slash to the hoop as a quick combo-guard to the Bulls organization for the Bulls 5 year injury-prone Derek Rose?
Note Reminder: the Bulls Joakim Noah were TANDEM alongside of 7.0 Pau Gasol in the frontcourt to have a 50 win Bulls season, plus the Bigman-Tandem took Bulls to 2nd round of the playoff.
NOW ...
If we really wanted our 7.3 rookie KP to learn how to be a proficient NBA Big-Man on both sides of the court to become a early NBA All-Star in his rookie contract .. Then Phil and Dolan shouldve been thinking about KP growth by having both Noah & Lopez in Knicks uniforms working side by side KP in every practice for two or more seasons. KP couldn't ask for better veteran work-out partners-teammates in his career.

mafra

Legend
Phil Jackson took a 37 win season Knicks team and reduce them into a Knicks LOTTERY 17 win season team.
1- Trading Tyson Chandlor and Felton for LOSERS were the start of Phils mistakes.
2- Resigning a QUITing (2013-14) Carmelo Anthony were biggest mistake!
3- Not hiring Steve Kerr as assistant manager, and not hiring Mark Jackson as Head Coach, and not hiring Derek Fisher as assistant coach were Phil's BIGGEST mistake!
4- There are a lot more BIG mistakes Phil Jackson made as Knicks President ...

Let's not forget, we grabbed Early at 31 and DEN took Jokic with the 41st pick... So, there's that too.

To be fair, Phil was brought in b/c that 54-win team bottomed out and became a 37-win team... Melo-TC rift was too great after TC got schooled by Hibbert in the playoffs... Life happened (TC's mom was dying & Fatty Felton went through his divorce)... With all the losing and failed expectations, TC & Felton drifted away and lost both focus & effort. All the bag PR that season stirred up was the impetus that drove Dolan to give Jax the sun-moon-and-Big-Dipper. The losing, that foolish Bargain deal and then the subsequent decision not to trade for Lowry....

When PJ "officially" signed on that Spring.... he identified TC & Felton as the 2 attitudes that needed to be removed from the locker room, and he thought he was upgrading the PG position in doing so (while getting a draft pick). Had he grabbed Jae Crowder, we would be applauding that deal right now (which is probably Phil's way of poking a finger into his critic's eyes.

As for Melo, we'll never know to what extent Dolan played into that decision.... Losing him to CHI for nothing was probably too much to stomach, especially given the fact we had 1 first round pick in the first 3 years of PJ's tenure. As it turned out, we ended up still snagging a franchise-caliber prospect in the lottery with our 1 pick and now Rose & Noah are here in NY.

Kerr is a West Coast guy.... As soon as GSW opened up, especially with that roster... NYK had no chance.

I would've loved Marc Jackson too.... With Ewing... But Hornacek is a good get. Remember, at least Phil's first option proved to be the right guy... Kerr has led his team to back2back Finals... Just stinks he turned us down.

They'll be plenty of time soon enough to truly evaluate what Phil did for this team... Right now, we are paying for the sins of Walsh... Had he tanked it for Lebron truly... and not sign the Hughes & Harrington's of the world.... If NYK win only 18 to 23 games instead of shooting for 28-30 wins... NYK features a backcourt of Curry & Westbrook right now... So, this is the season we really find out about Jax's management skills.

IS his Plan-C a viable plan? Sustainable? Was taking KP & JG the right combo? Was trading JG smart?

Time will tell.

Kiyaman

Legend
Let's not forget, we grabbed Early at 31 and DEN took Jokic with the 41st pick... So, there's that too.

To be fair, Phil was brought in b/c that 54-win team bottomed out and became a 37-win team... Melo-TC rift was too great after TC got schooled by Hibbert in the playoffs... Life happened (TC's mom was dying & Fatty Felton went through his divorce)... With all the losing and failed expectations, TC & Felton drifted away and lost both focus & effort. All the bag PR that season stirred up was the impetus that drove Dolan to give Jax the sun-moon-and-Big-Dipper. The losing, that foolish Bargain deal and then the subsequent decision not to trade for Lowry....

When PJ "officially" signed on that Spring.... he identified TC & Felton as the 2 attitudes that needed to be removed from the locker room, and he thought he was upgrading the PG position in doing so (while getting a draft pick). Had he grabbed Jae Crowder, we would be applauding that deal right now (which is probably Phil's way of poking a finger into his critic's eyes.

As for Melo, we'll never know to what extent Dolan played into that decision.... Losing him to CHI for nothing was probably too much to stomach, especially given the fact we had 1 first round pick in the first 3 years of PJ's tenure. As it turned out, we ended up still snagging a franchise-caliber prospect in the lottery with our 1 pick and now Rose & Noah are here in NY.

Kerr is a West Coast guy.... As soon as GSW opened up, especially with that roster... NYK had no chance.

I would've loved Marc Jackson too.... With Ewing... But Hornacek is a good get. Remember, at least Phil's first option proved to be the right guy... Kerr has led his team to back2back Finals... Just stinks he turned us down.

They'll be plenty of time soon enough to truly evaluate what Phil did for this team... Right now, we are paying for the sins of Walsh... Had he tanked it for Lebron truly... and not sign the Hughes & Harrington's of the world.... If NYK win only 18 to 23 games instead of shooting for 28-30 wins... NYK features a backcourt of Curry & Westbrook right now... So, this is the season we really find out about Jax's management skills.

IS his Plan-C a viable plan? Sustainable? Was taking KP & JG the right combo? Was trading JG smart?

Time will tell.

Watsup Mafra .. I will admit since Phil Jackson arrived as our president i personally graded Phil a big "F" for FAILURE each offseason and each regular season.
As a head coach Phil Jackson is the NBA best.

We were not suppose to make a Tyson Chandler trade until the deadline of his final contract year, plus Tyson n Felton could've been traded to a contender team on the deadline for a player and a first round pick. Any player making $15M per should have a good market value.

Yep i agree .. Phil were expensively bought onto the Knicks because of a bumbling idiot interim GM Glen Grunwald putting together a OLD-Head Knicks team to win 54 games, then tearing the team a part at the start of the Knicks 2013 offseason, by adding 8 new Knicks players to the roster to start the 2013-14 Knicks season to have a 37 win season.
Either that or Phil were paid expensively by Dolan to just get Melo to resign an above MAX contract.

The Kerr stories of coming to New York were never true .. Steve Kerr plus head coach Alvin Gentry (SSOL system) had their plans already set to leave the Phoenix Suns organization to join the winning GSW organization.
What head coach Mark Jackson did for a confused lottery GSW organization team by changing the individual players into chemistry winners ..............

I only know Jeff Hornachek as a player, he was a top starter SG that had great skills on offense/defense n combo-guard.
Jeff Hornachek as a head coach is still up in the air as a winner or loser ???

Phil believe having Rose/Lee/and Jennings as our trio main guards to run the show suppose to keep coach JH above the .500 percentage margin this season.
The only improvement Phil did that was great for the Knicks were adding rookies KP and Jerian Grant.
Trading Jerian Grant plus not resigning Galloway .. Two young combo-guards that are skillful role-players .. a double huge-huge mistake for our future team.

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil Jackson Were Aware Of Derrick Rose?s Rape Case Before Trade, Accuser Speaks Out For First Time

A few days after Derrick Rose was deposed in a rape lawsuit, he was traded to the New York Knicks without his new team ever hearing the victim?s side of the story, according to the woman?s lawyer.
The victim?s lawyer says the Chicago Bulls traded Rose because of the pending case.
?My first reaction was maybe they?re hiding this from the Knicks and passed him off without giving full disclosures, but it seems to me like the Knicks should?ve done their own investigation,? lawyer Brandon Anand told the New York Daily News.
As it turns out, Phil Jackson, the president of the Knicks, was aware of the issue, saying, ?We are aware of it. Investigation is a big word.?
?I think (the Knicks) should?ve conducted that big word (and called me),? Anand said Wednesday. ?I think I would?ve shown them the documents that were public, that were fair game, and I think it all speaks for itself. (Rose?s) testimony certainly revealed a lot. Just showing them the evidence that?s already out, they would?ve gotten a very clear idea about what actually happened.?
The alleged rape occurred in August 2013, when the women, who dated Rose for nearly two years, claims Rose and two of his friends forced their way into her Southern California home and gang raped her after she?d been blacked out from drinking too much.
The woman, whose identity has not been revealed, spoke to the Associated Press in her first interview.
?As soon as I woke up, I was dressed, I had my dress on from the previous night and I never go to sleep with what I?m wearing. I always prepare myself first to go to sleep. So I had the dress and it was up on my neck and I felt very wet and slippery. There was lubricant all over my bed and on my legs. Everything was tossed in my bed. There was a condom wrapper and a closed one not used,? she recounted.

The trial is set to begin on October 4, which is also Rose?s 28th birthday and marks the beginning of the NBA preseason.

tiger0330

Legend
The trial is estimated to last 8-10 business days so it may be over by Oct. 15. DRose can probably play that Sat. Game but will miss 3 pre-season games during his trial.

He's also not going to jail since its a civil case, I doubt he gets suspended by the league either for losing a civil case, all its going to cost him is money if he loses. His rep, most Knicks fans could care less about his sex life if he can bring it on the court. Very little impact on DRose and the Knicks from this alleged rape IMO.

Kiyaman

Legend
The trial is estimated to last 8-10 business days so it may be over by Oct. 15. DRose can probably play that Sat. Game but will miss 3 pre-season games during his trial.

He's also not going to jail since its a civil case, I doubt he gets suspended by the league either for losing a civil case, all its going to cost him is money if he loses. His rep, most Knicks fans could care less about his sex life if he can bring it on the court. Very little impact on DRose and the Knicks from this alleged rape IMO.

So True ...I still dont understand why a lot of players dont have an attorney to keep their private sex life on a settlement plan basis to stay out the media .. especially when rich $$$ stars mix with professional gold-digger women always lead to pictures/video/DNA = blackmail scandal $$$

Rose will have to bring it to the court for a Knicks 50 win season for several reasons ...
1- The past four season of being injury-prone
2- Keeping fans mind off the alledge rape charge
3- Plus the 2016-17 season will evaluate Rose new contract ..
A- Super-star $$$?
B- Star player $$$?
C- Average player $$$?

I guess New York is the best place for Rose to pick up his act