Some thoughts on Lou Amundson and the Knicks? full (but not complete) roster

Kiyaman

Legend
Monday afternoon the Knicks re-signed veteran Lou Amundson, bringing their total of guaranteed contracts to 15. The roster is currently full, but i wouldn?t call it complete. Let?s talk about this latest signing, shall we?

The writing was on the wall.

I guess we should have seen this coming two weeks ago when it was reported that the Knicks had tried and failed to re-sign Kevin Seraphin. The news came from Marc Berman, a dude usually plugged into the organization?s feelings, who also stressed that the Knicks were ?thin on experience at backup center behind Joakim Noah.? The front office obliviously agreed.

I like Lou ? really, I do. I like his scrappy on-court play and his overall professionalism. But Kyle O?Quinn has played nearly 1,000 more minutes than him over the last four years, so the ?experience? thing is a bit of a stretch. Is O?Quinn reliable? Probably not. But surely some combination of O?Quinn, Porzingis, Hernangomez, Ndour and Plumlee can surpass what Amundson would provide.

Phil Jackson?s views on the point guard position are confusing.

After years of insisting that the Triangle de-emphasized the point guard spot, Phil sort of came around to the idea of having a floor general who can break down the D with his dribble. He went hard after Derrick Rose ? too hard, one could argue ? and made sure to nab an intriguing backup in Brandon Jennings.

And then, nothing. Most teams have three players capable of manning the point, even if their starting point guard is a pillar of health. The Knicks have two guys with major injury concerns and that?s it.

This is where the failure to re-sign Langston Galloway could loom very large. He wasn?t a pure point guard, but he could at least hold down the position for stretches, and he had experience working with the likes of Carmelo Anthony and Kristaps Porzingis. I?m no salary cap expert, and I?m not sure if they could have kept him, but it didn?t seems like they put THAT much effort into bringing him back. He will almost certainly be missed this season.

I?ll be rooting for Maurice Ndour.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
I do not think this is fatal if they work on developing Ron Baker and Chasson Randle in the development league. I think there is a good possibility they can develop faster and better there anyway, and they can be called up immediately if either rotation point guard misses more than a game or two.

Especially in the first two months of the season, I think there is a bigger question mark at the backup center positions whenever Noah and Porzingis are both out of the game at the same time. This is why the Amundson makes sense. I agree that eventually you hope to get more out of O’Quinn, Hernangomez, Ndour and Plumlee but this may take time to develop. Early in the year, it is reasonable to expect you will not need more than two point guards. In theory, the three shooting guards can all handle the ball reasonably well if needed for short stretches, but I would expect Baker, Randle, or some other developmental PG to be called up if either is out for longer than one or two games.

Last edited: