Bullock should start over RJ, the sooner the better

tiger0330

Legend
Reggie is the superior player to RJ on both sides of the ball and the below numbers prove it. The below shows career numbers for Bullock and of course RJ is a rookie. Miller would be crazy not to start Reggie over RJ at SG. RJ is a better playmaker than Reggie but his poor shooting doesn?t make up for what RB does. I give it 5 games before Miller has RB in the starting lineup.

Fg%3pt %FT%EFG%TS%ORtgDRtg
Barrett.389.321.552.432.45692113
Bullock.412.392.828.550.568112110

Tiger,
Let not create the same problem by starting RB that RJ created. If anyone should be starting at the SG position that would be Dotson. Like RJ... RB haven't won the job by competition. Think about what Dotson is saying if that happen. They bring in every 'Tom, Dick and Harry' and start them when I earn this job last year and nobody has taken it away from me.

I do agree with you that RB should cut into a large amount of RJ playing minutes. You know the 2nd unit is running very good right now. That is because of that word I use so often...CHEMISTRY. They are ones from last year team and they are showing they want to play.

What is your take on Knox play? Last 12 games.

mafra

Legend
Personally, I start my greatest strengths... Frank-MRob defense, with MM shooting and Randle post production.

The question is, who deserves to be that fifth starter?

Frenchy
MM
Randle
MRob

Do you go EP to run the point? If so, does compel you to swap Frank to backup PG (instead of starting combo guard with EP)?

As a coach, do you feel for his development, the best thing for MRob is to stay as first big off the bench backup role?

Either way, whatever the role, MRob either start together or are both reserve backups (6/7 men in rotation).

I think eventually, by Feb, that 4th guy will clearly be Bullock. Maybe not until he gets his legs under him tho.

You could start Dotson, for he fits that SG role. But he?s closer to fodder than starting material. But, I?m all for giving him a shot.

RJ should be a backup right now. Not a demotion, for he still gets his 24 minutes... but if I am new HC and I am about accountability.... I use last game as excuse to pull RJ for starting unit. He?s slumping with his shot... let him regroup and earn his role back. The locker room is watching.

However, we don?t know what is happening in practice and whatnot.... who is clearly separating himself, demonstrating their natural talents....

But, if it were me...

EP
Frank
MM
Randle
MRob

I got 2 shot-happy scoring guys, along with 2 gritty-guttty-grinder sneaker squeaking types... those 4 are the body, and the maestro running the show is EP.

tiger0330

Legend
Tiger,
Let not create the same problem by starting RB that RJ created. If anyone should be starting at the SG position that would be Dotson. Like RJ... RB haven't won the job by competition. Think about what Dotson is saying if that happen. They bring in every 'Tom, Dick and Harry' and start them when I earn this job last year and nobody has taken it away from me.

I do agree with you that RB should cut into a large amount of RJ playing minutes. You know the 2nd unit is running very good right now. That is because of that word I use so often...CHEMISTRY. They are ones from last year team and they are showing they want to play.

What is your take on Knox play? Last 12 games.
Eye test on Knox was he was nothing special and I just checked his Dec stats. Shot 38% from the field, 30% from 3 and 77% FT. Big disparity as well between his ORtg and DRtg, of 93 and 115. Coming off the bench is where I would play him. After Frank's last game I'd start him to see if he can string together some nice games and even if he doesn't score Bullock in the starting lineup can complement a guy (Nits)who the opposition scouting report says is not a threat to score. Starting 5 for me would be Taj, JR, MM, Reggie and Nits. I'd play Taj like Miller plays him as a starter, a quick hook for MRob with the majority of minutes going to Mrob.

2nd unit I'd go with Payton, Dotson, RJ, Knox, Portis. That's a weak scoring second unit so I'd see if it's better to have Reg come off the bench in a 6th man role.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Man you guys are crazy. Bullock plays one halfway decent game halfway thru the season(after spinal fusion surgery) and you want to start him over the number 3# overall pick? Y’all smokin that same **** Dark smokin. The only reason Bullock should be playing is to show value to move him. I don’t want his bad back or his bad hair. Neither is the Knicks future. RJ is. This is basically a throw away season. It makes Noooooo sense to somehow make the playoffs as an 8th seed or more than likely miss but hurt our draft position. We need a PG. And we need RJ to get as much floor time as possible in a low leverage season. If RJ hits the “rookie wall” then we can always rest him.

tiger0330

Legend
Man you guys are crazy. Bullock plays one halfway decent game halfway thru the season(after spinal fusion surgery) and you want to start him over the number 3# overall pick? Y?’all smokin that same **** Dark smokin. The only reason Bullock should be playing is to show value to move him. I don?’t want his bad back or his bad hair. Neither is the Knicks future. RJ is. This is basically a throw away season. It makes Noooooo sense to somehow make the playoffs as an 8th seed or more than likely miss but hurt our draft position. We need a PG. And we need RJ to get as much floor time as possible in a low leverage season. If RJ hits the ?“rookie wall?” then we can always rest him.
Disagree about the importance of making the playoffs as a low seed. The Nets were able to sign KI and KD as low seed playoff team. Cap space to sign FAs continues to be a major factor for the Knicks with so many team option contracts the Knicks have this off-season, pretty much proven that good players want to sign with winning teams. This draft isn’t like last season with all the buzz about Zion so there’s less incentive to tank.

RJ will get plenty of minutes but Bullock is clearly the better player right now.

Eye test on Knox was he was nothing special and I just checked his Dec stats. Shot 38% from the field, 30% from 3 and 77% FT. Big disparity as well between his ORtg and DRtg, of 93 and 115. Coming off the bench is where I would play him. After Frank's last game I'd start him to see if he can string together some nice games and even if he doesn't score Bullock in the starting lineup can complement a guy (Nits)who the opposition scouting report says is not a threat to score. Starting 5 for me would be Taj, JR, MM, Reggie and Nits. I'd play Taj like Miller plays him as a starter, a quick hook for MRob with the majority of minutes going to Mrob.

2nd unit I'd go with Payton, Dotson, RJ, Knox, Portis. That's a weak scoring second unit so I'd see if it's better to have Reg come off the bench in a 6th man role.

By changing the 2nd unit you messing up the Chemistry. Leave as is for now to strengthen that bond. Let the starting stay and let RB run with the 2nd.
Tiger the great problem not isn't who start but who is in th F.O. We must first rid ourselves of Mills/Perry. There trades to be for players that could help us as team but they can't be allowed to make any deals. Only the core group which is on the 2nd unit is untouchable no what some in this forum says. Again everything comes back to the F.O. changes.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Disagree about the importance of making the playoffs as a low seed. The Nets were able to sign KI and KD as low seed playoff team. Cap space to sign FAs continues to be a major factor for the Knicks with so many team option contracts the Knicks have this off-season, pretty much proven that good players want to sign with winning teams. This draft isn?t like last season with all the buzz about Zion so there?s less incentive to tank.

RJ will get plenty of minutes but Bullock is clearly the better player right now.

Hey I wanna see the Knicks in the playoffs as well but remember the ?Starbury? 8th seed team that got swept in the first round? Exactly neither do I because that team was forgettable. I don?t think this team could do what the 8th seed Spree/Allen Houston team accomplished making this to the finals.

Kiyaman

Legend
Man you guys are crazy. Bullock plays one halfway decent game halfway thru the season(after spinal fusion surgery) and you want to start him over the number 3# overall pick? Y?’all smokin that same **** Dark smokin. The only reason Bullock should be playing is to show value to move him. I don?’t want his bad back or his bad hair. Neither is the Knicks future. RJ is. This is basically a throw away season. It makes Noooooo sense to somehow make the playoffs as an 8th seed or more than likely miss but hurt our draft position. We need a PG. And we need RJ to get as much floor time as possible in a low leverage season. If RJ hits the ?“rookie wall?” then we can always rest him.

RJ is to raw, and inexperience to be receiving above 24 minute a night.
Dotson's 2-Way performance has been ready for steady playing-time at the SG spot.
Yes, Dotson's complimentary performance for 24 minute at SG are a much better winning talent than RJ Barrett.
Yes, I also believe Frank & Dotson should've been our starter guards the first half of the season.

We watch iso-RJ Barrett raw-skills, and Randle's isolation leadership performance as Knick Starters get MitchRob & Frank kicked out the starter lineup, because Frank & MitchRob were the only ones playing defense so the two pick up fouls early in the game.
Payton was playing consistent winning b.ball coming off the bench to be the prime 6th man PG of the 2nd unit bench-lineup.
Now, Payton's been put in the Knick starter lineup playing inconsistent b.ball.

The Knicks need a better leader, and a much better first option player on offense than Randle in the starter lineup.
Randle's scoring performance are at best a 3rd to 4th option on a team.
Having Randle as the first option on offense means the Knicks are not going to the playoff !!!

I'm waiting to see 3 to 4 games of Bullock to see how well he jell with teammates on both sides of the court.
Bullocks crazy 3-ball shooting (1-5) and poor defense in the Suns game looks more to demote than promote

mafra

Legend
RJ has 2 fastbreak a last night, where he had ball on the go... had the numbers... both times he went all ball-hog and neither produced a bucket.

I would highlight those 2 plays, show RJ the tape, and ask him flatly ?why didn?t you pass the ball??

Those plays alone would remove him from starting lineup until he proves he can make the right play.

tiger0330

Legend
RJ has 2 fastbreak a last night, where he had ball on the go... had the numbers... both times he went all ball-hog and neither produced a bucket.

I would highlight those 2 plays, show RJ the tape, and ask him flatly “why didn’t you pass the ball?”

Those plays alone would remove him from starting lineup until he proves he can make the right play.
I remember two plays in particular, don’t know if they’re the same ones you’re talking about Mafra where he forced up two bad shots with his defender in his grill. He’s not making his open looks consistently either, he really shouldn’t be starting.

jimkcchief88

All Star

I would highlight those 2 plays, show RJ the tape, and ask him flatly ?why didn?t you pass the ball??

Hey I?m all about sitting RJ down for a minute or two for instructional purposes but a benching? In favor of a dude who probably wouldn?t even be ON the team if the player/agent/team hid his back injury? Nah brah... let RJ cut his teeth now. You don?t get better on the bench.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, there?s definitely no benching of RJ. He should be getting 24 minutes a night regardless. Same with Knox. Just not starting (or closing right now) unless play warrants.

tiger0330

Legend
Hey I’m all about sitting RJ down for a minute or two for instructional purposes but a benching? In favor of a dude who probably wouldn’t even be ON the team if the player/agent/team hid his back injury? Nah brah... let RJ cut his teeth now. You don’t get better on the bench.
We're not talking about DNP play for the kid, we're just saying earn your starting job. If Bullock outplays RJ, he should be promoted to the starting unit. 24 minutes in the second unit gives him ample time to develop. RJ needs to fix his FT shooting 55% is putrid for a big let alone a SG that takes it to the hole as much as he does, speaks to what mafra says about him not closing out games, who wants a guy out there in a close game that can't make his freebies.

tiger0330

Legend
He responded today. Gotta appreciate his ability to bounce back from adversity.
He's had good games and I said I'm hoping he can have a break out 2nd half but if Bullock outplays him in the.next 10 he should start. Score one for RJ out playing Reg today.

Kiyaman

Legend
I really wanted one of last-season young-core guards (Dotson) to receive a chance to hustle for 24 minute of playing-time at the SG spot throughout the first half of the season.
I favored Dotson 2 Way performance over Trier to receive consistent minute at the 2 spot.
The two FA SG Ellington & Bullock has a NBA career as bench players whom I thought were going to get the majority of the 2 guard minutes throughout the first half of the Knick season.

When rookie RJ Barrett received 37 minute per in all 4 Knicks preseason games, I thought that would be the rookie last time receiving above 30 minute of playing-time for a long time. The Knicks having Frank DSJ and Payton competing for PG minutes, and having Dotson, Trier, Ellington, and a injured Bullock competing for the SG minutes.
When Fizdale open the first game of the season having Trier & RJ Barrett as the Knicks starter-guards I CHOKED throughout the Knicks vs Spurs game, watching the rookie receive 37 minute looking lost on the defensive-end of the court in all 4 quarters of the game.

The Knicks TRIO starter Randle Morris and rookie RJ has not JELL as a trio in a lineup in none of the Knicks 36 games this season, each of the trio has become Ball-stoppers and shoot-first isolation players. Plus their trio defense STINKS by giving up 110 pts to opponents!
Bullock's performance happen to be the same as the Knick trio performance mention above.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
RJ led us in scoring last night. Mods please delete this thread. If a lurker jumps on KO.com and sees this thread they will think we?re all crazy. Even tho we really are for even following this team.

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ led us in scoring last night. Mods please delete this thread. If a lurker jumps on KO.com and sees this thread they will think we’re all crazy. Even tho we really are for even following this team.

There's so much to be said in this thread .. I prefer Dotson to be the Knicks starter SG.

The Knicks shot 39% from the FG last night, poor team shooting .. the rookie RJ took 19 shots for 19 pts, Randle took 16 shots for 15 pts.
Who gave the rookie the Green-Light to be the Knicks first & second option on scoring? Mills/Perry/Fizdale?
Last night Knicks were without SF-Morris .. However, the Lakers Rondo Green and Lebron showed up.
Which of the three Lakers players could the Knicks rookie RJ defend well? Rondo? NO! Green? NO! Lebron? Hell NO!
The Knicks rookie RJ Barrett has 3 strong reason why he should not be a NBA starter receiving above 24 minute of playing time?
1) Inexperience
2) Defense STINKS
3) The rookie RJ Barrett has a shoot-first, ball-stopper performance that does not compliment any of his teammates on offense.

As for Bullock, his NBA 6 yr career spells a decent 24 minute role-player off the bench.