Ewing: Curry May Not Have Big Apple Mentality

metrocard

Legend
New York Post -
Knicks legend Patrick Ewing acknowledged last night that disintegrating Eddy Curry may not have the mental makeup to succeed in New York.

Ewing, the Orlando assistant, understands more than anyone what it takes to prosper at the Garden. The “Big Fella" received more boos and catcalls than any Knick.

“I don't know if he came into camp in shape or not," the likely Hall of Famer told The Post. “You have to have a strong mind to play in New York. Not too many people can play there."

The boos that wash over the Knicks at the Garden have become a big issue in their freefall. Ewing is an expert on the topic.

“I think it's a great place to play," Ewing said. “When you're doing well, they'll let you know. When you're doIng bad, they'll let you know. It's a great check. You have to check yourself."

“Everybody gets tired of it," added Ewing, who asked for a trade after 15 years. “All you can do is perform to the best of your abilities. They know when you're playing to the best of your abilities and playing 100 percent."

<a href="http://www.nypost.com/seven/12272007/sports/knicks/ewing__curry_may_not_have_big_apple_ment_944575.htm">EWING: CURRY MAY NOT HAVE BIG APPLE MENTALITY</a>

Atleast Curry leads the team in something

61857734jf7.png

Sadly...

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't think McFlurry has the mentality to play in wonderland! If you watch him on the court, he has no fire in him, no desire. Whenever he makes a mistake he damn near puts his head down and looks defeated.

I want someone who will rise to the challenge and get pissed when they make a defensive miscue or fail to score when they should. Curry doesn't seem to care much when these things happen.

Also, in last nights game a shot was taken by orlando and Curry was standing in the middle of the paint and still couldn't get the defensive rebound with no one blocking him out. I've finally figured out why he's a loser rebounder: Curry is never prepared to rebound when he's supposed to. The ball bounced off the back of the rim and he was late in jumping for it becasue he was flat footed on the ground when he should have been in rebounding position as soon as the ball was released. The only rebounds Curry get are the ones that land in his lap. Pay attention next game and see for yourself.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't think McFlurry has the mentality to play in wonderland! If you watch him on the court, he has no fire in him, no desire. Whenever he makes a mistake he damn near puts his head down and looks defeated.

I want someone who will rise to the challenge and get pissed when they make a defensive miscue or fail to score when they should. Curry doesn't seem to care much when these things happen.

Also, in last nights game a shot was taken by orlando and Curry was standing in the middle of the paint and still couldn't get the defensive rebound with no one blocking him out. I've finally figured out why he's a loser rebounder: Curry is never prepared to rebound when he's supposed to. The ball bounced off the back of the rim and he was late in jumping for it becasue he was flat footed on the ground when he should have been in rebounding position as soon as the ball was released. The only rebounds Curry get are the ones that land in his lap. Pay attention next game and see for yourself.
<!-- / message -->

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
LOL thats funny. And how did Frye handle it!!!! Frye is a actor he plays a mental game not physical. I prefer Bynum. Softy---Frye.

mArBuRyIsAmOrOn

Benchwarmer
Ewing: The Most Over Rated Player In The NBA!

Someone please tell me how many championships Ewing has won?

OK, now tell me how many times he CHOKED at the foul line and in the paint to KILL the Knick's chances of winning one?

That's what I thought. Ewing = CHOKE ARTIST, LOSER. Thank you!

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Someone please tell me how many championships Ewing has won?

OK, now tell me how many times he CHOKED at the foul line and in the paint to KILL the Knick's chances of winning one?

That's what I thought. Ewing = CHOKE ARTIST, LOSER. Thank you!

Ewing is not a choke artist, Marbury is not a morom. You are a moron and a choke artist. I have no response to what you sed about Ewing, I dont take it seriously.

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i dont know, i feel last year was not a fluke, dude is big but yet he quick and has a lot fines(maybe too much), he just gotta get his confidance back

mArBuRyIsAmOrOn

Benchwarmer
Ewing is not a choke artist, Marbury is not a morom. ...

I'm just keeping it real my man. History has been written and the stats tell it all about Ewing's legacy with the Knicks. As they say, it is what it is.

Oh, and by the way, Marbury is not a Mormon, but he is a MORON!!

And one more thing, I could put Walt Frazier's patented fade away jumper in your face 7 days a week! :thumbsup:

Later dude.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I'm just keeping it real my man. History has been written and the stats tell it all about Ewing's legacy with the Knicks. As they say, it is what it is.

Oh, and by the way, Marbury is not a Mormon, but he is a MORON!!

And one more thing, I could put Walt Frazier's patented fade away jumper in your face 7 days a week! :thumbsup:

Later dude.

I would reject your shot 7 times a day 7 days a week. I said he was not a Morom, not a mormon. Im not sure what a morom is but Learn how to read moron. You are hard to attack becuase you never have much to write. I dont know what players you like on this team cuz all you do is criticize Isiah(rightfully so), marbury, and now Ewing. I would like to hear more of your opinions but you aint ever got much to say. And I aint your man you F*ckin homo, dont call me your man.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
wow...i love the way Ewing played...man i just love watching him play period
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wm2GqveanLc
i think Howard has the chance 2 be like Ewing...and dam man he couldent even handle NY that much...ey he should know what he talking about if i was curry i would take it personal...and prove him wrong!

OAKLEY RULEZ

Benchwarmer
got luv for Patrick, so i say this as respectfully as can be, but talk about understatement of the year. maybe the decade.

:wallbash:

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
man if i was curry i would dead ass go out there and prove em wrong...i mean everyone dont look at him as a good player shit nowun wants him 2 start nomore...nowun expects nuttin from him...so shit y not?! i mean we can tell when he tries and thats all he has 2 do is try and hustle and people will like him here in NY

I no longer wanna talk about what a player can be..

But what he has proven to be. Curry is a fat, lazy, poor excuse for a big man. I once touted this man as an up and comer. This after calling him a bum before last season as well ( he tricked me, saw growth and potential ). Curry is just your classic, spoiled under achiever. The things he has to learn as a big man, should have already been engrained in his persona years ago. He is going to be 26 and he is regressing. Does not defend, does not rebound, and only hustles when he has the ball. Does not even fit for position well. He just plainly sucks. And ultimately he will be the reason Isaiah deservedly gets fired.

Curry is the main reason this team has the record it does. He was supposed to take the next step forward. Instead he has taken 4 back. Add that with Randolph who does not know what team means, and then alienate your best player (Marbury) by making him a scapegoat and you have your recipe for disaster.

Since Marbury has been out of the lineup, has our defense improved? Wins? No, they have not. Zeke went out his way to take the ball out of his best players hands, to force them into underachieving players hands. This is the only team where the offense runs through everyone else, except the teams best player. Sure they have other good scoring options, but clearly something is missing offensively. Forget defensively. It was all Marbury's fault. Token gaurds scoring on him at will... all that talk. Those gaurds are still doing that now, and he ain't even there. Who is to blame now?

Bottom line is the team is lost. They need a real head coach to come in and straighten the team out. But to do that, you will need players with heart. Not many on the Knicks. We have a lot of playground greats on the team... Not enough NBA talent to win.

dp43

Rookie
I read the article minutes ago. I was surprised at how on point Ewing was, and more surprised at the style of his delivery. The guy is a class act.

As far as "ewing = no rings = he sucks" post, that's silly. Championship or not, his Knicks teams are the only reason I am still a fan today. Back in the 90's, you always knew they weren't THE team, but you also always knew that they would be in the playoffs and that you would get your dollar's worth. They competed, entertained, and stuck together; over a decade +, that's almost as good as a ring, and it's multiples more than the current team is giving.

knicklover

Benchwarmer
People always talk about Curry's lack of passion, but his lack of confidence is also an issue. When most top athletes get challenged by their coach and/or booed by fans, they rise up to prove that everyone is wrong. Curry backs off even more. That's a sign of insecurity.

Curry actually seems like a very nice young man, but NY may just be the wrong town for a sensitive guy like him.

It's very disappointing because he had a break out year last year on offense. He was scoring 20 every night DESPITE being doubled. All we really needed was a complimentary and consistent outside shooter.

I think the addition of Zach really threw him off. One thing is certain. One of them has to go. Neither really belongs on the bench. They both just need the ball and to be playing along side someone that makes up for their defensive and shot blocking deficiencies.