[Article] Marbury may start tonight against the C's

Trin_Starr

Starter
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/

If Jamal Crawford keeps up this deer-in-headlights look in this offense, the Knicks are going to have a major dilemma to figure out with a week to go before the real games begin.

Meanwhile, five games into the seven-game preseason, Stephon Marbury has slowly started to figure out how to make himself most effective in the D'Antoni system. In fact, D'Antoni went out of his way to point out that Marbury's play in tonight's win over the Nets was "really good" . . . OK, usually 9 points and 6 assists (and two turnovers) isn't a typical Marbury statline, but he did it in 16:23. And he did it with a bounce in his step we haven't seen much of in the preseason thus far.

And earlier in training camp D'Antoni seemed uncomfortable to discuss Marbury in public. Now it seems he's allowing himself to believe....maybe, just maybe....

[Bloghost note: gulp]

Meanwhile, as I wrote in the print edition for the Tuesday paper, there are indications that the coaching staff is getting impatient with Crawford, who had another troubling night with four points and three assists with a turnover in 25:58. Worse than anything was that Crawford shot 1 for 6 from the field and, ironically, the only shot he did make was one of his trademark fall-aways contested at the shot clock buzzer.

The kind of shot that makes D'Antoni cringe.

Crawford is averaging just 6.8 field goal attempts per game in the season, which is a huge drop from the 17.4 FGA's he averaged last season, when he led the team with 20.6 points per game. He is averaging exactly 9 points per game in five preseason games. And, yes, he looks lost in an offense that D'Antoni initially thought he would thrive in as a scorer.

So....could Lazarusbury be rising from the dead? This is a precarious situation for D'Antoni and the coaching staff, because there is great trepidation in putting too much faith -- not to mention emphasis -- in Marbury. Still, with Crawford struggling, D'Antoni knows he needs a scoring guard at the two. Chris Duhon has quietly shown he has command of the offense and can also hit the open three. Nate Robinson is a valuable energy boost off the bench who really knows how to find his shots in this offense (26 points against the Nets on 8 of 13 shooting). Mardy Collins has earned a fringe spot in the rotation as a versatile player who can fill in anywhere from the 1 through the 3-spot.

So do they dare dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

With a back-to-back situation in Tuesday's game against the Celtics at the Garden, it wouldn't be out of the norm for D'Antoni to rest some of his starters and give a different lineup a look. And at shooting guard, from Georgia Tech, No. 3, Steph-onnnn Marrrr-bury....

Sigh. Please pass the Adobe. I'd like to at least season my words before I eat them.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I don't imagine this is a long-term plan, nor do I believe this means they are giving Marbury back the keys to the franchise. But somebody's got to score at that position and if Crawford can't get it done, Marbury is the next qualified person on the roster. While he's still on the roster.

And at $21.9 million, which the franchise decided not to eat just for the purposes of the "addition-by-subtraction" philosophy, Marbury is immovable. But Crawford, who has an opt-out after this season, does have some market value, especially for teams in need of scoring.

Worth monitoring this situation closely. Now if you'll excuse me, my meal of words awaits....

It's about time man!
Damn...starbury fan or hater - everyone has to agree that he plays the 2 better than JC right now...Jamal just looks lost out there...

Blas

Benchwarmer
I guess the only question is, can Marbury play the two and let Duhon play the one. Old habits die hard sometimes... when you are the floor general for 4 years you may need some transition to move out of that role. I expect us to have some problems at the beginning of the season until we can successfully make it work (if it does).

Duhon hasn't been spectacular this preseason, but he has held his own.

Otherwise, I rather have Marbury play the two right now instead of Crawford. Crawford looks awful. And despite Crawford being taller, Marbury plays much much better defense.

I would even to go as far and say Marbury play the one and Robinson play the two. Robinson still plays better D then Crawford.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I agree and its not just because Im a member of team starbury. Duhon has proved that hes better then crawford. We already knew marbury was better then him. Crawfords defense is non existant. I was gonna make a thread about this yesterday (before i saw this article) but i didnt get around to it. Marburys proved before he can do a very good job of guarding 2 guards. Hes still a point guard, just one that can score too. Like Chris Paul but not that good.

metrocard

Legend
Marbury is excellent at defense at the two, he seems to be at a disadvantage against fast PG's...He shut down dudes like Ray Allen easily before.

Duhon/Marbury is a good 1/2 punch, since Crawford looks like a kid lost in a mall in D'Antoni's offense.

I like this move...even though both of these guys shouldn't be our future back court.

Atleast we got the forward positions set with

Pointforward - Gallinari
Smallforward - Chandler
Powerforward - Lee

Just need that PG and C for the future.

portega1968

El Cacique
I definitely want to see Duhon and Stephon in the backcourt. I think it's time that Jamal takes a seat. When Duhon goes to the bench, have Nate or Mardy move to the PG.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Crawford is, and will always be, a bench player. Even Larry Brown knew this.

I haven't been able to watch a lot of preseason, but it sounds like the starting lineup should be: Duhon, Mebury, Chandler, Lee and Zach. With Nate, Q and Crawford coming off the bench.

moneyg

Starter

I haven't been able to watch a lot of preseason, but it sounds like the starting lineup should be: Duhon, Mebury, Chandler, Lee and Zach. With Nate, Q and Crawford coming off the bench.

i totally agree with this. crawford needs to come off the bench. he will be better against second tier players. sit q and start wilson. this kid keeps showing me something new every game. can u imagine having him and lebron at the 3 and 4

:smokin:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
i totally agree with this. crawford needs to come off the bench. he will be better against second tier players. sit q and start wilson. this kid keeps showing me something new every game. can u imagine having him and lebron at the 3 and 4

:smokin:

I've been thinking a lot about the whole Lebron thing lately. I would love to get Lebron, but I'm not so sure he should be the one we pursue in 2010. If Chandler turns out to be the special player we all think he will become, and Gallo can stay healthy and become the player I think he will become, and Lee continues to be the player he is, we will be set at the forward positions for a long time. D-Wade or Chris Bosh may be the wiser choice. We desperately need a legit Center with shot-blocking skills. Chris Bosh may be that player.

A lineup of:

PG-Rubio
SG-Chandler
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Bosh

or

PG-Rubio
SG-Wade
SF-Chandler
PF-Gallo
C-Lee

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac

lol, not bad, but not true. I liked stanburys better, forgot which poster made that one up. I think it was that poster with the name that was swagger jackin the kid from a bronx tale.

Mebury has been teambury in the preseason. He had 6 assists in 16 minutes last night. He hasnt looked to shoot much, hes been lookin to play within the team system.

portega1968

El Cacique
I've been thinking a lot about the whole Lebron thing lately. I would love to get Lebron, but I'm not so sure he should be the one we pursue in 2010. If Chandler turns out to be the special player we all think he will become, and Gallo can stay healthy and become the player I think he will become, and Lee continues to be the player he is, we will be set at the forward positions for a long time. D-Wade or Chris Bosh may be the wiser choice. We desperately need a legit Center with shot-blocking skills. Chris Bosh may be that player.

A lineup of:

PG-Rubio
SG-Chandler
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Bosh

or

PG-Rubio
SG-Wade
SF-Chandler
PF-Gallo
C-Lee

Although Wade seems more fragile than Lebron, to me he's more of a clutch player and is the one I'd like to have in 2010.

Rubio will be a force in this league, but thinking the Knicks will be able to get him in the draft seems very far-fetched.

On the other hand, ya'll see Marc Berman's article on Stephon maybe starting today? He definitely has his sights on Crawford now after that blog by Jamal!!!

Props to Stephon for walking the line and proving he's ready to rumble this year.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
Trade away all Knicks player for Lorborn James but keep daved lee then take 3 kid form high schools to pass rock to them then oh what is tyhis in the mail? oh is champonship ring lerbron james MVP of knick, wheer is edy curry? oh he is in denver nuget 630 pound in weight tehy need forklift to take fat ass of him off off bench

:teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:
Trade away all Knicks player for Lorborn James but keep daved lee then take 3 kid form high schools to pass rock to them then oh what is tyhis in the mail? oh is champonship ring lerbron james MVP of knick, wheer is edy curry? oh he is in denver nuget 630 pound in weight tehy need forklift to take fat ass of him off off bench

Kiyaman

Legend
Starting Marbury with Duhorn is not a good move.
It will take the explosiveness of Nate Robinson out of the offense if Nate have to play alongside of Bum Crawful off the bench.

We have witness this preseason that Dantoni's "seven second" system plan is only well performed consistently when Marbury & Nate are on the court together.
The bad blood between Crawful & Nate tandem showed last season in their performance and is still showing in these preseason games.

dre48ny

Rotation player

A lineup of:

PG-Rubio
SG-Chandler
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Bosh

or

PG-Rubio
SG-Wade
SF-Chandler
PF-Gallo
C-Lee

It will be hard to get Rubio if the Knicks improve but what about:

PG-Rubio
SG-Chandler
SF-LeBron
PF-Gallo
C-Lee

richtree

Rotation player
From Rotoworld

NBA_Crawford_small.jpg

Jamal Crawford will come off the bench so that Stephon Marbury can start at shooting guard on Tuesday.

This is not an October Fool's joke. The Knicks coaching staff is not pleased with Crawford's game on either end of the floor, while Crawford may be pouting about the measley seven shots per game he's getting. They know they can't trade Marbury, so if he'll play defense, he could win the starting SG job and play alongside Chris Duhon. Oct. 21 - 12:20 pm et
Source: New York Daily News

I just like the way Steph and Nate having been playing together...and for that fact Mardy Collins as well.....I know you will think I am nuts but Mardy has brought more to the table then JC so far....

Finally, JC gets a wake up call...he needs to work on his game (and get his weight up)

NBA_Crawford_small.jpg

Finally, JC gets a wake up call...he needs to work on his game (and get his weight up)

This dude never improves his game. Won't go to the rack, and is too inconsistent a shooter to just sit back and hoist. And now it appears he can't simply move without the ball in an offense that if he caught the slightest clue, he could thrive in.

I used to be a big fan of his game. He's just wack now to me.

its crazy that no one seems to understand that marburys not starting because of his attitude, not because he cant play

he's always been able to play,thats the reason he was brought in to be the star of the team....this article brings up the point (and a good one at that), if you put marbury back in the starting line up, he gets the big head again, and he starts thinking only for himself. its also kinda entertaining how team starbury turns all analytical when a pro-steph starting article drops, like they cant see a good side and a bad side to dude...i get the obvious game thats goin on between the "haters" and the fans of marbury or whatever ya'll got goin, but atleast acknowledge when your boy has downfalls. he cant be trusted in the past year or two at ALL, and unfortunately, thats what our team needs right now, is to be able to trust EVERYONE on the team. marbury can be trusted in 16 min's to play extremely well,he's proved that this off season, but can his EGO handle being on the court for 35+ and still play with a TEAM...and NOT..just as team starbury...

also kinda funny how team starbury here takes on the same attitude as he does "YALL HATERS, GET OFF MAH D1CK, WHO ELSE U GONNA GET TO PLAY PG?! LOOK AT THE STATS,ILL PRAY FOR YALL"

look at his championships, and the ammt of times he's been dumped off and what happens to said team after,etc. I'm FAR from a Marbury hater, but im not gonna sit back and stick up for a dude that obviously has issues that yesmen cant see, and im not gonna throw dude under the bus. make him play for his contract just like everyone else, and if he cant play the way the team needs him to, then he's gone, bottom line, no excuses from either side.

so in the end, i say, if they let him start, and he pulls the same me first mentality, then repeat process and push him back on the bench...that bein said, he IS our best pg right now and he IS in top shape, if we're lookin at shipping him out anytime soon, why not give him a few weeks, month, whatever to try to prove that he's finally taken the step as a real team leader, on and off the floor...

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
Starting Marbury with Duhorn is not a good move.
It will take the explosiveness of Nate Robinson out of the offense if Nate have to play alongside of Bum Crawful off the bench.

We have witness this preseason that Dantoni's "seven second" system plan is only well performed consistently when Marbury & Nate are on the court together.
The bad blood between Crawful & Nate tandem showed last season in their performance and is still showing in these preseason games.
i agree i mean i kinda of want Marbury to come off the bench...i mean i see him and nate play together and Nate is doing this good because of Stephon if we put Steph in the starting line up Nate and Crawford are both going to be fighting for shots and we wont be as explosive as we are off the bench...i love the idea of Stephon going up against the other teams bench...who cares if you guys like him were doing good with him off the bench y change that? i wouldent mind him starting but nate has 2 be in the starting line up but EVERYONE knows nate is alot better coming off the bench...i have no problem with the rotation Mike is using i just rather start Chandler over Richardson our ratation should be

David Lee
Zach Randolph
Wilson Chandler
Jamal Crawford -_-
Chris Duhon

and bench Stephon Nate Mardy...really small line up but it will get the job done and q and curry when ever we need them lol