Knicks looking for guard depth

metrocard

Legend
If a Knicks roster spot opens up this week with either Cuttino Mobley's retirement or the release of Stephon Marbury, president Donnie Walsh said the Knicks have two trade exceptions to use to obtain a shooting guard through a deal.

The Knicks can trade the exception to another team for a player making the salary of what the trade exception is worth. It is believed the exception is in the $1 million range, which means the player would have to be making in the minimum-wage vicinity.

Nevertheless, it gives the Knicks more options than signing a D-League shooting guard. On Dec. 15, teams can trade the rookie contracts of the players they drafted last summer. If a team is looking to shed one of its second-round picks or late first rounders, the Knicks would be in position to get that player. Walsh said the club has been reviewing the rosters of teams.

The Knicks gained one exception from the Renaldo Balkman trade over the summer and gained a second exception in the Mobley/Tim Thomas deal in which the Knicks gave up Mardy Collins and Zach Randolph.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12082008/sports/knicks/knicks_in_hunt_for_guard_143130.htm

LJ4ptplay

Starter
so it's pretty certain to say Houston isn't coming back then.

Yeah, Houston aint happening. There is talk of signing Sergio Rodriguez and Patrick Ewing Jr. I like both signings. Rodriguez would give Duhon some much needed backup/rest and is the type of PG that D'Antoni likes. I like Ewing Jr, maybe he can provide some defense and shot-blocking in the post. I would prefer Sean Williams but I could live with Ewing Jr. I just don't like signings based on nostalgia. I wonder if NJ would be willing to do a Roberson for Williams trade?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we could do a roberson for williams trade that sounds good....but when we release _____ and Mobley retires we'll have 2 open spots i want Ewing Jr back and and Quincy Douby(Brooklyn baby!) they will both do good although Rodriquez will be good cause he's more of a point gaurd but either one will be great off the bench and give Duhon some rest....and Ewing Jr will be perfect for us on the defensive end and plays hustle ball whenever he's on the floor

New New York

Quiet Storm
Fred Jones to the rescue!

D.Nichols is still out there lets get him on the roster, I want my rep points Kiya!

no really we should give him a 10 day to see how he fits with the team, I cant imagine Anthony Robertson being that much better than him.

What about my man Fred Jones!

I think Fred Jones would do real good in this offense, and it's not like it would take him all that long to learn his new teamates! And ofcourse Donnie Walsh knows him, I think that is the most logical choice really!

Hey Metro insert a poll into this Thread to vote on who we should use to fill the void

jpz17

Starter
is it possible to trade with that Italian team to get Rubio?? Because MLB can do it. Darrel Rasner got traded to Japan team (mad about it) for almost nothing

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I think we should trade jerome james for dwayne wade.

*face turns red, as everyone stops talkin and stares at me*

:redface:

My pick would be allan houston

Wololo

Rookie
Sergio Rodriguez is my favourite, he could be a great fit in D'Antoni system like a poor version of Jason Williams. He is still young and can be to improve their skills with a great coach like Mike.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Well, the Knicks do have Starbury. How about letting him get some playing time? :pimp:

act_stephon_marbury.jpg

2x All Star
Career averages of 19.7 points and 7.8 assists
1 Bronze Medal
4 playoff appearances

What do you say?

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Well, the Knicks do have Starbury. How about letting him get some playing time? :pimp:

act_stephon_marbury.jpg

2x All Star
1 Bronze Medal
4 playoff appearances

What do you say?
they asked him to play
he said no
marbury played his last game as a knick =[
i liked him

KBlack25

Starter

act_stephon_marbury.jpg

2x All Star
1 Bronze Medal
4 playoff appearances

What do you say?

No. Both sides have made it abundantly clear this is not an option. Get the Stephon talk outta here.

GetRealistic

Starter

act_stephon_marbury.jpg

2x All Star
1 Bronze Medal
4 playoff appearances

What do you say?

As a Marbury supporter i think i'd play down the fact he won a bronze medal. That team was one of the greatest failures in US sports history. Lebron, Melo, Wade, and Bosh all got the opportunity to redeem themselves. And that team is the only black eye on the great career of Tim Duncan.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Can Mobley make up his mind already?? I don't understand why he needs more doctor's opinions. He knows he has a bad heart, he's known that his entire career. He's mulling over retirement, meanwhile the Knicks are playing only 7 players and desperately need some help/relief.

And can we just buy out Mebury already? This is getting tiresome. Just give him his $22 mil. The greedy little prick isn't going to take anything less (as if he hasn't made enough money already). We need to fill his empty roster spot.

With the 2 open spots (hopefully soon), sign Sergio Rodriguez and Ewing Jr. Then trade Roberson to NJ for Sean Williams.

PG-Duhon
SG-Chandler
SF-Harrington
PF-Lee
C-Williams

w/ Nate, Rodriguez, Q Rich, Tim Thomas and Jeffires off the bench. That's not that bad, and could potentially make the playoffs this year.

TunerAddict

Starter
Wait...Why should we pay Steph 22million? Hasn't he already been paid part of his contract so far for this year? So it should be less, right?

No. Both sides have made it abundantly clear this is not an option. Get the Stephon talk outta here.
CLEVELAND - Banned Stephon Marbury Stephon Marbury
t.gif
said yesterday he is no longer willing to negotiate a buyout and either wants to be released
or be told to rejoin the team to play

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12042008/sports/knicks/marbury__waive_me_or_play_me__now_142578.htm

Correction: One side has made it abundantly clear this is not an option.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Fred Jones for Prez

I'd like to take this opportunity to break up another Marbaury fight to say this.....bring back Fred Jones!

Where the hell is Steve Francis, I know he is with Houston but is there a reason he isnt playing? Why not give him a shot for one year at the vet minimum?

WiL8000

Rotation player
I'd like to see the Knicks go for Bibby, I've always liked his game. Aren't the Hawks looking to get rid of his contract? Not sure on that one, but he's a great balance of distribution and scoring which would fit D'Antoni's system like a glove.

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
I'd like to take this opportunity to break up another Marbaury fight to say this.....bring back Fred Jones!

Where the hell is Steve Francis, I know he is with Houston but is there a reason he isnt playing? Why not give him a shot for one year at the vet minimum?

ya Fred Jones was great lol. i liked him. and i don't think there's a reason Stevey franchise isn't playing. i think the rockets just don't need him.