Resigning Lee isn't so bad.

metrocard

Legend
Check out the list of NBA's top rebounders in 2008-09 + their draft #, and their yearly salary.

1. Dwight Howard (#1 pick, 2004) - 13.6 RPG (13.8 mil)
2. Marcus Camby (#2 pick, 1996) - 13.5 RPG (8 mil)
3. Andris Biedrins (#11 pick, 2004) - 11.9 RPG (9 mil)
4. Troy Murphy (#14 pick, 2001) - 11.8 RPG (10.1 mil)
5. David Lee (#30 pick, 2005) - 11 RPG (1.7 mil)
6. Emeka Okafor (#2 pick, 2004) - 11 RPG (9.5 mil)
7. Andrew Bogut (#1 pick, 2005) - 10.5 RPG (6.2 mil)*
8. Al Jefferson (#15 pick, 2004) - 10.4 RPG (11 mil)
9. Tim Duncan (#1 pick, 1997) - 10.3 RPG (20.6 mil)
10. Chris Bosh (#4 pick, 2003) - 9.8 RPG (14.4 mil)
tied with Yao Ming (#1 pick, 2002) - 9.8 RPG (15 mil)

*I believe Bogut is still in his rookie contract? Whatever.

I'm not saying Lee is an all star, but he's good enough for 6-8 million.

KBlack25

Starter
Yeah, I mean statistically it's clear that an 8 mil or so contract for Lee is more than fair and likely wouldn't damage us too bad in the long run. I like Lee, but part of me worries that he's never going to be any better than he is right now. He's not an all-star in all likelihood (though with fan-voting, you never know...it's just a popularity contest). I'm all for signing D-Lee to an 8-9 mil contract but they need to be smart. Nothing too long term, avoid player options unless you get a big-time discount, and make sure that this contract is tradeable. I know that some people on this board would hate a D-Lee trade (and some would welcome it), I just personally think that you should not box yourself into a player (with a few exceptions - LeBron, CP3, the top quality players you can box yourself into). Boxing yourself into a player that isn't a top tier superstar almost always works negatively (see: Allan Houston). Look at Steph's contract this year, had it been in the least bit tradeable, the Knicks would have been long rid of the headache, but it's not. Keeping flexibility, in my opinion, is going to be absolutely critical.

Hit it right on the Head!

Check out the list of NBA's top rebounders in 2008-09 + their draft #, and their yearly salary.

F-ing great post Metro :thumbsup:

Toons

is the Bo$$

good find metro...now u c what im saying. 6-8 fa sure sign him, 8-10, think about it twice....thats all im saying

it's not. like I've said before, we don't need two free agents.duhon doesn't look bad at the point, wilson is improving and could be an all star by next year, gallo could be something too...

clumsy

Rotation player
Since Zach Randolph left he's been putting up like 15 and 12 on the nightly basis. However I don't think he's better than Camby or Okefor or Biedrins.

Maybe we could get him for 7

clumsy

Rotation player
anything from 6-8 is good for me

would you sign him for 10? cuz i wouldn't. And because of that....this is why it is probably better we trade him now. Looking back at the camby trade as is, it is a dumb trade and doesn't really help us for the future. Whoever said it is right, we need to package lee with curry.

Toons

is the Bo$$
would you sign him for 10? cuz i wouldn't. And because of that....this is why it is probably better we trade him now. Looking back at the camby trade as is, it is a dumb trade and doesn't really help us for the future. Whoever said it is right, we need to package lee with curry.

did u not see my parameters?? 6-8

meaning 6 is the lowest, and 8 is the highest

and your logic is, if he is WORTH 10 mil, he should be traded? why do humans want everything for free? a good player like lee will come at a cost. we owe lee if u ask me, he didnt ask to be drafted in the isiah thomas era.....imagine going through what he goes through. silly humans

Toons

is the Bo$$
and eddy curry does not need to be packaged, that is a 7 foot, 300 + lbs lane clogger. sources from portland say theat they would do anything for a big man to clog the lane. if you think curry has ZERO value, ur retarded. We all feel he sucks, yea, he does, but he can put up 20 ppg and 6 rebs consistently

WVKnickfan

Rotation player

Hell yeah I would sign him for 10 mill b/c he deserves it more than any other player on this team does.He shows up EVERYNIGHT plays his butt off and has the stats to prove it.We owe Lee bigtime!!!

clumsy

Rotation player
Boozer is opting out in Utah and Millsap is up for Contract. Lee's market value is going to be proportional to whatever Milsap makes. Milsap is a 10 mil a year player because he also plays D.

Our risk is that Lee will want 10 mil also. And i guarentee you there is a team out there that gives him that. I hope it's not NY.

clumsy

Rotation player
I don't believe any team wants eddy curry straight up unless they give us their bad contracts.....post '10 ones. I don't see how any GM would covet a player who has a track record now of failing twice....

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Boozer is opting out in Utah and Millsap is up for Contract. Lee's market value is going to be proportional to whatever Milsap makes. Milsap is a 10 mil a year player because he also plays D.

Our risk is that Lee will want 10 mil also. And i guarentee you there is a team out there that gives him that. I hope it's not NY.

Well it will be NY's lost and somebody elses HUGE gain.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look if we can give him a handshake agreement to sign him for 8- 10 million the year after next and he stays on for the Qualifying offer next season -ala Ben Gordon- then yeah we can give him that much.

The question is not if Lee is worth it or not because that fact that just about every GM in The League wants him says it all . The question is if resigning Lee is worth jeprodizing landing two major FA's in 2010. Now if we sign D. Lee and land an Amare or a Chris Bosh in 2010 I could live w/ that I suppose. But, the Knicks are in position to make moves that could make us a good team for years to come so Donnie has to be careful in how he handles this one. Lets just say 2010 comes and we couldve had two players like Joe Johnson and Dirk, but had to settle for just one of them, would we really be eased by that fact because we have David Lee?

Look I loved Charles Oakley, but if The Knicks had a chance to grab Charles Barkley by cutting ties with Oak then sorry Oak it's just buisness