Knicks Buying Picks?

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/190736-knicks-to-pick-twice-in-the-first-round

Well one (and probably the only) benefit to having Jimmy Dolan as our owner is his never ending pockets. And it appears that Donnie is now prepared to use this luxary to get us another pick in this year's draft. It looks the pick could be as low as an 18th pick and BJ Mullins who is a player I like, (but ofcourse not enough to use the 8th pick on) is thought to be there. I think selecting him with a pick that only cost us some cash is a low risk high reward sort of move. I think we should have made a such move for DeAndre Jordan last year, and this would be a good idea this year.

Mullins has a huge potential for bust, but ofcourse has the makings to be everything we need. But to get an idea of his bust potential just peep his strengths v. Weakness

Strengths
<TABLE class=bluelist width=175><TBODY><TR><TD> Scoring instincts</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Ability to establish position in post</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Excellent hands</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Excellent Touch</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Huge upside</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Ability to finish around basket</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Ability to run the floor</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Athleticism</TD></TR><TR><TD>- NBA body

Weakness
<TABLE class=bluelist width=175><TBODY><TR><TD>All-around offensive polish</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Turnover prone</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Ability to put ball on floor</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Advanced post moves</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Commitment to playing defense</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Defensive awareness</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Defensive fundamentals</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Man to man defense</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Off-ball defense</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Basketball IQ</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Doesn't always play hard</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Experience</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Focus</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Likelihood of reaching potential</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Not ready to contribute immediately</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Questionable intangibles</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Work ethic</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Got by on instincts at college level</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Not productive enough</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Assist to turnover ratio</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Passing skills</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Average rebounder</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Free throw shooting</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Jump-shot</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Can you say D League!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sorry to say this, but as a OSU student, having seen Mullins play many many times and meeting him personally, I would stay FAR AWAY

For one, hes kinda a personality issue waiting to happen
#2, hes horrible offensively.
It would take him an easy 3-4 years to just understand how to play in the pros. He is so scared whenever he gets the ball and is so nervous.

Hes a horrid horrid rebounder who is not very aggressive and he has no post moves at all. Hes very limited, such as Greg Oden was.

Hes not even worth the risk at #18. He will never be very good, and if he is, it will never be more then an average role player.

Hes just not phyiscaly tough enough and gets manhandled sometimes

Blas

Benchwarmer
BJ Mullins does have a lot of faults; however he is still young and he would be a project. Being so young gives him the chance to improve.

His draft stock is raising lately. From scouting reports they have been more impressed with him.

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him.

If we get a pick as late as 18th:

1) I would like to take a chance on Tyler. I know a lot of people hate on him and he knows it. I think that chip on his shoulder makes him play even better. I really do not think he will be a bust. This guy WINS. He has the right attitude, and he gets it done regardless of his deficiencies.

2) Sam Young - Guy is an excellent defender. He is like Taz but with more offense.

3) Nick Calathes - I am very high on this kid. It would be a reach to get him at 18, I think Donnie would be stupid to do so; however I would still do it.

There isn't too much from 18 or below that impresses me, but if we can get Blair (through getting a higher pick or he falls to us) somehow I think it would be good. I do not like the guy, and I think he will be a bust, but when I try to look at it from an objective point of view, he has been impressive. I am not saying this guy will be a star, but I think he definitely can be solid. Again, from an attempted objective point of view.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Sorry to say this, but as a OSU student, having seen Mullins play many many times and meeting him personally, I would stay FAR AWAY

For one, hes kinda a personality issue waiting to happen
#2, hes horrible offensively.
It would take him an easy 3-4 years to just understand how to play in the pros. He is so scared whenever he gets the ball and is so nervous.

Hes a horrid horrid rebounder who is not very aggressive and he has no post moves at all. Hes very limited, such as Greg Oden was.

Hes not even worth the risk at #18. He will never be very good, and if he is, it will never be more then an average role player.

Hes just not phyiscaly tough enough and gets manhandled sometimes

Interesting...I have to admit I am a bit leary of a player who by all accounts had a bad freshman campaign and decides to go pro anyways. My concern is that the dude could realize that this is the highest his stock will ever be. With all that said, it's still a low risk to pick this kid up w/ a lower first round pick, provided we draft intelligently with the first pick.

Now, there is nothing that would suggest that Dantoni can bring out the potential in a big man, but he would be a great player to stash in the D League for atleast a year and see what it gets us. Could be Chris Kaman could be Kwame so says the scouting report, but, Kwame would still be like the 3rd best low post player on our current roster, so why not!

Again its our first pick that we must be precise on. Now ofcourse Mullins can not be the only player we are considering at the 18th slot (if we get it), I imagine there has to be at least two or three players if Donnie is looking to pay 3 millie for it plus the player's annual salary, so we still need to make sure Mullins isnt the 09 Fredric Weis (wow that draft was exactly 10 years ago!) and make a smart pick and not just throw caution to the wind.

He went pro because hes broke.
He was in and out of foster homes his entire life.

Someone who went to HS with him told me he was always trying to get money somehow

ANU

Starter
you may very well be right cracker jack.but the thing about mullens is, he's an explosive, 7 FOOTER.when do you ever here that? with a second pick in the teens, mullens could be the steal of the century; on the other hand, he may end up being just a kid who never put it together.we get a second pick, that's the guy you try and get, no ifs and or buts about it...

this team has to some how get a young big whether it's mullens or jordan.before this season, how many people thought dwight howard was still raw? i know i did.he's still polishing his game.he's 23.mullens is 20, and jordan is 20.

centers take time and care to developed; but when you have one, you're glad you do.

New New York

Quiet Storm
you may very well be right cracker jack.but the thing about mullens is, he's an explosive, 7 FOOTER.when do you ever here that? with a second pick in the teens, mullens could be the steal of the century; on the other hand, he may end up being just a kid who never put it together.we get a second pick, that's the guy you try and get, no ifs and or buts about it...

this team has to some how get a young big whether it's mullens or jordan.before this season, how many people thought dwight howard was still raw? i know i did.he's still polishing his game.he's 23.mullens is 20, and jordan is 20.

centers take time and care to developed; but when you have one, you're glad you do.

I agree 100% Anu! Look if you draft Mullens with the thinking that he is going to be an instant contributor than be prepared to be disappointed he just isnt a finished product, but that is exactly why Stern created the D-League, and an explosive non-D playing 7ft player sounds just like a Dantoni center! Just playin -kinda-, guards come a dime a dozen, a team can recover from not drafting the best PG available, albiet it might haunt them on some "what if we had" forever -see Atlanta passing on CP3 and Deron Williams- but you can get over it by trading for or signing a solid veteren PG, passing on a game changing big man -see New York passing on Amare- it is much much harder to recover from that.

Look Sean Williams isnt working out in NJ, but no one can doubt why New Jersey drafted him, even if they passed on better players like Wilson Chandler and Rudy Fernandez. But Washington taking Nick Young over any of those 3 just looks dumb, reason being is that players like Nick Young are available every draft and every off season.

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/191508-knicks-should-look-at-daye

Or is this why The Knicks are looking to buy picks?
Projected to be a Hedo Turk. type, making this somewhat monotonous being that is what Gallo is projected to be. But...the NBA draft Mantra is to draft the best player first and worry about actually need for that player next.

But this could be the two or three players The Knicks are thinking about in Doniie wanting to buy another pick.

metrocard

Legend
Stay away from potential.

Obtain guys work ethic.

Daye is soft...he's not athletic at all...seriously. He has a nice shot, but doesn't have Hedo's agility...or offensive awareness. Daye has been a bust at Gonzaga...even their fans can't stand him because he plays with an arrogrance.

I rather have Gibson from USC...sleeper pick. 6"11 PF/C really athletic, has shot blocking ability...post moves that weren't utilized enough in USC and can rebound. Great replacement for Lee, or even a filler at center.

GetRealistic

Starter
I'm alright with taking a flyer on Daye. But i obviously would want to take him with the 8th pick and more then likely wouldn't want to take him with a pick in the teens. But if he slipped into the 20's and we could obtain a pick i'd be willing to take him with the knowledge he wouldn't contribute for 3 years.

Skilled 6'10 guys are a big thing in the NBA now. Look at Hedo and Rashard Lewis

metrocard

Legend
I'm alright with taking a flyer on Daye. But i obviously would want to take him with the 8th pick and more then likely wouldn't want to take him with a pick in the teens. But if he slipped into the 20's and we could obtain a pick i'd be willing to take him with the knowledge he wouldn't contribute for 3 years.

Skilled 6'10 guys are a big thing in the NBA now. Look at Hedo and Rashard Lewis

I don't see why we should follow the big thing...who did Orlando follow?

I hope this doesn't into the NFL and becomes a copy cat league.

In terms of sucess, Knicks have to build their own strength and make it dominant.

We can't copy another's teams style because we don't have those players, nor the chemistry.

We gotta take what we work and work on the strength.

Orlando doesn't have a true PF.

What they do?

Move Lewis to the 4 and spread the floor to utilize their strengths.

Besides the Hornets who play Green at the 3...and Wizards who play Jamison at the 4...the league isn't really following the trend of hybrid fowards....well Dirk came into the league as a SF...so did Gasol, but they're primarly PF's.

We talk about Jamison, Gasol, Lewis, Dirk, Green....these are some elite talents.

Daye has been under the Bulldogs for two years and never really produced to expectation, especially the West Coast conference isn't THAT strong like the ACC or Big East.

Plus, Daye is 6"11 and 192 lbs....really frail.

STRENGTHS:
- Excellent skill-level
- Mismatch Potential
- Scoring instincts
- Timing
- Ability to put ball on floor
- Excellent hands
- Excellent Touch
- Finesse
- Ability to contest shots
- Shot-blocking tools
- Potential
- Basketball instincts
- Ability to finish around basket
- Coordination
- Size for position
- Wingspan
- Defensive rebounding
- 3-point range
- 3-point shooting percentages
- Ability to catch and shoot
- Ability to shoot off the dribble
- Shooting mechanics

Weaknesses
- Ability to get to free throw line
- Inability to establish position in post
- Ability to defend position at next level?
- Ability to fight through screens
- Foul prone
- Gets backed down in post
- Lateral quickness
- Avoids contact
- Body language
- Maturity
- Mental/Physical toughness?
- Bad knees?
- Ability to finish through contact
- Average athleticism
- Core strength
- Frail frame
- Lacks explosiveness
- Lower body strength
- Strength
- Slow release

iono.

I wouldn't be mad if we took him with a pick we bought.

But definately not with the 8th.