More Trade Talk on T-Mac

Scribbles

Rotation player
Alan Hahn Blogs on what could be dealt...

Best Knicks Blog/Beatwriter out there in my opinon...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/

[This has been floating around for a while now, but it clearly will pick up steam now that it's reached Jonathan Givony's desk.]

The playoff success of the Houston Rockets without Tracy McGrady has made the injury-plagued all-star expendable. With one year and $23.2M left on his deal -- plus the baggage he brings with him as a high-maintenance personality -- there are few teams that can afford to bring him in. The Knicks, obviously, are one.

Several persons with knowledge of the situation have said the Knicks would strongly consider McGrady, even as a one-year mercenary. The two could use each other: McGrady wants another mega-deal before free agency in 2010 and should be motivated to be in the best shape of his life for this coming season. And his number comes off the cap in 2010, so if it doesn't work out, the committment is short and does not impact the long-term plan.

Of course if it does, the Knicks would have to strongly consider re-signing him.
The Knicks could put together a package that would save the Rockets some money and include a veteran shooting guard with an expiring contract -- Larry Hughes ($13.6M) -- along with Cuttino Mobley's 80-percent insured $9.5M deal. Mobley could then officially retire with the team that drafted him (and originally knew about his heart condition). Call it full circle.

McGrady is working out with Tim Grover in Chicago. Grover is Michael Jordan's trainer who also helped get Dwyane Wade back to MVP status this season. Grover, of course, also had Eddy Curry in his stable so, you know . . .
In Mike D'Antoni's system, I can see McGrady as a point guard/point forward. Seriously. You could play him at the one and run pick-and-rolls that no one would be able to defend. Surround him with shooters and keep the ball moving. Get McGrady out on the open floor and push the ball. On defense, his long arms will help on the perimeter, though help defense will be critical and that's something the Knicks still lack, especially on the interior.

Speaking of which, Starberman promoted today's workout invitee, Jordan Hill, as a Knicks target. It's sort of like how I hoped Jessica Simpson would have fallen to me after Nick Lachey let her go a few years back. Even Givony says Hill won't make it past No. 7, where the Golden State Warriors could use him next to Andris Biedrins. Fixer buddy Marcus Thompson of the Contra Costa Times says Hill was told by Don Nelson if he's on the board at No. 7, the Warriors will likely take him.

That's good news for the Knicks, because it means at least one of the top guards they have worked out -- Stephen Curry, Jrue Holiday, Brandon Jennings, et al -- still there for the taking.
Lots of rumors percolating....
For that price, shoot.....I'd do it in a heartbeat even if he does miss the first 2-3 months of the season....

What's the risk?

pat

Starter
The risk is that him getting playing time might hinder young players' development.