AI aka Iverson in Memphis

Kiyaman

Legend
Memphis is stacking-up their Stadium with FANS this season with.....

C-Gasol
PF-Zach
SF-Gay
SG-Mayo
and playoff bound ALL-STAR Allan Iverson (the 4th quarter Killer)

C-Gasol
PF-Zach
SF-Gay
SG-Mayo

This team will win 30 games this year.

I am sorry but AI will play 66 gms and avg 23 ppg

Mayo will not get his shots therefore he will not play defense

Rudy Gay will have an improved all around season, but scoring will dip.

Zach will put up double double numbers but has no defense

And Gasol isnt ready to take the next step in the western conference as a legit 5.

playoff bound i dont think so

they are not better than

lakers
blazers
hornets
spurs
nuggets
Jazz
Suns
Mavs
Rockets
I see them being the 10th best team in the west
I know the Rockets are with out ming and tmac
but I just have a good feeling about adelmans coaching ability and
what the rockets did as a team defensively last year in the playoffs.
One game away from the western conference finals is no joke

Kiyaman

Legend
With Star-Mayo and Super-Star-Gay, I believe AI is going to pull an Earl the Pearl Monroe in Memphis, and only score in the 4th quarter.
Something about this signing says AI is going to make Memphis a playoff team for a very long time.

Houston and Phoenix is out of the playoff box in the West.
Iverson, Gay, and Zach is in.

We had a 50-50 chance on beating Memphis with just an angry Zach, but with AI driving to the hoop throughout the 4th quarter we dont have a chance in hell of winning one game vs Memphis this season.

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, everyone knows a bunch of ball-hogging, no defense, cancerous players=playoffs. AI and Z-Bo on the same team...I would be surprised if the Grizzlies average more than 2 assists a game.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Who cares? I did not want AI on this team. I don't necessarily think he is a cancer, but he isn't exactly a pass first guard. And yes, i know I'm overstating the obvious.

Oh well. Let's just resign Lee and Nate already. That's all i care about right now.

johnstarky

Rotation player

C-Gasol
PF-Zach
SF-Gay
SG-Mayo

That group looks a lot like the group that Isiah Thomas coached a couple of years ago.Do you think that Iverson and Randolph will allow each other to hold the basketball for more than 40 minutes? Even if AI was in his prime I don't think that those are the right players for him to be on a team with.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Who cares? I did not want AI on this team. I don't necessarily think he is a cancer, but he isn't exactly a pass first guard. And yes, i know I'm overstating the obvious.

Oh well. Let's just resign Lee and Nate already. That's all i care about right now.

You're a part of the minority of Knick fans that didn't want AI on the Knicks and I agree with you that AI is not a player that would fit well with the Knicks.I don't understand the big hype surrounding this guy.His best days are far behind him and he should be playing for a team that is built to win a championship.

JayJ44

Starter
That group looks a lot like the group that Isiah Thomas coached a couple of years ago.Do you think that Iverson and Randolph will allow each other to hold the basketball for more than 40 minutes? Even if AI was in his prime I don't think that those are the right players for him to be on a team with.

You're completely right. When he was on the Sixers and they went to the finals, he was surrounded by defensive role players who took very little shots. Which is pretty much the opposite of Zach Randolph. Another stupid thing about this signing, it might hinder the growth of Mayo and their other young players. It makes absolutely zero sense.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Its alright though, its memphis. The only thing better would have been if the wolves signed AI. Oh man, the things we would say....

johnstarky

Rotation player
You're completely right. When he was on the Sixers and they went to the finals, he was surrounded by defensive role players who took very little shots. Which is pretty much the opposite of Zach Randolph. Another stupid thing about this signing, it might hinder the growth of Mayo and their other young players. It makes absolutely zero sense.

It is about time that a team other than the Knicks signed players that have talent but have poor defensive capability and little team chemistry.I'm not knocking what Iverson has accomplished throughout his career but he would of been a disaster with the Knicks.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
easier said than done but technically they can all average 20ppg

i dont think AI has ever played with this much talent, so the offense should be hot all game

defense i dunno, and i actually see rudy gay being the only one having a problem with getting enough touches, but to me he's not a scorer anyway and a very inefficient one at the moment. he should be working on defense, not only ppg increases

but honestly teams are gonna have a handful, even LA, and u know they're gonna be fun to watch so they can't be that bad projectively

Kiyaman

Legend
Raising this season market from being reduce the following season

This signing makes alot of sense in so many areas............

Right now, it looks like Memphis made the right pick in the draft after all by selecting the quick learning project "Thabeet" for his outstanding defense, shot-blocking, and rebounding to become a future rotation partner with "Mark Gasol" holding down Memphis center-position for the next 4 years.
The kicker of it all is the 20-10 Big Body in the paint Zach Randolph whom have something to prove to the league for putting him on two losing teams will spend the next two seasons with Memphis putting up better stats then ex-Gasol did.

All-Star Allan Iverson driving to the hole in the 4th quarter, Super-Star Gay and Star Mayo somehow happen to be a step or two a better tandem than what AI had in "Melo & JR Smith" when he first arrived in Denver.
I'm only curious on how PG-Mike Conley will accept his role in Memphis now as Carter accepted his role in Denver when AI arrived.
Recall with AI Denver had 44, 45, and 50 win seasons.

What alot of people are not looking at is Memphis just did its role in bringing-up their market value to add more fans in the stadiums to see the Memphis Grizz this season....doing this helps the NBA salary-cap from being reduced in the 2010 offseason.
What have Donnie Walsh did to stop the reducing of the 2010-11 season NBA salary-cap from being reduced???

NOTHING!!!!!!

nyk_nyk

All Star

Right now, it looks like Memphis made the right pick in the draft after all by selecting the quick learning project "Thabeet" for his outstanding defense, shot-blocking, and rebounding to become a future rotation partner with "Mark Gasol" holding down Memphis center-position for the next 4 years.
The kicker of it all is the 20-10 Big Body in the paint Zach Randolph whom have something to prove to the league for putting him on two losing teams will spend the next two seasons with Memphis putting up better stats then ex-Gasol did.

All-Star Allan Iverson driving to the hole in the 4th quarter, Super-Star Gay and Star Mayo somehow happen to be a step or two a better tandem than what AI had in "Melo & JR Smith" when he first arrived in Denver.
I'm only curious on how PG-Mike Conley will accept his role in Memphis now as Carter accepted his role in Denver when AI arrived.

What alot of people are not looking at is Memphis just did its role in bringing-up their market value to add more fans in the stadiums to see the Memphis Grizz this season....doing this helps the NBA salary-cap from being reduced in the 2010 offseason.
What have Donnie Walsh did to stop the reducing of the 2010-11 season NBA salary-cap from being reduced???

NOTHING!!!!!!
I agree with everything you said except what I highlighted. Are you seriously comparing Melo/Smith to Gay/Mayo???? They aren't on that level yet and it they were a better tandem than they would have won more games last season. I'm not saying they aren't good, because they are. I just think your reaching with that comment.

JayJ44

Starter

NOTHING!!!!!!

Thabeet is obviously a bust. He got owned in summer league, which mostly consists of guys who won't make the NBA. Are you comparing Zach Randolph to Pau Gasol? If you are, that is ridiculous. Pau Gasol is one of the best big men in the league. He's an efficient scorer, a potent low post threat, and underrated defensively. Randolph shoots an extremely low percentage for a big man, plays no defense, and is a black whole on offense. He's a cancer.

nykway24

Rookie
I feel bad for Rudy Gay, just a couple of years ago he was the budding star of this team and i hope he still finds a way to stand out. but with the blackhole in zach posting up, the blackhole in A.I bringing the ball up, and O.J is still gonna find a way to get his shots up, i severely doubt it. He can always come to the Knicks thoo =)

Kiyaman

Legend
This offseason Memphis did better than all the lottery teams

Thabeet is obviously a bust. He got owned in summer league, which mostly consists of guys who won't make the NBA. Are you comparing Zach Randolph to Pau Gasol? If you are, that is ridiculous. Pau Gasol is one of the best big men in the league. He's an efficient scorer, a potent low post threat, and underrated defensively. Randolph shoots an extremely low percentage for a big man, plays no defense, and is a black whole on offense. He's a cancer.

Say what u like but scouts are clueless on what to expect from this Memphis team this season.
ikn_peace.gif
ikn_peace.gif
ikn_peace.gif

I can see already, it is hard for u to notice the impact of the new players added to Memphis roster this upcoming year.
If u think Thabeet sucked in the Summer League Games, then u really missed his Freshmen year in Connecticut, b/c bum & suck was an understatement in his freshmen year. Which is why I wrote "quick-learner" in his Sophmore year he became the NCAA defensive-stopper.
With C-Mark Gasol to practice with this season (however, Thabeet will be replacing Darko's 15 mpg of 5pts,4rbs, 0.8 blks) we will see if the center rotation improve from last season.
And the kicker being Zach Randolph....where alot of his young bigmen teammates has excelled in Portland, N.Y., and Clippers from taking notes on how Zach position himself in the paint to grab rebounds without jumping. LOL
Recall Pau Gasol on Memphis and Zach on Portland, then get back to me.
Plus dont sleep on all the bigmen Memphis got out of this draft-class.

NYK NYK.....The samething fans are saying now about AI, was said already when Philly traded AI to Denver Nuggets to play alongside of a no-defense Melo & JR Smith, jokes like "there is only one ball in Denver".
But no-one mention how Melo & JR Smith performance kept improving each season playing alongside of Iverson.
Before Iverson came to Denver, Melo could not get one minute of playingtime on the USA Olympic Team, and coach Karl did not trust giving JR Smith more than 12 mpg.
All of those things change for Melo & JR Smith after AI showed them when their scoring and offensive creativeness is most needed and important to the team....in the 4th quarter.

This season with Memphis opositions worring about Zach & AI on offense (double-team) it will give Gay and Mayo the oportunity to win alot of games for Memphis. Plus veteran Jerry Stackhouse presence could become that "bench player coach" this young Memphis team been looking for.
PG-Mike Conley & SG-Mayo averaged 6 assists a piece in the 2nd half of last season, add Iverson's 6 or more assist to the team with Iverson fast transition performance (alley-oops) and the 24 win season Memphis team has turned into a .500 plus team in the Western Conference knocking injury-Houston and attitude-Amare's Phoenix Suns out of the playoff box.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
This team will win 30 games this year.

I am sorry but AI will play 66 gms and avg 23 ppg

Mayo will not get his shots therefore he will not play defense

Rudy Gay will have an improved all around season, but scoring will dip.

Zach will put up double double numbers but has no defense

And Gasol isnt ready to take the next step in the western conference as a legit 5.

playoff bound i dont think so

they are not better than

lakers
blazers
hornets
spurs
nuggets
Jazz
Suns
Mavs
Rockets
I see them being the 10th best team in the west
I know the Rockets are with out ming and tmac
but I just have a good feeling about adelmans coaching ability and
what the rockets did as a team defensively last year in the playoffs.
One game away from the western conference finals is no joke

That starting lineup can win more than 30 games if AI doesnt shoot everything but they have 4 all stars or potential all stars in AI, Zach, Gay, and Mayo so the only thing hurting this team is their lack of good bench players.

JayJ44

Starter
Say what u like but scouts are clueless on what to expect from this Memphis team this season.
ikn_peace.gif
ikn_peace.gif
ikn_peace.gif

I can see already, it is hard for u to notice the impact of the new players added to Memphis roster this upcoming year.
If u think Thabeet sucked in the Summer League Games, then u really missed his Freshmen year in Connecticut, b/c bum & suck was an understatement in his freshmen year. Which is why I wrote "quick-learner" in his Sophmore year he became the NCAA defensive-stopper.
With C-Mark Gasol to practice with this season (however, Thabeet will be replacing Darko's 15 mpg of 5pts,4rbs, 0.8 blks) we will see if the center rotation improve from last season.

He was able to play well in the NCAA because everyone there is weaker, and less athletic than the NBA. He's not strong enough to defend the post in the NBA. His lower body is just way too weak.

And the kicker being Zach Randolph....where alot of his young bigmen teammates has excelled in Portland, N.Y., and Clippers from taking notes on how Zach position himself in the paint to grab rebounds without jumping. LOL

Do you have any sources to back this up? Or are you just assuming random things that aren't accurate?

Recall Pau Gasol on Memphis and Zach on Portland, then get back to me.
Plus dont sleep on all the bigmen Memphis got out of this draft-class.

Pau Gasol carried a shitty team to the playoffs. Zach was a benchwarmer on a very good playoff team in his first couple years. Gasol>Z-bo, no comparison.

Kiyaman

Legend
THIS is why the Grizzlies signed AI

Via MyFoxSports

The addition of Allen Iverson to the Memphis Grizzlies has resulted the biggest boom in ticket sales seen in the history of the team.
Iverson, as the newest member of the Memphis Grizzlies, he brings experience, talent, charisma, and he puts butts in the seats.

"The last 48 hours it has been our biggest two days of sales since we started here," says Dennis O'Connor, Vice President of Ticket Sales for the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Grizzles are giving new season ticket purchasers an Allen Iverson jersey as an incentive. And at this point, that may be the only way to get one, there are only a few of the number three jerseys left in stock.

Iverson fan, Cynthia Bridges was quick to buy one for her grandson.

"He's followed him from Philadelphia, to Denver, to the Pistons," says Bridges. "I think it will boost the morale here, the fact that he's experienced and ready to roll with them."

Also ready to roll, the downtown bars and restaurants that are ready for the financial benefit of the increased ticket sales.

"Its simple when the forum is full, we are full," says Shawn Danko, owner of the Kooky Canuck. "Its just the way it goes, if they're sold out, we're sold out."

Danko says many of his regulars were on the fence about renewing season tickers, but the addition of AI made them quick to re-up.

"No brainer," says Danko. "The fans have been dying for someone marquis, somebody to come into the market and play for the Grizzlies."

The ticket sales boom has been with season tickets and the 11 game ticket packs. But the Grizzlies expect single ticket sales to be just as hot, those tickets go on sale October 3rd.

"We've really seen a buzz there," says O'Connor. "We've had tons of calls already asking, 'Hey when do the tickets go on sale for opening night?' We play the pistons, Iverson's former team, so that adds a little more intrigue to the game."<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->