Knicks give Lee one-year, $8 million deal

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The New York Knicks have reached agreement with free-agent forward David Lee(notes) on a one-year contract worth $8 million plus additional incentives, Lee?s agent, Mark Bartelstein, told Yahoo! Sports.

Lee had been seeking a multiyear contract, but the Knicks wanted to preserve as much salary-cap room for next summer?s flush free-agent market. Lee will now also join LeBron James(notes), Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) in the free-agent class of 2010.

About time. A one year rental. It will cost $12 mil to retain his Bird Rights. That doesn't leave us enough to go after a max-contract so the Knicks will forego retaining them. He'll be an unrestricted free agent next year.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Lee was getting desperate and I think we could have signed him for less, the QO was 2.9M, so anything in the region of 5M would be good for both.

D-Lee42fan

Benchwarmer
Hell ya! finally we have LEE back. I hope that after his 1 year contract is up, we resign him again for a longer period after all this hype about signing a d-wade, amare, lebron etc... is all over.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
nothing unexpected here...

i expected more this off season...we did what, next to nothing, right?

I guess there wasnt much we could do this off season to keep next off cap okay, but i was under the impression we'd be getting a few stable pieces to sorround around the hopeful star (s) we'll get next...oh well...

healthy gallo, nate, lee, chandler, hill, harrington...not too bad

Kiyaman

Legend
Great resigning....even if it did take 3-months of the offseason.

David Lee grabbing the defensive-rebound so Knick oponents get one shot on offense makes him a valuable rebuilding tool to have in the rotation.

Imagine accepting $5M then having another double-double season as an unrestricted FA....teams would be lined-up for Lee on July 1st.
Ben Gordon proved that.
The same goes for Nate Robinson energy off the bench.

CoolClyde

FINAL-LEE! It's about F*cking Time, Agent Barleycorn!

Magic 8 Balls for DLEE. Half the basketball world agreed DLEE was worth $8, more or less;
should have happened months ago, if DLEE agent Barleycorn faced reality in the first place.
Testing the market is one thing, dragging things out to an inevitable conclusion only serves
to mess with DLEE's head, the team's cohesion, and 1001 KO threads.

I still think Walsh is a p*ssy for not getting Sessions.
:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

Paul1355

All Star
About time

Now we can focus on the season....

Lee will start at PF with Darko probably at Center....this is the front court I hope we have since it's the first tall starting back court for the knicks in a long time.

metrocard

Legend
Defensive rebounds are a part of defense.

PG - Duhon/Robinson
SG - Chandler/Hughes/Douglas
SF - Harrington/Gallinari
PF - Lee/Hill/Jefferies
C - Darko/Curry

We need a pick/roll PG...offer Arroyo a contract already.

nyk_nyk

All Star

PG - Duhon/Robinson
PF - Lee/Hill/Jefferies
C - Darko/Curry

That's the line-up I envision but I think it may be a good idea to start Curry only to showcase him a bit to entice potential takers. We NEED to get rid of him if two max players is in the future plans.

On the other hand, if he shows up ready to play and becomes dominant in the paint again with a lil more passion on defense and rebounding we should keep him. It's too damn hard to find a good NBA ready center.

Not really sure about Darko. Hasn't shown much promise since being drafted so I can't get all hyped about him until I see something, sorry.

With Lee, Hill and Jeffries we have a solid core of PFs. Not much scoring but good rebounding and size. Obviously Jeffries and Hill (hopefully) will be the better defenders but I definitely like the height (6'9" 6'10" 6'11")

I still don't think this is a playoff team right now but we'll see. All 8 teams from last season will be the favorites to make the playoffs including the much improved Wizards (Arenas) and Raptors (Turkoglu).

honey230

Rookie
Very good day for Knicks Fan. Love the way they structured the contracts for both players. If the Knicks make the playoffs both get a million dollar bonus. Good incentive for them to play their best and to be vocal leaders. This is the only way we'll have a chance to make the playoffs. And this wont affect our 2010 plan. So far Walsh is making smart decisions about this francise. I have a good feeling about this year. I think we are going to surprise alot of people.

Off topic:
Spurs dropped Jack McClinton. I wonder if the Knicks would send a invite to training camp? Or do we have too many players now? Rather see him compete for a spot than Sun Yue. Jack is a sharp shooter and quick. I think he would fit into the system.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I think Knicks management want the starting lineup to be:

PG-Duhon
SG-Chandler
SF-Gallo
PF-Lee
C-Curry

w/ Nate, Harrington, Hughes, Jeffries and Darko off the bench. Hill and Douglas will see little playing time.

But we'll see after training camp. Curry and Jeffries have to get playing time so they can be moved. Donnie and D'Antoni must see this. The entire success of the 2010 plan depends on it.

GetRealistic

Starter

PG - Duhon/Robinson
PF - Lee/Hill/Jefferies
C - Darko/Curry

Pretty much dead on but i'd rather start Gallinari over Harrington because he is the future plus Al has shown in the past he can be a good guy off the bench but i could live with lineup... That being said if i were a betting man i'd think Mike D starts something like this come opening night

Duhon
Chandler
Gallo
Jefferies
Lee

For some reason coach sees something in Jefferies, don't really know why but he thinks jefferies has something. This roster is deffinately better then last years roster. There a few defensive players on the roster in Hughes, Jefferies, Chandler, Douglas and Darko. Plus hopefully Hill can provide some shotblocking. We proved last year that just based on the system we can put up 100 + points a night with just about anybody we throw out there but maybe with the infusion of some defense and some much needed size (darko, hill, and curry) we can become a better team... I wouldn't expect anything radicle but i wouldn't be shocked if we went .500 this season.

Also i see Larry Hughes as the backup point guard to start the season... Not saying i'm a big fan of the idea but i'm not sure if Douglas is ready and we all know Nate is better suited to play off the ball. Also if Hughes doesn't see minutes early he's going to become a lockeroom cancer. His contract is massive but its expiring and he does have ability and he is deffinately tradeable to a playoff team looking for a defender in the backcourt and since he has an expiring deal somebody may take a shot on him.

portega1968

El Cacique
Awesome resigning... Knicks showed respect by giving him way more than the QO.

Chances are they will find a way to keep him next summer unless he helps get rid of Curry or Jeffries before Feb2010.

Starting 5: (unless another signing/trade comes along)

Duhon
Chandler
Gallo
Lee
Darko

Nate, Hughes and Harrington round out the 8man rotation. Rookies getting garbage time.

Curry spectator at the end of the bench!!! You guys crazy if ya'll think he's coming back ready to crack the rotation.

A Ski

Rookie
Tough to be a fan in Texas

:thumbsup:I know I will catch flack for this but I have to say I am very happy that we got our Boy's back( David Lee & Nate the great) and I truly hope we make some strides this year .Playoffs would be awesome! deep in the playoffs even better Yeah! I really hope our new rookies shine they seem to have a lot of up-side (Jordan Hill & Toney Douglas). I think Al.Harington will be a stud this season; Danilo Gallinari & Wilson Chandler will both be something really special! I really hope Darko Milicic will be all that he was projected to be; that will make a big difference, Eddy needs to step up his all around game, cant comment about Gabe Pruitt all though I wish him luck after all he is a Knick now and thats what matters. Its tough to be a fan in Texas but this is my home town team so GO NY Go NY GO! To the rest of the team God bless and have a great season all of you mentioned or not.