How The Knicks Can Save Another $3.5 To $9 Million For 2010.

ANU

Starter
from knicksFan.net

According to Larry Coon?s salary cap FAQ, after a buyout, the team?s cap number is adjusted downwards to reflect the buyout amount, rather than the original contract amount.
Also, after a bit of further research, it seems that it is possible to buy out an option year. The only provisos are that the player contract has to have a option buy-out clause and that the option buy-out clause cannot exceed 50% of the option year salary.
Thus, the Knicks could theoretically agree to buy out Curry?s option year but it could not for more than half his option year salary, which is about $11 million. In other words, if the Knicks bought out Curry to the maximum amount permitted under the CBA, they would save about 5.5 million under the 2010 cap.
Incidentally, they could do the same thing with Jeffries and save another 3.5 million or so based his approximate $7 million salary for his option year.
If the Knicks can?t trade either and either or both agree to such a buy-out, the Knicks are looking at another $3.5 to $9 million under the cap in 2010.
http://www.knicksfan.net/?p=2814

i think this is an interesting way to go about circumventing the cap.i happen to think that jeffries will get traded.so if he does get dealt that 6 mill off the cap, and curry gets bought out an extra 5.5 mill of the cap, for a total of 11.5 off the cap.add that to the space we all ready have (which could be between 20 and 24 mill) and we could have between 31 and 35 mill in capspace.

a max contract For a player with 7?9 years of experience, would be 30% of the cap.with a cap between 50 and 54 mill, that's about 15 mill to a little over 16 mill.
16 mill off of that 35 mill for bron, that's 19 million in capspace left.:D

god/allah/yahweh/flying spaghetti monster let this happen.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
from knicksFan.net

http://www.knicksfan.net/?p=2814

i think this is an interesting way to go about circumventing the cap.i happen to think that jeffries will get traded.so if he does get dealt that 6 mill off the cap, and curry gets bought out an extra 5.5 mill of the cap, for a total of 11.5 off the cap.add that to the space we all ready have (which could be between 20 and 24 mill) and we could have between 31 and 35 mill in capspace.

a max contract For a player with 7?9 years of experience, would be 30% of the cap.with a cap between 50 and 54 mill, that's about 15 mill to a little over 16 mill.
16 mill off of that 35 mill for bron, that's 19 million in capspace left.:D

god/allah/yahweh/flying spaghetti monster let this happen.

Yeah, I read that too. This is definitely what Donnie is planning to do. He's trying real hard to trade Jeffries right now but every team knows Donnie is desperate to move his salary. Nobody is going to do us any favors so it will be difficult.

I think not playing Curry to piss him off has been the plan all along. Donnie knows Curry is untradeable and if Curry gets fed up he will demand a trade or buyout. This is smart business and an extra $5.5 mil in cap space is huge.

Buying out Jeffries may not be the best option though. His expiring contract could get us more come draft day. But if he's traded before the deadline it will be officially time to celebrate. The 2010 plan will be a gauranteed success if this happens.

New New York

Quiet Storm
What is not stated is that the players have to agree to this buyout amount. Both player's agents would play hardball with The Knicks because they would know how precious every dollar is to The Knicks

Jefferies I see getting traded to a contender for a coulple of second round picks

Now if Curry was smart he would take the 5.5 million buyout becasue there is no way he sits for another fulll season and gets any sort of serious contract in 2011-2012. I think he could still get himself a two year 8 million dollar deal -a smart team would make the second year a team option- on top of a buyout this summer which will give him an opportunity to play and try to salvage his career.

If Curry picks up his option next season, he will have earned his last dollars in The NBA, one more year of not playing, he will put back on a lot of the weight sitting all of next season and will begin to breakdown as soon as he starts to play again the season after next

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I agree but we have to be careful not to piss him off to the point he goes into spite mode. He has sat so long that what would be another year? Losing out on 5 mil and gambling he will be signed by another team might become less attractive if he hates the Knicks because we made him mad.

That said, I hope we can trade JJ and buyout Curry so we can sign Bron , resign Lee and go after a PG.

ANU

Starter
What is not stated is that the players have to agree to this buyout amount. Both player's agents would play hardball with The Knicks because they would know how precious every dollar is to The Knicks

Jefferies I see getting traded to a contender for a coulple of second round picks

Now if Curry was smart he would take the 5.5 million buyout becasue there is no way he sits for another fulll season and gets any sort of serious contract in 2011-2012. I think he could still get himself a two year 8 million dollar deal -a smart team would make the second year a team option- on top of a buyout this summer which will give him an opportunity to play and try to salvage his career.

If Curry picks up his option next season, he will have earned his last dollars in The NBA, one more year of not playing, he will put back on a lot of the weight sitting all of next season and will begin to breakdown as soon as he starts to play again the season after next
totally agree.i think now that he's in shape, he would be smart to take the buyout.does the he want to have the fact that he's been inactive the last 2 seasons on his resume? bender retired, this guy has no excuse.atleast now he could probably get a non guaranteed contract, and show if he can play since he wants to get "traded" lmao.

ANU

Starter
I agree but we have to be careful not to piss him off to the point he goes into spite mode. He has sat so long that what would be another year? Losing out on 5 mil and gambling he will be signed by another team might become less attractive if he hates the Knicks because we made him mad.

That said, I hope we can trade JJ and buyout Curry so we can sign Bron , resign Lee and go after a PG.
if his agent is smart(he's james's agent as well) he'd know that if he doesn't do this, this will be probably his last contract.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
totally agree.i think now that he's in shape, he would be smart to take the buyout.does the he want to have the fact that he's been inactive the last 2 seasons on his resume? bender retired, this guy has no excuse.atleast now he could probably get a non guaranteed contract, and show if he can play since he wants to get "traded" lmao.

Can we buy him out now? If so that would be real incentive since he would get his entire contract this year, half next year and the possibility to sign to another team now that he is in "shape".

ANU

Starter
Can we buy him out now? If so that would be real incentive since he would get his entire contract this year, half next year and the possibility to sign to another team now that he is in "shape".
from the same blog........
For this kind of buy-out to work, there has to be an option year buy-out already in the contract. I don?t know if Jeffries? or Curry?s contracts include an option year buy-out clause.
it has to be in the option year of the contract, and it has to be written in the contract.

this has to be true.

paris401

Starter
dunno about ugly (jeffries) whether he will/can be traded... i see little value in someone who has 'zero' "O" skills, and imo is way overrated in "D"...

as to 'fat-fuk' (curry).. i do not seeing him taking a buy out . the 11+ mill he is owed next year, will probably be his last payday. i think he will be content to sit at the end of the bench with dreams of sugar-plums.... i mean happy-meals dancing in his head...

mafra

Legend
According to the NY POST:

The Knicks could open another $2 million in extra cap room in 2010 -- which is crucial -- if Curry agrees to take $9.3 million of the $11.3 million he has left in the final year of his contract. Curry figures to make up the money by signing elsewhere for the veteran's minimum ($1.9M)."

This seems more reasonable. I mean, why would Curry forfeit HALF his 11 million salary? He'll make 2 million if signs elswhere.... but, after that, can he expect to make another 5-7 million after that?

I mean, if he sits another year and earns his 11 million... he'll probably find someone to gamle on him the year after that for another 1.9 million. Basically, he should be capable of earning about 13 million through 2011-2012 season.

No way he opts out, takes 6 million and puts all his eggs playing for another contract.... 6 + 2 million is only 8 million. And if he stinks... He losses some change.

BUT, the only thing with Curry- we have to act fast, which means Curry has the upper hand, b/c we need that money for free agents. Hey, maybe we dump him for another expiring contract before the draft... BUT.... what is more valuable for NY?

1- Save 2-3 million under the cap
2- Hold on to Curry's expiring contract and deal him at some point

SO.... let's be realistic and says he takes a cut of 2-3 million; and we find somebody to take Jeffries. That's still a good job! On top of that, we found a Bender who could be a nice role player if he stays healthy. I'll take it.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Jefferies could be traded or I could see him opting out as he can get another mid level exception somewhere. Still interesting if they buy him out as they can save some dough.

As far as Curry, if he's so desperate then work out a deal and go somewhere else already. Demanding shit after he cant stay out of Mickey D's.

paris401

Starter
Jefferies could be traded or I could see him opting out as he can get another mid level exception somewhere. Still interesting if they buy him out as they can save some dough.

As far as Curry, if he's so desperate then work out a deal and go somewhere else already. Demanding shit after he cant stay out of Mickey D's.

i doubt that anyone is signing ugly for the mle.. 30/32m over 5 years... i don't see it...

dre48ny

Rotation player
i doubt that anyone is signing ugly for the mle.. 30/32m over 5 years... i don't see it...

True, probably a bit too pricy but there has been some head scratchers in the past! Ok maybe the Knicks contributed to a lot of those in the past, lol.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
According to the NY POST:

The Knicks could open another $2 million in extra cap room in 2010 -- which is crucial -- if Curry agrees to take $9.3 million of the $11.3 million he has left in the final year of his contract. Curry figures to make up the money by signing elsewhere for the veteran's minimum ($1.9M)."

This seems more reasonable. I mean, why would Curry forfeit HALF his 11 million salary? He'll make 2 million if signs elswhere.... but, after that, can he expect to make another 5-7 million after that?

I mean, if he sits another year and earns his 11 million... he'll probably find someone to gamle on him the year after that for another 1.9 million. Basically, he should be capable of earning about 13 million through 2011-2012 season.

No way he opts out, takes 6 million and puts all his eggs playing for another contract.... 6 + 2 million is only 8 million. And if he stinks... He losses some change.

BUT, the only thing with Curry- we have to act fast, which means Curry has the upper hand, b/c we need that money for free agents. Hey, maybe we dump him for another expiring contract before the draft... BUT.... what is more valuable for NY?

1- Save 2-3 million under the cap
2- Hold on to Curry's expiring contract and deal him at some point

SO.... let's be realistic and says he takes a cut of 2-3 million; and we find somebody to take Jeffries. That's still a good job! On top of that, we found a Bender who could be a nice role player if he stays healthy. I'll take it.

I would much rather hold on to him and trade his expiring contract at next year's trade deadline than save an extra $2 mil in cap space. We could get a lot more for his expiring contract.

In the mean time, let him rot at the end of the bench if he doesn't take a buyout. He doesn't deserve any money at this point. So f*ck him. If he really wants to play he should be forced to take a buyout. He's held this franchise hostage for too long to let him dictate what he wants.

By the way, getting half of next year's salary is the maximum he can receive in an option year. It all depends if he has a buyout option in his contract for his option year.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I would much rather hold on to him and trade his expiring contract at next year's trade deadline than save an extra $2 mil in cap space. We could get a lot more for his expiring contract.

In the mean time, let him rot at the end of the bench if he doesn't take a buyout. He doesn't deserve any money at this point. So f*ck him. If he really wants to play he should be forced to take a buyout. He's held this franchise hostage for too long to let him dictate what he wants.

By the way, getting half of next year's salary is the maximum he can receive in an option year. It all depends if he has a buyout option in his contract for his option year.

I sort of agree.... The odds NY gets something increases the longer we wait with Curry. I mean, if he's still here after the draft.... why not just use him as a trade chip (his expiring contract will have value). From July to the trading deadline, NY will find something better by holding him then they would be cutting him to save 2 million.... That's what? A vet min contract?