Why does everyone praise the Wiz's for their trades but criticize the NYK for theirs?

johnstarky

Rotation player
All I keep hearing from a lot of people is how great it was for the Washington Wizards to get rid of Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison and Brendan Haywood.But when Donnie Walsh decided to dump the contracts of Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph and Jared Jeffries most people thought he was an idiot for putting his team under the salary cap.I am getting tired of people never giving the Knicks their due credit.It's like the national sports media doesn't want to say anything positive about the Knicks.But they make a living out of admiring everyone else in the league.

The rest of the teams in the NBA could draft busts, make questionable trades and over pay for mediocre talent but you rarely see them get criticized for such transgressions. Knick management commits a couple of mistakes and sports journalists and NBA experts are ready to tear the Knicks up because of it.I know the Knicks have made some of the worst decisions because of Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas but it seems like the Knicks are an easy target for cynicism.We finally get an executive that knows how to make reasonable decisions but since he works for the Knicks people are ready to put him in the same category as his predecessors.

tiger0330

Legend
Damn, the Wiz are 2-0 since the trades. I hope NY can say the same, maybe the media will get off our case if we can win some games.

because we are the new york knicks and until our record stops looking like 19-34 every late february we will continue to get criticized. Proof is in the pudding, and right now we are looking like some knock off 99 cent store tapioca.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Honestly, I'm not sure what the OP is referring to because I have heard the Wizards get far more than their fair share of criticism. Now, Walsh did get a ton of criticism when he traded crawford and Randolph last year, becuase the Knicks were winning with those guys and had a chance to be a low-seeded playoff team (and that criticism was retarded, btw) As for the Mcgrady/Jeffries trade, I've heard mostly praise for Walsh from the media as a whole.

Kiyaman

Legend
The media have not criticize Walsh like I have.

u have a halfcourt offense/defense roster (Isiah's Players), and u hire a coach that is clueless on establishing a halfcourt press b/c he been getting eliminated in every playoff series by the Spurs halfcourt press, and he had 3-All-Star players (3 max players, and 4 one time with Joe Johnson).

u take on a Lottery Team (2007-8 Knicks a 23 win season team) that has the biggest media criticism in the NBA and u give up first rounders for a quick-fixer to get no-where anytime soon.

Studid is what stupid does....a Lottery Team never swaps a future first round pick (2011), and are damn to hell if they give one away (2012).
We are a LOTTERY-TEAM (past, present, and future untill we prove other wise, not before.).

Making the salary-cap $30M+ under does not change the fact or future of this Lottery-Team, especially when it does not have a basic format of players.
Two star players (2 max contracts) need a Basic format of teammates to go with them, ask Duncan & Parker, Pierce & Rondo, Kobe & Odom, Lebron & Big Z, Howard & Nelson. Although, the majority of those players were DRAFTED and developed by the teams they went to the FINALS with, they still know their team success relies more on their coaching-staff and the format of their teammates.

knicksin60

Starter
The media have not criticize Walsh like I have.

u have a halfcourt offense/defense roster (Isiah's Players), and u hire a coach that is clueless on establishing a halfcourt press b/c he been getting eliminated in every playoff series by the Spurs halfcourt press, and he had 3-All-Star players (3 max players, and 4 one time with Joe Johnson).

u take on a Lottery Team (2007-8 Knicks a 23 win season team) that has the biggest media criticism in the NBA and u give up first rounders for a quick-fixer to get no-where anytime soon.

Studid is what stupid does....a Lottery Team never swaps a future first round pick (2011), and are damn to hell if they give one away (2012).
We are a LOTTERY-TEAM (past, present, and future untill we prove other wise, not before.).

Making the salary-cap $30M+ under does not change the fact or future of this Lottery-Team, especially when it does not have a basic format of players.
Two star players (2 max contracts) need a Basic format of teammates to go with them, ask Duncan & Parker, Pierce & Rondo, Kobe & Odom, Lebron & Big Z, Howard & Nelson. Although, the majority of those players were DRAFTED and developed by the teams they went to the FINALS with, they still know their team success relies more on their coaching-staff and the format of their teammates.

You never know if Walsh could get back a 2012 lottery pick by using Eddy Curry's expiring contract next season.Just because Walsh needed to give up picks in order to get rid of Jeffries's contract doesn't mean that he will stop making moves apart from looking to acquire free agent this summer.How valuable will Curry's contract look to other teams next season?

And there was no guarantee that the picks involved in the Jeffries trade were going to turn out to be good draft selections.It is rare for an NBA team, like the Knicks, to draft players like Kevin Durant or Chris Paul.The fact that the Knicks have been one of the worst teams, in terms of drafting players for the past 20 years, proves that it would take a miracle for them to draft a player who they could build their franchise upon.

Who says that Douglas and Gallo or Douglas and Chandler couldn't be a decent combination for a superstar like Lebron James to play along with? Before Kevin Garnett came to the Celtics, Rajon Rondo was a 21th round draft pick and a nobody.But once he gets surrounded by superstars he becomes one of the best point guards in the NBA.Even Paul Pierce was very similar to David Lee in the sense that he didn't make his team much better by himself.The Cavs are a sub five hundred team without Lebron James and the same thing would apply to the Magic without Howard and the Spurs without Duncan.I guarantee that if the Knicks get a superstar player this summer, the games of Douglas, Gallo and Chandler would improve dramatically.The reason why these young Knick players are overlooked by everyone is because they never had an elite player to be the first option for them.They basically had to play the role of going up against every other team's elite core, with little to no veteran experience of their own.

You can't really rip Donnie Walsh and the Knicks without seeing what will happen to them in these next few months.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
All I keep hearing from a lot of people is how great it was for the Washington Wizards to get rid of Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison and Brendan Haywood.But when Donnie Walsh decided to dump the contracts of Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph and Jared Jeffries most people thought he was an idiot for putting his team under the salary cap.I am getting tired of people never giving the Knicks their due credit.It's like the national sports media doesn't want to say anything positive about the Knicks.But they make a living out of admiring everyone else in the league.

The rest of the teams in the NBA could draft busts, make questionable trades and over pay for mediocre talent but you rarely see them get criticized for such transgressions. Knick management commits a couple of mistakes and sports journalists and NBA experts are ready to tear the Knicks up because of it.I know the Knicks have made some of the worst decisions because of Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas but it seems like the Knicks are an easy target for cynicism.We finally get an executive that knows how to make reasonable decisions but since he works for the Knicks people are ready to put him in the same category as his predecessors.

the wizards suck and the Knicks have set themselves up for a pretty off season.

T Mac wants to be a Knick and Sergio look like he can blossom into a starting PG... i loved the moves by Walsh

We can always buy or trade for draft picks!!!

Screw anyone who thinks the Wizards are in a better position...they have mental problems.