How did the Knicks end up playing so poorly?

johnstarky

Rotation player
Just a couple of months ago the Knicks were playing their best basketball of the season.They were defeating teams with sub five hundred records, holding their opponents to under 100 points,dominating home games and looked like a team that would make a run for the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference.Many Knick fans were starting to be convinced that the Knicks had learned how to be a competitive team under Mike D'antoni.I even thought that the Knicks were about to break the losing curse that has been looming over them since the Patrick Ewing trade.

But then came the easiest stretch of their 2009-10 schedule: The string of games that the Knicks had against the Washington Wizards, Minnesota Timberwolves, Sacramento Kings, and other beatable teams.What seemed like an easy opportunity for the Knicks to prove that they weren't going to finish the season behind the Bobcats,Bulls and Bucks became a very big disappointment for them.They went from playing unselfish team oriented basketball to getting blown out by the most underachieving teams in the NBA.Games that they had little problems closing out in the month of December all of a sudden became 4th quarter meltdowns for them.As the Knicks started losing these games their appearance in the rear view mirrors of the teams competing with them for the 8th seed became smaller and vanished within time.

What many Knick fans like myself would like to know is, what caused this sudden turn of events for the New York Knickerbockers? Was it the return of Nate Robinson to the lineup? Was it Mike D'antoni's fall out with Larry Hughes? Was it problems between players in the Knick locker room? Was it the Knicks falling back down to reality after overachieving during the month of December? Was it mid-season fatigue that was catching up with some of the Knick players? Was it some of the Knick players forgetting about the team concept of basketball due to the NBA trading deadline causing a distraction for them? Was it the inability of Mike D'antoni to coach a team without superstars?

I am not worried about the Knicks missing out on the playoffs for a 6th consecutive season.Before this season began, I didn't expect them to be a better team than the Raptors, Bulls, Bobcats and Bucks.I knew that the main goal this season, for the Knick organization, was getting rid of the contracts of Jared Jeffries and Eddy Curry.But at the same time, I didn't expect the Knicks to have a worse season than they had last year.Knowing that the Knicks are missing a first round draft pick and will have to attract free agents this summer, they aren't doing a half decent job of brightening their future.Seven game losing streaks against teams that aren't even that good, is down right pathetic.Blowing 15 point leads against horrible teams, like the Sacramento Kings, is catastrophic.Losing a game at home after leading by six points with about a minute left in the 4th quarter, is exasperating and unacceptable.Even the New Jersey Nets have a better post all-star break record than the NY Knicks right now.Like I said before, I could live through the Knicks being a bad team but I cannot get all giddy about the summer of 2010 when in the winter of 2010 the Knicks are showing no desire to win a single basketball game.

Last edited:

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I blame the coach. Some of the players were going one on one and chucking up shots (EDDIE HOUSE). D'antoni should have sat those type of players on the bench and put players that would of contributed with ball movement.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I'm sure there's umpteen reasons.

he fact that we have a crap team being the major one.

No center, no real PG, lack of defensive and offensive cohesion, Mike's in house feuds and moronic benchings etc.

But one thing we ALL said when there was an influx of expiring contracts, was that the players would be off put by the looming inevitability of 2010 and they themselves becoming after thoughts.

I bet Al Harrington cringes every time he hears Lebron's name. That, along with McGrady's acquisition obviously affected his play.

My guess is that the players knowing they're wanted as contracts, not players, was always going to be the demise of an already doomed season.

Now that the spiral is coming to an end, D'antoni has given up on them all.

That makes him sound like a prick, but considering some of the efforts put in by - Puhon, Harrington, Nate, Jefferies and even Gallo and Wilson at times, can you really blame him for a lack of optimism? I can't.

It was a crap, temporary roster and 2010 that stunk out the Garden this year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I blame the coach. Some of the players were going one on one and chucking up shots (EDDIE HOUSE). D'antoni should have sat those type of players on the bench and put players that would of contributed with ball movement.

And for some reason, he only benched Nate when Puhon was doing precisely the same thing.

tiger0330

Legend
Even a crap team like the Knicks can have a decent streak and to think I predicted they would make the playoffs. I think Harrington and Gallo were hot back then, they are playing miserably now. Who cares anymore, the Knicks are done, nothing to play for except new contracts for next year.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
We have new players learning our system (including our starting PG) and we don't have a center. Mystery solved...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Simple, we have players without heart or pride. They give up when things are bad. Oh, and everybody on our team would be coming off the bench on a good team. And another thing, we don't have a Center or PG.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
I'm sure there's umpteen reasons.

he fact that we have a crap team being the major one.

No center, no real PG, lack of defensive and offensive cohesion, Mike's in house feuds and moronic benchings etc.

Which almost sound like this was the Isiah Thomas era again...

But one thing we ALL said when there was an influx of expiring contracts, was that the players would be off put by the looming inevitability of 2010 and they themselves becoming after thoughts.

I bet Al Harrington cringes every time he hears Lebron's name. That, along with McGrady's acquisition obviously affected his play.

My guess is that the players knowing they're wanted as contracts, not players, was always going to be the demise of an already doomed season.

It was a crap, temporary roster and 2010 that stunk out the Garden this year.

Which will probably still hurt into 2012 until the team can get an influx of long term contracts and work on raising in-house talent.

Y'know, as soon as they pay off the existing garbage (*cough*curry*cough*) the Knicks have.

Paul1355

All Star
Just a couple of months ago the Knicks were playing their best basketball of the season.They were defeating teams with sub five hundred records, holding their opponents to under 100 points,dominating home games and looked like a team that would make a run for the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference.Many Knick fans were starting to be convinced that the Knicks had learned how to be a competitive team under Mike D'antoni.I even thought that the Knicks were about to break the losing curse that has been looming over them since the Patrick Ewing trade.

But then came the easiest stretch of their 2009-10 schedule: The string of games that the Knicks had against the Washington Wizards, Minnesota Timberwolves, Sacramento Kings, and other beatable teams.What seemed like an easy opportunity for the Knicks to prove that they weren't going to finish the season behind the Bobcats,Bulls and Bucks became a very big disappointment for them.They went from playing unselfish team oriented basketball to getting blown out by the most underachieving teams in the NBA.Games that they had little problems closing out in the month of December all of a sudden became 4th quarter meltdowns for them.As the Knicks started losing these games their appearance in the rear view mirrors of the teams competing with them for the 8th seed became smaller and vanished within time.

What many Knick fans like myself would like to know is, what caused this sudden turn of events for the New York Knickerbockers? Was it the return of Nate Robinson to the lineup? Was it Mike D'antoni's fall out with Larry Hughes? Was it problems between players in the Knick locker room? Was it the Knicks falling back down to reality after overachieving during the month of December? Was it mid-season fatigue that was catching up with some of the Knick players? Was it some of the Knick players forgetting about the team concept of basketball due to the NBA trading deadline causing a distraction for them? Was it the inability of Mike D'antoni to coach a team without superstars?

I am not worried about the Knicks missing out on the playoffs for a 6th consecutive season.Before this season began, I didn't expect them to be a better team than the Raptors, Bulls, Bobcats and Bucks.I knew that the main goal this season, for the Knick organization, was getting rid of the contracts of Jared Jeffries and Eddy Curry.But at the same time, I didn't expect the Knicks to have a worse season than they had last year.Knowing that the Knicks are missing a first round draft pick and will have to attract free agents this summer, they aren't doing a half decent job of brightening their future.Seven game losing streaks against teams that aren't even that good, is down right pathetic.Blowing 15 point leads against horrible teams, like the Sacramento Kings, is catastrophic.Losing a game at home after leading by six points with about a minute left in the 4th quarter, is exasperating and unacceptable.Even the New Jersey Nets have a better post all-star break record than the NY Knicks right now.Like I said before, I could live through the Knicks being a bad team but I cannot get all giddy about the summer of 2010 when in the winter of 2010 the Knicks are showing no desire to win a single basketball game.

dude they fell in love with the three point shot because they were too afraid of getting blocked by Andrew Bogut....THATS WHAT A CENTER CAN DO TO HELP WIN GAMES! This is why we need David Lee to be a permanent PF and get a Center who can block shots like Bogut can.

Having a center would have given us 20 plus extra wins the past two seasons combined...FACT...we lose so many games because we get owned in the paint with Lee at Center...its a joke that has gone too far.

If Donnie doesn't pick up a legit Center and signs Lee again then he has his head up his arse.

petescud

Starter
I agree, that something happened. You don't run off 8 wins in the row (i think it was) and beat Atlanta 2x in that stretch...Something went on...its gone now though...back to our losing ways...at least there's hope for 2011..lol