Is anyone disappointed that Ginobili won't be a Knick next season?

knicksin60

Starter
He is up there in age but there was talk about him being a possible option for the Knicks this summer.I really wasn't that crazy about the idea of the Knicks pursuing him, but don't you believe that if free agents like Ginobili saw something special in playing for the city of NY, they would have waited a little longer to sign their contracts? I really hope that Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, Kobe Bryant, and Ginobili choosing to re-sign with their teams isn't a preview of what's going to happen this summer with the other key free agents.I don't like sounding negative or pessimistic but I can't see how any Knick fan could have hope coming into next season if Donnie Walsh strikes out this summer.Because I sure won't enjoy watching 2 more seasons of 100 losses.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I would say no. I am not interested in anyone that is older than 28. The Knicks need young guys to build a long term winning team around. I would take him or Camby or anyone else if it were the last piece to put us over the top. Guys like that are to be signed to one year deals after you have a contending team in place. IMHO.

p0nder

Starter
ginobili is a good player but as trill pointed out, he's getting older. This free agent class has a lot of younger talent available.

I would be pleased if we added one other veteran presence in the locker room but more importantly is making sure we have enough young talent to support our superstar(s).

So i'm not too concerned about guys like grant hill and ginobili re-signing. As long as we get our Max FA(s) I'm comfortable with say T-Mac as veteran leadership next year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Ginobili can rest as he sees fit in SA because the playoffs are as good as a dead cert. Can't do that in NY next year. He's one of the top 15-20 players in the league when primed, but he's just not the right fit for NY.

5 years ago, He'd be worth $13M a season but not now.

knicksin60

Starter
I would say no. I am not interested in anyone that is older than 28. The Knicks need young guys to build a long term winning team around. I would take him or Camby or anyone else if it were the last piece to put us over the top. Guys like that are to be signed to one year deals after you have a contending team in place. IMHO.

I agree with what you're saying, but my concern is that with free agents already choosing to re-sign with their teams, the chances of Lebron James or Chris Bosh signing with the Knicks appears slimmer.And that this talk about NY being the Mecca of sports and the Knicks being a desirable organization to sign with seems like something the NY media has invented in order to keep the hopes of Knicks fans alive.

If aging veterans like Jason Kidd and Manu Ginobili chose to re-sign with their teams, do you really believe that any of these superstar free agents are going to leave the paradise that they're in right now to play for a team that nobody really cares about? Besides Knick fans, is there anyone who really thinks of MSG as the place that people would kill themselves to play in? I believe that there are very few NBA players who would want to become Knicks for the sake of playing in NY.The fact that the Knicks have been laughed at and irrelevant for almost 10 years should be enough to convince anyone not to sign a contract with them.

Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James could say all these wonderful things about NY but when it all comes down to it, I think that they would rather win championships playing for an NBA team in North Dakota than join a NY team that has done nothing before their NBA careers started.I can't remember a player who left a championship contending team behind them to join a losing organization.

I don't mean to be so bashful, but you think that Larry Johnson or Allan Houston would have wanted to be Knicks had the Knicks been this bad in the 90's? I highly doubt that they would have.People forget that NBA players are humans and they enjoy winning just as much as fans do.And they would do anything to be known as champions.

I could be completely wrong about all of this, but after seeing Kobe Bryant and Manu Ginobili re-sign with their teams in the same week, I really think that the Knicks are going to end up rebuilding through trades and not through signing any max superstars in 2010 or 2011.Just my opinion!

knicksin60

Starter
ginobili is a good player but as trill pointed out, he's getting older. This free agent class has a lot of younger talent available.

I would be pleased if we added one other veteran presence in the locker room but more importantly is making sure we have enough young talent to support our superstar(s).

So i'm not too concerned about guys like grant hill and ginobili re-signing. As long as we get our Max FA(s) I'm comfortable with say T-Mac as veteran leadership next year.

I just don't understand these rumors about Donnie Walsh having some secret insight about these superstars wanting to sign with the Knicks.I mean, does Donnie Walsh know something about Lebron James or Dwayne Wade that Jason Kidd, Grant Hill and Manu Ginobili didn't know? You would think that if Lebron James coming to NY was a secret that was known and kept by many NBA executives and players, that almost every free agent player would have at least waited until the summer of 2010 to sign with the Knicks to join him.

knicksin60

Starter
Ginobili can rest as he sees fit in SA because the playoffs are as good as a dead cert. Can't do that in NY next year. He's one of the top 15-20 players in the league when primed, but he's just not the right fit for NY.

5 years ago, He'd be worth $13M a season but not now.

He could have been a good second option, for a non-max contract, had Bosh or Wade signed elsewhere.

p0nder

Starter
I just don't understand these rumors about Donnie Walsh having some secret insight about these superstars wanting to sign with the Knicks.I mean, does Donnie Walsh know something about Lebron James or Dwayne Wade that Jason Kidd, Grant Hill and Manu Ginobili didn't know? You would think that if Lebron James coming to NY was a secret that was known and kept by many NBA executives and players, that almost every free agent player would have at least waited until the summer of 2010 to sign with the Knicks to join him.

There are no guarantee's in life. But as you know the plan is to buy us at least one of these Max FA's. It would be foolish to think that the knicks will not get an upgrade in talent, even if it is Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh or Joe Johnson. We simply have too much money to spend to strike out completely.

Key to having a title contending team is having enough talent and depth to support whatever FA's we land this offseason. Ginobili, while a good player, is older and may not be around 2, 3, 5 years from now. I would prefer we brought in younger legs and talent, which is readily available this off season. The idea being that we have a playoff team next year and we push for a title in 2011-12 as our players meld together and click as a unit.

bottom line: I just don't think Ginobili was a fantastic fit for the team and at his advanced age and cost would not have been worth it for us. Plus he is a better half court player and more suited to San Antonio's style of play.

Paul1355

All Star
Ginobili would be a great pick up if we can get him at a decent price to go with a super star...

I would take him over Rudy Gay just because we need a SG and no more Small forwards.