True value of 2nd rounders

moneyg

Starter
I think we are seeing a change in the value of 2nd rounders... in the future it appears to be that teams will stack up on 2nd round picks versus moving up in the first round.

it appears that after the first few picks or the first 14 (lottery).. there is a significant dropoff in talent. most temas would rather have non guaranteed contracts then guaranteed contracts for first rounders that will take up cap for the first two years.

2nd rounder are normally throw in in trades and are looked at as an after thought... so they r easy to aquire

teams would rather gamble on three secound rounders with hope to find a diamond in the ruff versus cap holds from anywhere from 1-5 mil for first round bust.

if there is a player you really want in the 1st round.. youcan always package some pics with cash and get the player you want....

your thoughts.......

Dirk

Benchwarmer
Well I was just wondering about how we got Toney Douglas from the Lakers when he was a 1st round pick in exchange for a 2011 2nd rounder and 3 million in cash. Seems like a waste of a 1st round pick for me but now when I consider this I suppose it makes sense

nyk_nyk

All Star
Well I was just wondering about how we got Toney Douglas from the Lakers when he was a 1st round pick in exchange for a 2011 2nd rounder and 3 million in cash. Seems like a waste of a 1st round pick for me but now when I consider this I suppose it makes sense

Yeah LA definitely came out better on that deal. They needed the extra cash to re-up on Gasol and Odom. 3 mil AND a 2nd round pick was a bit too much.

nyk_nyk

All Star
cant say that yet. i think douglas will have a break out year this year.

Break out year how? We pretty much have our scorers in place and while he is currently slated to be the back up PG, Felton will see the majority of minutes at that spot. He can have a break out year with the steals but he isn't scoring more or assisting any better.

I said from day 1 that he may end up having a Mo Wiliams type career. Not bad at all but nothing we hold on to long term.

DieHardPassion

Benchwarmer
Well if the 1st round pick is from 25-30 than it's not really worth the value and investment because if it's just a couple picks away from 2nd round picks in which it's not guaranteed. But again teams usually finds out if a player is a bust after they sign them and play in a season. So if you look it that way it won't matter. But everything prior to the 25th 1st round pick should be worth the investment in that it's pretty far away from the 2nd round picks.
In my perspective overall I believe 2nd round picks are better than 1st round picks from 25-30 in investment and value wise. But again it all depends...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Every draft is different.

But what I've seen in most drafts is that the bulk of the talent is from picks 1-18 or so and then the rest is sort of a crap shoot. A late first rounder isn't much more valuable than an early second rounder, and a 28th first round pick isn't necessarily more likely to succeed than a #2 2nd round pick...

Paul1355

All Star
I think we are seeing a change in the value of 2nd rounders... in the future it appears to be that teams will stack up on 2nd round picks versus moving up in the first round.

it appears that after the first few picks or the first 14 (lottery).. there is a significant dropoff in talent. most temas would rather have non guaranteed contracts then guaranteed contracts for first rounders that will take up cap for the first two years.

2nd rounder are normally throw in in trades and are looked at as an after thought... so they r easy to aquire

teams would rather gamble on three secound rounders with hope to find a diamond in the ruff versus cap holds from anywhere from 1-5 mil for first round bust.

if there is a player you really want in the 1st round.. youcan always package some pics with cash and get the player you want....

your thoughts.......
Fields can be a role player this year, huge surprise there, I wish we got Stephenson instead of Rautins then Donnie would have gotten an A+ for draft night