Scouting Reports for Felton and Randolph

iJoe

Rotation player
Scouting Reports for Future and Potential Knicks Players

Lets keep this thread alive with intelligent and researched scouting reports, both from online and our own (as unbiased as you can) opinions.

Lets start with Felton.

This report is from 08, but shows a little of how hes progressed and what his potential is. Notably, his jumper has been improving of late, especially from the 3 line.

Overview: A lightning quick point guard who is still trying to recapture the individual and team success that he experienced as a collegiate at UNC, and made him a top-5 pick. Won an NCAA championship at UNC as a junior in 2005. His quickness, strength, and explosiveness are ideal even by NBA standards, though his physical stature is only average. Has quickly become a quality NBA point guard, and has the potential to get even better, even though he?s been hurt by Charlotte?s lack of stability from the sidelines. Future success largely depends on whether Larry Brown will try to rein him in, or allow him to play the type of up-tempo basketball that best suits him.

Offense: Operates primarily off of the pick and roll, but also gets some of his shots from spot up and isolation situations. A great pick and roll point guard due to his ability to turn the corner, create passing lanes, and find the open man. One of the best point guards in the League at throwing full court bounce passes. The most impressive aspect of his point guard skills stem from the way he pushes the ball in transition. Very good at getting to an open area, receiving the outlet, and advancing the ball up the floor in a hurry. Capable of turning regular possessions into fast break opportunities. Few players can match his agility, ball handling, and court vision on the move. A poor shooter from behind the 3-point line, which is the #1 thing he will have to improve on to become more than just an average NBA point guard. Could still stand to improve his finishing ability around the rim, which is hampered by his poor size. Tends to drive left when he attacks the basket, and usually gets all the way to the rim. Absorbs contact better than most point guards. Shoots a pretty decent percentage from the line, but could always improve in that aspect of the game. Seems to get going too fast at times, leading to turnovers, but is starting to control tempo like an NBA floor general. It would probably serve him well to improve his midrange game to diversify his offensive repertoire.

Defense: A great ball-hawk, pressuring his man the entire length of the floor and being a general nuisance when his man has the ball. Great lateral quickness. His ability to jump into passing lanes allows him to create some turnovers, though he tends to avoid taking unnecessary risks. A smart defender considering his experience level, and much of his ability can be contributed to his time at North Carolina. Shows a willingness to go after long rebounds, but would just as soon get ready to receive an outlet pass. Size will always be a hindrance in this area, though, as opposing guards can easily see the floor and get shots off against him.

Randolph from 09 summer league

Randolph?s physical gifts are impossible to ignore, and are clearly a huge part in what makes him such a special talent. 6-10, with a pterodactyl wingspan and freakish athleticism, there are very few players in the NBA he can be compared to. He used his athleticism to make a number of unbelievable plays throughout the week, particularly utilizing his length around the rim.

What makes Randolph unique is his ability to create his own shot from the perimeter at his size, or operate as a super fluid one-man fast break. He possesses a devastating first step and excellent ball-handling skills, to go along with great coordination and extremely advanced footwork. It?s not rare to see him tap-dancing his way to the basket with the greatest of ease, often throwing in lightning quick spin-moves along the way, only to stop on a dime and then pivot in the opposite direction for an effortless finish.

Randolph got to the free throw line like an absolute machine in Vegas?21 times in a single game in fact (!)?and although he was getting calls at times as if he were a 10-year summer league vet, it wasn?t hard to see how tough a cover he is for almost any player to guard. Randolph also didn?t shy away from taking his man down to the paint and showing his post repertoire. This is an interesting part of his game that can still be developed into a terrific weapon, as his excellent combination of quickness and footwork really makes him a big mismatch against small forwards and power forwards alike, despite his lack of strength.

Thanks to his size, Randolph also has the ability to rise up and get his shot off almost whenever he pleases, and he indeed showed a very nice turnaround jumper he can use to bail himself out when he gets himself into trouble.

Despite all the positives, there are still a number of glaring holes to Randolph?s game that he must iron out if he wants to reach his incredibly high ceiling. Considering that he?s still only 20 years old, this might not come as all that much of a surprise.

For one, Randolph?s jump-shot is still very much a work in progress. He didn?t hit a single 3-pointer in Las Vegas, and was fairly streaky from mid-range as well. His shooting mechanics remain poor, and he still seems to settle for difficult shots off the dribble, which his matchup in the NBA would gladly give him almost anytime. Randolph has a bad habit of kicking his legs out, fading away excessively and even falling down on his jump-shot attempts, likely in an attempt to draw calls from the referees. Not only is he bailing the other team out with these bad shots, he?s also giving them an easy opportunity to score in transition while he collects himself off the floor.

Randolph?s lack of strength makes it difficult for him to finish his moves around the basket at times, especially when going up against long, athletic NBA caliber big men who can deny him the space he needs to get his shot off?of which they were few of here at this summer league. He also still heavily favors his left hand almost exclusively on his finishes around the rim. While here in Vegas that would never be an issue, an NBA advanced scout would absolutely make that a focal point of an opposing team?s scouting report.

Defensively, there are still plenty of question marks that need to be answered about Randolph?s position in the NBA. He is almost certainly too frail and weak to guard most NBA power forwards without emerging as a liability, and just isn?t fundamentally sound, experienced or intense enough to guard most small forwards at this point either. Randolph?s incredible combination of quickness, footwork and length should allow all the potential in the world to develop into an above average defender at the very least, but he must be willing to put the time in both on and off the court if he wants to develop this part of his game. Considering the teams he?s played for, though, and the message that was likely sent on a nightly basis by those around him, it?s tough to fault him for not showing much in this area.

Randolph?s talent in this setting was truly mesmerizing to watch at times, and you really wonder just how good of a player he could develop into over the next few years if he continues to improve his game. He?s still a long ways away from being a consistently productive, efficient all-around basketball player who helps his team win games on a nightly basis, though, meaning the jury is still very much out on him.

From Dexpress

My thoughts

I'm really hoping the Knicks finally hit some gold this year.

Felton doesn't really have a downside. He can either be a mid-talent performer like he was on the bobcats, or show the world what he can do now that he's not strapped down by Larry Brown.

Randolph on the other hand is almost like a 1st round draft pick by the knicks. The Warriors haven't really done much to develop him with Nelson as the coach. He has the potential to become an all star with a huge skill set, or into a Deer that can't be coached like Stromile Swift.

Either way, this season is gonna be fun to watch :gony::gony:

Last edited:

YoKnicks

Rookie
is randolph 100% healthy yet? if so..watch out league! he was a beast for the warriors whenever he got playing time

portega1968

El Cacique
Felton with Stat and Randolph are poised to write an epic chapter in the history of fastbreak basketball. With Gallo and Rudy guarding the wings (I smell his jersey heading to the stores already), I will baptize them as the Furious Five =)

metrocard

Legend
Felton with Stat and Randolph are poised to write an epic chapter in the history of fastbreak basketball. With Gallo and Rudy guarding the wings (I smell his jersey heading to the stores already), I will baptize them as the Furious Five =)

Felton 12 ppg 8 assist
Fernandez 15 ppg 3 reb 3 assist
Gallinari 17 ppg 5 reb 3 assist
Amare 23 ppg 9 reb 1blk
Randolph 13 ppg 10 reb 2 blk

nyk_nyk

All Star
Why do people keep positioning AR as the center??? The guy does not have the body to guard that position yet. He'll be in foul trouble all the damn time.

Right now he's a 3 or 4. That's it.

iJoe

Rotation player
God I hope Randolph isn't a deer.

Charles Barkley's quote;
You know, one of my favorite lines on television and he's in that category, is, man, that boy can run and jump. So can a deer. But I'd never put a deer in a game."

Anyone have a good report or opinion on Azubuike? I honestly haven't had the chance to see him play much. I know he can shoot the 3, but how about other aspects of his game?

Blas

Benchwarmer
God I hope Randolph isn't a deer.

Charles Barkley's quote;
You know, one of my favorite lines on television and he's in that category, is, man, that boy can run and jump. So can a deer. But I'd never put a deer in a game."

Anyone have a good report or opinion on Azubuike? I honestly haven't had the chance to see him play much. I know he can shoot the 3, but how about other aspects of his game?

From my own observations of watching past Golden State games:

Pros

- Athletic: Strong. Good leaping ability.
- Good finisher when he wants to go to the rim.
- Good 3pt shooter.
- Good perimeter defender.
- Good shot blocker: See blocks against JR smith and Rondo
- Good rebounder.
- Descent Passer, good at helping ball movement

Cons

- Injuries: I do not know if his body can handle big minutes
- Lateral Quickness: He does get beat off the dribble

He is a complete player. He has a lot of good things about him, just those nagging injuries keep him from developing into something greater. His career seems to point towards a amazing 6th man, mainly as for-mentioned, due to injuries.

iJoe

Rotation player
My favorite part of watching Azabuike on that highlight video is that hes not celebrating or going crazy after making a big play. He actually runs back on defense.

I'm hoping hes gonna surprise everyone after he recovers from his injuries. Hes more athletic than i expected.

Last edited:

iJoe

Rotation player
Shannon Brown

Not sure if this is a good move on our part, but its up to him now whether he wants to play for the Knicks or not. Report from 09

Overview: Powerfully built shooting guard. A bit undersized, but blessed with outstanding strength, a big wingspan, and explosive leaping ability. Not a great offensive talent, but has improved his efficiency and decision-making considerably. Plays tough defense. Was a highly touted prep player, playing in the McDonald?s All-American Game and being named Illinois Mr. Basketball while at Proviso East (IL). Didn?t make a big splash in the NCAA right away, but became a very solid overall player by his junior year. Landed in the late first round and struggled mightily early in his NBA career. Showed a glaring lack of efficiency in his first two seasons in the NBA, but turned things around in 2009 with the Lakers, playing a role in their Championship run. Made a sizeable impression, appearing to find his niche down the stretch.

Offense: Surprisingly efficient offensive player for the Lakers after struggling for so long. Gets about a third of his offense in spot-up situations, with another sizeable portion coming from fast breaks, cuts to the basket, and one-on-one opportunities. Never known as a great jump shooter, but showed marked improvements down the stretch. Has decent form highlighted by excellent elevation and a compact release. Doesn?t rush his jumper as much as he did early in his NBA career, helping him quite a bit. Pretty solid catch and shoot player when given time and space. Not nearly as consistent with a hand in his face or when he?s forced to pull up off the dribble. Triangle caters to his shooting ability and allows him to use his explosiveness at the rim as well. Extremely quick first step and attacks the rim like a cannonball. Not going to show a lot of shifty ball handling in the lane, but handles the ball intelligently, making one move and attacking. Very capable finisher due to his excellent leaping ability. Moves well off the ball, taking advantage of opportunities to go back door. Not a natural playmaker, but not horribly turnover prone either. Seems to have really worked on the things that will help him in the triangle.

Defense: Really solid defensive guard. Long, aggressive, active, quick, and strong. Gets down in a stance and shows solid lateral explosiveness, though he doesn?t respond well when he has to change directions on a dime. Doesn?t get blow by very often, preferring to give a foul than an easy basket. Shows solid defensive fundamentals when closing out shooters, not leaving his feet for anything short of a very aggressive shot fake. Displays very active hands, allowing him to strip the ball away in some situations. Lack of ideal lateral agility hurt him against some elite guards, though he?s able to compensate with other tools, and does a very nice job against shooting guards as well.

From Dexpress