Well Melo, welcome to NYC! Just a matter of time...

mafra

Legend
Would signing Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan plus Deshawn Stevenson, plus trading Randolph for a 1st round pick, and signing a backup PG...

Would adding a starting CENTER, a shooting guard who defends, a backup PG, 2 first round picks to the current roster.... Would this make more sense than trading 2 first round picks, Fields, Gallo and cap space for one player?

Hard to tell. I do want Carmelo though.

iSaYughh

Starter
^ even if that scenario was a wash with a Gutting To Get Carmelo scenario...It makes us Hawk-like.

This an era of dynasty and powerhouse talent. Being a pretty team that's wonderfully balanced and complete won't cut it. The recent Piston's championship squad -- that ilk isn't good enough anymore. Same for Hawks n those guys.

mafra

Legend
^ even if that scenario was a wash with a Gutting To Get Carmelo scenario...It makes us Hawk-like.

This an era of dynasty and powerhouse talent. Being a pretty team that's wonderfully balanced and complete won't cut it. The recent Piston's championship squad -- that ilk isn't good enough anymore. Same for Hawks n those guys.

I agree. I would get Carmelo, and try to pry Ridnour from MIN. THEN, I would use Chandler in a sign and trade after the season (if I could) to get DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol.

THEN, somehow, use full MLE, to get Stevenson.

Felton
Stevenson
Anthony
Amar'e
Stoudemire

Ridnour, Turiaf, Williams

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Listen this all comes down to putting us in the best position to win a chip. Can anyone say with certainty that adding a defensive center and backup PG puts us in that position? I seriously doubt it but doing so would tie our hands from further improving.

Contrast that to adding a legit star in Melo and solidifying a core of Melo, Amare and Felton and it's clear that is our best chance at a chip. Maybe not this year or next but a core of that caliber allows us to attract talent and role players. We can use our MLE to fill needs and it is always easier to fill role player needs than find a talent like Melo. There is only one clear choice...grab the best possible core possible and hope to fill needs as we can over the next few years.

iSaYughh

Starter
I agree. I would get Carmelo, and try to pry Ridnour from MIN. THEN, I would use Chandler in a sign and trade after the season (if I could) to get DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol.

THEN, somehow, use full MLE, to get Stevenson.

Felton
Stevenson
Anthony
Amar'e
Stoudemire

Ridnour, Turiaf, Williams

That's precisely what I'm desiring and envisioning us doing. I would also look into a Turiaf trade or not picking up his option (5M), and/or the same for Moz (3M), too. To ensure that happens, even picking up an additional big in replacement!

I love Ronnie, but given our needs and how we're built...the big men we do have can't be going down w random arthritis bouts. IMO, we don't have the luxury when we have such an unconventional...even thin...pf/c corps.

Melo-GlenDavis
STAT-DeandreJordon-Moz

That would be a truly righteous stable of a 4/5 rotation.

Even if we had to relinquish Chandler AND Gallo...I'd do it. We'll see just how little leverage DEN will truly have, though...

Felton-Ridnour
Fields-Douglas
Melo-Williams
Amare-Davis
Jordan-Mo

Title-worthy, IMHO. Maybe a guy like Mayo away from really cinching things.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Would signing Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan plus Deshawn Stevenson, plus trading Randolph for a 1st round pick, and signing a backup PG...

Would adding a starting CENTER, a shooting guard who defends, a backup PG, 2 first round picks to the current roster.... Would this make more sense than trading 2 first round picks, Fields, Gallo and cap space for one player?

Hard to tell. I do want Carmelo though.

get your priorities in order

core first...role players second....backups third

we still hve the rghts to jerome jordan, he can be our deandre jordan

mafra

Legend
Well, that's the good thing. Supposedly, DEN likes Fields and Walker. They also like Chandler (he's busted out this year) but are turned off by the fact he's due for his payday.

Randolph will have to be dealt to MIN for a 1st rounder. MIN also likes Mayo. Is it possible to pry Ridnour away from MIN with that 1st rounder? Is it possible to snag Gasol as well? Who knows.

DeAndre Jordan is BUSTING OUT right now. Look ate what the Clippers are doing, and he's right in the middle of it. I doubt LAC will let him walk. MEM probably wont let Gasol walk either, BUT Randolph is a free agent as well. They have Thabeet under contract, and they have 40 mil tied up next season already.

How do we get MIN-MEM-DEN-NYK to get on the same page?

MEM has a team right now moving fwd with Conley-Gay-Thabeet. They must pick one to sign (Randolph & Gasol). They can't pay both 10 mil per season.

MIN is building something around RUBIO-JOHNSON-BEASLEY-LOVE-DARKO.

Will MEM seek to dump Allen & Arthur? They have Vasquez & Conley at the PG (I want to have MIN send them FLYNN)... What to do?

MIN gets Anthony Randolph and OJ Mayo
NYK get Carmelo Anthony, Marc Gasol, Luke Ridnour
DEN gets Flynn, Fields, Walker, Curry, draft picks
MEM gets Turiaf, Gallinari, Affalo, draft pick

This probably wont work. I imagine they would have to find a team to take Chandler & Billups, so DEN and MEM can get one more piece each which makes the deal workable (HOU, POR, DAL, ???).

mafra

Legend
get your priorities in order

core first...role players second....backups third

we still hve the rghts to jerome jordan, he can be our deandre jordan

I hear you. But we need a center NEXT season. Not in 3 years. Carmelo-Amar'e will be fun, but they wont win a title unless they get a viable starting center. My priorities lie first and foremost in winning a title.

I do agree that you get Carmelo... But NOW is the time to get more than just Anthony. Have to thnk big here. MEM & MIN should both be brought into this. Knicks need to do more than just bring in Carmelo.

Sure, they could risk it come free agency and try to work sign and trade (Chandler for Gasol, Jordan) or hope a MLE or something nets a BIG. BUt why not go all out and try to really shoot for the moon right now.

Like you said, Carmelo, Felton, Amar'e are the team we are building around.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
This thread is a perfect example of how you can jinx yourself out of getting a superstar.

Because I am mildly superstitious, this thread should be closed, immediately!

Toons

is the Bo$$
I hear you. But we need a center NEXT season. Not in 3 years. Carmelo-Amar'e will be fun, but they wont win a title unless they get a viable starting center. My priorities lie first and foremost in winning a title.

I do agree that you get Carmelo... But NOW is the time to get more than just Anthony. Have to thnk big here. MEM & MIN should both be brought into this. Knicks need to do more than just bring in Carmelo.

Sure, they could risk it come free agency and try to work sign and trade (Chandler for Gasol, Jordan) or hope a MLE or something nets a BIG. BUt why not go all out and try to really shoot for the moon right now.

Like you said, Carmelo, Felton, Amar'e are the team we are building around.

rome wasnt built in a day bro...
we gatta take things as they come
we may have an option in jerome jordan, mozgov, or turiaf
we also have an option in azubuike, who is an easy 15 ppg player with defense
we have not fully seen the david lee deal fully come into fruition as yet.
i thought azubuike was the steal of the deal. We have yet to see, and for now we are bragging about turiaf, when azubuike fills the 2 guard need immediately. With buike starting at the 2, fields can bring in energy off the bench, which is desperately needed, as our second unit is last in the league in points.
With melo, we may not demand as much from mozgov on the offensive end, and he may be able to focus on defense more, and become an anderson verajao type player.
i see where your going, real talk, but i think we dont have a shot at the title this year. I never did. Even with the players we want, we are inexperienced as a unit, have zero playoff experience as a team, and wont stand a chance against the heat, lakers, celtics in 7 games.