Fire D'ant Pickup Jerry Sloan!

welcometonycity

Rotation player
HOF for sure. He's 68 years old, he might be serious about staying retired.

He left because of the bullsh*t thats going on over there. Last nights halftime blow up didnt help either.
He didnt leave because hes tired.
He dont play games, just what we need.

Plus he can retire here and live here :)
Cant live in deadass salt lake city.

KBlack25

Starter
We shouldn't get Sloan b/c his strategy never won an NBA Title.

Or does that line of argument sound stupid now various people who cry about MDA non-stop on this board?

MusketeerX

Rotation player
We shouldn't get Sloan b/c his strategy never won an NBA Title.

Or does that line of argument sound stupid now various people who cry about MDA non-stop on this board?

Sloan preaches a better all around game. His teams have actually made it to the NBA Championship round. But, as the Knicks can attest -- getting past Jordan era Bulls was very unlikely.

D'Antoni never made it that far. Ever.

Sloan preaches a better all around game. His teams have actually made it to the NBA Championship round. But, as the Knicks can attest -- getting past Jordan era Bulls was very unlikely.

50 bucks KBlack argues Dantoni would've got there if Amare never came off the bench..

KBlack25

Starter

To clarify...

I don't agree with the argument if one were to say Sloan is overrated.

But the argument that D'Antoni never won a title so that proves he is a bad coach is misplaced, because the same line of rationale applies to Sloan. D'Antoni dealt with some buzzsaw Spurs teams (one of which he could have beaten if not for the ridiculous "Get Off The Bench-Get Suspended" Rule).

There are many reasons you can dislike D'Antoni as a coach, but the fact that he didn't win a title should not be one of them.

In summation, the argument of: "D'Antoni did not win a title therefore he is a bad coach" is horribly misplaced, and is obviously not true with people clamoring for Sloan, and if you think Sloan is a bad coach then you have serious mental problems.

KBlack25

Starter
50 bucks KBlack argues Dantoni would've got there if Amare never came off the bench..

Not quite...He would have stood a better chance though. No way to know what would have happened b/c the game didn't play out that way.

Just trying to put to rest the "D'Antoni Didn't Win It All" argument, b/c the same applies to Sloan...who is a phenomenal coach and would be great with the Knicks. The Knicks won't get him.

KBlack25

Starter
And as for not getting past the Jordan-era Bulls, I agree, it was nearly impossible and the Knicks probably had the 2nd best team in the league three of the years that Jordan won.

But the fact that Jordan was in our conference didn't stop JA Adande from tweeting yesterday that the Knicks are a horribly overrated franchise b/c they only have 2 titles, the same as Houston. It just goes to show illogical lines of argument are pervasive, even with people paid to formulate them.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
To clarify...

I don't agree with the argument if one were to say Sloan is overrated.

But the argument that D'Antoni never won a title so that proves he is a bad coach is misplaced, because the same line of rationale applies to Sloan. D'Antoni dealt with some buzzsaw Spurs teams (one of which he could have beaten if not for the ridiculous "Get Off The Bench-Get Suspended" Rule).

There are many reasons you can dislike D'Antoni as a coach, but the fact that he didn't win a title should not be one of them.

In summation, the argument of: "D'Antoni did not win a title therefore he is a bad coach" is horribly misplaced, and is obviously not true with people clamoring for Sloan, and if you think Sloan is a bad coach then you have serious mental problems.

Not arguing that because he never won a championship he is a bad coach. I'm arguing he is a bad coach and thus never made it to the western conference finals. His teams are inherently flawed.

Jeff Van Gundy is one of my favorite coaches of all time. He didn't win a championship, but he is still a great coach. Also, note that his teams made it to the NBA finals, even after Ewing had passed his prime and wasn't invovled in the playoffs. Why, because he preached a better all around game and had players that played not just offense, but defense as well.

KBlack25

Starter
Not arguing that because he never won a championship he is a bad coach. I'm arguing he is a bad coach and thus never made it to the western conference finals. His teams are inherently flawed.

Jeff Van Gundy is one of my favorite coaches of all time. He didn't win a championship, but he is still a great coach. Also, note that his teams made it to the NBA finals, even after Ewing had passed his prime and wasn't invovled in the playoffs. Why, because he preached a better all around game and had players that played not just offense, but defense as well.

I mean that finals was a weird year, we wound up an 8 seed in a shortened season got all the way to the finals b/c our rotation was deep as shit and the league was sort of in a lull after the Jordan retirement...A lot of things going on that year. Pretty sure two teams, the Spurs and the Jazz actually practiced during the lockout, and no other teams did, which is why those two teams were so dominant that year.

I love JVG as a coach too, I wish he would come back (I think he has said he will not), and I wasn't referencing you particularly but I have heard the argument "D'Antoni hasn't won a championship - proof his system doesn't work and he is a bad coach" which I have always said is misplaced (even citing JVG as an example).

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I mean that finals was a weird year, we wound up an 8 seed in a shortened season got all the way to the finals b/c our rotation was deep as shit and the league was sort of in a lull after the Jordan retirement...A lot of things going on that year. Pretty sure two teams, the Spurs and the Jazz actually practiced during the lockout, and no other teams did, which is why those two teams were so dominant that year.

I love JVG as a coach too, I wish he would come back (I think he has said he will not), and I wasn't referencing you particularly but I have heard the argument "D'Antoni hasn't won a championship - proof his system doesn't work and he is a bad coach" which I have always said is misplaced (even citing JVG as an example).

No, I understand. By bringing up JVG I was trying to show that I also subscribe to theory that just because you haven't won a ring, doesn't mean you're a bad coach (or player for that matter).

My only point is that D'Antoni is a bad coach because his system is flawed. Any systems that completely preaches offense and very little defense will not win rings. It has short term benefits, such as winning games, but lacks the long term longevity that an all-around team can bring.

If you are number one in offense all year round, and last in defense, logic stands to follow that you are going to end up in the middle of the pack, not near the top.

Note, I'm not saying the Knicks are the worst defensive team in the league, but I am saying that you need both offense and defense to win rings. The fact that D'Antoni's teams never made it to the finals, is evidence that even with incredible talent, his philosophy is flawed. It is exciting basketball, but flawed nonetheless.

There is a reason why the Lakers have won 5 of the last 6. Strong interior presence, great all around team defense, and magnificent offense. It is why the Celts are contenders each year. Excellent defense. Sure they have great talent in their big three (now big 4), but if it weren't for their defense, they wouldn't be there each year.

D'Antoni had the best all around point guard, in my mind, to ever play pro bball; as dominant a power forward as you are likely to see; great role playing talent; and still couldn't seal the deal. Why? Because his team didn't preach defense.

It would have been one thing if they could have pushed 7 games in the NBA Finals, but, if I remember correctly, they couldn't even get past game 6 in the Western Conference Finals.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Part of D'Antoni's lack of success has to be attributed to the players he had.

Let's be honest, Steve Nash is not a good defender. No matter who's coaching him.

Amar'e Stoudemire is not a good defender. No matter who's coaching him.

Defense is just as much about personnel as it is about coaching so maybe if D'Antoni had some better defenders on his team...yes, he did have Raja Bell, but while he had great defense at SG and SF with Bell and Marion he had awful defense at PG and pretty lackluster defense at PF.

So yes while the system takes some credit for D'Antoni's inability to beat the Spurs, the players have to take some credit too. And let's not forget that he was going up against some damn good teams.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
And the fact that you call Steve Nash the best all around point guard to ever play the game is laughable. He is an absolute black hole on defense, he can't guard anybody.

He's great offensively but to say that he's better than the likes of Magic Johnson and John Stockton who were players who excelled on both ends of the floor is laughable. Steve Nash is a great point guard, but he's not a good defender. I'll take slightly less impressive offensive numbers and tough-nosed defense over all-out offense anyday.

Sloan retired, he won't take over any other team imo, unless it's L.A. next season and he might have one last shot at the trophy.

But the idea is nice, Sloan is an odl-school coach who likes intengibles and defense. Would be perfect for us Knicks fans.

Send D'Antoni, Felton and Randolph to Utah for Sloan and D-Will :smokin: