The future

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Looking into it isn't a bad thing but looking too far into it is.

So many things can happen between now and when Gallo, Fields, Douglas etc are ready.

I'm not suggesting we sell "the farm" just to get a crack at Melo, I'm asking a simple question.

Does Melo alone make NY a contender?

Let's look at what he gives us to start with. One of the best 3 players in his position (the others of course being LBJ and KD). LeBron is no doubt the better all round player and so tops the list and KD has the POTENTIAL to move into second (first if you add the intangibles). Melo is as sweet a scorer as there is in the game today but he's not going to make us contenders straight away, I have to agree with Chuck on that one.

Billups
?
Melo
Amar'e
?

That's the bottom line. We are looking to keep either Gallo or Fields but we won't keep both if we want this trade to happen. Now Fields slots in NOW, can do a job NOW, is better than what we have NOW and has potential to improve in the future. I don't care if people would rather have "the next dirk" for trades, if you take Melo then you negate Melo for a year or play him out of position to the detriment of the team.

So the answer for me seems to be in the present, not the future.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
?

Now this looks more like a contender but obviously that one huge piece that you must have is still missing. Can Mozgov be it? I don't know, what I do know is, you don't trade away the possibility of an excellent C when you don't have one coming back the other way.

The key to the deal for me is whether the Knicks can keep Fields and still get a C in who can do the job NOW on a 1-2 year contract.

Why all of a sudden people want to look at just what Melo would add to the team now rather than what he would add to a team when we get the most important piece we are lacking first, well that's beyond me.

We've still got bench players even if we give up what Denver are asking minus Fields.

If that deal can be done and we can trade for a solid rebounding C then we do become a legit threat in the east. Top 4? Well who knows but it's a damn site more likely that without a rebounding C.

So how does it happen? Well I haven't got that far yet, but then that isn't my job. I just hope that behind the scenes they are thinking the same way.

If you're still in doubt whether we should give up what Denver want ask yourself this.

Do you ever see these players winning a title?

Felton
Chandler
Gallo
Amar'e
Mozgov

Nah, me neither. You're either moving forward or you're going backwards.

Now do you see this team winning a title?

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Solid C

More likely right?

What about this one (1 year ahead)

D-Will/CP3
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Solid C let's say Marc Gasol

Suddenly no one really cares where the other pieces went do they?

Speculate to accumulate, don't accumulate to speculate!

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Well said bruh!:beer: i agree completely. were title contenders next year with this team and were title contenders in the future as well.
:agreed:

la2ny

Starter
Perfect! :thumbsup:

I've been saying the same thing for awhile now. We all know Melo doesn't mean title, but with him Amar'e, potential for a 3rd star, and solid players who play there role, we'll be right there. On the other hand everyone keeps saying we're giving up too much, which I don't understand unless we pulled a Nets deal, but were aren't going anywhere with these guys we have now and they'll be gone in 2 years if the plan is D.Will or Cp3 anyways so. I just dont get it.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
The question now becomes, where do NY get a 1 year C from should these deals take place and how?

Why this wasn't taken into consideration and a third team that wanted to get younger added to the trade, again, I have to wonder what we are playing at.

la2ny

Starter
Im pretty sure Donnie has been keen to that. I think he's planning on keeping Mozgov though. Don't we also have Jerome Jordan coming over next year?? I forgot about him. Maybe you look at the Dalemberts' of the world.

skisloper

Starter
Im pretty sure Donnie has been keen to that. I think he's planning on keeping Mozgov though. Don't we also have Jerome Jordan coming over next year?? I forgot about him. Maybe you look at the Dalemberts' of the world.

Donnie ain't negotiating......

Isiah and Dolan are and thats where we get raped.

STAT1

Starter
If you're still in doubt whether we should give up what Denver want ask yourself this.

Do you ever see these players winning a title?

Felton
Chandler
Gallo
Amar'e
Mozgov

That's pretty much what it boils down to for me. The team we have right now isn't going to be anything more than a perennial .500 win team. Whether the future is now or 2 years from now, the simple fact is that guys like Gallo & Wilson are probably gone if the Knicks ever want to target guys like Melo & CP3 in free agency. That's just a fact unless the salary cap gets increased by about $10-15 million dollars in the next CBA which is not likely to happen. So the question you guys need to be asking yourselves is not whether you think Melo will make us a contender, but whether Gallo & Wilson will, because at the end of the day you're going to have to make that distinction at some point, both of those guys will have to go if we're ever going to target other bigname free agents in the next few years.

I can understand people not wanting to give up too much for a player we might be able to sign as a free agent, but there's no guarantee of anything at this point, I don't think the Knicks can afford to leave things up to fate after losing out on Lebron last summer and no other free agents close to Melo's level being available this summer. Wasting yet another year and a half waiting for Deron, CP3 or Dwight Howard who we don't even know 100% certain that those guys will want out of their current situations is not a good way to go when your franchise player has a history of injuries and is here right now busting his ass trying to carry this team to a championship. The Knicks need to take advantage of every single year we have Amare playing at a high level, not treading water for another year & a half while we wait for things that may never come our way.