Just got back from Phoenix and wanted their take on our coach..their former

moneyg

Starter
...I couldn't find anyone that wanted him back.. or was upset that he left....

I got laughed at for the Knicks being "stupid enough to hire his as a coach, when the writing was on the wall.."

i was talking to the TSA worker at the airport and he goes.... "that guy doesnt have defense in his vocabulary"

There were a few knicks fans out there as well and I told them about this site.

it was good to get the formers opinion on him.. i thought they actually praised this guy...not true....they praised nash... amare too.. but not as much as nash....

i offered to overnight him back to PHX via fedex and i got a firm.. "No Thanks, he's your problem now"

...I couldn't find anyone that wanted him back.. or was upset that he left....

I got laughed at for the Knicks being "stupid enough to hire his as a coach, when the writing was on the wall.."

i was talking to the TSA worker at the airport and he goes.... "that guy doesnt have defense in his vocabulary"

There were a few knicks fans out there as well and I told them about this site.

it was good to get the formers opinion on him.. i thought they actually praised this guy...not true....they praised nash... amare too.. but not as much as nash....

i offered to overnight him back to PHX via fedex and i got a firm.. "No Thanks, he's your problem now"
Lmao its good to know that even the people from Phoenix realized how bad of a coach MDA is.

knicksin60

Starter
It doesn't take a genius to realize that Mike D'antoni is one of the most overrated coaches in the nearly 65 years that the NBA has been around. Not only should Steve Nash have won back to back MVP awards but he should have won multiple coach of the year awards for making Mike D'antoni look like the difference maker between the team that the Suns were before he arrived there to the team that won 60 plus games. Without Steve Nash, Mike D'antoni is just another Brian Winters.

Hiring him to be coach of the NY Knicks has to fall in the same category as the Federick Wiess drafting, the Stephon Marbury trade, the Jerome James/Eddy Curry deals and every other disgusting move that this franchise has suffered through in the past decade.

Anyone who defends Mike D'antoni has either got to be always strung-out on drugs, has been spending too much time buying "the D'antoni Delusion", has to be related to him in some form or finds him physically attractive.I don't really comprehend how a person can call themselves a die hard Knick fan and look at him as a serviceable coach. The man is as useless as the vestigial organ of a primate.Well I take that back, he is useful when it comes to coaching his team to get slapped around on the defensive by the garbage of the NBA.I can't wait until he is out of here!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'd also be able to say that I went to PHX, come back to this site, and have 100 positive stories about Mike D'Antoni myself. My cousin is a huge PHX fan & misses both MDA & Amare ;-)

I'm sure those PHX fans enjoyed a winning % of .650 during his 5 years with PHX in an extremely tough Western Conf. 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs with top 5 offensive attacks. 4 season's of at least 54 wins. Two of those 4 years were with 60+ wins. MDA became one of only 3 NBA head coaches who ever turned around & coached a 50 loss team from the previous season, to a 50-60+ win team the following year. Beat Kobe & the Lakers twice during consecutive playoff seasons, split 1-1 against Cuban, Dirk & the Mavs (6-6), eliminated the Clippers during a game 7 & swept the Grizz. Without MDA; PHX never signs Steve Nash to begin with. MDA is still considered the greatest offensive Itilian league PG of All-Time.

The only thing those PHX fans never enjoyed were 3 playoff defeats to the Dynasty San Antonio Spurs.

I bet the OP's story is valid.. on another bball site I go on alot of suns fans where happy when Dantoni was finally let go. And they still maintain til this day he's an overrated coach.

I enjoyed my Knicks era since 92 but that still doesn't change the fact that I hated the years & hard times of losing to MJ & the Bulls, Reggie & the Pacers or Hakeem & the Rockets back in 94 under Riley. We had the Heat's number, but I also hated the times we got eliminated by Hardaway, Mourning & the Heat + getting dominated by the Spurs during the Finals under JVG. Hated to see Ewing leave NY for Seattle like he wasn't our greatest Knick of all-time. Still doesn't change the fact I enjoyed plenty of success as a fan growing up under the Ewing, Oakley, Mason, Charles Smith, Starks, Harper & old man Herb era.

The same fans who always stated that "Amare wasn't Amare without Nash" have been proven wrong this year; by Amare Stoudemire himself.

The same fans still saying "MDA wouldn't be MDA without Nash" have already been proven wrong by basketball fans who know better. The Knicks rank #2 in offensive points scored. Where is Nash? Not with MDA here in NY with the NBA's 2nd leading offensive scoring attack...

smokes

Huge Member
Honestly, I don't like MDA too much for NY but those PHX fans are just being fans. Remember he bailed on that franchise after 4 years of success of course the fans there don't like him.

I bet they were cumming all over themselves having their little desert town actually playing great basketball regardless of Nash and whoever else.

It's easy for them to talk shit, after the fact. But if the Knicks had been to the ECF and deep into the playoffs several times in the last few seasons we'd all be a hell of a lot happier with MDA than we are right now.

I'm sure we'd all still be whining about his defense but still.

Red

TYPE-A
I'm pretty sure I'd also be able to say that I went to PHX, come back to this site, and have 100 positive stories about Mike D'Antoni myself. My cousin is a huge PHX fan & misses both MDA & Amare ;-)

I'm sure those PHX fans enjoyed a winning % of .650 during his 5 years with PHX in an extremely tough Western Conf. 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs with top 5 offensive attacks. 4 season's of at least 54 wins. Two of those 4 years were with 60+ wins. MDA became one of only 3 NBA head coaches who ever turned around & coached a 50 loss team from the previous season, to a 50-60+ win team the following year. Beat Kobe & the Lakers twice during consecutive playoff seasons, split 1-1 against Cuban, Dirk & the Mavs (6-6), eliminated the Clippers during a game 7 & swept the Grizz. Without MDA; PHX never signs Steve Nash to begin with. MDA is still considered the greatest offensive Itilian league PG of All-Time.

The only thing those PHX fans never enjoyed were 3 playoff defeats to the Dynasty San Antonio Spurs.

Yaaawn...
By "winning 60 games" with a "top rated" offense and having nothing to show for it, except a coach of the year award, Mike D'Antoni just proved DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS...

Guess he didn't learn that in Italy.

Ever hear of quantity -vs- quality? Kinda like you having 800 posts and no rep. Let me guess you could care less about rep...

No wonder, you and Mike have a lot in common.:whack:

Honestly, I don't like MDA too much for NY but those PHX fans are just being fans. Remember he bailed on that franchise after 4 years of success of course the fans there don't like him.

I bet they were cumming all over themselves having their little desert town actually playing great basketball regardless of Nash and whoever else.

It's easy for them to talk shit, after the fact. But if the Knicks had been to the ECF and deep into the playoffs several times in the last few seasons we'd all be a hell of a lot happier with MDA than we are right now.

I'm sure we'd all still be whining about his defense but still.

No, as I recall his GM Kerr wanted him to stress defense more, and bring in an assistant. He didn't . History.

His response on the Michael Kay show when asked "if he would be opposed to bringing in a defensive assistant"

Was "no I'm not opposed, why would I be? Now that's hypothetical and it assumes we don't know what the hell we are doing... <dumb chuckle-dumb chuckle>"

Mike wake up. Take a hint. Or you could keep playing coy and ignorant, but like I mentioned in that other thread, the writing is on the wall. He's been exposed, warned, and if he values $6mil per, he'll get the hint.

He can't fool NY. This ain't PHX.

smokes

Huge Member
No, as I recall his GM Kerr wanted him to stress defense more, and bring in an assistant. He didn't . History.

His response on the Michael Kay show when asked "if he would be opposed to bringing in a defensive assistant"

Was "no I'm not opposed, why would I be? Now that's hypothetical and it assumes we don't know what the hell we are doing... <dumb chuckle-dumb chuckle>"

Mike wake up. Take a hint. Or you could keep playing coy and ignorant, but like I mentioned in that other thread, the writing is on the wall. He's been exposed, warned, and if he values $6mil per, he'll get the hint.

He can't fool NY. This ain't PHX.

Yeah but MDA chose to leave the franchise because he was under pressure to adopt a more defensive approach. It was his decision in the end. He left PHX after bringing them several years of success so it doesn't surprise me that PHX fans are bitter.

Red

TYPE-A
Yeah but MDA chose to leave the franchise because he was under pressure to adopt a more defensive approach. It was his decision in the end. He left PHX after bringing them several years of success so it doesn't surprise me that PHX fans are bitter.

Being ahead in a race only to fall before the finish line isn't success, unless its the special olympics.

TakMan

Rotation player
It doesn't take a genius to realize that Mike D'antoni is one of the most overrated coaches in the nearly 65 years that the NBA has been around. Not only should Steve Nash have won back to back MVP awards but he should have won multiple coach of the year awards for making Mike D'antoni look like the difference maker between the team that the Suns were before he arrived there to the team that won 60 plus games. Without Steve Nash, Mike D'antoni is just another Brian Winters.

Seriously? You're going down that route? What exactly has Nash and his team achieved since D'Antoni left, other than a steady decline. Yes they lost many useful players in the process but that was partly due to their belief that they were going nowhere following D'Antoni's departure. One of their stars followed the coach to the Knicks. Watching the suns play back then was exciting. Whether or not D'Antoni can emulate that success with the Knicks once they obtain a competitive roster is a different story. All I know is, if there is any truth that there are many Suns fans who are happier now than when D'Antoni was coaching them, then they need to look up the word masochist, as it defines them.

smokes

Huge Member
Being ahead in a race only to fall before the finish line isn't success, unless its the special olympics.

I'd take PHX record under MDA than the record we had during those years any day :p

Red you know I am not a MDA supported but really, he's a better coach and more successful coach than anyone we've had for quite some time. I still don't believe he will win a ring unless he adopts a much more balanced approach but you can't argue he has had some degree of success.

iSaYughh

Starter
I'd take PHX record under MDA than the record we had during those years any day :p

Red you know I am not a MDA supported but really, he's a better coach and more successful coach than anyone we've had for quite some time. I still don't believe he will win a ring unless he adopts a much more balanced approach but you can't argue he has had some degree of success.

His leaving had a lot to do with Sarver, too. The relationship between he, Gm/Kerr, sarver was increasingly toxic.

And justly so.

PHO fans don't woe the losses to the Spurs...but what Sarver did to the franchise during a 2005-2010 championship window, cutting corners by being the definition of a "cheap" owner. Who incidentally, didn't have nearly as much paper money as ppl thought.

Red says defense wins championships. Dude... Stop going off of what you've seen "here & there". Go off what you've actually seen on a daily basis surrounding the Knicks.

We ALWAYS has top 1-5 D's under Riley with Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Harper, Mason, Herb & Charles Smith etc etc.

How many championships did we win with those ELITE D's under the Riley? Exactly. Zero.

We never had the OFFENSE that could out-score Jackson, MJ, Pippen & the Bulls. We were only 1 superstar away from beating those guys. What could have been.

No matter HOW great that defense was, we still couldn't stop Jordan from dropping 40-50 on his worst nights playing with a flue & Reggie Miller made our defense look like we were playing with clown shoes on most nights.

You'll always need defense to make tough stops but the NBA is a star-driven scoring league. Basketball is the highest scoring sport in all of sports.

We haven't won a ring since 72. Stop acting like MDA was the cause of that. Riley never won US jack either, with GREAT D's

petescud

Starter
Well we do have our version of Reggie Miller now in Melo. Very similar players except Melo actually has a better game IMO...RM was more a 3 point guy. Banged them with the best I've ever seen, and i've been watching the NBA/Aba..lol since the late 60's..If Melo would take a lesson from LBJ and pass for like 6 assist a game, his game would go thru the roof. Discipline is all he needs to learn/adjust his game to as well as being consistent on defense

TakMan

Rotation player
Red says defense wins championships. Dude... Stop going off of what you've seen "here & there". Go off what you've actually seen on a daily basis surrounding the Knicks.

We ALWAYS has top 1-5 D's under Riley with Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Harper, Mason, Herb & Charles Smith etc etc.

How many championships did we win with those ELITE D's under the Riley? Exactly. Zero.

We never had the OFFENSE that could out-score Jackson, MJ, Pippen & the Bulls. We were only 1 superstar away from beating those guys. What could have been.

No matter HOW great that defense was, we still couldn't stop Jordan from dropping 40-50 on his worst nights playing with a flue & Reggie Miller made our defense look like we were playing with clown shoes on most nights.

You'll always need defense to make tough stops but the NBA is a star-driven scoring league. Basketball is the highest scoring sport in all of sports.

We haven't won a ring since 72. Stop acting like MDA was the cause of that. Riley never won US jack either, with GREAT D's

Yes but the difference here is that with the defence we currently play, we make Brandon Jennings look like Reggie Miller, and Tyler Hansbrough appears to be a white David Robinson. Also I can'r recall the 2004 Pistons winning the championship on anything other than defence. You can appreciate that there is a decent defensive display, and then there is a non-existent defensive display. Currently the Knicks fall into category two. They really need to change that if they are ever to compete.

smokes

Huge Member
Yes but the difference here is that with the defence we currently play, we make Brandon Jennings look like Reggie Miller, and Tyler Hansbrough appears to be a white David Robinson. Also I can'r recall the 2004 Pistons winning the championship on anything other than defence. You can appreciate that there is a decent defensive display, and then there is a non-existent defensive display. Currently the Knicks fall into category two. They really need to change that if they are ever to compete.

The thing that makes it even more frustrating I think is that it is NOT "non-existent", but we only show it for brief flashes, a quarter or a half at a time, one game out of 5...

We know we CAN play good defense which is why watching us play NO defense is really irritating.

TakMan

Rotation player
The thing that makes it even more frustrating I think is that it is NOT "non-existent", but we only show it for brief flashes, a quarter or a half at a time, one game out of 5...

We know we CAN play good defense which is why watching us play NO defense is really irritating.

Yep, definitely demonstrated the potential to be an above average defensive team. That's why I don't put all the blame on the coach. Sometimes you get the feeling the players just think that little bit too much of themselves, hence the under 50 team losses. Anthony is looking like he has a point to prove in the past 3-4 games, partly I think due to Denver playing well after he left. Stoudamire is the big question mark defensively. Any sort of effort from him would lift the entire team.

smokes

Huge Member
Yep, definitely demonstrated the potential to be an above average defensive team. That's why I don't put all the blame on the coach. Sometimes you get the feeling the players just think that little bit too much of themselves, hence the under 50 team losses. Anthony is looking like he has a point to prove in the past 3-4 games, partly I think due to Denver playing well after he left. Stoudamire is the big question mark defensively. Any sort of effort from him would lift the entire team.

Exactly some of the blame lies on the coach though definitely, but some also lies on the players.

If Melo and Amare step it up as they have over the last few games and continue to at least put in the effort and intensity on defense in this run into the playoffs it will rub off and when our truly capable defensive players are on form we can actually get stops and lock down when we need to. On the other end with Melo, Stat and Billups we are always a threat to score.

I think this was why I prefer Miami in the first round.

Wade owns us but Melo Stat and Billups all have a clear advantage over their opposite number. Miami's bench while having some great players just doesn't play well.

If we run a defensive rotation like

Billups on Chalmers/Bibby
TD on Wade
Fields on Mike Miller
Melo on Lebron
Stat on Bosh
Turiaf/JJ on Anthony/Z/Dampier

We can shut that team down if we need to no question.

TakMan

Rotation player
Exactly some of the blame lies on the coach though definitely, but some also lies on the players.

If Melo and Amare step it up as they have over the last few games and continue to at least put in the effort and intensity on defense in this run into the playoffs it will rub off and when our truly capable defensive players are on form we can actually get stops and lock down when we need to. On the other end with Melo, Stat and Billups we are always a threat to score.

I think this was why I prefer Miami in the first round.

Wade owns us but Melo Stat and Billups all have a clear advantage over their opposite number. Miami's bench while having some great players just doesn't play well.

If we run a defensive rotation like

Billups on Chalmers/Bibby
TD on Wade
Fields on Mike Miller
Melo on Lebron
Stat on Bosh
Turiaf/JJ on Anthony/Z/Dampier

We can shut that team down if we need to no question.

Is it a criminal offence to state that I would prefer Jared Jeffries to guard LeBron James?