Melo Back To Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
Does anyone else think that it was not Phil but our genious owner Dolan who gave Melo this nonsense contract?
After watching Melos game here for a few years, i am convinced that he is not a player you can build around, his bball iq is very low IMO, and there is no way, any system or any coach can change his selfish approach, with no sense or understanding of a team concept. I think this is a big mistake, and we are going to be stuck with this monster untradable contract for a long time. Wait a minute, dont we have one already? Stat is still here, isnt he?

Yeah, this was all Dolan's doing.

Stop sleeping on Stat, no-body wants to play with ISO-Melo.

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, this was all Dolan's doing.

Stop sleeping on Stat, no-body wants to play with ISO-Melo.

Sleeping on STAT!

Yep REM sleep matter of fact where it results with him off this team and when I wake up... reality.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
I agree with some of this, but what about building through the draft in the worst case scenario?

Last season was INCREDIBLY disappointing, that makes me question this contract, then again, Woodson's coaching was that extraordinarily abysmal. Think about it, no matter how flawed you think Melo is, he would have at LEAST taken the Knicks to the Playoffs if the coach had any sense.

I'm intrigued by the new leadership and system for not only Melo, for Stoudemire, the young guys, and rest of the team.

I don't like the contract, but there WILL be a lot cap space after next season.

The problem with building through the draft is that we haven't drafted well for TWO DECADES. I mean the list of bust draft picks starting with passing on Ron Artest for Fredric Weiss is staggering. You almost have to try to draft as badly as we have. You get a lottery draft pick and waste it on your coach's godson Danillo Gallinari????:( c'mon man the only good that came out of that was Denver was dumber than us and took him and Mosgov for Melo. We robbed them on that one contrary to popular belief around here. Denver is nowhere near the playoffs with the bums we gave up for the league's best pure scorer next to KD. Last season was disappointing, but not because of Melo. That fault lies at the feet of STAT/Bargs. 40% of the teams payroll gave us NOTHING and Woody paid for stupid front office decisions with his job. Remember we won the Atlantic division the year before. Hopefully our new team President can change our front office/scouting so we can draft better than a fifth grader:)

Broadway

All Star
The problem with building through the draft is that we haven't drafted well for TWO DECADES. I mean the list of bust draft picks starting with passing on Ron Artest for Fredric Weiss is staggering. You almost have to try to draft as badly as we have. You get a lottery draft pick and waste it on your coach's godson Danillo Gallinari????:( c'mon man the only good that came out of that was Denver was dumber than us and took him and Mosgov for Melo. We robbed them on that one contrary to popular belief around here. Denver is nowhere near the playoffs with the bums we gave up for the league's best pure scorer next to KD. Last season was disappointing, but not because of Melo. That fault lies at the feet of STAT/Bargs. 40% of the teams payroll gave us NOTHING and Woody paid for stupid front office decisions with his job. Remember we won the Atlantic division the year before. Hopefully our new team President can change our front office/scouting so we can draft better than a fifth grader:)

By your logic you're going to be livid when Cearl/Than/2015 pick provide absolute no help for your Zero. I hope Cearl's fans are prepared to come to his defense because the stones are coming.

You're putting all your eggs in the 2015 cap space. Since you question rebuilding drafting....how about you ask yourself...

The last time we had cap space how did that work out

or

The last time we maxed out a shooting wing how did that work out.

jimkcchief88

All Star
By your logic you're going to be livid when Cearl/Than/2015 pick provide absolute no help for your Zero. I hope Cearl's fans are prepared to come to his defense because the stones are coming.

You're putting all your eggs in the 2015 cap space. Since you question rebuilding drafting....how about you ask yourself...

The last time we had cap space how did that work out

or

The last time we maxed out a shooting wing how did that work out.

Nooooo....I am just not putting all my eggs in the lottery pick basket....Remember our last lottery pick: Danillo Gallinari:( for a so called "Knicks Fan" you sure are hard on one of the game's best player who happens to be a Knick:(
I guess we will see how many more longtime posters u can chase off with your negativity:( as I'm here to stay on Chief

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like the ala carte contract option Melo took was to forego his 2015 7.5% raise which gives the Knicks around 1.7M more in cap flexibility in 2015 FA. 1.7M is better than nothing but it would have been better if Melo took the 4 year max money that other teams could offer spread over 5 years like I suggested.

When you look at a guy like Lebron who has made less than max money in 8/11 seasons he's played and only signed a 2 year deal to return to Cleveland it was not out of the question that Melo could have given the Knicks a bigger discount if he wanted a better surrounding cast to play with.

CoolClyde

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=11198565

Read this Melo haters...and no CC I didn't write this one either:)

another good farticle Jim with an eye on the overall picture. strange that no one really knows all the contractual stipulations yet (over 122M, under 129M), so its hard to judge the signing and future implications based on vague figures. all in all, i'm happy to see Melo back in O&B, and look forward to Phil providing Melo the right players to complement his game.

Lebron taking less and Melo taking less wouldn't have been the same deal. Lebron took less to sign with two other star players at the time he was signing. If Melo had done it to a greater extent, he'd be doing it in the hopes of another star coming in the future. Would it have been nice for him to take an even bigger discount? Sure, but he has no guarantee anyone else is coming here. If he was simultaneously signing on the same team with Lebron and Marc Gasol, for example, I'm pretty he would have let them shave a bit more off his annual salary.

tiger0330

Legend
Lebron taking less and Melo taking less wouldn't have been the same deal. Lebron took less to sign with two other star players at the time he was signing. If Melo had done it to a greater extent, he'd be doing it in the hopes of another star coming in the future. Would it have been nice for him to take an even bigger discount? Sure, but he has no guarantee anyone else is coming here. If he was simultaneously signing on the same team with Lebron and Marc Gasol, for example, I'm pretty he would have let them shave a bit more off his annual salary.
He made a statement that he would take less money, that he made enough money in the NBA, 7M spread over 5 years isn't much of a sacrifice. He wasn't serious about winning was the biggest priority nor was taking less money to build a better Knicks team. He's here for the next 5 years so I'm rooting for him but he's not the champion Lebron or Tim Duncan are.

Broadway

All Star
Looks like the ala carte contract option Melo took was to forego his 2015 7.5% raise which gives the Knicks around 1.7M more in cap flexibility in 2015 FA. 1.7M is better than nothing but it would have been better if Melo took the 4 year max money that other teams could offer spread over 5 years like I suggested.

When you look at a guy like Lebron who has made less than max money in 8/11 seasons he's played and only signed a 2 year deal to return to Cleveland it was not out of the question that Melo could have given the Knicks a bigger discount if he wanted a better surrounding cast to play with.

Melo has zero interest in helping the team he's playing on have competitive flexibility.

Phil asked him primarily to do what Lebron did for Cleveland. Opt in for this season and be a free agent next year so we would have true flexibility.

Nope what he decided to do was give 2-3yrs worth of 7.5% raises back to our team but as you pointed out only allowed $1.5-2mil cap relief for next year. That is not going to make a difference as whether we can sign additional help or not. It's disingenuous of he and Phil to suggest he did anything remotely close to helping us financially hence the phrase "wiggle room"....<---------that has the connotation things are still extremely too close for comfort.

Here's what's even more pathetic about it. Our Tax Rate this yr is.....

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21 $3.50 for every dollar over and we're slotted in the $10-15mil range of being over.

Before we resigned Melo our Cap was approximately $65mil. The Tax thresh is $76.8mil. Add Melo's first yr starting salary of approximately $22mil that puts us at $87mil.

$12mil multiplied by $3.50 = $42mil.

So $122mil + $42mil is how much Melo is costing us. I know some fans will flip it and say Amar'e and Bargnani are the ones costing the Tax but Melo was the last player signed for significant pay and essentially took all the money off the table and then some. The reason we can adequately say this, because this is the same reasoning Dolan used when it got personal with Houston as to why he didn't resign Lin. He didn't think Lin was worth the Tax. No way is Melo worth $165mil. Had he opted in would we have had to pay the same Tax? Yes! slightly more by a couple mil but the difference is being able to capitalize on savings the next year with him taking considerably less(like $17mil/yr for 5yrs). He's locked in now all guaranteed, can't change the figures.

Unless I'm mistaken, we have enough money to pursue Marc Gasol a year from now. Getting him would be a dream scenario for us. If PJ can make the rest of this roster shape up, then we will be a solid team a year from now that for once actually makes sense under the system we are playing. If we don't get Gasol, then yeah, it is going to seem worse that Melo didn't leave us more cap space for more second tier signings. Any which way, at least we have a team shaping up for this season that we can talk about as a possible playoff team again.

Kiyaman

Legend
Unless I'm mistaken, we have enough money to pursue Marc Gasol a year from now. Getting him would be a dream scenario for us. If PJ can make the rest of this roster shape up, then we will be a solid team a year from now that for once actually makes sense under the system we are playing. If we don't get Gasol, then yeah, it is going to seem worse that Melo didn't leave us more cap space for more second tier signings. Any which way, at least we have a team shaping up for this season that we can talk about as a possible playoff team again.

It does not matter what player or players u put on the Knicks, the "Carmelo Anthony Knicks are DOOMED!".

..Carmelo Anthony is the worst type of CANCER u could add to a team..

jimkcchief88

All Star
KO.COM continues to be the basketball bizarro world. I'm listening to Bulls fans pissed that Melo stayed in NY and don't give a crap about signing Pau Gasol and the next EUro sensation. Bulls fans are pissed they "can't land the bigfish." Meanwhile KO.COM is pissed we "overpaid" Melo even though the MAX was his market value. So who's right??? The fans that watched two 3peats with MJ or the fans that still love Vaseline eating "Starbury" more than Melo. Hmmmm....

bogey1964

Rookie
Melo has zero interest in helping the team he's playing on have competitive flexibility.

Phil asked him primarily to do what Lebron did for Cleveland. Opt in for this season and be a free agent next year so we would have true flexibility.

Nope what he decided to do was give 2-3yrs worth of 7.5% raises back to our team but as you pointed out only allowed $1.5-2mil cap relief for next year. That is not going to make a difference as whether we can sign additional help or not. It's disingenuous of he and Phil to suggest he did anything remotely close to helping us financially hence the phrase "wiggle room"....<---------that has the connotation things are still extremely too close for comfort.

Here's what's even more pathetic about it. Our Tax Rate this yr is.....

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21 $3.50 for every dollar over and we're slotted in the $10-15mil range of being over.

Before we resigned Melo our Cap was approximately $65mil. The Tax thresh is $76.8mil. Add Melo's first yr starting salary of approximately $22mil that puts us at $87mil.

$12mil multiplied by $3.50 = $42mil.

So $122mil + $42mil is how much Melo is costing us. I know some fans will flip it and say Amar'e and Bargnani are the ones costing the Tax but Melo was the last player signed for significant pay and essentially took all the money off the table and then some. The reason we can adequately say this, because this is the same reasoning Dolan used when it got personal with Houston as to why he didn't resign Lin. He didn't think Lin was worth the Tax. No way is Melo worth $165mil. Had he opted in would we have had to pay the same Tax? Yes! slightly more by a couple mil but the difference is being able to capitalize on savings the next year with him taking considerably less(like $17mil/yr for 5yrs). He's locked in now all guaranteed, can't change the figures.

What do you care how much Dolan is spending in tax it does nothing with the cap? You act like it's coming out of your bank acct. no melo is not lebron or Duncan no one is. He is next best thing

Broadway

All Star
What do you care how much Dolan is spending in tax it does nothing with the cap? You act like it's coming out of your bank acct. no melo is not lebron or Duncan no one is. He is next best thing

Let me put you in the car seat and buckle you up...

First and foremost you don't pay "NEXT BEST THING"....."FIRST BIG THING" money

Second the tax Dolan is paying is far more relevant than the so called $2mil wiggle room. Hence Phil couldn't talk Pau Gasol into taking Dolan's Tax Payer MLE($3.3mil), failed to talk Birdman into taking it and is now saying the team probably won't use it in order to be "fiscally responsible"(avoid further tax fees). Once again Dolan let Lin go for nothing all because of tax implications.....yet the Lakers acquire Lin and get a pick with salary to boot the last year of his poison pill contract.

Third let me know how comfortable you feel as you pay astronomical admission entering The Garden to watch a 30win basketball team.

bogey1964

Rookie
Let me put you in the car seat and buckle you up...

First and foremost you don't pay "NEXT BEST THING"....."FIRST BIG THING" money

Second the tax Dolan is paying is far more relevant than the so called $2mil wiggle room. Hence Phil couldn't talk Pau Gasol into taking Dolan's Tax Payer MLE($3.3mil), failed to talk Birdman into taking it and is now saying the team probably won't use it in order to be "fiscally responsible"(avoid further tax fees). Once again Dolan let Lin go for nothing all because of tax implications.....yet the Lakers acquire Lin and get a pick with salary to boot the last year of his poison pill contract.

Third let me know how comfortable you feel as you pay astronomical admission entering The Garden to watch a 30win basketball team.

I know now you think your smarter than everyone else but do your reasearch Houston had to give up two draft picks to get rid of the asian wonder Lin. Also you really think that any of the prices would change regardless of weather we pay the tax or not?
You know the money would just go in do land pocket

Broadway

All Star
I know now you think your smarter than everyone else but do your reasearch Houston had to give up two draft picks to get rid of the asian wonder Lin. Also you really think that any of the prices would change regardless of weather we pay the tax or not?
You know the money would just go in do land pocket

I'm looking at it from the Lakers perspective. They acquired Lin paying his $15mil salary and got a (1st and 2nd)....We wouldn't pay Lin squat and let him leave for nothing. We weren't trying to get rid of Lin...remember the "we'll match up to a billion dollars?" Dolan's pockets are deep....Lin is a cash cow for him blah blah?

Yes the Rockets had to pay, because they wanted to dump him. They also got back cap space/foreign prospect rights. We didn't get back anything by letting Lin go other than a Tax break(which brings me back to my original point). Lin also had more value on the front end of contract.

Edit: My bad for mixing Lin and Asik trade

The Lakers proved you can pay high salary and still get value.

Last edited:

bogey1964

Rookie
I'm looking at it from the Lakers perspective. They acquired Lin paying his $15mil salary and got a (1st and 2nd)....We wouldn't pay Lin squat and let him leave for nothing. We weren't trying to get rid of Lin...remember the "we'll match up to a billion dollars?" Dolan's pockets are deep....Lin is a cash cow for him blah blah?

Yes the Rockets had to pay, because they wanted to dump him. They also got back cap space/foreign prospect. We didn't get back anything by letting Lin go other than a Tax break(which brings me back to my original point). Lin also had more value on the front end of contract.

Edit: My bad for mixing Lin and Asik trade

The Lakers proved you can pay high salary and still get value.

first off gee sucks and the fact is they had to give a first and second to dump Lin and his terrible contract. How can you justify Lin making 15 and bitch about melo taking the max your a joke. No one has to take less than what someone is willing to pay them would you?