Knicks tried to trade Carmelo to CLE

mafra

Legend
Best news of the night was that BOS barely beat TOR, despite being home and with DeRozan out.The trailed pretty much most of the game too....

As constructed, BOS can't beat TOR, CLE, or WAS in the playoffs.

With CLE reluctant to surrender Love and with LAC wanting the keep their big 3 intact plus Redick.... it appears BOS is our only hope.

I doubt a third or fourth team gets involved to facilitate a trade, bc CLE and LAC don't have much to offer.

PJax has to find a way to snag either Smart or Brown plus that BKLYN pick....if he does that.... we can build PJ his statue....

Broadway

All Star
that should be a piece of cake from PJax... after all he has 11rings....

The Brooklyn pick is going nowhere, even I'm not expecting this from Phil but I do believe whenever he trades and whatever he he gets back in trade for Melo will be enough for us to move on. The most important thing is dumping him not what we get back. It's all about the bigger picture and embarking on a new era of team construction.

and1

Rotation player
these kinds of trade rumors a lot of times wind up ending with some kind of surprise. i wouldn't be surprised at all IF a trade were made, and it involved a team that has not yet even been mentioned. maybe some kind of a deal with toronto? they could use another scorer to help derozen and lowrie. anybody know where they stand in the draft this summer?
or even the wizzies. melo did spend a large portion of his younger life in baltimore after all. and he might not even have to uproot his family from ny so abruptly if he goes to a team that's not so far away.
if cleveland continues to be in a kind of turmoil with all of this drama surrounding them (which personally i don't think it will last much longer) melo may see going to one of these other two teams as a way to kind of sneak up on the cavs and throw them a curve ball. more importantly, one of those two teams might be thinking the same way.

Broadway

All Star
Brian Windhorst from ESPN just reiterated Knicks and Cavs are still talking and Melo/Love deal could get done but not straight up. Cavs reluctance on Love once again is more so leverage related. He expects talks to reignite to a more serious level soon.

Suddenly today, I'm getting the distinct online vibe that Melo is still on this team after the trade deadline

mafra

Legend
Brian Windhorst from ESPN just reiterated Knicks and Cavs are still talking and Melo/Love deal could get done but not straight up. Cavs reluctance on Love once again is more so leverage related. He expects talks to reignite to a more serious level soon.

Really? Must be coming from Lebron. Gonna be fascinating to see who blinks first.... Ainge giving up a player and 1 of the Nets picks or CLE parting with Love, or Phil not wanting something without a premium asset or if a 3rd and 4th team jump into the mix.

Really? Must be coming from Lebron. Gonna be fascinating to see who blinks first.... Ainge giving up a player and 1 of the Nets picks or CLE parting with Love, or Phil not wanting something without a premium asset or if a 3rd and 4th team jump into the mix.

It's funny how you guys see it as a heated race to get Melo and I'm starting to see it as no one really wants him unless the price is almost nothing. In fact, to me it seems like not only do teams like the Clippers not want to give anything of value to get him, but also they expect us to take a bad contract back in the mix. I hope you are right and I am wrong for this team's sake

tiger0330

Legend
Suddenly today, I'm getting the distinct online vibe that Melo is still on this team after the trade deadline
Melo holds all the cards, wouldn't surprise me if he's here in NY in March.
I don't see the Clips in his future w/o them willing to part with one of their big 3. Cleveland must move love either to NY or to Bos in a 3 way. Strategically if I'm Griffin I not making an EC contender like the C's better by giving them KLove but a struggling team like the Knicks I think he would but he's not going to do this w/o addressing a complementary need like asking for WHG and giving the Knicks someone like Kay Felder.

Boston has all those picks plus guys that are coming up for contracts so they offer the best chance for us to do a rebuild around expirings and first round picks. We'd be going the route of the Sixers and we'll probably suck for years but there's a sentiment that's the way to go. Now does Melo really want to go there, I think he could be persuaded and does Ainge really want him

mafra

Legend
Melo holds all the cards, wouldn't surprise me if he's here in NY in March.
I don't see the Clips in his future w/o them willing to part with one of their big 3. Cleveland must move love either to NY or to Bos in a 3 way. Strategically if I'm Griffin I not making an EC contender like the C's better by giving them KLove but a struggling team like the Knicks I think he would but he's not going to do this w/o addressing a complementary need like asking for WHG and giving the Knicks someone like Kay Felder.

Boston has all those picks plus guys that are coming up for contracts so they offer the best chance for us to do a rebuild around expirings and first round picks. We'd be going the route of the Sixers and we'll probably suck for years but there's a sentiment that's the way to go. Now does Melo really want to go there, I think he could be persuaded and does Ainge really want him

If I had to bet, I would bet that CLE makes a few minor moves, BOs makes a trade for somebody else and we say NO to the LAC offer....

Just seems to hard to make this trade now.... NY probably feels they'll get more for Melo this summer, his suitors don't want to shake up their rosters mid-season.

Also, does anybody really think they can beat GSW? CLE playing with house money this year.... BOS may believe they can get to the Finals with a Melo or Butler, but I doubt they feel they can beat GSW anyway....

LAC might be delusional and think they have a shot, but they don't have the assets to get Melo.

Now, CLE or BOS might also feel that it's better to shake things up now, and
begin the Melo acclimation now....
Believing they could build equity that will pay dividends next season.

BOS might also prefer Melo bc he will
cost half of what a Butler will cost.

Again, who knows.

To me, Brown and a pick is a no-brainer. They have plenty of picks and they have Crowder at SF anyway. This deal let's BOS make a run now while still building through the draft.
Melo's deal done either 2018 or 2019 (if he picks up the option).

Now, what would cost for Butler be?

At the end of the day, I do doubt this deal gets done and I do believe that teams just don't see Melo putting them over the top.... he's an upgrade. And helps them win the east.... but that Warriors team is too good, so why bother wasting assets now.

Broadway

All Star
Cleveland I'm hearing is prepping a 10 day contract to Jordan Farmar, I know Cleveland isn't going to be content with only making this move and Feb23rd passes

tiger0330

Legend
If I had to bet, I would bet that CLE makes a few minor moves, BOs makes a trade for somebody else and we say NO to the LAC offer....

Just seems to hard to make this trade now.... NY probably feels they'll get more for Melo this summer, his suitors don't want to shake up their rosters mid-season.

Also, does anybody really think they can beat GSW? CLE playing with house money this year.... BOS may believe they can get to the Finals with a Melo or Butler, but I doubt they feel they can beat GSW anyway....

LAC might be delusional and think they have a shot, but they don't have the assets to get Melo.

Now, CLE or BOS might also feel that it's better to shake things up now, and
begin the Melo acclimation now....
Believing they could build equity that will pay dividends next season.

BOS might also prefer Melo bc he will
cost half of what a Butler will cost.

Again, who knows.

To me, Brown and a pick is a no-brainer. They have plenty of picks and they have Crowder at SF anyway. This deal let's BOS make a run now while still building through the draft.
Melo's deal done either 2018 or 2019 (if he picks up the option).

Now, what would cost for Butler be?

At the end of the day, I do doubt this deal gets done and I do believe that teams just don't see Melo putting them over the top.... he's an upgrade. And helps them win the east.... but that Warriors team is too good, so why bother wasting assets now.
Mafra I agree likely odds are are slim Melo is moved by the deadline. I think the Knicks see how they finish this season, reflect, if we finish with 30+ wins they decide this is the end of the Melo era and approach all 29 other teams and look at possible deals, approach Melo and lay all the cards on the table and see what team is acceptable to him. Key to trading him is for him to expand the teams he's willing to go to.

mafra

Legend
This 5 game homestand probably is Melo's curtain call. I heard 1 insider say they know some within NYK feel it's time to simply dump the ball-stop Melo, and just move on.

If this is true, then it's possible NY just makes best deal possible and would settle for a Rivers and future 1st type deal.

Now, this is probably only possible if NY has little hope... a 3-2 homestand and suddenly NY is the 8th or 9th seed.... might be hard to blow it up at that point.

tiger0330

Legend
Cleveland I'm hearing is prepping a 10 day contract to Jordan Farmar, I know Cleveland isn't going to be content with only making this move and Feb23rd passes
Stephenson also had a tryout. I'm curious to know if getting Farmar was a position choice or did he flat out outplay Stephenson. I wonder if Lance is done.

mafra

Legend
As for a swap of Love for Melo....
I don't want that either. As S-Bondy wrote today:

"Love is the third-best player on a contender (Cleveland), and the star on a bad team (Minnesota). He plays the same position as Kristaps Porzingis, and represents another expensive big man who would take minutes away from Willy Hernangomez. He?s neither a good defender (that?s really what the Knicks need), nor as good as Anthony at creating his own shot.

In the NBA Finals last year, Love averaged 8.5 points and 6.8 rebounds on 36% shooting. And when Love was leading the Timberwolves, he clashed with then-coach Kurt Rambis and went 153-323 over six seasons.

This isn?t to discredit the improvements from Love, a deserved All-Star this season and four years younger than Anthony. But he would be yet another Band-Aid for a franchise littered with ill-fated quick fixes, most recently with Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah. Status quo is not the right philosophy in this situation.

Anthony, despite his flaws, still gives the Knicks the best chance of getting back into the playoffs, more so than Love or anything else the Knicks can acquire at the deadline given the restraints of the no-trade clause. Unless Boston swoops in with one of their younger prospects and a future first-round pick, New York would be best served holding Anthony until the summer when cap space opens up and more teams could get involved."

paris401

Starter
Melo holds all the cards,

what cards??? his no-trade clause... big deal... if he didn't have that clause, what other teams would be breaking down PJax's door to acquire him... he has little value...sad but true... maybe a contender wants him, but a lousy team... which is probably 25 of the teams ..don't need him... its a small,small market...

and1

Rotation player
It's funny how you guys see it as a heated race to get Melo and I'm starting to see it as no one really wants him unless the price is almost nothing. In fact, to me it seems like not only do teams like the Clippers not want to give anything of value to get him, but also they expect us to take a bad contract back in the mix. I hope you are right and I am wrong for this team's sake

well it doesn't really help that phil is talking smack about him and making it obvious that he wants to trade him. other organizations will see that as desperation and take advantage of it, meaning that they'll try and give up as little as possible. and looking at his track record, i'm sure they're confident they'll be able to bamboozle him.

mafra

Legend
Would it be wise if GMs were gushing about Melo? We'll find out by Feb 23rd what the truth is....

Broadway

All Star
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

So should Cleveland have traded for Melo? Do they win more than 1 game against Warriors?

:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

mafra

Legend
It may only be a lateral move, but CLE will only beat GSW with offense.... and Melo wouldn't have laid an egg like Love did last night.

Then again, running with Korver, Jefferson and Deron isn't gonna help James and Melo much either.

Still, Melo is a superior offensive player and if NYK had any hope of trading Melo to CLE.... having Cavs lose in 5 and having Love disappear.... that only helps the slim chances NYK has.