Knicks 2021-2022 Pre-season

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks first pre season game tonight against the Pacers. They will play 4 games in the preseason.

Tue, 10/5 vsIND
7:30 PM
Sat, 10/9 @WSH
7:00 PM
Wed, 10/13 vsDET
Fri, 10/15 vs WSH

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks starters.
Taj
Kemba
Fournier
RJ
JR

Preseason game so Thibs getting burn for everyone. Sims, DRose, Obi, Burks and Quick already in the game. Obi looks good, rebounding the ball and then taking it coast to coast for a driving layup and hitting a J. Knicks pushing the pace with 36 pts in the first.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks balanced scoring for a total of 67 pts with only 2 TOS. Looking good for the first preseason game. Looks like the observation that they improved their depth in the offseason is true.

Kiyaman

Legend
Are we in trouble?
I'm just looking at stats ....
Half-Time .. Knicks 67 - Pacers 55
And Thibs only played 10 players in the first half

Kiyaman

Legend
Yep! We are in trouble .. Thibs played Randle the entire 3rd quarter.
Randle has 30 minutes of playing-time before the 4th Qtr.
End of 3rd Quarter .. Knicks 101 - Pacers 80

tiger0330

Legend
Are we in trouble?
I'm just looking at stats ....
Half-Time .. Knicks 67 - Pacers 55
And Thibs only played 10 players in the first half
Noel and Mitch both out with leg injuries. The rooks not getting burn but Thibs looking to get Kemba, Rose and Fournier burn together. This looks to be a fun year, Knicks with more 3 pt shooters on the roster than previous years, more guys that can break down a D and create. They interviewed Bryant at the half and he said what stood out to him was the ball sharing. 5 guys in double figures says that’s true.

tiger0330

Legend
Yep! We are in trouble .. Thibs played Randle the entire 3rd quarter.
Randle has 30 minutes of playing-time before the 4th Qtr.
End of 3rd Quarter .. Knicks 101 - Pacers 80
Obi back in early in the 4th, I’d expect we’ve seen the last of JR this game. Knicks with a comfortable lead, Thibs should bring in the rooks for some burn.

tiger0330

Legend
Obi with the two best plays of the game. His coast to coast 2 in the first and showing his ball handling with a crossover and then spin move to score an easy 2.

Knox finally in during garbage time, he’s not going to be in the rotation, time for the Knicks to give him a change of scenery.

tiger0330

Legend
Easy win 125-104. Obi stood out, showed me he is more than a dunker. RJ keeps hitting that 3 like he did tonight, he’ll be an AS soon. Fournier is going to make Knicks fans forget Bull and Ntilikina.

Kiyaman

Legend
I missed the first half, but seen the 2nd half ....
I'm just saying ....
Thibs played a 10 man rotation ..
It's a Preseason game!

Rookie Jerico Sims played a good game, his 25 min showed he's raw & need to learn Kemba & D.Rose plays better.
Rookies Grimes & McBride was given 4 min of garbage time.
2nd season Obi Toppin looked well in the short 14 min role given.
4th season Keven Knox was given 4 min of garbage time.

I hope the 2nd Preseason game vs Lottery Wizards we could see a lot more of our rookies, and 2nd season players, plus Knox on the court.

Kiyaman

Legend
I missed the first half, but caught the 2nd half ....
I'm just saying ....
Thibs played a 10 man rotation ..
It's a Preseason game!

Rookie Jerico Sims played a good game, his 25 min showed he's raw & need to learn Kemba & D.Rose plays better.
Rookies Grimes & McBride was given 4 min of garbage time.
2nd season Obi Toppin looked well in the short 14 min role given.
4th season Keven Knox was given 4 min of garbage time.

I hope the 2nd Preseason game vs Lottery Wizards we could see a lot more of our rookies, and 2nd season players, plus Knox on the court.

mafra

Legend
Good to hear about Obi. He could add a huge dynamic to the second unit of Rose, IQ, AB, and Noel.

Kemba and Evan gonna help JR and RJ. We need Mitch, tho, to take that neat step. Stay healthy. And be defensive anchor.

Knicks had 3 turnovers tonight. Kemba looked like he was in control.

Last edited:
Pacer played 17 players. Maybe need to look at game very closely before you start jumping up and down.
I didn?t see the game!!
What were the Pacer trying to do??
What is your competition level all game??

Look like Thib?s is starting playoff just like what he did last year. The league is different from last when previous playoff team were positioning themselves for the best draft in 3 or 4 years. Of course, the Knicks tank in the worst year and 1st of league deterring tanking.
Genius!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Good to hear about Obi. He could add a huge dynamic to the second unit of Rose, IQ, AB, and Noel.

Kemba and Evan gonna help JR and RJ. We need Mitch, tho, to take that neat step. Stay healthy. And be defensive anchor.

Knicks had 3 turnovers tonight. Kemba looked like he was in control.

Kemba's ball movement was good, but he's getting beat on defense/caught on screens and I kept catching him chasing down his man from behind.

Thibs coached the first preseason game as if it was a regular season game SMH

tiger0330

Legend
Article about Obi you guys might not have seen.

When Obi Toppin entered the game Tuesday, his first appearance of the preseason, it didn't take long for him to make an impact.

He grabbed a rebound on a missed free throw by Indiana's Domantas Sabonis and immediately turned upcourt, dribbling the length of the floor and converting a layup as he outraced the smaller defenders. If the speed seemed different than his frame, it wasn't the only part of his game to belie expectations.

Toppin looked like a different player than the one who began his rookie season with the Knicks just under a year ago, not in stature or athleticism, but in attitude. The tentativeness that countered his talents at the start now seems a thing of the past. While a preseason game may mean little, just as his stellar play in summer league can be fool's gold, it is the year of experience, a steady postseason performance and plain hard work that have changed Toppin this time around.

"I feel a lot more comfortable," Toppin said. "I feel like I've put in a lot of work this summer, not only me but everyone here. We put in a lot of work and there is just the start. This is just preseason.

"We still have a lot of work to do for the regular season and moving forward. I feel like I just have a little bit more knowledge of being here now. I feel like I've kind of put my foot in the water already, so I kind of have a feel of what it's like playing out there. The fans weren't like how the playoffs were, but they're still fans out there in the building and we feed off the energy they've had. It was just an amazing atmosphere."

While Toppin was the first draft pick of the current regime he felt the pressure last season as Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau often gave him a quick hook in his limited opportunities. Toppin admitted earlier in camp that he didn't need to wait for Thibodeau to send his replacement to the scorer's table. He knew the mistake he'd made and knew the hook would be coming.

But he spent the entire summer either in the gym in New York or with the team in Las Vegas, mimicking the work habits of the player who he has backed up, Julius Randle.

Subscribe to Newsday's sports newsletter

Receive stories, photos and videos about your favorite New York teams plus national sports news and events.

By clicking Sign up, you agree to our privacy policy.

"He's gotten a lot better," Thibodeau said. "He's put a lot of extra time in. But I think more than anything, it's probably the experience. I thought last year was difficult in some ways for him because of not really having the summer league, a fall, where you can grow into it. And he's one of those guys that with repetition, he gets a lot more confident.

"I think the game has slowed down a little bit. I like the way he played offensively. He wasn't rushing at all and made good decisions. And he's skilled."

It isn't just comfort with his own place in the game, but also on the second unit. The Knicks brought back Derrick Rose, Alec Burks and Taj Gibson as free agents and all three could be on the second unit together again, along with last year's rookies, Toppin and Immanuel Quickley. When Rose arrived in a trade last season it helped turn Toppin's fortunes, from teachings off the court to finding him running the floor on it.

"I feel like our second unit, because we're kind of the same as last year, I feel like we're comfortable playing with each other,' Toppin said. "And it's just a matter of getting on the court, doing what we have to do to either keep the lead, improve the lead or bring it back if we're down a couple of points, bring back the lead. We know when we get onto the court we know our job is to bring the energy and just fight as much as we can, so when the first unit comes back in, they know they just got to continue off of what we did."

-

Kemba's ball movement was good, but he's getting beat on defense/caught on screens and I kept catching him chasing down his man from behind.

Thibs coached the first preseason game as if it was a regular season game SMH

Walker sound and looks like RJ, huh!! That?s Thib?s kind of player. Talks a good game about defense but keeps RJ in the game chasing for almost 40 minutes.
Now how are you going to hide both RJ and Walker?? Moving RJ to SF let see how that fairs.

More smoke and mirrors and talking to a fan base that only seen losing until last year( if you want to call that winning). A president that holding up in a bumper for a year and says nothing to the fans.