Game Thread - New York Knicks vs Detroit Pistons - February 27, 2015

26 games left to go. Looks like it remains a race to the bottom between us and Philly and we have a 2 less win headstart. Both Minny and the Lakers don't seem to be willing to be quite bad enough to have a chance at the worst record. Calderon on the shelf with an Achilles injury. Reported starting lineup is Galloway, THJ, Early, Bargs, and Amundson. Get your barf bags out. Let's go Knicks!

tiger0330

Legend
What PJ saw in Calderon I have no idea. One of the worst defensive PGs but now he says he is not going to ever lead the team in scoring because that's not who he is, he's a team player. That's not how I remember him in Toronto where I saw him put up multiple back to back 30pt games.

They may use that stretch provision on him this off season because they can't trade him. I'd give Galloway his spot the rest of the season to see if he can run the point for us so we can get rid of him this off season.

Early putting the ball on the floor to attack the paint and draw the foul. Huge opportunity for him now. If he stays healthy and out of foul trouble, he is going to get major minutes for the rest of the season.

THJ, Bargs, Galloway, and Early have all scored and we have an early 2 point lead five minutes into the game. Continues to amaze me how night after night we seem to come out ready to play and then at some magic moment in the 2nd half we suddenly forget how to play and fall behind by 20 to 30 points. Let's see if tonight is another one of those nights.

After a nice start by our guys, Detroit is now steamrolling us and on a 15 - 4 run. Seems like they made some quick adjustments to exploit our poor rim defense, outside of Aldrich, and now they are scoring at will. On the other end of the court, our good ball movement is not mattering since no one is hitting shots.

I know his future with us is uncertain, but I'm falling in love with Aldrich's game all over again. He is a physical presence on both ends of the court even against guys like Monroe and Drummond. Definitely good enough to be a backup center in this league.

Down 28 - 23 at the end of the first quarter. Once again, our offense is passable but our defense is atrocious.

Now we looked overmatched in the 2nd quarter. Offense has disappeared altogether and Detroit is starting to grind out a bigger and bigger lead.

Shawne Williams sighting. Remember him? Playing his first game as a Piston. Wear just checked into the game for us which means we have played 12 different players in the first quarter and a half, mostly due to multiple guys with at least 2 fouls so far.

tiger0330

Legend
The Greg Monroe audition for the Knicks. He's the best player in this game so far and averaging a double/double, I know Broadway doesn't like him but if we fall in the draft say to the 4th pick, we'll probably select a PG and will need a big man.

At least the Boston game on Wednesday night was a good effort. This game has already turned into a joke and we're just a little over halfway through the 2nd quarter. Already down 51 - 33 and we look terrible and confused now at both ends of the court.

The Greg Monroe audition for the Knicks. He's the best player in this game so far and averaging a double/double, I know Broadway doesn't like him but if we fall in the draft say to the 4th pick, we'll probably select a PG and will need a big man.

In my mind, it's all about the price. Can't overpay a player like Monroe, which I think we will have to do to get him to come here. At market value, he could be a nice signing and fits with Melo and a backcourt lottery draft pick.

Broadway

All Star

First of all I'm pretty sure the Pistons retain him but paying Greg anything more than $12mil/yr first yr starting salary is absurd. He will get more than this. His max is 25% based, sorry Phil can't afford to set this kind of standard and go there.

Second of all I wouldn't judge any player auditioning against us as a means to justify pursuing this summer. We're a garbage team.

For the record Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Al Jefferson, Paul Milsap, Zach Randolph, Paul Gasol make $8-13mil/yr. He's not better than them.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
In my mind, it's all about the price. Can't overpay a player like Monroe, which I think we will have to do to get him to come here. At market value, he could be a nice signing and fits with Melo and a backcourt lottery draft pick.

He might be a good fit offensively although I doubt it as he doesn't pass well enough from the post. To slow to react to defenses. On defense he'd be a total misfit next to Melo. You're talking about 2 slugs who don't defend their front court positions well.