2015 NBA Draft Lottery Thread - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 8:30PM - ESPN

Wargames

Starter
lol I wonder what the Top 5 Picks think of this pic?

1259832636704197991.png

At least have the ability to stone face it. He looks like he got a call that a relative passed away. Just goes to show this wasn't what Phil and the yes men were "PLANNING" for.

It doesn't matter what they think, the knicks will either draft somebody or trade them to move down.

Broadway

All Star
It doesn't matter what they think, the knicks will either draft somebody or trade them to move down.

Yes and No...Mills is already referring to the pick as a "complementary" piece to Melo. More stamping downage(smh). Funny how Melo joined in the idiocy...remember he's the one who said

"A 19yr old pg may not be what the Knicks are looking for because of the learning curve" and then proceeds to hang with Winslow at a Yankee game.

Seems like the results are right up Melo's alley.

I hope we curve that Chunkster and turn the keys over to Yay or Rus1 and force him to be a player who's gonna have to deal with them(Yay or Rus1) taking over the town.

Wargames

Starter
I wouldn't be surprised if when they end up with either Russell, Mudiay, or Winslow that the player plays at SG instead of PG or SF. All of them are 6,5 or 6,6 in height and the triangle can handle more dynamic players are the 2 instead of the 1 easier. Plus competition at the 2 is easier in the league since most teams have only ok players there compared to PG where the league is packed with star talent or at least great defenders.

I wouldn't be surprised if when they end up with either Russell, Mudiay, or Winslow that the player plays at SG instead of PG or SF. All of them are 6,5 or 6,6 in height and the triangle can handle more dynamic players are the 2 instead of the 1 easier. Plus competition at the 2 is easier in the league since most teams have only ok players there compared to PG where the league is packed with star talent or at least great defenders.

It's almost comical what a beast Winslow is physically compared to Mudiay and Russell. As you said, all 3 are about 6'5"/6'6", but Winslow outweighs the other two guys by about 30 pounds. Winslow will show up day 1 with the ability to physically play multiple NBA positions. Mudiay and Russell will both be question marks from day 1 to physically handle NBA guards.

Wargames

Starter
It's almost comical what a beast Winslow is physically compared to Mudiay and Russell. As you said, all 3 are about 6'5"/6'6", but Winslow outweighs the other two guys by about 30 pounds. Winslow will show up day 1 with the ability to physically play multiple NBA positions. Mudiay and Russell will both be question marks from day 1 to physically handle NBA guards.

That would be great with me and the lineup does need 2 way players. I still see him playing SG when he comes to the league though. 6'6 with shoes just doesn't scream SF and I expect Melo to get heavy minutes at SF as well

tiger0330

Legend
That would be great with me and the lineup does need 2 way players. I still see him playing SG when he comes to the league though. 6'6 with shoes just doesn't scream SF and I expect Melo to get heavy minutes at SF as well
I'm hoping THJ can turn around that mediocre year he had and become a starting caliber SG for the Knicks. I thought we would be moving Melo to the 4 if we drafted Winslow and a if Timmy can make the starting rotation, a lineup of THJ, Melo and Winslow would be pretty good.

I read that Winslow only measured 6'4.5" at the combine without shoes which definitely doesn't scream SF. In fact its not even respectable size for a SG.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Its still hard to swallow .. last year this time the only plan Phil Jackson could come up with as our new president were to tank the 2014-15 season for a top-3 lottery pick .. when 5 freshman will be the 2015 top-5 draft picks. Laugh or cry

1) If the Timberwolves dont draft Okafor low-post scoring, then their GM is dummer than our Knicks president, or Lakers paid them off.
2) The Lakers wanted Towns from day one to add with 6.9 Julius Randle in their frontcourt lineup.
3) Without a doubt Philly will draft "Winslow" star-talent to put with Noel in the front lineup.
I might disagree with everything-

T wolves will draft towns because they already have a center in pekovic...and towns can space the floor with his shooting by bringing intensity on defense.

76ers want dangelo Russell..not Winslow. Plus Russell is good friends with embiid and Noel.

We have a higher chance of drafting Winslow with all the reports out there and Melo going to Yankee game with him. Read my thread on Winslow

Paul1355

All Star
If both mudiay and Russell play pg that how will they be outmatched physically being taller than most point guards? And mudiay is a 6'5 athletic pg which is rare in nba...I don't see how that makes sense...playing the 2 guard spot would put them at a disadvantage

Broadway

All Star
If both mudiay and Russell play pg that how will they be outmatched physically being taller than most point guards? And mudiay is a 6'5 athletic pg which is rare in nba...I don't see how that makes sense...playing the 2 guard spot would put them at a disadvantage

Although Winslow is a tank for his size, he's not really as big as you would think....

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justise-Winslow-7190/

Otoh there's nothing small looking about Mudiay as a point guard

USATSI_7931766-750x1106.jpg

No, you're right, both Mudiay and Russell are the right height and weight to play PG (but definitely not SG). I was thinking more along the lines of that being the same size as John Wall doesn't mean you can guard him, because you also have to be as fast as him whereas Winslow will have a size advantage against many guards, so that gives him a means to physically match-up with NBA players whether he has the speed or not.

To be very clear, I have said recently on this forum prior to the draft that it may be a mistake for the Knicks to not want Mudiay, regardless of their pick. I am totally fine with Mudiay.

Although Winslow is a tank for his size, he's not really as big as you would think....

Y'know, reading that profile for Winslow, describing him physically as Lance Stephenson isn't the worst thing in the world. Stephenson's problem seems to be his head, not his body.

Broadway - we talked in the weeks prior to the lottery that we both thought Mudiay could be exactly the guy we needed. My opinion on that hasn't changed, but I can get excited about Winslow just as easily.

mafra

Legend

USATSI_7931766-750x1106.jpg

People are crazy. I understand the disappointment... we NYK fans always seem to lose... Not only dropping to 4th, but also having PHI leap in front of us... and LA hitting big (instead of handing the pick to PHI, they draft 2nd).

BUT... remember... this time last year... Emmanual Mudiay was the #2 ranked HS senior (ahead of Towns). He is compared to KIDD, DERON, WALL... he is big, strong, athletic.. plays defense, attacks the basket, is an excellent rebounder... His outside shot needs work... but is a SOLID consolation price (think Harden, Westbrook, Curry, Wade... as guys who fell to the 4-7 range).

GOOD NEWS is we all know if we picked 1-3.. we would have somehow taken the wrong guy. NOW, of the BIG4 (Okafor, Towns, Russell, Mudiay) we simply scoop up whoever is left when we pick. AND, there's a chance Okafor or Towns falls to 4; you never know...

NYK could gamble that Winslow is a Pippen type player... They might buy into hype on Pirzingis (some claim he is better than Okafor... compared to DIRK and Gasol... can really shoot and is amazing defensively).

If we sign Greg Monroe... and then either B-Knight or J-Butler... then sprinkle in one of the 6 guys I mentioned...we are in good shape.

Maybe we trade pick for R-Westbrook... maybe we send 'Melo to CHI... maybe we send him to LAC for Blake. Who knows.. we shall see.

Broadway

All Star
While I think cases can be made for several players who will be there @4 I do get a kick out of posting with personal insecurities about players trying to build false iron clad cases as to why some won't be selected, to build the narrative for who we favor.

Uhhmmmmm none of us are in the Knicks front office and has any idea what Phil is thinking, he's proven to be very unorthodox and yet predictable in some cases.

We are not getting Westbrook or Blake and we're not trading Melo unless he gives Phil his blessings. Also making a pick based on how Melo feels would be pure idiocy, this is the same Oooompa Looompa that wanted us to draft his boi Josh Shelby. Zip it Meloaf!

mafra

Legend
The Sixers take Russell in my mind. Knicks now have to do their homework on Mudiay, he didn't do anything at the combine, was injured in China so the Knicks have scant intel on the guy compared to others. Other than need, I'd be tempted to take Winslow.

A team that wants Mudiay, and where he would welcome playing, told him there was no need for him to perform at the combine. He said this last night. That team knows if he played, he wouldn't be a mystery/secret anymore... He is arguably the best prospect, and in the PG-driven league...

Some reports claim LAK will pass on Okafor (or maybe it was Towns) if Minny takes the other... and go with Mudiay. It's possible MIN takes TOWNS (poor kid... almost in NY or LA... he and Rubio... and Bennett and Wiggins can lament over their draft misfortune). Then, Mudiay-Russell go 2-3... And NYK get Okafor afterall (his FT shooting, defense, work ethic are big ??? marks).

mafra

Legend
To htr10 and Clyde...

This is why you don't win Game 65 or whatever it was against the Magic and whoever else when you've been essentially the worst team all yr. Rooting for the wins meant nothing, I gave 0 Tux about Langston Galloway making All-Rookie team based on Hero Ball and of course rooting for losses doesn't accomplish anything either....but what's in the best interest of this franchise was always tomorrow and not today....which meant lose and lose big.

Hope Phil is happy with Fish and The Gang

We need to draft Mudiay or trade down

The team with the worst record won the lottery twice in the previous 19 years... I would think that mean they're due, but perhaps that simply reinforced notion that as long as they were in the bottom 3 (records)... they liked their odds. If we had the worst record, we still end up 4th (NYK are cursed).

tiger0330

Legend
A team that wants Mudiay, and where he would welcome playing, told him there was no need for him to perform at the combine. He said this last night. That team knows if he played, he wouldn't be a mystery/secret anymore... He is arguably the best prospect, and in the PG-driven league...

Some reports claim LAK will pass on Okafor (or maybe it was Towns) if Minny takes the other... and go with Mudiay. It's possible MIN takes TOWNS (poor kid... almost in NY or LA... he and Rubio... and Bennett and Wiggins can lament over their draft misfortune). Then, Mudiay-Russell go 2-3... And NYK get Okafor afterall (his FT shooting, defense, work ethic are big ??? marks).
Okafor falling to 4, the Knicks would be all over him at 4. I think if MN keeps the pick they select Okafor though, KG would be a great tutor for him and the Wolves could use a scoring PF

mafra

Legend
Okafor falling to 4, the Knicks would be all over him at 4. I think if MN keeps the pick they select Okafor though, KG would be a great tutor for him and the Wolves could use a scoring PF

I would think so... But, they took Rubio AND Flynn ahead of Curry.

Towns in from NJ, and Okafor is from CHI... they may prefer the "more" local kid. All things equal, it's 50/50. Who fits their roster more? Maybe they take Okafor... and LAK grabs Mudiay (thinking Towns & Randle play the same PF position). Maybe Towns falls?

Knicks do get 1of the 4... That's sweet. Some say... Mudiay and Pirzingis are 2 of the best 3 prospects... BUT... they both probably the worst for Melo-PHIL (b/c they aren't as ready to compete as Towns-Okafor).

Is that speculation or you have a source for that idea about Mudiay not performing at the combine because a team wants him and wants to keep him a secret? We're getting killed by the sports media today and they are saying we have the 4th pick in a 3 team draft. It's being said that none of the top teams are buying into Mudiay being as good as his hype.

tiger0330

Legend
Porzingis intrigues me, legit 7 footer. Never saw him play but I've been reading he could go as high as 3. Must be pretty good for people to rate him that high, I hope the Knicks do their homework on him because 7 footers that shoot the 3 at a 37% clip are hard to find.

mafra

Legend
Is that speculation or you have a source for that idea about Mudiay not performing at the combine because a team wants him and wants to keep him a secret? We're getting killed by the sports media today and they are saying we have the 4th pick in a 3 team draft. It's being said that none of the top teams are buying into Mudiay being as good as his hype.

I think teams (NYK) not buying into the hype could be about any prospect. All have flaws... eye of beholder. But what changed in 12 months? Mudiay ranked head of Towns and Winslow by all the respected HS Bball ranking systems.

Now... PHIL is on record saying he prefers a free agent PG... wanted a BIG defender in draft. BUT, he also liked Calderon (how did that work out?). The triangle might minimize the PG position... but NYK don't have MJ or KOBE, and we haven't had a PG in 20 years. I prefer missing on the PG, instead of the SF. BUT... if we bring in a PG, then we wont need Mudiay.

Here's the ROTOWORLD blurb on MINNY "winning" last night's draft lottery: "TheTimberwolves claimed the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 draft during Tuesday'slottery, with the Lakers at No. 2 and the 76ers at No. 3.The Wolves have theirchoice of prized prospects including Karl-Anthony Towns, Jahlil Okafor,D'Angelo Russell and Emmanuel Mudiay"

Mudiay did not attend last week’s combineas expected, so he hasn’t met with any clubs. He said his “team’’ felt he“didn’t need to go.” On Monday, Mudiay raved about Jackson during a TimesSquare appearance, saying the Knicks president could make him “great.’’
http://nypost.com/2015/05/20/russell-or-mudiay-knicks-attention-turns-to-2-star-guards/

ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla comparedMudiay to NBA Hall of Famer Jason Kidd.
“In Mudiay, you have a JasonKidd-type point guard who’s probably 6-4, 215, powerful, strong, quick, jumpshot has to be fixed a little bit but in time could be very good as well,”Fraschilla told SNY’s The 4 Quarters Podcast.
Former Knicks coach Larry Brown,currently coaching at SMU, had hoped to coach Mudiay this past season before heopted to play in China instead. Brown compared Mudiay to John Wall of theWizards and Deron Williams of the Nets.
“I look at John and the way he’sevolved and I feel comfortable that Emmanuel is a lot like that,” Browntold SNY.tv in March.
Brown also compared Mudiay toDeron Williams of the Nets, and touted Mudiay’s abilities as a defender andrebounder in addition to his skill set in running a ball club.
“I think when Deron Williams washealthy and young [they were similar],” Brown said. “He shot the ball betterthan Emmanuel but Emmanuel’s shot is not broken. If you’re conscientious, youcan become a reasonable shooter if you’re shot’s not broken and his shot is notbroken. But he doesn’t need to shoot to be effective because I think he’spass-first. I think he’s a special defender and I think he’s an eliterebounder.”
Despite playing a limited numberof games this season for the Guangdong Southern Tigers due to injury, Mudiaychose not to participate in last week’s NBA Combine in Chicago because hewas a guaranteed top-five pick.

http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/knicks-could-be-eyeing-mudiay-international-man-of-mystery-at-no-4-in-nba-draft/

Finally, not all doubt Mudiay... some say LAKERS love him.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheisler/2015/05/19/something-finally-goes-right-for-lakers-wholl-draft-mudiay-at-no-2-it-says-here/

Last edited: