Did Jackson give Melo power to influence the roster?

Paul1355

All Star
One thing is evident, Melo admitted he will be heavily involved in the decisions the Knicks make this off season. Jackson and Mills have also admitted it. It seems as if Melo is not only the franchise player in NY, but he is the one calling the shots, vetoing and approving who Jackson wants to bring in.

I am asking this question to all my Knicks fans: Was one of the main reason Melo stayed in NY because Jackson gave him the power to influence roster decisions?

I ask this question because of how much of a different tune Melo is singing these days. He never had say before Jackson came, he even admitted he was never involved in decisions with past trades.

The fact that he admitted he will def be involved is interesting because he had very few reasons to stay in NY.

Everyone says he stayed for the money, however Melo has always wanted to be the man. Jackson giving him max money and power to influence the team is enough for most players to accept.

Does anybody agree with this?

And if this is true then what can we expect from the Knicks?

tiger0330

Legend
Walt Frazier was asked on one of the broadcasts whether he was consulted before the Knicks got the Pearl and he said the Knicks never came to him and he was surprised because he thought they would trade for a big man.

Times have changed with guys like Lebron and to a lesser extent Melo shaping the team rosters. I don't think Melo has the power to approve and veto trades otherwise his boy JR would still be here but I think he is asked for his input on the guys PJ is looking at.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Back a few years ago when Shump was drafted, I recall reading that Melo wanted them to take fellow Baltimore native Josh Selby. I seem to remember Melo being kind of irritated with them drafting Shump - he wrote "I'm out." on his Twitter right after the Knicks announced that they were drafting Shump. At least, back in the Walsh/Grunwald days, they didn't give Melo that type of authority, otherwise they would've drafted Selby (good thing they didn't, since he sucks).

Broadway

All Star
If anyone seriously thinks Melo is influencing our decisions get real. I don't care what Phil and Mills admitted just look at what Melo has said and how we've gone about our business and who's names get mentioned during the process.

Are they making decisions about the roster based on Melo's presence?

I'm sure there's some back and forth on who fits and won't fit playing alongside him but none more so if they are a triangle fit or if they are a fit to play in this city in general.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Back a few years ago when Shump was drafted, I recall reading that Melo wanted them to take fellow Baltimore native Josh Selby. I seem to remember Melo being kind of irritated with them drafting Shump - he wrote "I'm out." on his Twitter right after the Knicks announced that they were drafting Shump. At least, back in the Walsh/Grunwald days, they didn't give Melo that type of authority, otherwise they would've drafted Selby (good thing they didn't, since he sucks).

At the time of Shump 2011 draft .. Melo had just got embarrassed by Boston BIG-3 in the playoffs when Amare & Billups quit on Melo during the first game of the series.
Donnie Walsh ticked Melo off by accepting Billups final year option, and drafting a SG Shump to put with Billups in the backcourt. When July 1st. arrive Dolan refuse to resign Donnie Walsh giving all the power of the Knicks team to EGO Carmelo Anthony.
From 2011-12 season to the 2014-15 season Melo has rid the Knicks of over 15 players from the roster.

In the 2011 draft-class the Knicks were suppose to take the best player available with the 17th pick "Kenneth Faried".
When Phil Jackson were hired as the Knicks president the Knicks record was 21-40, Phil came on board knowing coach Woodson was Melo's personal puppet, which lead to the Knicks poor record.
The Knicks players went on a 16-5 run when Phil was hired, they were hoping Phil had the power to get rid of Dolan's pet player Melo. Phil didnt have the power to get rid of Melo and it took 81 games to win 17 games

Paul1355

All Star
If anyone seriously thinks Melo is influencing our decisions get real. I don't care what Phil and Mills admitted just look at what Melo has said and how we've gone about our business and who's names get mentioned during the process.

Are they making decisions about the roster based on Melo's presence?

I'm sure there's some back and forth on who fits and won't fit playing alongside him but none more so if they are a triangle fit or if they are a fit to play in this city in general.
Phils comments in the new times article suggest Melo is involved in most cases

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk