Official Trade Rumors Thread

Mike1989

Rookie
Thibodeau will get control of that **** show in Minny. No way he lets one of his guys, Butler, get shipped out of town for pennies on the dollar. Hell, if Towns is the one with the attitude problem, maybe Towns is the one who gets shipped out.

To answer your question, heck yeah, if you could get Butler for any package that doesn?t include KP or a 1st round pick, you do it in a second. No one else on our roster would be untouchable.

Only thing that gives you pause is the worry that Butler won?t extend with you past this season.

If the rumor is true that Jimmy Butler will not sign an extension with the Timberwolves and will opt out and leave in free agency, then they have no leverage when it comes to negotiating trade deals. Sure they will get something in return but it won't be a King's ransom because no team is going to give anything major up for a player that has already openly stated he won't stay in Minnesota. So there is no way we would be sending Porzingis to Minnesota, the most they could hope for is Tim Hardaway and a future pick or Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas and a future pick. Teams aren't going to give up the farm if the rumor is true. However, if Minnesota prefer to keep Butler and trade Towns and Wiggins, then that could still be pretty pricey to acquire them because they have under long term contracts and are still ascending young players (even if they have attitude problems).

As for draft picks that might not be an issue for us if we did trade for Jimmy Butler this off season because we wouldn't be tanking. Now it would make sense to lottery protect our 2019 pick just in case they don't make the play offs, but for 2020 onward we can protect the pick in a similar manner to the pick the Milwaukee Bucks owe - they have it protected 1-3 and 17-30, which makes the pick unlikely to be conveyed because they should be finishing with pick in the latter protected range. So we could protect any pick we send their way in a similar manner and say to them if it hasn't conveyed by 2021 or 2022 we'll send them an unprotected second round pick. Even if we didn't protect the pick in 2020 or 2021, with Butler, KP and hopefully another big name free agent on the books (e.g. sign Kyrie in 2019), then the most we would be losing in a late first round pick which in order to secure Butler and his bird rights would be a sacrifice worth making because we could then extend him to a max deal while signing Kyrie (or another big name) using our cap space.

In regards to your final point, we wouldn't make a trade unless Butler gave some assurances that he would sign an extension with this team. Obviously he could still opt out and leave but the hope would be that if we traded for Butler he would commit long term to this team to play alongside KP and possibly Kyrie from 2019 onward, and that's without considering the other players we have on the roster.

Mike1989

Rookie

Not surprised to see the Spurs wanting a massive deal to send him in conference to a rival.

What I would be interested to see is what their demands would be of a team in the eastern conference. If it's the same then I doubt they will be trading Kawhi any time soon unless they lower their demands.

Kiyaman

Legend
With news out of Minny about Butler being unhappy and will opt out... Should NY act quickly? Make a trade of Knits and Lee?

Getting Butler now will obviously go a long way to recruit the top free agents next year... with KP and Butler, it?s pretty much a lock Kyrie, Kawhi or KD sign with NYK.

However, would it be more prudent to hold on to all our assets? Just play the long game? Getting Butler would mean top 15 pick, not top 5.

So, what would you do?

Try to offer Kanter and Lee? Would you draw line and not deal Knits or Knox? Would you prefer to tank and get another lottery stud then just make run at free agents next summer?

Minny has to act now and get something. They have ZERO shot to win next year... so why play it out then watch JB walk?

Tough call. If you want Butler, how far would you be willing to go?

I think Kanter, Lee, Burke, Mudiay, LT and 2020 first rounder would be what I?m willing to part with.

???-
NY Post

zdale spent the day before the Fourth of July at the Thomas & Mack Center in a ?detailed teaching? session, explaining his position-less basketball offense. It was the first day of Knicks summer league team practice.

With the inking of combo forward Hezonja, the Knicks? free-agent work is mostly done, but next Fourth of July is full of possibility. The Knicks should have maximum cap space, and superstars Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard are due to become free agents. The Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday that Butler and Irving possibly want to team up.

Fizdale probably won?t be in a gym with the rookies next summer but jetting across the country when Fizdale anticipates ?some big moves.?

?For sure,? Fizdale said when asked if he?ll be busier in July 2019. ?We knew coming into this July there wasn?t a lot of money to spend, we wanted to be real strategic with who we went after and if it fit the kind of guys we wanted to have here.

?I felt like we?ve done that and now we can just lock in, get into the group we have, start developing these guys, growing these guys, let them go through the ups and downs. And as we get our culture in place, [Kristaps Porzingis] gets healthy, we start moving into next summer, I really feel like we?ll have the bricks in place to make some big moves.?

I am ready to trade "Tired-KP and Lee" for Butler !!!
I am ready to trade "Tired-KP and Mudiay" for Lilard !!!
I am ready to trade "Tired-KP and Timmy plus a future first rounder" for Kawhi !!!

If Mills/Perry dont trade injury-prone "Tired-KP" now in the 2018 offseason we may be stuck with "Tired-KP LOSER performance" for the next 4 to 5 years by having a insane clueless owner Dolan give Tired-KP a max contract (10 times his worth).
Last season we watch a 35 minute Tired-KP perform in only 48 games that couldn't win on the road vs Lottery teams, nor could Tired-KP average a double-double receiving over 30 minute per in 48 games.
To me last season were "Tired-KP" Last chance to prove he was a winning player !!!

Reading online reports that make it seem like a Kawhi Leonard for DeMar DeRozan trade is not only being discussed, but already a done deal. I hope this blows up in Toronto?s face and KL walks at the end of this season.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Reading online reports that make it seem like a Kawhi Leonard for DeMar DeRozan trade is not only being discussed, but already a done deal. I hope this blows up in Toronto’s face and KL walks at the end of this season.

Wouldn't be shocked. That's why I don't want NYK to be involved in any superstar trades. Better to sign one free agent than to get greedy and give up future assets

mafra

Legend
Updating a previous item, the Spurs have reportedly agreed to trade Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green to the Raptors in exchange for DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl and draft considerations.
Toronto will be taking a bit of a risk on the 27-year-old forward with just one-year left on Leonard's deal and concerns about the health of his quad, but it's not easy for small market teams to acquire a player of Kawhi's caliber, so they'll take the OKC approach and try to woo him during his time in Canada. The arrival of Leonard and Green in Toronto isn't great news for OG Anunoby's outlook, but their departure will be a boon to Lonnie Walker's value. If Leonard can just stay healthy in Toronto, he shouldn't have much trouble churning out elite numbers.

tiger0330

Legend
Bottom line is TOR can pay Kawhi 50M more than any other team and its a great city with a great fan base. Demar is also an LA native that was constantly rumored to be going to LA but chose to sign with the Raps for less than his full max.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
8 guys from 2017 Eastern Conf all-star team are on new teams...

I wonder if TOR did it knowing they can?t beat BOS... so, get KL... showcase him... get a haul for him from LAK at deadline?

That?s how you rebuild? Knowing KL fetch more (young controllable assets) than DeRozan?

?Be told one thing & the outcome another,? DeRozan wrote in an Instagram story early Wednesday morning. ?Can?t trust em. Ain?t no loyalty in this game. Sell you out quickly for a little bit of nothing?

?Soon you?ll understand. Don?t disturb.?

The 28-year-old was the face of the Raptors organization and seemed content to play as long as possible in Canada. DeRozan?s current contract lasts until 2021. He?ll get paid $27.7 million each of the next three seasons.

In May, DeRozan was relegated to the bench in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against the Cavaliers, with the Raptors? season on the line. DeRozan had scored just eight points early in the game and sat and watched for the final 14 minutes, while LeBron James poured in a game-high 38 points and handed Toronto a 3-0 deficit on the way to a sweep.

Toronto head coach Dwayne Casey was fired in June, despite being the NBA?s Coach of the Year. He was replaced by Nick Nurse, who had been an assistant on the team.

Broadway

All Star
8 guys from 2017 Eastern Conf all-star team are on new teams...

I wonder if TOR did it knowing they can’t beat BOS... so, get KL... showcase him... get a haul for him from LAK at deadline?

That’s how you rebuild? Knowing KL fetch more (young controllable assets) than DeRozan?

“Be told one thing & the outcome another,” DeRozan wrote in an Instagram story early Wednesday morning. “Can’t trust em. Ain’t no loyalty in this game. Sell you out quickly for a little bit of nothing…

“Soon you’ll understand. Don’t disturb.”

The 28-year-old was the face of the Raptors organization and seemed content to play as long as possible in Canada. DeRozan’s current contract lasts until 2021. He’ll get paid $27.7 million each of the next three seasons.

In May, DeRozan was relegated to the bench in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against the Cavaliers, with the Raptors’ season on the line. DeRozan had scored just eight points early in the game and sat and watched for the final 14 minutes, while LeBron James poured in a game-high 38 points and handed Toronto a 3-0 deficit on the way to a sweep.

Toronto head coach Dwayne Casey was fired in June, despite being the NBA’s Coach of the Year. He was replaced by Nick Nurse, who had been an assistant on the team.

Derozan can cry all he wants, their coach was fired after having a COY season and all summer it's been rumored Raptors were looking to break up team and possibly go another direction. It's not a good look at times but this is the business they're in, what did he really expect. Maybe he should've played better in the playoffs. He should be happy the organization he's going to.

mafra

Legend
I agree. That group had 5 years to make waves and it seems they?ve reached their ceiling... definition of insanity is to repeat with same ingredient yet expecting different results.

tiger0330

Legend
For at least a year this is a great trade for the Raps. Definite talent edge to them and all they gave up is a low first round pick. Quite a letdown for the Spurs who supposedly were asking for Hart, Kuzma, Ingram and 3 firsts from the Lakers for Kawhi. Celtics still the favorites to win the EC with 2 stars coming back but that Raps team became a little more competitive with Kawhi and Danny Green.

tiger0330

Legend
For at least a year this is a great trade for the Raps. Definite talent edge to them and all they gave up is a low first round pick. Quite a letdown for the Spurs who supposedly were asking for Hart, Kuzma, Ingram and 3 firsts from the Lakers for Kawhi. Celtics still the favorites to win the EC with 2 stars coming back but that Raps team became a little more competitive with Kawhi and Danny Green.
ESPN Insider already posted their trade grade on the Spurs Raps deal. Spurs get a D and the Raps an A- echoing my sentiment about the trade.

Broadway

All Star
ESPN Insider already posted their trade grade on the Spurs Raps deal. Spurs get a D and the Raps an A- echoing my sentiment about the trade.

Spurs didn't get proper value but Kawhi did all he could to kill his value too and appears to be up to the challenge to do the same in Toronto. Masai is banking on a flip most likely but if Kawhi plays an even more dangerous game of chicken with them, the Raps are screwed.

Early reports...he has no intention of resigning nor playing there

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I think Melo opts to play with Lakers. He?ll go for Hollywood and he?ll place getting his shots over competing for a title.

tiger0330

Legend
This is what happens when you have a great GM like Presti. Minutes after trading Melo to ATL he flips Muscala to the Sixers for Cabarrot and Justin Anderson. Muscala plays hard but Anderson and Cabarrot are good athletes with upside. Presti has again managed to rebuild the team again when people considered it unlikely with their cap space and a declining Melo as an asset.

tiger0330

Legend
This is what happens when you have a great GM like Presti. Minutes after trading Melo to ATL he flips Muscala to the Sixers for Cabarrot and Justin Anderson. Muscala plays hard but Anderson and Cabarrot are good athletes with upside. Presti has again managed to rebuild the team again when people considered it unlikely with their cap space and a declining Melo as an asset.
Looks like this was part of a 3 team deal with Anderson going to the Hawks and Cabarrot to OKC. Sixers may not be done according to this.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]